Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Barney Ronay is an annoying prat, by far the worst of the football weekly regulars imo. Although Sean Ingle's stuttering is quite a handicap to have for an audio only format.

Jimbo and Barry hold the show together sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

MoPZiG posted:

Good to hear Steve Claridge tearing into Capello on 606.

What was he saying?

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Stim posted:

Also I hope they don't have the guy from Zonal Marking on often. I already find his articles annoying enough.

Seconded.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
I liked the latest adventures of Adrian Mutu this week.

Tries to buy champagne, has no money, gets mad at waiter for not knowing who he is, waits in the street till the early hours and beats the waiter up once he's finished work.

Mental dickheads do the wackiest things. I hope Chelsea get all his money.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

ICA posted:

Jesus Christ, guys.

What are you on about?

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Jippa posted:

:blush: I was fooled.

e - Also jimbo was on fire today with his tasteless jokes. The bot about the yellow card being 'heart less" etc.

No you were right.

And Jimbo was great. The heartless quip was genius.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
I stopped listening to the Game because of Barclay. He's just insufferable.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
What's this cake stuff about?

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
I don't find the football ramble as good as it used to be. Don't know if it's because I'm bored of the same jokes every single episode or because going for glold has exposed them as being considerably less knowledgeable than I thought they were.

Football weekly has got even better though, more Honingstein and that serie A guy and less Barney and Ingle = :cool:

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

peanut- posted:

Most of the hints given in that section are pretty drat obscure - especially starting with no reference points like the time period or player nationality.

Well he normally tells them their date of birth (thus leading into another hilarious summer of love joke) and often where they were born so you can usually get the era and nationality from those. Some of the clues are incredibly obscure but I'm no anorak and I've gotten the name before all of them each time so far. They've struggled with some really basic stuff as well like on the Henning Berg one when he asked them what other players had won the premiership with different clubs which is a piece of piss and they struggled even after he told them they played for Chelsea iirc.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Mickolution posted:

Haven't had a chance to listen to the most recent one yet, but surely that's what makes it more interesting?

It would be interesting if they were talking about what they remembered from first hand experience. I love listening to old United fans talk about Best and Edwards etc, but just listening to them read out whatever turns up when they google a name and then guessing at what they were like is boring as gently caress.

Marcus: "He scored 87 goals in 162 games".
Luke: "Sounds like someone who knows where the back of the net is".

Imo one of the few good profiles they have done was Prosinecki and that was because of Luke talking about what it was like watching him rock up at the club he supported in the first division and help save them from relegation. Hearing him talk about that was a million times more interesting to me than someone reciting which clubs he played for and what he won at each of them.

Lot 49 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 13, 2011

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Auclair was talking poo poo. If he thinks Arshavin needs to be surrounded by top class players to play well then he never saw him play for Zenit or for Russia when he looked fantastic partnered with loving Pavlyuchenko. And he has played poo poo numerous times for Arsenal when in the team with Fabregas and Nasri and the players Auclair were saying he needed around him.

Lot 49 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 19, 2011

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

Poor Barry Glendenning, getting punched in a bar on St. Patrick's Day.

Punched by an Arsenal fan who was celebrating Muamba potentially dying, because he thought Muamba was a Tottenham player.

Has to be a strong contender for twat of the year.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Is Patrick Barclay still on The Game podcast? He was single-handedly responsible for me giving up on that one about a year ago.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Cheers. I'll give it another go then.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
It was something about Begovic not having any say over transferring to United...

... because beggars can't be choosers.

They were laughing because it was so bad.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

marcadia posted:

Why is Jimbo so harsh to Sid Lowe all the time? Does he just not like La Liga or is there another reason? I thought Sid was going to snap at him again this week.

Imo a lot of it is because Richardson like to keep the show a) moving quickly and b) be at least as funny as it is informing. Lowe takes way longer to get his points across than the other pundits, many of whom essentially speak in sound bites, and he just isn't good at making jokes.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
What would be people's ideal football podcast?

I want proper fans, not journos, who are at least reasonably articulate and funny. And I want it focused on basically the premier league only. Like the first 15 minutes of the ramble are always the best imo because they actually know the teams/players/managers well but it's nowhere near as good as it could be because they skip so much stuff to save time. Which they then spend later on talking about leagues where they clearly don't watch much outside of the odd Barcelona/Juventus/etc match and reading out old player profiles from wikipedia.

Basically I think I want the weeks best/funniest posts from TRP EPL thread read out in accents of the appropriate stereotype for an hour.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
I didn't think they could find someone else as insufferable as Ronay but they managed it.

Also I always thought Pete from the Ramble used toilet humour and told stories about getting drunk and buying pianos because he was playing a clown, but in reality he was quite smart. Listening to their Hazard vs. ball boy discussion has ended that delusion. The man's an idiot. I felt sorry for the other two hosts when every point they made was answered with him shouting "he's a footballer, he's paid to set a good example."

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Honigstein is my favourite too.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
http://audioboo.fm/channel/united-we-stand-podcast

Sid Lowe was on the latest United We Stand podcast. I found it interesting how much better he comes across in a format which is slower and more serious. Football weekly is too quick and irreverent for him imo.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Isn't he the guy that's rl friends with someone on this forum?

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Jippa posted:

The problem with the game is it's just marcotti using the same shtick he used a decade ago on talksport which is just shouting ridiculously hyperbolic questions then waiting for bored sounding people to calmly rely to him.

It was boring back then but it's really grating now. They should get some one different to host and just have him as a pundit (which he is decent at).

Football First in Europe with him, Balague and Durham was amazing and I'd kill to have recordings of some of their arguments.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
What was the tweet?

Also 'Why did they get beat 4-1? ... because Ashley Young is crap' is the most correct Auclair has ever been about anything.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
The hall of fame was the worst part of the show imo and now it's gone the ramble is my favourite football podcast.

It was only good if it was a player they'd actually seen a lot of, which is basically people who had played in the premier league. Everyone else just had their wikipedia page read out like bbb said.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Jim (the Arsenal fan) is the one with glasses.
Pete (the Newcastle fan) is the one in the sleeveless robe thing.
Luke (the Portsmouth fan) is the big scruffy one.
And obviously the other one is Marcus.

Also I agree with other posters that Luke is the best and Pete is the worst.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
He's the West Ham fan.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Glendenning is up their with Lawrenson now in the stakes of people whose job it is to talk about football but are seemingly incredibly bored by it.

Imagine those two commentating on a match together. christ.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Jeff Goldblum.

A-List.

y/n?

imo Pete and Jim are right. Luke and Marcus are letting their love of Jurassic Park cloud their judgement.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Suarez.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
The Ramble's new intro reminds me of another song but I can't put my finger on what.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Tuesday Club have done their first episode in a year and it's pretty good.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

algebra testes posted:

I also liked Barry's "worst game of football" story.

Can you remember at what point in the episode it was?

I gave up after about 20 minutes this week because I want to hear them be funny and talk about football. Instead I got renowned social commentators Max and Barry pontificating about sexism and racism. Would never have happened under Jimbo's watch :(

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

algebra testes posted:

1:00 hour on the dot gets you that, and the widely re-posted Roy Keane story.

edit: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jan/19/crystal-palace-bolton-wanderers-championship

That's Barry's report and it's a really good read!

Thank you kindly.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

RideTheSpiral posted:

Can't even be sexist and racist in football anymore

Circular discussion is just always boring as gently caress to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Lot 49 posted:

Barney Ronay is an annoying prat, by far the worst of the football weekly regulars imo. Although Sean Ingle's stuttering is quite a handicap to have for an audio only format.

Jimbo and Barry hold the show together sometimes.

My very first post in this thread.

He's terrible and has always been terrible. It normally doesn't get talked about because the FW pundits (like most pundits) are bad at debate so they tend to circle jerk and agree with each other's opinions. Like a few weeks back Ronay went on a rant about VAR which was even more bullshit than his Tottenham whining but the rest of them lapped it up. This time for once someone challenged him and he had a temper tantrum. Now no-one will disagree with him for about a year.