Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I finally replaced the broken front sway-bar end links on my SVT Focus. Definitely feels different through corners now :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Finished up clay barring and waxing the s2k. Grabbed a couple quick pics once I remembered my camera needs a memory card.

s2k-0003 by John Gallup, on Flickr

s2k-0001 by John Gallup, on Flickr

The wax I used was a bitch to get off but the car looks absolutely amazing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Justified my purchase of a second car by having to use it to grab a battery for my DD. I knew I'd need it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

NitroSpazzz posted:

Was actually Saturday but I bought an engine for it. Spent some time over the last few days attempting to figure out how I'm going to make it fit...

2002 AP1 Honda S2000 complete swap with 31k miles for the race car

Once you get everything together make sure you stay aware of the oil levels. AP1's are known to use oil when in VTEC, especially Mobil 1. Check the VIN to see if yours is after the banjo bolts were upgraded(mid year '02). If not, do some research to figure out if you'll want to replace them. It looks like tracking the engine is one of the cases where you'll generally want to do it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gonna get some new tires put on today. Gravity bleeding the brakes while the wheels are off. I still can't believe how good all the tires look for being 12 years old. I might keep them in my basement or something. I feel bad throwing them out.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

Do the axle nut TSB. I had to do mine yesterday after spending a few weeks trying to figure out what the hell was making noise. I thought I had an axle on it's way out until I remembered about the bulletin. I thought the PO took care of it since I never had any issues with it for three years, but nope. I did it yesterday at work cause you have to crank the hell out it

I will get that done, but probably not today. There's a clicking from the passenger rear and I'm pretty sure it's the axle nut.

e: Album of the old tires

For anyone that doesn't know how to read the date on the tires, the first two digits are the week of the year the tires were made and the second two digits are the year they were made. I think the previous owners garage was a time capsule of some sort.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 23, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Changed the oil on the s2k. Tomorrow I'll give it a wash and throw the cover on to store it for winter. :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Hand washed the GTI after getting back from CO where it spent 6 weeks at the body shop.

They didn't do a very good job

The car was less than a month old when they got it.

I did finally put a roof rack on it though!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Can you show some pics of how the rack mounts? I wrapped my roof and I'm worried it may rub.

I'll get some for you today. I was originally going to have clear bra put on the mounting points but after pulling the rack off my mk6 TDI I wasn't at all worried about it rubbing any more.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
And now I'm glad you asked that because it got me looking at the feet of the rack.

Album here

The metal clamps don't really make any contact with the exterior body. The rubber feet should mount up pretty well with the rain channel. I pulled the one off my TDI yesterday and when I wiped everything off you couldn't really tell they'd been on there for 5 years.

However, as you can see in the pictures, the front drivers side foot isn't sitting properly. I've played with it some and can not get it to stay where it needs to be. All of the others are fine. I'd normally just assume the cross bar itself was a little off, but since I just got the car back from a body shop I'm fearful that the frame is bent.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I tossed new headlight bulbs into my Prius. It has the HID's which can be problematic and the ones in it were flickering pretty badly. It's a bit of a bitch.

I got the passenger side done without doing anything crazy and I probably would have been able to do the drivers side without going hog wild if the retaining clip for the bulb hadn't loving popped out. It was worth the hassle though as the difference in light output is nuts and they also don't flicker. Next up I'm gonna polish the lenses.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I bought a 2007 Prius last week. I took it to a shop today to basically get a PPI done. I'm mainly interested in the condition of the battery and the other hybrid stuff that I don't know anything about. It was nice of them to do it I guess, but they decided they needed to explain to me that I should have had this done before I bought the car. No poo poo? It was a $5500 low mileage Prius that was in good shape and there were apparently 10+ other people that wanted the car in less than a day of it being posted on craigslist. The seller would have laughed at me and gone to the next person if I'd tried to get an actual PPI done.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

STR posted:

Protip: when they say they have <x number> interested, they really mean they have nobody else interested and they're just trying to make you jump on it.

$5500 is high for an 07 Prius, but if the battery pack and AC are in good shape (along with the loving brake accumulator, I think they finally put out a recall on that loving thing, but it depends on year model), then you have a solid car that'll last 10-20 years with basic maintenance (and probably a battery pack replacement - go aftermarket, do not go to the dealer, it's a 4 figure difference in cost).

No, I'd already told them I wanted the car. When I picked it up they told me they had at least 10 people waiting on me to not buy it. I drove the car on a Saturday night. I told them I wanted it Sunday morning. They got at least 2 other offers to buy it Sunday morning but nobody had the cash on hand and the banks were all closed or someone else would have gotten it. They almost didn't wait for me to get off work on Monday to pick it up. $5500 with the condition of the car is a really good deal where I'm at.

e: I saw several cars in worse condition with more miles sell for more money than I paid. I know the whole "I've got other buyers" thing and this wasn't one of those.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 22, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Changed the air filter, oil, and transaxle fluid on the Prius. The transaxle fluid was dark as hell and definitely original. It also splattered everywhere.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Did my annual oil change on the S2000 to get it ready to put away for winter. I'll clean it up tomorrow and then under the cover it goes :smith:

Darchangel posted:

Wait - that's a Toyota. You're not supposed to have to do any maintenance to those, ever!!!1

About that, I'm pretty sure my brake actuator is going bad. Weirdly it didn't start making the death noise until I changed the oil and transaxle fluid. It's also one of those things I won't gently caress with myself so goodbye $2000 :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

e: Sweet, it's only $1500 at the local hybrid shop. They told me not to mess with it until the warning lights come on unless I feel like spending the money.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 20, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

STR posted:

I dunno, a friend's Prius was running the accumulator pump every ~30 seconds long before the money lights came on, and his brakes were noticeably worse for quite awhile before it finally went O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree.

There's a service advisory/halfassed recall that gets it done for free on some cars. Spit your VIN or plate at this https://www.toyota.com/recall

I was not expecting them to tell me that. I was doing regular trips to KC but I'm not sure if that's happening any more and it going out on one of those is really my biggest concern. That doesn't like my VIN for some reason. I don't have actual plates on the Prius yet to use the other option either.

Washed the S2000 today. It's super annoying when there's STILL loving ash falling from the sky because 2020 is literal hell world. I'll let it dry for a couple days and then the cover goes on.

All 3 cars in one shot :3:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I refuse to put my S2K away yet. It was 75 and sunny here in PA today so I drove home from work with the top off. I’m sure shortly I’ll tuck it away behind the EP3, but NOT YET DAMMIT!

That's our next 10 days. It also snowed at the beginning of September but that doesn't count. I might need to put the snows on the M3 as I haven't ordered a set for the Prius yet out of pure laziness and the all seasons on it are definitely in need of replacement to the point where they'll probably have issues if any of that sticks.

Night Danger Moose posted:

I work parts at a Toyota dealership if you want me to run your vin to see if there's anything open on it.

PM sent

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My M3 needed the biannual brake flush and I don't have the stuff to do that so I took it to a local shop. It also needs an oil change so gently caress it, they can do that too. :effort:

It probably doesn't hurt to have actual service records for it either.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alarbus posted:

I bought the motiv pressure bleeder a few years back to do the clutch line when taking out the drat CDV. I've now used it on three four cars, but bleeding anything even with it is so much easier with two people.

No shame on paying someone to do work you're not interested in though. I paid AWE to swap the manifold on my second E90 out of sheer disinterest in doing it alone without my dad, his garage, or his tools.

I gravity bled the brakes on my S2000 but haven't done the clutch because I haven't had a second person around to help me do it. I could probably do it by myself but meh.

I had the shop measure the thickness of my rotors since I'm going to need new pads in the not too distant future. I'm pretty much at the point where I'll have to replace the fronts when I do the pads. :homebrew: . On the plus side, their PDR guy happened to be around the shop and saw the dents the piece of plastic that blew into the car and gave me a quote to get them all taken care of.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I had a speed bleeder in my S2000 clutch slave so my bleed was basically open the bleeder and press the slave cylinder in with my thumb, stupid fast bleed without loving with the pedal or needing two people. Worth the $8 or whatever one costs, imo.

I'll have to look into that.

Washed, clay barred, and threw some spray hybrid wax on the M3 today. There were still some water spots that I missed but this was the first time I've hand washed it this year. It's shiny now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Big Jesus posted:

Looks great! Mine is so dirty cause it's parked outdoors for now. Gotta get it a real nice detail once I have a garage for it.

I had mine ceramic coated last year and it's super worth it. I'd planned on doing the spray on ceramic hybrid as a topper earlier this year but that thing where I'm lazy and my setup for hand washing is not super optimal most of the year stopped that. The sun has moved far enough south that I was able to get it into the shade to do the work that's best done in the shade. I don't think it would have gone well in the sun.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Had winter tires put on the Prius today.

10 minutes later:

That was fun to change on the side of I-25. It went down fairly quick too. The guy from Costco that showed up was wondering why I was pulling the rear wheel when it was the front that was flat. It was something with the valve stem. Tire is ruined, they said they have another locally that will be here tonight or tomorrow. I hate driving on a donut but I'm also trying to not drive the M3 as the charge cooler is leaking and needs to be replaced.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Diff and trans fluid on the S2000. This was one of those where I said “it can’t possibly be that easy” when I looked it up, and well...it really is just that easy. Took about 35 minutes including jacking the car up and pumping MTF into the trans and gear oil into the diff with a hand pump. No stuck fill or drain plugs for once.

Trans got Honda Genuine MTF and the diff got Mobil1 75w-90. Both got new OEM Honda crush washers.

I can’t imagine what the dealer charges for the two services but I did it for $38 in fluids, washers and the hand pump I didn’t have.

Yeah, it's super simple. Gravity bleeding the brakes is super easy too. I had to buy all of the stuff you did as well as the wrench for one of the fill plugs as it was a somewhat weird size I didn't have in socket or wrench form.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

good ol 23mm diff fill bolt

Yup, that's it. I think ended up at a Sears that was the last remaining store in a defunct mall to grab a Craftsman one because I couldn't find it anywhere else locally.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The poo poo I ordered in November for my M3 finally showed up. Hopefully I can start tomorrow!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Alright, new charge cooler and hot and cold side charge pipes are on the M3.

Stock everything

Stock vs aftermarket hot side charge pipes

Inside of the stock J pipe

That's coolant from the leaking charge cooler

Throttle body. Looks better than I thought it would

I went with Mishimoto for the charge cooler and hot side pipes. They don't make the J pipe and I went with VRSF because even though they have issues with some things, it's a relatively simple thing they can't gently caress up, right? Wrong.

If you can't tell what's going on there, the clip won't go in on the side that doesn't face the engine. I don't know if it would actually be possible to put the clip on the engine side when mounted and you'd sure as hell never be able to get it off again.

So I had to hit it with a loving file

Are you impressed by that high quality powder coating?

I also don't care for the fitment at all. I might be able to get it on there better but this was the best I could do today. There's a really good chance I buy something better and replace it when I do the heat exchanger

All done!

Not a hard job, it's just a bitch to try and get all 3 parts of the intercooler to attach to a pipe. I'm hopefully going to do the heat exchanger sometime in the next couple of months. I also need to order front rotors and pads for all 4 corners. That's way less effort than the heat exchanger so I'll hopefully get that done in the not too distant future.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Replaced the cold side charge pipe on the M3.

lovely VRSF:

Evolution Racewerks:

The fitment is much better. The black one was touching things to the right, the new one isn't. The silicone connector could have been like a 1/4" longer just for my OCD of it wanting to fit flush on both sides but I think it should be alright.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alarbus posted:

How are the temps? I've had the ER pipe for my N55 on the shelf for a while, thinking I should finally install it soon. Since I've put it off, contemplating heat wrapping it first.

Also waffling on getting a bigger intercooler, I only have the M performance tune, but since I'm out of warranty mhd is calling me

I haven't logged anything but I doubt the temps have changed much. The factory charge cooler is actually really good, it had to get replaced because they like to leak. Temps will improve once I get around to doing the heat exchanger though. I'm just really lazy and don't want to mess with pulling the bumper.

I should be doing the front rotors and pads on all 4 corners tomorrow.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
New front rotors and pads all 4 corners on the M3.

Immediately rounded out the screws that hold the rotor on.

Luckily a genius in the tool thread had the solution

Cat Hatter posted:

Put the ball end of a ball peen hammer against it and then smack that hammer with your big hammer.

It sounds stupid but of all the things in the Eric The Car Guy's video about removing those damned screws, that's what has worked 90+ percent of the time. Plus it's easier than most other methods.

Old and busted

New and shiny

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Replaced the coolant flow control valve and inverter coolant pump on my Prius today. A local shop wouldn't do it because hybrids are scary I guess but it wasn't hard at all.

I've seen suggestions of just doing both if one of them fails and I've got to agree because they're both very common failures and you have easyish access to both when you're doing one of them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Did the valve cover on my M3. It was gushing oil and causing a smoke show.

https://i.imgur.com/imlJV9b.mp4

That really doesn't do it justice.

Covers and charge pipes off. I've done the spark plugs a couple times so this is pretty fast and I did it before the game yesterday and finished today.

You have to "remove" the charge cooler to get at some of the bolts for the fuel rail. Just putting a block under it gets it out of the way enough without having to drain coolant.

Back side of the fuel rail

Valve cover ready to come off. You have to pull the fuel rail, coil packs, and wiring to get to where it comes off. It was a bitch to get loose and then it dropped a bunch of grit inside when I finally got it off.

You can see where it was dumping oil

New cover on

All back together

The gasket was in bad shape. It was like this in multiple spots. The PCV on these likes to clog and blow out the gasket. It's integrated into the valve cover so you just get to do the whole thing. Only a mere $700 for the part. ///M tax baby :homebrew:

Seems good so far. There's always the worry about rolling the gasket but I think I got it!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Last week I was driving my M3 home from Costco and it had some issues. Got these codes:

The most common culprit for that is a bad injector or maybe an O2 sensor. So I decided to start poking around today.

An all too common sight for me.

Someone on the F80 forum had mentioned that they'd seen spark plugs back out and cause something similar. I did the plugs 6000 miles ago. Got everything apart and the cylinder 5 coil pack was not securely attached to the plug.

I think some explosions escaped. I put a new plug in and made sure all of the others were torqued down properly. Not too bad of a job but I'm getting good at taking all the things off the top to get down there.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The S2000 clutch interlock switch connector is easy to access.

Hope I don't have to do that to mine...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Was actually gonna ask about a pressure bleeder in the tool thread, guess I have my answer.

And it looks like there are plenty of options from other brands for adapters if motive doesn't make one. Sweet.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 20, 2023

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Did an oil change on the 330i today. Was checking other things since I just bought it. The coolant is low. These cars have a few things that can cause that. There's a recall for one coolant line but that has been done. Another possibility is the oil filter housing can crack and dump coolant.

That looks a bit milky to me. However, pouring it out of the drain pan into a clear jug and it just looked dark. I'm gonna see if there's any separation after it sits for a bit. I'm gonna do the transmission fluid and plugs in a couple weeks, Maybe I should just do the filter housing while I'm at it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alarbus posted:

Is the area around the coolant cap crusty? I got a low coolant warning or two on the B58, and the cap was clearly leaking. Topped off and a new cap, no issues since then

Not at all. I added some coolant a little while ago, we'll see if it goes anywhere. The oil in the jug still looks just fine. No visible difference from oil in any of the other jugs that I really need to take for recycling. That poo poo builds up fast with how much I drive my daily and the yearly oil change on the M3 and S2000.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Did plugs on the 330i today. Easier than the M3 since there's no charge pipes in the way.

I did clean up the engine bay a bit after this pic. It's kind of nasty.

I don't think the plugs look too bad but I'm no expert on that. Around 20k miles over the recommended replacement interval.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

chrisgt posted:

wow gently caress you, go find a 12-point spark plug socket. It's always something with german cars.

It's generally brought up in the DIY's with a buy one of these spark plug sockets at least!

I hadn't even thought about it, I'll have to make sure I have a regular plug socket when I get around to doing the Prius. It's going to my girl's oldest since he just started driving and I'm gonna make him do it. He watched while I did them on the 330. Just trying to get him some base repair knowledge if nothing else. That poo poo will come in handy when he hits the broke as gently caress point in his life.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SlapActionJackson posted:

It also needs a wobble end because the spark plug and access tube aren't aligned.

You can buy a passable one for $12 or a good one for $20, it's a rounding error on the cost of maintaining a modern BMW.

It's actually doable without the wobble extension. You can definitely tell they're aligned differently though. The B48 seemed to be less off than the S55 I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got the transmission fluid changed on the 330i today. There's a great how to from FCP Euro that covers the process for the ZF8 very well. Fairly easy overall outside of it being 400 degrees outside and then getting to pump fluid next to the exhaust while the car is running. I only got 4-4.5 quarts in but that's apparently fairly common. I did all the steps for the secondary fill twice just to make sure I got enough in. The best part was when the dump line for the a/c started pouring out water. It's naturally right above the fill port for the transmission so it makes you think there's a really bad leak :v:

It was honestly better looking than I thought it would be. No record of it being changed so that's 80k mile fluid.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 25, 2023