Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I drove it!

I was home sick last week, and didn't get a chance to get out after applying the stage 2 Active Autowerke tune. It felt good. Next up, intake manifold swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

This is why I picked up homebrewing. I'm not even that good at it yet and I'm getting $45/case beer for about $25/case.

If you find another one of those fridges, I'm in.

I went all grain and buy it in bulk from a distributor in NY, and I can make a solid American Pale Ale for ~$10 for 5 gallons, just need to reuse the yeast to lower the per batch cost. Much like car hobbies the "hey I can save money!" quickly turns into "Oh god, I have two chest freezers and 30 homebrew kegs".

At least when I preemptively replace my water pump and thermostat I'll actually be saving money compared to waiting for it to fail and having it towed to the only BMW dealer in the state.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Removed the CDV on my 2009 3 series. I had done this on my 2006, so the factory restrictor was driving me insane. Also changed the oil and put on snow tires.

I had done the oil on the 2006 at my normal time, and got lucky with finding the 2009, and had to do it again. :negative:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

That wheel is repairable. The tire, not so much.

Some states, like Vermont, won't let it pas inspection with repaired wheels. In fact, there aren't even any shops left that do wheel repairs here. You can repaint, but no straightening.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
If you're near Philly, I'm sure someone will help make the rest of the bumper match. :/

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

TacoHavoc posted:

Changed the trans fluid on my e90, took all of twenty minutes. Then decided to be cute and remove my clutch delay valve while I was in there. One failed pair of vice grips later, I'm swimming in brake/clutch fluid. Then I spent two hours with my pissed off girlfriend in the drivers seat while I turned an 11mm bleeder an eighth turn at a time.

The clutch still isn't perfect but it's drivable. I'm buying a loving pressure bleeder after that debacle.

Removing the cdv on both of mine went fine, other than the week with the newer car until I had time to remove it.

When we did my dad's, well, I got a face full of brake fluid. I didn't have the spring clip all the way on, and using the pressure bleeder popped it off. Better while I'm under the car than when driving it though!

It definitely feels like a real car afterwards though.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Replaced the serpentine/accessory belt on my 328. The Contitech kit had a big printout of WARNING PULLEY HAS A BOLT RETAINING CLIP. REMOVE CLIP BEFORE INSTALLATION. Guess what I found on the pulley I took off the car? Yep, the retaining clip. Pretty sure the dealer changed this when they sold it as CPO. Good times.

Also, put all seasons on and got an alignment. Good thing too, the RF was a good bit out of spec. The tuning shop doing the alignment also had to use the impact to break the tie rod free. I'm kind of guessing the local dealer didn't adjust that last year, since PA isn't bad enough to lock something like that up in less than a year. Kind of explains the odd wear though.

Next up is the HVAC blower cage, the bearing is wearing and making noise. That part arrives Monday. Still doing pretty good for 92k. Only unexpected bit lately is the passenger seat occupancy sensor, and that wasn't completely awful, other than local dealer's estimate of $1k, and the coding price to their competitor for $250 after installing it myself.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Replaced the blower motor in my E90. It had that lovely worn/rusty bearing squeal that slowly drives you insane on the drive to work. Turns out, you only need one tool for this job - a Torx 20. Remove passenger lower dash panel, held in by two screws. Rotate, jiggle, pull, jiggle, and BAM.

Hey look, it's rusty. Moved the resistor pack over to the new one, using the aforementioned T20. New one is nice and quiet. Not bad for $100 and 30 minutes. Only four screws! German engineering is getting lax. Also did new wiper blades because the chatter is also a terrible noise.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Wife's car. But I put on the spare so we can drive it to the shop to get the winters put on, since one of the all seasons has a screw in the tire.

gently caress lug nut covers forever. Two came off, one stayed on, and one is on with my 3/4" socket. Fucker.

Technically still a success.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Ford, but when I sent the pic to my Dad, he said his Suburban originally had that type too. And yes, I'll be replacing them.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Negative Ions now has all of the trim it's supposed to have. The paint is pretty rough on it - the clearcoat is fine, but there's a lot of chips in it all over the place. Even on the roof. :wtc: (and some dickhead sanded the spoiler down to bare plastic) Still, looks a lot better with all the trim. Previously it was missing the door frame trim (where you'd expect the B pillar), and the trim along the driver's door window was coming apart.

I tend to drive more than most folks, though less than you do, and I've gotten stone chips on every panel of the car. Roof rails, trim, trunk, one rock even thoroughly dented the trim (and flaked off the paint) on my 06 3 series. I got pretty good a touch up painting. Vermont had a fair amount of rocks and rock salt mixed in their road treatments. -.-

Brine coats everything on the car, sand/salt is like bead blasting the car. :(

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Couple of things to a couple of rides.

The Subertha kept blowing headlights so on Saturday I pulled the headlight assembly off to see what was up and about a cup of water came out. The old lenses were incredibly foggy so some new ones were installed today. Of course since it’s a 23 year old GMC with god knows how many PO’s it was a clusterfuck to get it all apart and back together again.

Then, the BMW got some new wheels and summer tires put on because the stock wheels will be for winter duty and I greatly dislike all-season tires. Konig Hypergrams in 17x8 and Pirelli PZero Nero GT in the stock 225/45/17. Each wheel is about 7lb lighter than the stock in the same size.

When I went from stock to Apex wheels on my 328 with non runflats, it made a huge difference in handling and driveability. It'd probably be less noticeable on a 335, but putting those summers on was such a relief. I think I also dropped a similar 7lb per corner. Looks good!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
You can just knock the center out of that and put it back in place. Much easier that screwing around with the lines. I have a 66% success rate on bleeding the lines though, that part is pretty lovely.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, it's extra "safety" for the transmission at the price of burning through the clutch faster.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

fknlo posted:

My M3 needed the biannual brake flush and I don't have the stuff to do that so I took it to a local shop. It also needs an oil change so gently caress it, they can do that too. :effort:

It probably doesn't hurt to have actual service records for it either.

I bought the motiv pressure bleeder a few years back to do the clutch line when taking out the drat CDV. I've now used it on three four cars, but bleeding anything even with it is so much easier with two people.

No shame on paying someone to do work you're not interested in though. I paid AWE to swap the manifold on my second E90 out of sheer disinterest in doing it alone without my dad, his garage, or his tools.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Motronic posted:

Eastern PA goon in my area spotted.

I'm a bit west of RTT Tuning, had them do my alignment. They had to use the impact for quite a bit on one bolt (probably from living in Vermont with that car before), so apparently BMW of Devon didn't adjust poo poo previously.

They're super nice, they asked if I really wanted to keep the alignment it had, and I said it was a 328 and I drove mostly highway, make it make sense. :P No wonder the one set corded on the inside...

I bought the 335 from Thompson BMW, so I'm basically chasing you up and down Bucks County.

You lot don't do much as a group. The SE PA TFR group at least pretends to go to a range and finds a restaurant worth stopping at in each direction!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

From having done this before: gently caress this job.
Make triple sure your connector clips in all the way as well, FYI. Went to drive mine after doing the delete and my foot went to the floor when the connector just popped off. loving piece of poo poo.

I did both of my E90s just fine, but when we went to do my Dad's, we could not get it to bleed correctly. Worked great after overnighting that pressure bleeder. Pretty sure his E90 was when I got a face full of brake fluid.

The motiv bleeders aren't too expensive and it made flushing the fluid on my F30 a really easy job.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

Cursed, did your temps go down post filter replacement?

I recently replaced the struts on my DD and in the process I unearthed the 3 stage intake manifold I bought and never installed. The N52 3.0L BMW comes in several guises, I have the 234hp/2xx ft/t, but I can increase this by about 20hp/t or so with this intake (and 330i tune). However, it looks like this intake manifold valve gasket (the green bit) is turbo hosed.

For BMW goons, is it possible to just replace this gasket or is the $300 replacement valve the only option? The actuator portion of the valve is fine.

Unclear. I found lots of info on rebuilding the ones for the M54(?) For the E46. Did not find much on the N52 ones. I have several used ones I got from eBay for like $75 each, uh, somewhere. I eventually just bought new ones for my last 328, and still have the used ones, which I've never tried

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

fknlo posted:

Replaced the cold side charge pipe on the M3.

lovely VRSF:

Evolution Racewerks:

The fitment is much better. The black one was touching things to the right, the new one isn't. The silicone connector could have been like a 1/4" longer just for my OCD of it wanting to fit flush on both sides but I think it should be alright.

How are the temps? I've had the ER pipe for my N55 on the shelf for a while, thinking I should finally install it soon. Since I've put it off, contemplating heat wrapping it first.

Also waffling on getting a bigger intercooler, I only have the M performance tune, but since I'm out of warranty mhd is calling me

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's exactly how the filter on my Canyon is. I just loosen it up as one of the first steps to break the internal seal so it drains the contents back to the pan before I drag out my drain pan / wrench.

I also have to hand it to them, while it does use an odd size socket (27mm), they also use that exact same socket for the fuel filters. Those, unfortunately, I have not yet figured out how to do without spilling diesel everywhere - but I've only done them once so far.

Well if you do the oil first and spill it, spilling diesel afterwards is really just helping clean up the first mess, right?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Motronic posted:

If that breaks down on you (it usually does) get some felt. That's the "pro" way to do it from what I've been told and I've had it last for a very, very long time.

The official BMW solution in several spots, notably the seat belt latches, is the fuzzy half of Velcro with adhesive backing attached to the spot.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

I swapped out my single stage intake manifold for a three stage manifold and replaced the oil filter housing gasket. This necessitated changing the oil and the coolant as well. It took me the entire day but I got it done. I only needed to replace one coolant flange that broke unexpectedly and the BMW shop in a corn filled around the corner had one so that didn't hold me up too much.

The BMW N52 has an electric fuel pump and I learned that it has an "auto bleed sequence" that it runs when prompted after the coolant has been changed.

I'm taking it this weekend to have it tuned/flashed. I'm still dumbfounded that even with my hack skills I was able to fire it up without generating a single code.

Starting the day.

Single stage out, three stage in.

Shiny

Taking it down.

All back together and bleeding coolant.

Very nice!

I did the 3 stage swap the first time, and without my Dad's well lit garage and tool supply, paid a shop to do the second one. I like my current car, but definitely have a soft spot for the N52 in the E90

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Both manuals. The 06 was lighter due to no power seats, I miss that car. I don't know that xhp works for the older autos unfortunately.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks Mercedes, your "captive" nut for the battery hold down could use some help staying firmly upright and ready. Eventually wedged a small screwdriver in there to help it stay up so I could finish.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Oh it had one of those, the bottom was really unenthusiastic.

It's very, very German.

Wait, what were we talking about again?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I washed and waxed the daily because I'm guessing it hadn't seen good treatment much before I bought it based on how vigorously it collected water spots. Of the used BMWs I've bought, it doesn't have the worst paint, that honor stays with the barbera red E90, but man, it's not all that far off.

Sadly, the stick shift version did not manage to detail itself via proximity.

I'm probably going to have the bumped resprayed on the black one, and I'm starting to wonder if I should just do the hood as well. 100k miles of mostly highway is harsh.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Is the area around the coolant cap crusty? I got a low coolant warning or two on the B58, and the cap was clearly leaking. Topped off and a new cap, no issues since then

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
You need some dollies for moving those wheel/tire stacks around. My Dad gifted me some with basic plywood and large free spinning wheels that have been really great. Though, given plywood costs they're probably not cheap anymore. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Little bit of nice weather in PA and the summer cars come out. I took the manual car to get the kiddo from school on Thursday, and people definitely noticed the difference between Estoril Blue and black, the double takes were pretty funny. It does remind me to clean the interior of the daily, the fun car is super nice inside since the kids really don't go in it.

Much like Powershift, the front of mine looks like a trail car. :(