Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

New struts, shocks, mounts, swaybar bushings and end links. New fender too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I got to get the M out of the city and stretch its legs a little bit through the Ohio countryside en route to visit my parents.

I put on a set of clear corners last week. I think they just make my headlights look worse than they already are.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I never found that tray to be much of an issue, to be fair. Which makes even less sense as to why they'd manage to 'miss' a piece of plastic that loving big.

More tales of missing parts.

98 bmw.

While having an alignment done my regular shop they pointed out that "there are oils leaks from an undetermined source" and offer to degrease my engine bay and throw some UV dye in the crankcase. I'm like no poo poo, it looks like the exxon valdez under there and you want to clean it up for $40 bucks? Sure.

They call me and tell me it's ready. I get there and pop the hood; to degrease it looks like they sneezed on it with some brake cleaner, there are tools and bolts still under the hood, and the top cover is missing off of the engine. I walked back in and asked if they could put my car back together before I take it away. Then they quoted my $500 bucks to fix the 2 oil leaks at the valve cover gasket and the oil filter housing gasket.

Not my regular shop anymore.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Installed a new steering rack and new motor mounts in E36 M3.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I put it away.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I put a timing belt kit and snow tires on the VW. Come on winter.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Flushed the brake fluid and replaced the oil filter housing gasket.

RTABS and center support bearing is up next.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I got it out of storage.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 15, 2015

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I sold it.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Crustashio posted:

I thought I'd hate the black, but it actually doesn't look completely terrible in person.

Looks nice. Why those wheels? Weight? I'm still rocking the DSIIs but I've been looking at other options as well.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I bought this the other day. It was out west until five years ago so the undercarriage is solid, which is an unbelievable find for A: a 1993 Nissan and B: in the mid-atlantic.

This took 6 months of active craigslist sleuthing and a perfect storm of an ad including: no picture with the ad, vague description, an undrivable truck, and old couple that was bad at the internet but very kind in person.

1993 D21 4cylinder 5 speed 4WD. 170K miles.

Then I replaced a frozen front brake caliper. No pictures because hey it'a caliper and nothing to see here. I got records with the truck and the entire front brake system had been replaced 2k miles ago but one caliper had frozen from disuse.

Then I heard the wonderful sound of a timing chain rattling around inside the front case. Time for a chain kit and gears!

Old broken guides

Mid-process

This bolt was the only thing keeping the chain in place on one side.

I took the wheels off to black them out. Stripped lug nut! Out came the dremel.

It's finally all back together today and running smoothly - tho not before I tried to ruin everything by attempting to start it with a breaker bar still attached to the crank pulley. :suicide:

E: added content

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 27, 2015

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Arriviste posted:

:suspense:
1995 Nissan XE V6 (VG30E) w/70K mi. haver here. I'll be watching 'cause I'd like to pick up a 90's 4WD D21 some day, too.

Sure thing. Not pictured is a quart of POR-15 and my angle grinder with a braided wire brush. I'm just waiting for it to stop raining.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

The KA24E (and DE) are famous for making GBS threads out guides. The E only uses two, while the DE doubles up on the chains (and I think the upper chain used 3 guides initially, then was downgraded to 2 guides).

You have the E.

Nice find, should run forever now that you've changed the guides. How much cursing did you do trying to line the distributor back up?

You have experience with that do you?

MOST of the cursing came from me as my ratchet, still connected to the crank pulley bolt, smashed into everything as I turned it over. My heart almost stopped. The whole repair went pretty smoothly until I started the truck for the first time. No power. At all. Hold to the floor and count to 10. You're at 4k rpms. It was late. Dejected I went home and had a beer and dialed up the inter webs to see where I had gone wrong. Nothing had smashed into each other so I was sure all of the chain business behind the timing cover was fine. Beyond that it could only be the pump/distributor setup. I came back the next day to redo it and actually paid attention and it started right up.

Definitely a KA24 hazing ritual tho.

I just looked online. A new hood and both fenders for this thing are $160 bucks. :10bux:

The "tension side" guide is very beefy but the "slack side" guide, the one that always grenades, is about 1/10 as robust. I'm not sure why they didn't make both out to the same material.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

(WHY WOULD YOU USE THE HEAD GASKET TO SEAL THE TIMING COVER?!?!?)...:sigh:

Thankfully I seem to have dodged most of the major obstacles including the aforementioned head gasket abortion. I have no experience with these vehicles other than what I have read or researched, but with this replaced I'm feeling good about using it daily despite being now quite old. I also added an extra quart of Redline synthetic manual tranny fluid as Nissan placed the fill hole too low and the brass syncros/bearings are not adequately lubricated(?).

Exeudork - I believe you are in Merica's hat? I came across some stuff called "Texaco Rust Proofing LB." That poo poo makes POR-15 sound like party glitter in terms of protection. I just can't find anyone that sells it. Supposedly it only comes in 1/4 barrels (128 lbs)!

I've never used POR-15 so this will be my first experiment/experience with it. My other car is a 98 E36, but it is from Texas so hopefully I'll never need to use it on it.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I POR-15'd my frame.

Then I used it to haul some stuff.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I added some mud flaps and some cheap-O $10 tint because it gets hot in there with no A/C.

It also got new exhaust because the old one broke. But that is what you get when you buy a 22 yo pile.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Arriviste posted:

Just checked fluids on my 1995 Nissan XE. Stupid twenty-year-old truck doesn't use up any fluids, even after its first long trip (~500 mi.) since I got it in 2009.
:argh: Wanna feed it some Lucas for the lifter rattle but it's full.

Does that actually work? I've got a 93 D21 2.4.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

The old white mare got a new set of shoes.

All done. Maybe I should wash it? It's actually white not grey. Too bad! No garage.

Then I drove it a bunch. 278k!

To meet up with some old friends. And older cars.

Then we traded for a while.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I swapped out my ragged out headlights for some new ones.

Start

Mid

Almost finished

Ok now finished + gratuitous shot of wife's Bu.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 19, 2015

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I took it for a drive before it gets put away for the winter.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

$1000 bucks seems to be where all the poo poo hits the fan on CL for vehicles. Above $1000? Yes, usual shenanigans, dicks, and dead beats. $1000 or below? You have a strong desire to be miserable, waste all of your time, and not sell anything.

People seriously go absolutely ape poo poo at $1000. I was selling a knackered VW Passat on CL. At $1200 bucks I couldn't get rid of it. At $1000 I had 8 people scheduled to see it the next morning. I double booked everyone and only 3 showed. I still got $1200 bucks because the first guy saw the other two behind him. Bat poo poo.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I drove mine. Some more.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

The car is from Texas so there isn't a speck of rust on it anywhere. I'm debating what I want to do when or if it ever actually grenades. Until then, I'll just keep pouring parts into it.

E: I'm shooting for 400k:suicide:

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 15, 2016

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I changed out my tail lights.

Old

New

The car is actually white not grey.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

New pads and rotors for the car.

New stabilizer bar bushings for the truck.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Replaced some bushings and stuff.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

scuz posted:

I mean it passed a compression check,... Repeat every 3 months or so.

I'm sorry you own this. It is possibly the most depressing motor on earth. I had my coil go bad on mine and it acted similar; I was able to trigger this reaction actutely when I attempted to sea foam the motor. I got a tiny bit of crude on the plugs and that was the final straw for the coil that was on its last leg. It began running on <4 cylinders. Unfortunately I replaced it with a URO coil which only lasted a weak. I got another coil and then sold the car. Poo poo coil--> Weak spark --> plugs build up --> increased resistance --> too much for the coil to handling and subsequent misfiring.

Anecdotal but worth checking out.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 31, 2017

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Ride #1 got new wheels.

Old

New to me

Rework

On truck

Ride #2

I packed the grocery getter full of groceries. Thanks Costco.

It will be receiving two of these shortly.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 24, 2017

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Sold it. So long Hardbody you were a good truck.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Since I had to take the seat out of the E36 the other day to do the brake switch, the airbag light was on. I ordered an SRS reset tool on Amazon for $27 and in ten seconds I shut that bitch off today. As a bonus the tool came with an OBD to BMW adapter so I can use my regular scanner. Now I have an E36 with no fault codes!

Cherish the moment.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I fixed a clunk in the rear end of the BMW that has been driving me wild since I bought it 5 years ago

This is the rear differential. On the front side of this is a mounting bushing to the subframe. This bolt kept backing out and allowing the diff to pivot and smack the bottom of the car. I got creative and scoured realoem to find the same bolt but 20 mm longer and then I put that in place along with a nut and loctite and then tightened everything down.

It not only solved the main clunk noise but about 4 other ones as well. The car feels pretty nice now.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

zundfolge posted:

Put some ridiculous wheels on my beater S70, I was originally just looking for tires but a friend offered up these OZs with nearly new tires on them and I couldn't resist.

Resist harder.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I took it out of storage, changed the oil, and knocked the rust off of the rotors. It still works. Mostly.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Gotta represent.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

afen posted:

Took the brakes off and sent them to England for a much needed refurbishment:

Why England?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I did a 3 stage polish.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Put in a new gas tank in my truck as the old one had rusted thu.

I hate rust.

The overflow valve on the top just pulled right out. No surprise there was a CEL for an evap leak.

I hate rust.

I sheared this bolt off with the impact wrench.

I hate rust.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

STR posted:

It's a soldered LED. :sigh: It comes and goes through the day. Always with the same MAP out of range error. I'm on junkyard MAP #4, MAF #2 (this one being brand new OEM, #1 being the original), and a lot of other poo poo that could POSSIBLY cause that code. It persists.

#ICONICGM

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

The rotors on my Tacoma were warped so I decided to replace everything and upgrade to Tundra brakes.

Old and crap.

New bits on.

The new calipers are wider and I'm running 2nd gen wheels on a 1st gen truck so there is about a paper's width between the calipers and the wheels. But it fits.

This is what parts of the suspension looks like on a truck that has had it's frame replaced due to rust.

E: Nothing Sockingtonian here but feast your eyes southwest goons.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Sold this.

Bought this.

To join its elder stablemate

And because I bought a BMW a window regulator immediately poo poo the bed and the valve cover gasket needs to be done. I also discovered that it is a lot more involved than the cover on the S52.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 7, 2019