Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Ghostlight posted:

No, they changed how documents were handled in Excel 2013 and that is no longer an option.

Funny part is that while this is awesome, all of those separate windows are the same excel.exe process which means that one of them crashing spectacularly can cause all the others to die as well. I work with traders and they were flipping out about this the first time it happened after moving to 2013 (last year, btw... they hate to upgrade).

In order to get a new excel.exe process, you now have to
1) hold the Alt key down while clicking to start Excel
2) keep holding alt
3) say “yes” in the pop up that asks if you “really want to open another instance of excel”
4) profit, but prepare for weird focus issues with multiple monitor setups

Excel is the best lovely application in the world, by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Fleedar posted:

Is there a way to permanently apply folder view options to every folder in Windows 10? There is never a moment that I don't want to see a folder in Details view with Name, Type, Size, and Date Modified columns. I know you can apply the current view settings to all folders "of this type", but it never wants to stick forever, and it seems I'm always stumbling across folders Windows thinks are a new "type" with different default view options that I don't want.

There are few things in technology that I feel like a luddite about, but if I could use the Windows 95/98 version of Windows Explorer unchanged in Windows 10, I totally would.

You were only missing one step to make this work perfectly... go to folder options, advanced tab and find the checkbox “remember each folder’s view settings” and uncheck it. Then go set the folder view how you want it, then click that “apply the current view to all folders of this type” button.

I’ve been doing this since I said the exact same thing in win2000... :) “I never don’t want the details!”

I hope I got the steps right, I’m not in front of a machine

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

hambeet posted:

I think I've used musicbrains picard a few years back, I liked what it could do for some of the less obscure tracks, but I have a feeling it hosed up some of the others when I got impatient and just pointed it at the whole music folder.

FWIW you might want to try musicbrainz Picard again. I used it a long time ago too and I though it worked great with the sole exception that it seemed to favor compilations instead of albums by the artist... like it would put a song in “Jock Jams” rather than keep it in the full “ace of bass” album I had or whatever.

I checked it out more recently and that issue was specifically noted as an improvement or fix on there site.

Aside from that wrinkle, it worked really well and I was amazed given how crappy my mp3 collection was.

Only other thing I can think of is give it enough time because it takes foooooorever due to the throttling it does to not hit the free song ID database it uses.

If anyone else has used it recently I’d like to hear their experience. I’ve wanted to run it again but haven’t found the time yet

Good luck!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I’m about to reinstall windows tonight... where do I find these mythical, no bs drivers again?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Lol, we do a ton of stuff in excel at work... seriously, we had to move some people to x64 office because some of the sheets wouldn’t open and calculate in 32-bit office. I had to recompile our COM addins to work in both versions.
While it’s not ideal, in the back of my head I’m always thinking:
Spreadsheet applications are responsible for the PC revolution more than any other app by a wide margin. Their ease of use and power is literally what caused most businesses to buy computers and hence make them affordable for the average person.
No matter how much spreadsheets suck to work with sometimes (they do), they have quite a legacy.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Double from awful app

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Double Punctuation posted:

And I thank god every day that Excel singlehandedly killed off 32-bit Office and all the absolute loving garbage add-ons people shat out in VB6.

Ha! We’re still on office 2013 at work so I hadn’t thought of this. That is cool. From our perspective, we just had to recompile since everything’s in .net using CCW’s to integrate with COM/excel. It just sucked to manage 2 different packages.

Pretty sure upgrading to the latest office or o365 or whatever is gonna happen next year.

Anybody hear that you will be able to use python integrated into o365 like VBA? I know I read it somewhere but can’t find any info now.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

mystes posted:

I think it was just excel and they were just considering doing it but I'm not sure it actually happened? They did add javascript, though and apparently there's an editor available as an add-in now: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/garage/profiles/script-lab/

This is awesome, thanks

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Max Wilco posted:

What's a good, free password program/utility to use? I saw something about KeePass earlier today, and looking at it, I like that it's offline, but I read it has some issues, some involving Windows 10, which I suppose I'll have to upgrade to soon.

I use keepass religiously... it has zero problems with windows 10. It’s the best one imho... use OneDrive or Dropbox to sync the password database file it uses to your phone or other computers where you need the passwords

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Lambert posted:

Don't use any of those programs, go through the privacy settings manually and uninstall all the programs you don't want in the start menu. Using "decrapifiers" can only cause problems down the line.

Even Shutup10?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Hey, so I have an odd bluetooth question:
I have a Jabra Speak 410 usb speaker phone hooked up to my desktop. I also have an Asus BT-400 bluetooth receiver plugged into the same. It shows up as a BCM20702A0 device

I'd like to connect my iPhone X to my desktop via bluetooth to use the jabra as a speakerphone. I am convinced that this will work and I've done something similar in the past... I've gone to Asus' website and installed their drivers here:
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBBT400/helpdesk_download/
for Windows 10 x64, but haven't noticed any other app installed to manage connections or anything.

Bluetooth settings in Win10 seem to really suck, they're way too simple. I can't seem to choose what "profile" my desktop will support or broadcast to devices that want to connect.

Any ideas?

Thank you

edit: vvvvvvvv thx for the response below... but it's not the iPhone I don't think. All I'm trying to do is use the desktop as a bluetooth headset. this is something I do with actual bluetooth headsets all the time. I just need the desktop to present itself as a bluetooth headset... something I'm pretty sure i've done in the past. But maybe you're right.

namlosh fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 26, 2020

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

me your dad posted:

I didn't see an Office thread, but I imagine someone here will know this - if I am pasting in a bunch of email addresses into an Outlook appointment, can I paste them in this format, will it work?

Jane Smith <jsmith@address.com>; John Doe <jdoe@email.com>; Bob Smith <bsmith@aol.com>

This assumes all names are in our company's active directory (which they are), if it matters.

Try it and hit ctrl-k

If it works, then you have your answer

I think it does at my job

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I’m a keepass supporter through and through, but the client I use (MiniKeePass) is popping up a notification that it’s going away. I’ve been using it for years and it works well for me, but now I have to find an alternative. I don’t mind paying for an app, but screw subscriptions. Anybody have any suggestions?

IOS if it wasn’t clear

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

You may not want to deal with this and reinstalling is probably a better idea, but here’s an article on troubleshooting a “Kernel-Power failure eventID 41” like you have.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/troubleshoot-event-id-41-restart

Toward the bottom it lists a bunch of hardware things to check.

Also, I thought the CAPS LOCK thing was interesting. Didn’t know that

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

A common issue that I run into a lot is that Windows defines my home network as public when it should be private. Have you checked for that?

Seconding this... it has done something to switch my home network to public multiple times. Make sure it’s set to private on both machines.

You’re not doing anything crazy with networking like multiple subnets, right? That’s what got me last time.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

bird with big dick posted:

It just started working, I think the last thing I did was turn off the firewall for private network completely (which I already tried like 3 times but maybe I made another change since then or maybe I hit the magic number of reboots or maybe the magic number of unsharing and then resharing).

My wifes Samsung phone is going to give all my computers herpes when she clicks on a phishing text link now, right?

It’s already too late. We are all infected now

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Robocopy via a scheduled task would get the job done for something that simple.

Good thing I refreshed before I posted... seconding this. /MIR option is what you want once you’re sure of your source/destination

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Robocopy? I forget if synctoys was just a UI for that or if I’m thinking of something else

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Driveby question: I'm getting a new windows box after a long time. Is Ninite still useful for initial software installation, or has it been infected by profit-seeking like everything else has?

I just used it 3 months ago. It’s still good. I think there are probably “better” alternatives out there, at least for certain stuff… but it did what it always has and I didn’t get the feeling it had a malware/spying payload or anything.

Alternatives would be like, windows package manager and chocolatey and such, I guess?
I also installed the Nirsoft tools along with their new launcher. Anyone missing classic windows forms interfaces should take look. It’s peak winforms. Had to add an exception folder to Defender when unzipping the archive lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ah, that final free forever version of Macrium should do the trick. Thanks!

I just did this a couple of months ago on my moms machine and it worked perfectly. Felt weird to download the software from MajorGeeks or whatever but it worked like a charm. You better believe I saved that installer for future use