Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
He missed Max off his thank you list ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Are there any decent Football League podcasts? I keep trying to listen to the Totally Football League Show, before remembering it's 60 minutes of Ian Macintosh.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Ninpo posted:

The Tesco Value Phillipe Auclair guy, Julien Laurens or whatever the gently caress his name is, makes up for a number of them in terribleness though.

He's by far the most annoying guest they have*, though he was hilariously salty after PSG got knocked out of the CL.

(*Well, Ian Macintosh too, but he didnt seem to be on it much, mercifully)

Is there any hint as to how well TTFS is doing? It hasn't really carved it much of an identity for itself, it's just Football Weekly with worse guests.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Lmao Barry can never resist slagging off a Totally Football Show contributor

https://twitter.com/bglendenning/status/1018200105156046849

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Jippa posted:

I appreciated barry talking about gambling advertising. You just sort of accept it because there is so much of it.

It was funny hearing Jonathan 'blogger for Unibet' Wilson trying to nip it in the bud though.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
The best Football Weekly lineup is clearly Rushden, Glendenning, Wilson, Auclair.

Though I'm cooling on Glendenning, to be honest

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

sassassin posted:

They don't host a podcast discussing Welsh football.

What does he not know?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

sassassin posted:

Thought we'd released Routledge for one thing. This was months after he'd signed a new deal, maybe even after the season had started.

But maybe it's an act to make Gabbidon sound insightful.

Aw I like Gabbidon as a pundit (well, for an ex-player anyway)

While we’re doing a Football Weekly/Wales podcast crossover: Barry Glendenning cannot for the life of him pronounce Iwan Roberts’ name properly, and it drives me insane

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

webmeister posted:

Barry’s pronunciation is miles off on a lot of names, Naimar/Neymar being the most egregious. Listening to him talk about Nabil Fekir will always be hilarious though

“Moor-eeen-oh” is the worst

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Mickolution posted:

Saw that last night. Seemed he was just being contrarian for the sake of it, which he is wont to do. Hopefully they have a good panel on to discuss it.

I get the impression that he's far more conservative than he lets on. Any time they try to discuss delicate/contentious issues like racism in football, or the progress of women's football, he either barely seems interested or comes up with these contrarian takes

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Musa Okwonga is very good

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
He always does this pathetic thing of wilfully misinterpreting what someone has said and then acting like they're stupid.

E.g. Max saying that someone as highly paid as Mourinho should be able to get something out of his players, which Ronay interpreted as 'heh, I don't think the players are motivated on the pitch by the manager's pay packet, you idiot :smug:', rather than the incredibly obvious point Max was actually making (i.e. that someone deemed talented enough to command one of the highest salaries in the PL should be capable in theory of doing more with that squad).

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Bundy posted:

I took it more as Ronay being bored with the same old points being made as if it's news that Mourinho plays defence first football? :shrug:

Yeah, there is that, to be fair. But talking about why Mourinho can't be flexible enough to mix it up even when squad limitations should force him to probably makes for a more interesting listen that the truism of 'Mourinho teams play Mourinho football, next topic'.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Weavered posted:

Only listened to a few but ironically the most interesting one was the episode with Max that covers him replacing Jimbo and the build up to that.

Apart from this one, the only other one I remember being interesting was the one with the stadium architect.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

oliwan posted:

Barney ronay arguing that it wasn't a penalty vs Messi lol

Came here to say that while Football Weekly is my favourite by a long way, I'm getting really tired of Barney's schtick. And so are the other contributors, judging by the way they interact with him.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Bit disappointed in Wilson, thought he might be a bit more principled than that. Also his defence of 'actually the gambling industry is useful because it protects the game against matchfixing' is pretty drat weak.

Also they all just said "it's a bigger problem than you can solve on your own, so you might as well just get on with it". Yeah don't worry guys, it's not like you all have giant platforms that could actually influence how people think about the link between football and gambling ffs.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Mickolution posted:

Just because someone has a different opinion to you doesn't mean they're not principled. Lots of people don't have a big problem with gambling and you can't work in sport without interacting with bookies.

OK maybe principled wasn't the right word: if he doesn't have a problem with gambling, fine, he just struck me as the sort of person who would see the insidious influence gambling has on the sport for what it is (which Philippe more-or-less did).

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I’ve spotted the main problem with the Ramble: Luke is incredibly annoying. Hearing him interact with people outside of the core four has made it really apparent

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 21, 2020

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Reviving this thread to say that Jamie Jackson is incredibly thick and obnoxious and I hope he’s not back on Football Weekly any time soon

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Don't like Liew. Quite an annoying presence on the pod, possibly the worst regular. Has little to say beyond 'I think I'm really smart'. His writing's the same.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
The ending to the Football Weekly Christmas pod was wonderful. I didn’t think Barry would be capable of saying something I’d find oddly moving (and then immediately loving it up in hilarious fashion)

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Covid causing the leagues to do away with proper matchdays has killed my interesting in listening to any of the weekly roundup pods. At least a third of what they talk about is out of date by the time I get to it, so I've lost interest in keeping up.

So... what are good general football podcasts that don't centre around 'here's what happened on the weekend'?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
What’s The Football Ramble like these days? I trailed off not long after they switched to the rotating lineup, but I might give it another go for the Euros

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Ironically it was the on-air presence of Macintosh himself that led to me ditching the new podcast and sticking only with FW, because he was always annoying as gently caress.

The opening fifteen minutes of the first show they did with Max after the split is a pro listen, where they talk about Neymar's move to PSG (if I remember rightly), as a not-so-veiled metaphor for what has just happened with the podcasts.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

webmeister posted:

Yeah that show was brilliant, the heavy metaphor of a star player getting lured to a shiny new team by megabucks and it ultimately being bad for everyone.

Just dug this out, it's pretty glorious:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/audio/2017/aug/03/big-money-transfers-galore-football-weekly

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

britishbornandbread posted:

If you haven't yet, Socially Distant Sports Bar is hands down the funniest pod I've heard in ages, and he is on the three hosts. One of the few highlights of 2020.

Seconding this, although recently I've started to find the straight man/host guy extremely loving irritating to the point of it overshadowing the good bits. But the early ones, before he gets too big for his boots and starts stepping on the jokes of the other two, are brilliant.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
With Barry. Another example of apparent animosity between guests. All seems fine now, but it did get weirdly tetchy in that segment to the point where the other guests seemed to get quite uncomfortable with the tension

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Ronay's glib, aloof schtick is annoying at the best of times, but when the pod is trying to eulogise a fondly remembered player (Jimmy Greaves on today's ep) he comes across as an absolute prick.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Poor Max seems to sit right at the border between chin-stroking hipsters thinking he's too lowbrow, and knuckle-dragging lads thinking he's a pretentious wanker, meaning everyone ends up hating him. It's quite funny seeing him deal with the hate Talksport listeners give him, but I'd like to think all the Guardian listeners have more than warmed to him.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Last time I saw it the presenters were some of the sidekicks from The Golden Years (using that term extremely loosely) and Jimmy Bullard aka Football Banter in Human Form

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
It was good but I wanted more pisstaking about how of all the possibilities of this stuff, the one thing that seems to have caught on is those stupid loving apes.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

nawilo_420 posted:

Horrible take by jonathan liew on zouma kicking the cat in the latest pod :cripes:

Classic case of him tying himself up in knots trying to be cleverer than he actually is, trying to show he's out-thinking everyone else on a topic. I think he's my least favourite regular at this point because he always does stuff like this (though not usually quite as 'wtf' as this one).

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Good to see Ronay finally refining his contrariness to the point of asking ‘why would you support a football team? How gauche’

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
You do get the impression that quite a lot of the ‘serious’ football journalists or possibly just the posh ones are genuinely perplexed as to why people enjoy supporting a team, going to matches etc.I guess when your life revolves around it the novelty wears off a little, but still… bit weird.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I was thinking about my top tier lineup - Rushden, Barry, Wilson, Auclair - and it made me think: is it me or has Philippe not been on for a while? I hope he’s not been shuffled off or is otherwise engaged

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
He’s definitely The Worst. Others can be more irritating, but he contributes absolutely nothing beyond being dumb as hell. Doesn’t fit with the rest of the pod at all, I can’t fathom what they see in him

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/footballramble/status/1553666783969779713?s=21&t=W8ZH9QUZRC9sx2axW4wgcA

It kinda sounds like they might be doing something similar to the classic format(?), which may get me back listening

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Boo no drunkenness on the Football Weekly Christmas special this year

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I’ll never tire of Barry Glendenning talking down the England national team. Doing god’s work for any non-English listeners

Although I can’t help but note that they said it was a late night recording, and he’d clearly had a few cans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I haven’t listened to it since about six months after it launched and it was clearly a pale imitation of Football Weekly. I notice it’s part of the Athletic these days, but I’ve now idea what that means for its quality, or how it relates to the main Athletic podcast (which is usually a pretty decent listen)