Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
What is the recommended free Antivirus these days? I just moved up to Windows 7 (a little late, I know) and its giving me some kind of warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Toast Museum posted:

I'd go with Microsoft Security Essentials.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a cheap/free scanner and OCR software package? I'd like to use my document feeder scanner to scan bills and whatnot, but I'm tired of 900meg pdfs.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 19, 2014

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

Can anyone recommend a cheap/free scanner and OCR software package? I'd like to use my document feeder scanner to scan bills and whatnot, but I'm tired of 900meg pdfs.

Anybody know of a good Freeware (or cheap) tool that I can use to scan my docs into searchable PDFs?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
What is the most minimal way to automate moving a mouse or sending some keys to a Remote Desktop session to keep the thing alive?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Can't put anything on the other side of the session. Just the local PC.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I ended up finding & modifying a little Powershell script to wiggle the mouse.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I just got a fancy new keyboard and it has a set of keys in the top right that control volume and launch the calculator. However, I use desktop speakers, so I control the volume with a knob, so I don't really have a use for a few of these.

I'd like to rebind the volume keys to do something useful, like lock the screen. I have a Razor mouse, so I have their software installed. Is there a straightforward way to do this with that software or something built in? I know some people on Steam are having ban issues with remapping and automation software, so I don't want to end up in that bucket.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it says the keyboard is sending a key combo it doesn't understand. Weird, since there was no driver for this keyboard and Windows 10 seems to understand what to do natively. Razor apparently wont do any thing unless I bought a Razor keyboard or something.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the help. I'm still paranoid that this is going to cause issues with games like PUBG. I ended up remapping the calculator to lock and using volume up and down to change virtual desktops. I then replaced the clunky Razor software keybinds for switching desktops with mouse listeners.

code:
#InstallKeybdHook
#InstallMouseHook
Return

Launch_App2::
Sleep, 200
DllCall("LockWorkStation")
Return

Volume_Down::#^Left
Xbutton2::#^Left

Volume_Up::#^Right
XButton1::#^Right

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
They still sell the desktop version separately, but yeah, they want to sell you either planner the webpage or planner the central database service. They have dumb names for them, but that's what they are.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Skype will do video conferencing? Hell, so will freebie Teams I think.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I switched from Crashplan to CloudBerry's Windows backup software + Google storage. After a few rough issues with keeping the cloud encrypted and in-sync with the partial file upload stuff it is all working really well the last year or so.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I run a small company too and office 365 for SMBs is awesome. All your business hosting, cloud storage, office software, etc for one monthly price. What is it, 15/user/mo?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Is there a single competent email client for Windows anymore?

I just want something that I can have installed on two machines that can access multiple accounts. Having a built-in calendar would be a big plus.

PostBox and the Bat! are still out there.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
BitWarden is also a nice, open source, alternative that has a hosting option. I don't know the quality of the iOS app though.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
How does Windows license recovery work in the age of Windows 10? From what I can see I have to connect my computer to my MSFT account to have my license linked and if I have that setup I can reinstall from a bootable USB and just log in to have my licensing restored.

For various reasons I don't like the idea of logging into my computer with my "Microsoft" account, so I'm using local admin accounts. I'm paranoid that I'll either get locked out or it'll be too easy for someone else to get in.

Is it time for me to change my MSFT password to something "easy" and use that to log in? Should I create a second admin account and link THAT one to my MSFT account? Is there some 3rd way I'm not thinking of?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

Dunno if changing your password to something less secure is a good idea. I do know that if you set up the MS account on your Windows machine, you can somehow set it to unlock with a PIN instead of a password, like an iPad or something.

Everything other than my phone & computer password are random 10 digit things. I'm not going to memorize and type that poo poo in 2 dozen times a day, so if I have to login using my MSFT password its going to have to be "easy".

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

But.. you don't have to login with the MS account password every time, you can use a 4-digit PIN to login to the computer instead? I don't understand what you're saying. How is typing in an "easy" password easier than typing a 4 digit PIN?

You don't see the difference in ease and security between a 5-8 character easy to remember password, a 4 digit PIN, and a 10 character fully random password?

My original question though is am I required to have my Windows installation tied to a Microsoft account to restore my licensing if something breaks? And if so, what are my options for that account?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
How secure is the Microsoft account bullshit? It appears with my new computers I basically need to use it, but I do not want there to be a way to get into my desktop VIA a court-order.

If I allow login via MSFT to my desktop is it possible for a second person to take control of that account and then credential themselves into my physical machine?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

corgski posted:

Yeah the mitigation for that threat model is full disk encryption with a complex passphrase and keeping your computer fully shut down except for when you are actively using it.

At least if the disk is encrypted they have to do some work to guess a passphrase vs. Hey Microsoft please unlock this whole device. I mean, my Google account doesn't unlock my phone. It doesn't even control the encryption.

Seems like a lot of authority to cede to the cloud on "what if I forget kittens69 is my password!"

Oh, and I can't setup the fingerprint scanner without also setting a PIN? What the gently caress?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

corgski posted:

Oh if you're using a fingerprint scanner you may as well enable microsoft account for everything if your concern is really "someone getting a court order to access the computer" since it'll be just as easy for them and it'll save you the indignity of them physically forcing you to scan your fingerprint.

I guess I'm just an idiot for wanting some level of security more than "send all my passwords to Redmond" but below "hard drive buried outside." Maybe I'm not worried about the CIA breaking into my house but I'd kinda like it if Sgt. Pile couldn't root through it.

My phone seems to have figured out this complex set of "ease of use" and "decent security" challenges, but I guess asking the same of a laptop is too much.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

Every device with a fingerprint scanner I've used has had this requirement, because no scanner is 100% reliable

If your finger is damp it probably won't work

So why couldn't I just type in my password?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
In summary, a "Microsoft account" login to Windows puts you into the global MSFT AD system, allowing them to credential themselves into your machine as well as remotely revoke those credentials.

It also backs up the local encryption credentials and syncs you desktop "experience".

Downside, if your MSFT account is compromised, you can be locked out of your machine. If your MSFT account is compromised, your local machine also is.

Upside, passwords sync across multiple devices. Find my device functionality. New device experience is much improved. MSFT service settings sync between devices.

Downside, if you've setup your MSFT with 2 factor auth you now have to deal with that on a daily basis.

It looks to me that adding the MSFT account vs. a local account only increases the chances that someone gets into the device for marginal benefits. Anything important is backed up to the cloud, so if I lose the device or the encryption is corrupted I'll just start from a reformat. I generally do not want settings to convey between devices. And I'd rather the online account have a high quality password I don't type in every day.

In addition, enabling any other form of login other than password requires you to set a redundant PIN. Any other password or PIN can then be used to login to the device EVEN after a reboot. No idea why MSFT can't copy the biometric processes used by phones, where a real password is required to authenticate into the device on boot then biometrics can be used afterwards.

I appreciate all the helpful technical advice.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
How do I disable Windows automatic restart for updates? I have Windows 10 Pro, I've previously edited GP rules to disable it, but apparently its loving back.

I run simulations on my workstation that take days but this loving "feature" kills them to ensure I have the latest printer drivers or whatever the gently caress.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
It's not like I never restart for updates, it's just a pain in the rear end to set everything back up, which is why I did it Friday. Windows said it was updated and good to go.

So it updated over the weekend and hosed up my stuff anyway.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Got a request on a remote employee monitoring program. The goal would be to have desktops streaming to a TV (probably connected to a laptop) with hopefully Voice 2 text running to capture conversations as well in the closed captioning on each stream. Want to have a display to glance at and see what everyone is working on at any point in time.

The current "draft" plan is to have everyone call into an individual Teams call with a few guest accounts, then use the laptop to get those all one one screen and then connect the laptop to the display.

Is there an easier way to do this? It feels very "tin-can and string" quality. I only need like 6 desktops connected in this way.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Hah, I'd knew that'd set some people off. Its a small and cheap rear end call center. This is in addition to the recorded calls and intended to be for training purposes, but yes, I agree it is very Orwellian.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

I don't know what it's like in the US but up here in Canada I've never had a phone call to a teleworker/call center that wasn't "recorded for quality control and training purposes" or something to that effect. If it's spying on people's work-from-home environments that's loving vile though (just generally speaking, not talking specifically about the goon tasked with doing this).

To be clear, the request is to stream their desktop, not their work space. Nobody is crazy enough (yet) to ask for video of the actual employee. They already have the hubstaff desktop screenshot BS to deal with.

From what I can find the solution to this is one of the many employee / student desktop monitoring solutions that are out there and push the voice to text part onto the VoIP system.

Which will make it a big enough project to get it killed.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Vasler posted:

Holy poo poo, if I can get this to work, you've made my day. I miss tabmixplus so much!

I solved this issue (shitload of tabs) by embracing multiple desktops again. Binding desktop switch left/right to the side keys on my mouse makes it all Minority Report.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Cold is where I'm backing up everything to the cloud, but it's not readily available like OneDrive or Dropbox.

I use FreeFileSync for local backup. :)

CloudBerry + Google Cloud. I like that I own the encryption keys on everything and have some file versioning and retention controls.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
This might be the wildly wrong thread to ask, but is there a good way to archive files up to Azure?

We use Azure blob storage for backup, but those are usually big individual files. I'd like to upload an entire directory tree with the individual files left alone so people can access/browse them later if we need them, but still have them move to archive storage costs.

I only have Azure Storage Explorer and command line options, I cannot seem to get the file-store setup to work since we don't use AD attached devices and I'm not doing the whole VPN into Azure thing required to make all that work apparently.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

When you say "I cannot seem to get the file-store setup to work" are you talking about Azure Files? Because that is probably what you want.
I don't see anything about requiring AAD in there but I could be wrong.

From what I can read I either need AAD for normal ACLs and everything else or I can mount it directly using storage keys. That of course means access is either all or nothing and for some reason it doesn't work. Probably a port blocked somewhere, but then we get into the VPN and I'm already done .

Rclone looks like it'll do what I want. I just need to be able to push the files somewhere else in case we need them later.

Might be able to get away with just pushing files into azure files via storage explorer and working out convient access later.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

Don't bother rotating your master password. It isn't gaining you anything in security, especially with a DIY system like keepass. Instead use that mental bandwidth to memorize a longer password / passphrase.

Whatever source material that helps you keep a password memorized is fine. But when you're using words as a passphrase, you want at least 3-4 words. So "dimethyl hexaflouride" is just 2 words, despite being a chemical that doesn't exist. Each of those words might occur independently in a dictionary, dictionary attacks combine everything at random.

But I'd guess you're probably good -- the amusing thing about a good password manager is that your master password can be weaker than the account passwords that it is protecting. Keepass is cranking it through at least 60000 hash operations before it decrypts, while your bank is probably only doing 1. That's what protects your database against brute force guessing.

Additionally, you get more brute force protection out of expanding the problem space than making it longer. Throw a random number and a few symbols, hell even a period or comma at the end. It'll be significantly more difficult to hit without doing an exhaustive search.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
If you're on O365 we use OneNote as a form of Wiki for things like operations manuals and other documentation. Works pretty well for our small company.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

CoolCab posted:

oh! okay, i guess there's no feature that would sway me i'm waiting out the five years of 10 support at least, thanks for clarifying that for me lol

I switched to using virtual desktops so every desktop only has a few windows on it. Apparently the future is everything maximized all the time.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Whats the current recommendation for people who occasionally need to make a PDF but don't want to pony up for Adobe?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Is it finally time to update my desktop to Windows 11? Or is this a ain't-broke-don't-fix-it kind of situation?

I'm not a MSFT cloud anything user, so local accounts and all that on my current config. I know on my laptop (now running 11) that's been weird since Microsoft REALLY wants you to login with your MSFT account instead of a local one.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Is there a real, identifiable feature on Windows 11 you want? Are you OK with your desktop OS looking and functioning a lot more like a tablet OS?

If so, go nuts. Otherwise, I wouldn't.

Nah, nothing major that I can think of on the Windows 11 side.

I've updated my laptop already. I just can't get squared on the cloud-first OS stuff. I really don't like the idea that someone else has access to reset my password, or auth in to my machine. Ever.

I really didn't like that setting up the fingerprint required me to also setup an insecure PIN (like a drat tablet!) instead of just using the password I already had setup.

Is this the current version of "thats why you need NT/Enterprise/Pro/Workstation" Windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Iirc, pins are local only, can't be automated from within Windows, and failed attempts are cut off at like eight before it locks you out until restart. It's dumb it doesn't let you use password as your backup, but it's not really appreciably less secure for realistic normal people threat models, imo.

Yeah, I try not to be a crazy person, but I don't want it to be easy to get into my systems. In this case, its the stupid that bothers me more than the threat vector.

Right up there with "to enable device encryption you gotta put in a thumb drive" which somehow comes from a world where the cloud DOESNT exist.