Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I know strictly speaking this is the podcast thread, but as most of it gets put out as downloads anyway it still counts; I think BBC 5 Live has definitively the best content out there, both in terms of analysis and punditry, but also in the commentary and the overall volume and quality of output. To be fair they do have a virtual monopoly on what they do, with the exception of TalkSport which usually just seems to be thick drunkards shouting at each other, but the fact that they manage to put out such consistently engaging and enjoyable football material is quite a marvel, really.

Also I've got a weird mancrush on Mark Chapman so that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Are there still gonna 2x episodes of football weekly each week? Now that jimbo and iain have their identikit show I think 3+ hours of guardianista football chat per week might be a bit much.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
TTFS now has a segment at the end sponsored by and featuring Paddy Power discussing odds on upcoming matches. It makes it feel like talksport and presumably means that they now won't really be able to have any credibility on anything to do with the betting industry.

Shame, cos I actually prefer it to FW in general now. Richardson is always great and there's generally a lot of decent insight and analysis, whereas I feel like Max and Barry in particular are just becoming lazy parodies of themselves.

Ian Macintosh is, as ever, insufferable, though.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Mickolution posted:

What a strange stick to beat them with. Everything is sponsored by gambling companies.

This is true. But most of the people who appear on the show are journalists, and I do think that the integrity of what is effectively a journalistic enterprise is going to be compromised with this kind of partnership.

Betting companies, and paddy Power in particular, can sometimes be the focus of a story (eg. the bloke who ate that pie, Nick Bendtners pants) in the way that other sponsors aren't, and TTFS will no longer be able to take an unbiased approach to this area of the game.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Jesus christ Jonathan Wilson has a wallchart with every single episode of silent witness so he can tick off the episodes he's seen.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Hmmmmmm phillipe auclair defending Hugo loris drink driving... Rowed back on it pretty quickly though.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I like Barney but I'm surprised he ever gets invited back. I agree with him that talking about refereeing decisions is boring, pointless and utterly vacuous.

But it still ends up being the first point of discussion on every bit of punditry ever.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I wish FW would get rid of Lars. His voice is unpleasant, his jokes are pretty much never funny, and he's rarely if ever insightful. Maybe he could get a job at The Totally Football Show, in Association with Paddy Power.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I'm glad everyone is jumping onto my 'Lars sucks' band wagon. Annoying voice, mediocre jokes, and basically contributes nothing. Lars out!!!!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Monday’s line up is the best. Wilson, Ronay, Glendinning. Maybe Auclair would be a good addition, but otherwise it’s pretty much spot on. As ever, gently caress Lars.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
FW is struggling. Forensically analysing a pretty boring football match that happened over 30 years ago does not make for thrilling listening, but I suppose what else can they do?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Got round to listening to the Newcastle episode of fw today. The fan club representative was absolutely pathetic I thought.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

webmeister posted:

Barry's pronunciation has always been fantastic. Nabil Fekir which he always says as "fecker" is another highlight

I never understood why people hated Max so much on the occasions he'd stand in for Jimbo, and I never really saw any reason for it other than he's not Jimbo. Which, well, yeah - but he was never trying to be either. Since I'm not in the UK I never saw him on TalkSport or Soccer AM, so maybe that was a factor.

I think I - and many others - associated him with the stereotypical 90s, thick-as-pig-poo poo laddish football pundits who were all over Sky at that time. While he does carry some of that aura about him, he's obviously pretty intelligent and thoughtful so has been good for FW.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Wtf is this thing they're doing where fans get to do the final section of FW? It sounds dreadful, and I can't fathom why anyone thinks it's a good idea at all.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
It was absolute peak Guardian. 'Hm, it feels like it might be wrong to be a paid shill for a hugely explorative industry. However, as I am a good and sensible person, it must not actually be wrong. Friends and fellow shills, please discuss, and be as merciless as you like!'

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Yeah. I feel like about 95% of my posts are slagging off Lars, but he was particularly grating today. So boorish and unfunny.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Answers Me posted:

Reviving this thread to say that Jamie Jackson is incredibly thick and obnoxious and I hope he’s not back on Football Weekly any time soon

Genuine thickening of the atmosphere when he started saying Bielsa was a fraud.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I feel confident that Netflix will exec produce the gently caress out of it in order to ensure that it's NOT the televisual equivalent of a Ronay article.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Can't quite believe just how smashed Barry was. And Wilson, by the end!

It was a great pod.

They should get rid of Jordan though. His Christmas message was even more loving dour than Barney's, and the fact that he still semi seriously believes that Arteta is a better manager than Dean Smith is mind boggling.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
That guy who's like the 'league football expert' must be the most boring man alive. That '6/10' car park anecdote, christ.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

oliwan posted:

Still take him over neckbeard Lars tho

At least Lars does know quite a lot about football, though. Jordan has like, pub level insight at absolute best.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
gently caress paddy Power, and gently caress them spamming me with loads of ads for 'crouch on the couch', which apparently is a Peter crouch podcast about loving Cheltenham?!

Also gently caress Peter Crouch as well, as if he needs that Paddy Power money.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Haha, I love it. Beanos a good lad.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

harperdc posted:

Lars being the one on Football Weekly who knows about Twitch and then dropping Hearts of Iron and CK3 references on the pod essentially confirms he’s a lurker here, no?

He also asks a lot of questions by suffixing them with, "no?". A bit like you just did, forums poster "harperdc".

Hm.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Either Barry's had a stroke or he's had an absolute skinful before this pod.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Lol loving hell baz

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
FW does have so many good contributors (although I wish Wilson was on every episode). There are also quite a few duds though, but I tend to just zone them out and can’t remember their names.

One thing that they should do less is create discussion points by saying ‘people on Twitter are saying [x], however I think [y]’, because firstly I don’t really give a gently caress what idiots on social media think, and secondly all they’re really doing is building a straw man which they can then eruditely disassemble. Feels like it would be better to form your own argument first rather than responding to an over exaggerated hive mind.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Loved the embarrassment of going straight to fitba corner after earnestly explaining why we should donate money to the guardian.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I just googled jjb and I do have more respect for him now. He's lived a hell of a life and done some cool stuff.

Nothing that qualifies him for a regular slot on a football podcast, mind, or even an irregular one.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
John Barnes interview was pretty intense. Barry came off as weirdly rude on his first question, and then basically didn't speak again for the rest of the podcast lol

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I would agree that there was literally nothing that Max or Barry could have said which would have satisfied him.

Tbh I feel like he's just a man justifiably screaming into the void. I'm not sure I'd want to read a whole book of it, but I can't blame the guy.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Jippa posted:

Troy Townsend is a really good addition to football weekly. I took me a while to realise he was related to andros. I must have missed the episodes when he was first on.

Yeah, he's awesome. Maybe we need more footballers dads.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
He's also just not some quite posh white boy, which other than JJB makes him pretty unusual for a regular.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I loved Max's 'Oh, Barry...' when he said that he could have done it (??!)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I cannot believe that dude who has listened every single episode, at a rate of three per day.

Wtf is wrong with people.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
What a oval office. Imagine listening to that for fun.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Liew hates cats and tortures them for fun!!!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I can sort of understand it, in that I find intense sport fandom pretty baffling most of the time.

I support my home town club, who I used to see every week when I lived there, and I'm happy when they win, but people getting genuinely passionate about the English national team or a PL side whose ground they've rarely if ever been to... That basically just seems thick to me.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I listen to a lot of the 5 live football daily podcasts. They are of varying quality, but the weekly football league show they do is really good ; they always have a few current pros and managers on, and everyone on there seems a lot more honest and down to earth than people who work in the EPL. You get some really interesting discussions, like last week Mark Bowen (Wimbledon manager) went into quite a lot of depth about how you need to balance getting a team out of the doldrums with the modern need for there to always be a 'philosophy' (which almost always means playing it out from the back). Highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

nawilo_420 posted:

listened to todays pod and gently caress i could really do without JJBs contributions

Ah drat this makes me not want to listen. I literally have no idea why he's on the pod or what the producers think he adds to it.

Basically just parrots stuff off twitter, with no insight, and occasionally offers his tepid takes which people think are amusing I guess?