Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
tim vickery owns but the amount of stupid crap on the world football phone-in does my head in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
the mention of tim lovejoy is a good excuse to post one of my favourite reviews of anything ever

http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/145/29/

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
pretty sure he's just a freelance journo who's doing bits for whoever's offering to pay him. it's not like he's breaking a tightly bound guardian contract or anything

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I would pay one English pound for a panellist-only edit of the World Football Phone-in

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Sad Panda posted:

Indeed, Jonathan Wilson is wonderful. The most knowledgeable pundit on Football Weekly and fairly interesting. His dry wit isn't always as good as Glenndenning but he's probably my favourite pundit. World Cup Daily was good and I'm looking forward to the return of Football Weekly. The Game World Cup was a complete waste of time so I hope the regular one will be better.

His book about 10 key matches in England's history is a great read, I want him to start writing contextual narratives on every Premiership game this season

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Less of that smug Zonal Marking guy please.

Would love to listen to the World Football Phone-in but Dotun Adebayo makes it really, really difficult

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Barney Ronay is great what are you talking about

BTW if like me you want to listen to Tim Vickery but can't stand the doddery bollocks of the rest of the World Football Phone in, he does 10 minute bits on Talksport every week that can be downloaded, along with Sid Lowe, Auclair and others

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

peanut- posted:

Barney Ronay is awful and it's painful listening to Jimbo not giving into temptation to call him an idiot every time he's on.

I think he's quite amusing and clearly doesn't take anything too seriously. He's also the most entertaining writer on the site, even though he often gets lumped with the most tedious topics to write about.

Ingle with his contextless stats and betting tips is useless though.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
The guy seems quite busy to be fair. He does commentary on Spanish games for LaSexta, a terrestrial channel here in Spain, which is insane. Most people find it difficult to commentate even in their first language.

Have there ever been any non-native English speaking commentators in England? I can only think of Jan Molby on Radio 5.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
The enthusiasm they all have is definitely a plus point. Sometimes the Guardian podcast gets a bit too bogged down in the weary cynicism that probably comes from having to write about young idiot millionaires all day for a living.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
On FW you can really hear the huge gulf in quality between the interesting, knowledgeable freelance journos and the Guardian bloke-in-the-pub office hacks

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
To be fair it's not just an English thing. You should listen to Spanish commentators trying to pronounce 'Wilshere'

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Enjoyed the Partridge/Richardson guessing game, and also the implication that it genuinely bugs Jimbo to be always referred to as "ex-Football Italia presenter".

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I like how the Football Ramble present themselves as sophisticated europhiles when they can't pronounce 'Ramos' correctly

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
They should have spent 40 minutes discussing Jen Chang

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
There were no non-englsh games...

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Michael Cox sounds like the smuggest man in the world.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I was wondering where I'd heard his voice before - he's Mr Eurosport!

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I've no idea why Football Weekly's bothering to cover the Confederations Cup every day but i'm grateful for it

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Franz Carr

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
When's Jimbo back? Not that I have anything against Max Rushdon, I find his Partridge-esque crap celebrity namedrops quite endearing

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
He has the exact same voice as Graham Linehan, or maybe I just can't tell Irish people apart

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

Even in that regard, he's by far one of the least smug on there. If we're shooting people for being smug, and we should be, then Sid Lowe, Sean Seany Ingle, Glendenning, Auclair, Smyth, Wilson and even Jimbo should be terminated.

LET ME BE CLEAR: I am willing to murder Rob Smyth.

At least those guys are often interesting and/or funny. I don't know what Jacob Steinberg brings to the table and he's on seemingly every episode.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
FW's still good, it's just been going on for ages and we all know what to expect by now. I found some 2006 World Cup episodes on an unused laptop recently...that makes me feel old.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
It's a podcast from an British newspaper with a British presenter and a mostly British panel, broadcasting to a mostly British audience. If anything they don't cover the Championship enough.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
An underrated part of the pod is hearing which wacky TV broadcasting jobs James Richardson is taking next. The guy should have fired his agent years ago.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Lads are just nerds who chose something socially acceptable to be obsessive about

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Listening to Jacob Steinberg speak is like watching an Allardyce team play football

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Bumping to say that I love Jonathan Wilson's African Adventures™ and glad that they will return to Football Weekly in January

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Mickolution posted:

Isn't Steinberg quite young? I seem to remember some mentions of him being in his early 20s when he was first on FW. Maybe he's just matured a bit.

I know people don't really like The Times one, but other than James Scowcroft who is just ridiculously biased towards United, the guests are usually very good.

I think that was the smug Zonal Marking guy.

Steinberg's so miserable I can't take listening to him anymore.

Also what's up with Sid Lowe never answering his phone, I like to imagine its a Father Larry Duff situation

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
He's no Jimbo but I liked Eurosport Guy. Makes you wonder why football presenters on mainstream TV are so devoid of personality (Manish I'm looking at you)

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Looking forward to him recounting almost dying in a plane disaster in a dreary monotone

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I think Sid and especially Barney are pretty self-aware, I prefer them to journos who take football so loving seriously

Also does anyone else think Jimbo's losing it (in a good way)? He's throwing in more weird references and non sequiturs than ever

Monday Bandele fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 21, 2015

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Is it just me or is Producer Ben gradually undertaking a mission to take over Football Weekly?

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Producer Ben is too busy talking in Jimbo's ear and plugging his stuff instead of being an audio producer

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
James Richardson's deep knowledge of Grime is unexpected and hilarious

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Try the World Football Phone In for the curious blend of drunk British pub bores and American sperglords testing Tim Vickery's infinite patience

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
The problem is that the Guardian office hacks are as interesting and knowledgeable as your average guy in the pub

Whenever they have on a journalist who actually goes out and reports and or is a real broadcaster, it picks up a lot

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I don't get the Sid hate. I guess giving lengthy, detailed, informed answers stands out when the rest of the pod is "uhhh they played bad last week so maybe they will play bad this week"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Looking forward to Jacob Steinberg's Football Extravaganza