Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

The Mash posted:

I have to say that the Football Ramble that MoPZiG linked a few posts up really wasn't terrible.

It was good. No real interesting or fresh analysis, but good banter and some funny stories. Worth a listen definitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

MoPZiG posted:

wow.

I dont get the 'proper football' criticism at all. The likes of Sid Lowe and Rafa H have taught me an awful lot about football, culture etc.

The Football Ramble is also up there :colbert:

The Ramble guys really do know a lot about football. Also it's like listening in on a conversation between the team that always aces the football round at your locals pub quiz.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I’ve listened to both the Ramble and FW for years, it’s just become a bit of a habit now. I still find FW is the one I listen to as soon as it’s available and the Ramble usually gets listened to later on in the week. Both are easy to listen to (although Ronay, Steinberg and now Harris on FW constantly trying to invent narrative or boast controversial opinions starts to wear thin after a while) and unless Jimbo leaves or the Ramble gets really poo poo I’ll keep on listening.

I often find this time of the season I get a bit worn out on football; this season has been especially dull so far; and it seems that some of the pod pundits are feeling the similarly worn. Luckily for me the Six Nations starts and I focus on rugby for a month or so then come back to paying proper attention in March when the CL and title race are in full swing. Listening to how disaffected some of the journos seem to be I reckon they could do with taking a breather too.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

So English football is officially back this weekend (albeit the Football League). Any word from either Football Weekly or the Ramble as to when the first pods of the season will appear? I'm having withdrawal symptoms.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

:siren: Football Ramble is back :siren:

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Trevor Francis

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Donaldson was actually nice about Boro (I think). All my fellow Boro fans loving hate for being a chippy Geordie twat, but I think he's alright.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

No buys?

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Right, Jacob Steinberg. He has absolutely no craic about him whatsoever. A total charismatic blackhole. I don't really mind his writing (except when he decides to pettily one-up every snarky email he receives during a mbm), but they have to realise he is podcasting black death.

Also he must be less than 30 and he sounds completely bored and jaded by the business of watching football every week. Cheer up you miserable fucker!

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

blue footed boobie posted:

Well, not a laugh track like they have in TV, but a lot of radio dj's will record their own laugh and then use that recording to make it sound like they're making themselves lol like crazy at every joke.

I don't think they are doing that.

I think they all just find themselves very funny.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

There's no such thing as 'lad culture' :ssh:

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

sweek0 posted:

If you want to hear lad culture you want to listen to TalkSport. Especially the people calling in.

Don't confuse being a lad with being poor and stupid.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Mickolution posted:

Anyone know when any of the season previews are out?

@footballramble posted:

How do you know the football season has started? Because there's a new Football Ramble to listen to! First one out on Monday/Tuesday

Football Weekly I don't know but I'd bet on Thursday.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Football Ramble are also doing another live show in October, tickets for which sold out in less than a day.

Literally hundreds of people desperate to pay a tenner to see them on stage apparently.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I dislike Steinberg but he's immeasurably better than a few years ago.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

ronniegardocki posted:

i like amy lawrence and think she should be on more often, and jacob steinberg should be on never

whilst steinberg is bad, he's a 100 million times better than he used to be

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Does Mike Ashley own a yacht I wonder?

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

My mate reminded me of my favourite Ramble moment last night and I couldn't believe it wasn't already immortalised on youtube.

Behold, Ian Woan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njs-d1aYq_c

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

New Ramble theme is pure 00s land fill indie rubbish

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

my eyes!

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

algebra testes posted:

a Klansman/Klinsmann pun.

how anyone can not absolutely love Jimbo is beyond me

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I have never listened to athletico mince. Should I start at the newest one or is there a better starting point?

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I remember at the beginning of the season Ronay launched into a tirade about the egos of Jimbo, Mackintosh et al for thinking they were popular enough to strike out on their own, which at the time I thought a bit rich as no one was downloading the pod for his humorless contrarian shite.

Always thought Steinberg was the worst of the lot with his charismatic black hole of a personality, but I can never remember him tanking an episode by himself.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

britishbornandbread posted:

Ultimately though, he wasn't wrong.

I disagree. Totally Football seems to be doing alright, although I have no idea how many downloads they get vs the Guardian. In the end though it probably made sense for them financially as wooger said they get to the split the ad revenue among themselves and have the opportunity to branch out other ideas like Golazzo (which is loving great if you're interested in Italian football history).

Plus there seems to be greater variety of guests on Totally Football, rather than the same dour Guardian journalists every week, and whilst I quite like Max he is no Jimbo.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I thought Andy would be fatter

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The bigger issue for me personally was FW devoting over 30 minutes to the Women's World Cup. I understand why but I just don't care, will be skipping through the next lot I think. I'd do the same if it was 30 minutes of continental football chat btw.

What else are they meant to talk about?

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Bacon Terrorist posted:

My niece plays for Leicester Ladies and I know one of the Lionesses personally. Good luck to them. I just don't care, the same way I don't care about the championship. It's not a gender issue, it's a competition issue.

Nice meltdown though :thumbsup:

Some of my best friends wives are women

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

RideTheSpiral posted:

he is literally the worst podcaster of all time except julien laurents

how quick you are to forget about Jacob Steinberg

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Meh non of those rewards seem worth paying for, but if it gets them a bit of extra cash more power to them.

Just lol if you pay the football ramble $250 a month though.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

So there's really only one new show there, everything else is just being consolidated into one feed.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Isnt Sid doing the TFS Europe show?

I doubt it - Alvaro Romeo is in the video so I reckon he'll be the spanish expert

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Mandalay posted:

Too bad, Id listen to a Sid Lowe podcast every night as a sleep aid

Sid has his own podcast called the Spanish Football Podcast or something equally imaginative

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Good for her

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

oliwan posted:

just a big lol at max' lament over cancel culture and how it is destroying society. just lmao

yeah it was embarrassing.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Barney’s a bit up his own arse but generally he’s fine.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I like Jimbo

oliwan posted:

didn't Jimbo leave the guardian because he thought he could do better lol

According to Max when he was interviewed on the Ramble the Totally Football lads left with the idea of producing the show themselves and licensing it back to the Guardian so they could still have Barry and the other journos on, but the Guardian basically told them to gently caress off. Also they left it to a week before the season to do this so the Guardian would have little choice but to say yes.

I probably listen to TFS more than the FW, but they are both definitely weaker for the split.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Living in the shadow of Tim Lovejoy

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I have to say the fella that has taken over from Lee Price of PaddyPower in reading the odds on TTFS is 10000000% better

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

The TFS podcasts have been loving wank so far. No Jimbo, none of the European guys, just Matt Davis- Adams and Carl Anka. Pure shite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

lmao that's one way to make an apology

I did think it was quite weird that McIntosh founded TTFS and then basically has never appeared on the show (although he might do the EFL show they have). I do enjoy the Totally European show mainly for Rafa Honigstein and James Horncastle and of course Jimbo. Never really bother with FW due to the potential of Barney being on there.

Raffles fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 20, 2021