Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
at that I lol'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Can't wait for football weekly to be back. I was amped as hell when downcast told me I had a new episode of The Ramble. Finally the summer is almost over.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I really like Sid, but the whole "Sid Lowe cynic voice" was hilarious.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

I am OK posted:

I started feeling quite sorry for Sid! A lot of pent-up tension came out there.

I don't think I listen to it for football any more. I just like the bullshit.

This. I almost feel like the ramble has better actual content... IDK, both are just fun to listen to while I drive.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
It's basically just a comedy podcast to me at this point, but I'm pretty fine with that.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
It was around the time of the Real Oviedo thing, iirc. Jim and Barry were digging into Sid when the whole ep before getting him on the horn.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Barry is the best? Well, best after Jimbo. All those other guys are cool or whatever, but the chemistry with Jimbo and Barry takes the show to the next level.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
If anyone listens to beyond the pitch here there's some drama. Apparently anto stole all the money and went ghost. Disappeared.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
The Ramble without Marcus isn't great. I like the awful opening question bit. Football Weekly's with Jimbo and Barry rule. I can't get into The Game... Gab Marcotti's voice, idk.

Is the show Barry does with Max Rushden a pod? Edit: I googled it. Guess it is.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
First max ep was good. I'm a genuine fan of both max and jimbo and I'm pretty happy that I'll get to listen to them each on their own shows every week now. Which I guess I all ready did if you count the warm up.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I think the European football show has been my favorite so far this season and i can't wait for the rambles new European show to be basically the same thing so we have more shows that are the same shows for my hours of commuting.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Got through the first half of on the continent before I got home and it sounds a lot like the European football show with Andy and James running the show with The ramble lads fighting to get a weak joke in. That said I think I like it.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

britishbornandbread posted:

How does Luke compare when thrown in with pundits who do know what they're talking about?

He seems a lil out of his depth.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Barry's lack of insight and funny voice are what makes FW and his radio show with Max, hope that helps.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Yeah I’m probably going to be off fw until he gets back. The ramble boys are doing an alright job with the main shows I think

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Time for all weekly podcasts to pretend it’s a season from the past and do a week by week like that season is happening right now imo.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

an_mutt posted:

re: people's problems with Max on Football Weekly, I've been listening through the archives over the summer while redoing the garden and his first guest host appearance was a mix of him being amusing but also him basically showing off all of his relationships with minor celebrities, being a spoiled rich oval office complaining about having to furnish his newly bought London flat, the fact that he can play the clarinet, etc. the following episode the pod discussed how some listener commentary was "never get this snooty prick on the cast ever again", i assume some of the dislike of him is a carry over of this.

Here's the episode for anyone who cares, and the follow-up.

It’s funny because I liked max exactly because of the reasons you listed for people not liking max. I thought it was a fun character to listen to because of how trite the poo poo he liked to focus on was. I also loved his schtick of reading negative comments.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Petition to rename FR to Football company since 3’s company but 4s a ramble

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I’m not from the UK so maybe there’s some larger thing I’m missing here, why is it so disgusting?

I might be remembering wrong but I distinctly remember Barry talking odds on FW extra during the earlier years (maybe 2010-12?) so I think they’ve actually officially had a betting sponsor at certain points.

Football ramble def launched their preview show as a paid thing from ... betway? Whatever year that was

The Totally football show has paddy power as a title sponsor.

Seems like a hard thing to get away from. I’m not a gambler but i don’t think I could swing a stick without hitting someone betting on sports in some way. People love it—daily leagues, fan duel, traditional fantasy stuff.

I’m genuinely curious why you’ve got that reaction because I’m pretty ambivalent towards it. Tho it was totally Max to absolve his guilt by crowdsourcing other opinions like that

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Max’s best bits as a guest host were

3) Talking about managers clothes and ignoring the football until a panelist got annoyed
2) his b-list celebrity name drops
1) reading all the hate mail from his last pod

Also I think he mentioned that microwave story way more than twice... I feel like he made it a running gag but I can’t remember now.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

algebra testes posted:

Also Blizzard's Great Games Podcast is great now it's on it's own feed, but mastered too low! So when I go from it to music my ears get annihilated by the volume change.

Most podcast apps allow you to define custom listening levels / vocal boost / etc. for individual pods. That might help your ears not get annihilated during a switch.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Does anyone still listed to beyond the pitch? I remember them doing really interesting reporting and then the presenter kind of stole everything, gritted them, and hosed off a few years ago. I just kind of randomly thought about that today… looks like it’s still an active feed

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
If you google whatever I googled to find that feed this morning you find a Reddit thread where the OP is complaining about the lack of professionalism lol.

Unreal that it’s been like 4 years since that switch… I thought for sure I was going to miss AC Jimbo but nope, I think I enjoy the pod better with max.

I do miss the football ramble original format tho… bring back the opening questions and don’t give kissing the yellow card. I am into the kind of historical pods tho and that teams of our lives series finally convinced me to sub to their Patreon.

I wonder how many hours I’ve spent listening to FW and TFR over the last like 12-13 years or however long It’s been.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

I also miss the original FR format but I do like dipping in and out of the new format, I like Vish a lot and of the original crew I think I miss Donaldson the least when he's not on a show.

I’ve sent in several emails to the boys (and girls now) using my very good joke about how by their own rules it is now the football company (3’s company, 4’s a ramble). I also like the new format, I spend a lot of time in the car so I appreciate the daily content. I definitely loved the idea of it just being 4 dudes recording in someone’s kitchen (which I know was only that first season or two) though. There were some misses, but going for glold and the dean windlass hall of fame were always fun to listen to.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Lol, absolutely agree. I actually think the only one of the original 4 I really like on their own is Marcus. But the 4 of them definitely added up to more than the sum of their parts. I'm going through the back catalog of Teams of Our Lives now and yeah, love it. OTC is also great since I am primarily a Serie A man. The Serie A round up is one of the only things I miss about Jimbo era FW.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
You shouldn't ever take my advice on money if you're trying to save because that's not my strong point.... so yeah worth it so far. I'm in the mood to binge some of the evergreen content and I've been following greatest games since they started that with The Blizzard so I didn't know where else to turn. I got $10 worth of content today alone IMO binging the back catalog of Teams of Our Lives. I also subscribed when they did the Acast stuff years ago - the ad free is nice.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Bobby Digital posted:

Golazzo with Jimbo, Gab, and Horncastle is good. I really liked the Ronaldo episode from a few months ago.

I remember liking Golazzo, but i realized it wasn’t in my regular rotation so I checked the feed: looks totally random when they decide to launch a season. Hopefully it gets more episodes this season.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I back Barry here. He asked Barry what he’s doing to do better, Barry told him, and he said it was worthless but didn’t give anything actionable that he thought wasn’t worthless. I don’t understand how it’s worthless to actively get diverse voices on FW because panelists are “elites” ? Idk

Im not done with the podcast yet and I’m trying to make sure I’m not missing his point…

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I can blame the guy if he doesn’t offer actionable solutions or steps and instead belittles the steps others are taking. It’s real easy to do that. I do it all the time when I’m pissed off like I’m sure most of us do, but I know it doesn’t add anything. It just tears people down, doesn’t add anything meaningful, and it’s a huge frustration of mine.

Edit: after I submitted, I felt I had to clarify: you can write a book screaming into the void about all the poo poo that is wrong. That I'm 100% in favor of, what I'm not in favor of is acting superior because you did that, tell people the steps they're taking make no difference, and then don't offer actionable.

grvm fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 11, 2021

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

nawilo_420 posted:

Horrible take by jonathan liew on zouma kicking the cat in the latest pod :cripes:

Do you know a time stamp? Idk when I’m going to listen to it but I also don’t love JW and want to add some more ammunition to that stance.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I’m a ramble semi regular, but it’s under FW for me now. I can’t stand the new On the Continent, which was my favorite ramble when Marcus hosted. I’m not English so idk if I’m supposed to know and like the host but he sounds like a grandfather reading the script over his glasses with everything he says.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Idk, I think I agreed with baz. Calling for that guys job when the team didn’t complain and apparently likes working with him seemed like… an overly sensitive reaction.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
One of them is the “I’m out shagging every night” ep and that gets me every time.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I also like the new ramble, Vish is the only one who hasn’t grown on me. However, I am nostalgic for the OG line up and also for Marcus to be host of OTC again because I can’t stand Dotun.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Ramble 15 year specials got me all nostalgic for old ramble and for old times

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Thank you for this! Also seeing that the Linford Grimes YouTube has a bunch of old comps. Gonna relive my time as a broke delivery boy obsessed with this dumb sport by listened to all the 2008-2011 stuff.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I absolutely did not get that they’re going back to the original 4 for a Ramble from that update, but I’ve been wrong very often so here’s hoping. I do wish they’d put Marcus back on OTC - that was probably my favorite show when he hosted. Dotun and Andy together are too grandfatherly for me to get into that show at all.

I think it’s pretty cool that they’re putting the Women’s content on it’s own feed (according to the Upfront from yesterday) I hope it doesn’t impact the listenership negatively. I know I wouldn’t have sought out a women’s football focused pod, but I enjoy them when they come up.

e: I guess I was half wrong, not the original line up but back to four person panel.

grvm fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Will they open up the war chest after dave left or are they going to leave it to the youngsters? Leaving it late in the window ….

Also yes, need it back asap.