Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

Just got the 48 led switchback fronts installed. Definitely a much cleaner looking light and a little brighter than the old non-led lights.

I need to find a set of fog's that match those led's now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

Upgraded lighting to HID projectors.

Before:

After (you can see the HALO on a little bit):

Besides the cosmetic upgrade, the light output is much better.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

Dizman posted:

Did you get them from the group buy on the Corvette forums? I actually just ordered mine last night. Glad to hear they're a lot brighter! The ones on my Z are pitiful.
Yeah I did. Apparently I live 20 minutes from where they're shipped, so I got the first set.

Take your time putting in the self-tapping screws. Very easy to strip those posts completely.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

Front license plate air intake. My intake looks like this, so this'll feed air right to it. The sides came open from the factory, so all I'm really doing is adding a center channel of air right to the intake.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

MrSaturn posted:

Hey that's neat! You ought to paint the grilles black.
That's the plan, but haven't had time. The previous owner really messed up the drivers side screen, so I want to just replace that one. Fortunately they're not too expensive (compared to other parts).

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

kill me now posted:

Cut off the bottom of the rear suspension adjustment bolts rubber bushing to even out the ride height front to rear on my car
Isn't messing with the rake like that going to give you handling problems? I thought the rake is there for handling/aero reasons.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

kill me now posted:

Besides i've probably already ruined the aero balance by putting the rear spoiler on the car without the front splitter and side skirts.
It's not really about aero balance. It's about stability. The wrong rake allows air to build up below the car and causes lots of float.

kill me now posted:

With regards to handling, the car has been aligned at the lower ride height and I've a number of posts from Aaron Pfadt saying that lowering on the stock bolts really wont negatively impact the mechanical handling of the car unless you go way beyond that point. Even then its more of a shock stroke issue and not a suspension geometry one. I only cut the first rib off the rears and honestly I know the look is somewhat dramatic but its not a huge change in overall height.
Well yeah, the cars are ok to be lowered. That's why the bolts are accessible. You're supposed to maintain the rake though. It's one thing to add a spoiler. That messes with the cD, but it doesn't change your handling too much (at least not the ZR1 spoilers). Having the wrong rake will change your handling. It will cause float when you're in the triple digits (search the CorvetteForums, you'll find plenty of info on this).

kill me now posted:

The wheel gap is pretty even there
The wheel gap is just for looks. Panels don't always line up. You're supposed to measure at the lift points in your rockers for ride height/rake.

kill me now posted:

Evening out things also aleviated some of the excessive scraping that I was getting with the front end so much lower than the rear
The front air dam is designed and built to be able to scraped. I also scrape with my z06. That's normal and ok.

Anyway, it's your car. Still looks awesome. Just offering some tips.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

I normally like to do my own work, but I felt replacing valve springs might be too much for me right now. I had a recommended mechanic do the work for me. When I pulled in, he had a Ford GT sitting in his bay. I felt like I was in good hands.

When I went to pick it up, I noticed he had a dyno and asked if he would do a run for me so I could get a baseline. Ended up with 356 at the wheels. Not bad for an otherwise stock '03 z06. I wanted to try and capture the sound of the exhaust. I think it came out ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqtAQc-6lfQ

I'll be replacing the shocks within the next month and then I'll do a trackday in early fall. I'll decide then if I want more power or better suspension.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

Sorry about how dirty it is. It's been raining all week.

I ordered a set of 18 and 19 inch TSW Nurburgrings. I wrapped them in Michelin Super Sport tires. 265 front, 305 rear.

The previous owner had removed the original z06 wheels and put on reproduction chrome c6z06 wheels. Disregarding how much heavier they are than stock wheels, I just wasn't a fan of the chrome look. I had actually purchased a set of stock wheels to put on her. When I went to buy tires, I realized just how few choices I have and decided that I should switch to a more popular size. These wheels come recommended for both track and street use, so I think they'll do well.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

Falken posted:

Why do Corvettes look like FD RX7s at this angle?

Nice wheels, by the way. How much did they set you back?
With the tires mounted, balanced and shipped to my door they were ~$2300.

Powershift posted:

I saw a silver ZR1 with that same combo and it looked REALLY good. Awesome choice.
Thanks, they seem to be a popular wheel for both track and dd duty.

I weighed my fronts last night. My current 17 inch wheel + tire is 51lbs. That tire is also pretty worn. My new TSW 18 inch front and wheel are 46.2lbs. My current rear 18" wheel + tire is 56.2lbs. The TSW rears haven't come in yet, but I have a feeling they'll be a bit lower than that. I did switch to 305 on the rear (currently at 295) so that'll probably add a little extra weigh.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

My rears came in, so I got my wheels on. This is before the suspension settled.

I went from 17x9.5 fronts and 18x10.5 rears to 18x9 fronts and 19x10.5 rears. Also put 305 tires on the back instead of 295. Even with the larger wheels/tires, I shed weight. Went from 51lbs/wheel&tire in the front to 46.2. In the rear I went from 56.2lbs/wheel&tire to 53.4. It's not much but it's ~15lbs less. It also gives me a lot more tire choices in the future.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

Beach Bum posted:

Also a huge thanks to the poster who posted this idea:

If you want to go one step further, I poke holes in the cardboard and try to align the bolts in them so they look like how they came out. That way I can put a bolt into the same hole it came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

So while I'm a big fan of my new wheels, I hate the centercaps. Until I can find a better solution, I wrapped the middle part of the cap with carbon fiber vinyl and put some Corvette stickers on there. I'll throw some clear coat on them tomorrow to add some protection.

I figure that should give me at least 3-4hp per wheel extra due to the cf vinyl.

Not perfect, but better than a giant silver TSW logo on gunmetal wheels. Incase anyone is interested in the process, here's a thread on how I did it.

dangerz fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 9, 2013