Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I work at the Naval Museum in my city, and we're checking museum numbers on all the items. Among other things we have to go into the displays and check all the model ships directly, so I thought about you guys and snapped a couple of photos of one of the largest models in the collection. It's a 50 gun frigate in, I believe, 1:35 scale and is seriously massive.

The ship is called Fyen, and was a lovely frigate, so it was sold to a merchant instead. If I remember correctly, it was over-rigged and therefore very top-heavy. It completed 3 voyages to the Far East before capsizing in a storm and going under. The model itself is originally from the same time as the ship was built, so around first half of the 1700s.

If anyone is interested, I can take more pics of some of the other models, or try and answer questions about sailing ships or ship models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Glad you guys are interested. I'll snap some more pics next time I'm there. I work on the displays every Monday, but do classes there during the rest of the week. The museum is the Royal Danish Naval Museum in Copenhagen. I also work at the Royal Danish Arsenal Museum, where I have access to the library, with tonnes of books, primary sources and drawings, and a Pak40 and an 88, which helped me immensely while working on just those guns when I started out modelling for war gaming.

The Locator posted:

Because I'm a nerd, I went looking for information about the Fyen.

She was a Danish 4th rate Ship of the Line, launched around 1738.I can't really find any history on her, but the'operator' in 1746 is listed as the Royal Navy, so she must have been captured.

At least on my phone, I can't find anything else on her at all.

Close but not quite. There has been a total of 4 different Danish naval ships with the name Fyen (Fyen is an antiquated spelling of Fyn, the second largest island in Denmark, and the naming tradition in the 18th century dictated that medium-large ships were named after regions of the country). The one I showed was built in Denmark from 1735, launched in 1738 and proven to be too unstable for naval use, so it was sold off for private use in 1746. That same year, a new Fyen was acquired from the British. It was, apparently, a 60-gun heavy frigate/ship of the line called Augusta, launched in 1737, and rebuilt for Danish specifications to accommodate 50 guns instead.

I can't be completely sure about how it was acquired, but Denmark was not at war with the British until 1807-1814, so I'm guessing it was simply bought.

I can't explain why her operator is listed as the Royal Navy, except if it is a translation misunderstanding seeing as the Danish Navy is also known as 'The Royal (Danish) Navy'.

Edit. Other models of note:
One of the few models with intact rigging from the early 18th century. It looks totally weird because it's a church ship, so was meant to be seen from below, so they built it with really strange proportions.
A huge ship of the line from 1807. Even bigger than the Fyen model.
Copenhagen Naval Base "Holmen" in the 1760's. Showing the huge scale of the infrastructure needed to keep a wooden fleet sailing.
The last wooden ship of the line built in Denmark in 1850 in two versions: First how she looked when she was built, second how she looked when she was rebuilt as a steam engine driven ironclad.
A construction model of a British ship of the line, taken apart along the keel, showing all of the interior.
A series of small models showing the evolution of industrial era ships to the battleships of WWII.
Loads more.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 14, 2015

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Ok, I'll try and get some decent pics of Holmen. Those are actually two huge dioramas showing the old and new location of the naval base and shipyard of Copenhagen. If I remember, I'll bring my camera instead of just my phone.

The Locator posted:

That's what I get for trying to do google research on my phone at work. :) Thanks for the correction of my information and expanded history of the ship. Based on where you are, I'm sure you have the best information available on that ship. Denmark was quite the naval power in that era, the list of Danish ships of the line is impressive.

Well, I think my primary advantage is having access to the Danish Language. This database contains information on most Danish warships, but it's mostly in Danish and even 18th century Danish at that: https://www.orlogsbasen.dk
There used to be another database called "the Black Registrant" which had all the facts and numbers about the Danish warships, including a short history, but that is unfortunately offline these days. With that I could get much more reliable info, e.g. about where we got the Augusta from, or maybe even why the 1736 Fyen was such a terrible ship.

Also, yes Denmark was a relatively powerful naval power. My country has a long history, where you can point to any number of years or events, and claim that this is the point we went from regional power to minor state. One of the biggest ones is probably when the British attacked Copenhagen in 1807, and took our entire fleet. With only about 2% of the land area of Denmark still covered by forest (compare with 12% today), it was impossible to build a new one.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
We went out of town for a birthday party this weekend, and thought you guys might be interested in seeing the model rail road layout at Copenhagen Central Station.

The station itself is from the 1920's, and is worth a look on its' own, but here is the display for the layout. It's located right next to the exit that used to be frequented by junkies. They've since been scared off by speakers playing very loud march music.

The rolling stock is of course local Danish locomotives/livery. The main station is based on Næstved station.

There's a small loading dock, and cleaning/prep shed for the wagons next to it.

On the other side, there's a small village stop with a classic Danish medieval church in it. The tiny blue lights are sensors for the newest Danish ticketing innovation, which was horribly expensive to introduce, and took so long to develop, the technology has been superseded by something as simple as a smartphone app. But at least they're recognisable, which is neat.

Here are some small details from the layout. I'm guessing some of the companies sponsor the railroad, since the ads are for real life Danish companies. The McD ad actually shows the direction and distance to a McD in the Central Station itself.

You can put coins in different slots, and the different trains will do a couple of laps. The layout changes once in a while to reflect changing trains, architecture and technology, but some of my earliest memories of visiting Copenhagen (I live here now) is begging my parents to put coins in the model railroad. I'm also completely amazed at the fact that it doesn't get vandalised all the time.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 20, 2015

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Speaking of miniature railroads, have you guys heard of a place in Germany called Miniatur Wunderland? This place is crazy; massive model railroad, cars that drive on the roads, boats that motor around the water, planes that take off! I'd love to see this place in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACkmg3Y64_s

Yes, and if me and the wife ever go near Hamburg on vacation, she'll have to put up with being dragged there.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

Basically it is a recreation of the neighbouring towns in the 60's i believe, with some events such as a forest fire represented. Here's a video of a six minute drive through the tracks. Be warned to turn down your speakers reeeeally low, or cut off the sound completely:

http://www.hmjf.se/index.php/videobloggen.html

The railway is managed from a separate room, where I could count at least two dozen computer screens from outside. It's not the neatest build I've seen, but the size of it is pretty cool, and they seem to be constantly building houses and stuff.

That looks great! I really like the trees they've used. They look more realistic (and expensive) than most model trees.

Edit: bearing in mind I usually see wargaming terrain.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 20, 2015

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

So what you are saying is that I need to become good friends with a model railroader and worm my way into his will. :)

I finished the ratlines on the starboard side tonight. So... umm.. half way done with knot tying extravaganza.

Never stop posting... Or tying knots

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I went to work at the Danish Naval Museum again yesterday and snapped a couple of pictures. I was using my phone, so excuse the quality. I hope they're interesting in spite of that.

This is the oldest ship model with intact rigging and sails on it. It was stored in a church, suspended from the ceiling, to give the bored churchgoers something to gawk at when they got tired of listening to the sermon. That way, they'd be fired up by nationalistic fervour when their minds wandered.

On this picture, it might be noticeable that the proportions are all off. The guns are much too long, and the... rope thingies are much too big. The idea was that the model was supposed to be looked at from below, so perspective plays a part.

The aft decorations (directly translated as "rear mirror" in Danish) show the greatest Danish war hero of the navy ever: Niels Juel. He was educated in the Netherlands and served in their navy for several years, before returning to Denmark and being made vice admiral of the fleet. He introduced line formations in the Danish navy and used them to great effect at the Battle of Køge Bay in 1677, the greatest victory in Danish naval history. The numerically superior Swedish fleet was formed up in the spread out melee formation, thought to maximise firepower, but reducing central control of maneuvers. Niels Juel brought the Danish line right through the middle of the Swedish fleet, cutting them up into smaller more manageable parts and defeating them one after the other.

The sails and rigging are intact, and has given a unique insight into the way the old sailing ships actually worked.

The ship itself is unknown, but based on period ships from the late half of the 17th century.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
No worries. It's fun to do and I'm glad the history of a small European country can be interesting to other people. I took pics of the Naval Base in Copenhagen too and might do another post about that later this week. Work is a handful these days (the semester has started for school children = lots of classes at the museum), and the Imgur app is terrible, so I just have to find the time/energy.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

That's seriously beautiful! I was going to go to bed, but your post inspired me to write about the next model I wanted to show off.

This is the old naval shipyard in Copenhagen, depicted in the 1760's. Its' name is 'Gammelholm' meaning 'Old Island', and it's situated in the direct centre of Copenhagen. The seat of government is 3 minutes walking distance to the left. You can see a dock behind the yellow buildings, a building site to the left of it, and a material yard behind it. The timber yard is, incidentally, thought to be the origin the great fire that devastated Copenhagen in 1728, and caused us to have several holes in our records from before this period. Also, the reason we have a city core from the renaissance, and not medieval times. Another interesting fact: a shipyard building site is called "bedding" in Danish, pronounced with the horrible Scandinavian soft 'd' that no foreigner can pronounce. People aged 40+ will still use the expression "having something on the bedding" for when they're planning something. When the plan finally hatches or pays off, you say it "runs off the stables" which is the exact same expression as "launching a ship". This is very much an ancient expression, from our naval heyday, and speaks volumes about how much the navy meant for our everyday culture.

This is the drydock across the harbour. Today, there's a huge drafty and damp glass-and-steel building housing the Architect Association. They would usually employ off-duty sailors to man the pumps that emptied it out. My older brother, who is also a historian, told me about a riot from the 1700's, originating in the work on the pumps. To keep the sailors happy in spite of the back-breaking labour, they gave them generous amounts of schnapps. This usually resulted in the sailors going on a rampage through town when they got off work. One time they refused the work itself and went on a sort of proto-strike, demanding more humane working conditions. Of course, absolute monarchy being what it is, the military dispersed the strikers and executed the ringleaders. Later, the authorities quietly eased the working conditions on the dry-dock, which is apparently the way things were done in the 1700's.

In the 1690's, the big ships-of-the-line had become too big for the small renaissance shipyard at Gammelholm, so work was started on an artificial island behind the new fortification line covering the sea-side of Copenhagen. This was named 'Nyholm' meaning 'New Island'. 'Gammelholm' was actually known as 'Bremerholm' before 'Nyholm' was built, on account of the many merchants from the Hanseatic town of Bremen plying their business there in medieval times. Confused yet?

The new naval base/shipyard was built north-east of the old city, and you can still clearly see the layout of the fortifications around Copenhagen, and Nyholm, here: https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Nyholm,+1439+Copenhagen/@55.6871435,12.6083529,15.75z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x465253262e763efb:0x3759403854e07194
During the 1700's and 1800's, the open water between Nyholm and Christianshavn was filled in with more artificial islands, affording more space for the increasingly complex new naval ships. Behind Nyholm, the Danish Navy was 'parked' when not in use. The thing is, being made of wood, a sailing vessel from back in the day had an expected service life of about 30 years. This means that they preferred not to use the fleet unless it was necessary. It was more of a deterrent weapon than one in active use. In this photo you can see the ships at anchor in port.

This is a particularly bad picture, I'm afraid, but it shows the mast crane (with the green kind of square roof in the middle) being use to lift off the top masts of a ship-of-the-line. The ships were dismantled when not in service, and part of this process was to remove the top masts. The crane itself was built in 1749 and is still standing today, with my museum arranging tours to the top of it. The crane was powered by off-duty sailors, as so much of the work on Nyholm was back then. By the way, the round green roof just next to the crane was the ship launching pavillion for the king. Whenever a new ship-of-the-line was launched, the entire city of Copenhagen was invited to witness it. This was one of the few opportunities for the common man to see the local Naval Base up close, and a huge several day party was usually held, with food and drinks on the king.

These are the oldest buildings still standing on Nyholm, or 'Holmen' as it's regularly called. They were called 'takkeladsbygningerne' meaning 'rigging buildings'. They were built very long to facilitate the drying of the rigging when the ships were dismantled. Like I said, they are still standing today, but during the industrial age, when ship building involved huge steam engines and very large copper tanks for provisions, they knocked a hole in the middle of the buildings to place a small local railway going to the shipyard through it.

Next time, I'll probably find something easier to photograph. The lighting was really poo poo on this large model, and being encased in glass meant I got quite a few reflections of my striped shirt which messed up the view of the model itself. I hope you found it interesting despite that though.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
As long as somebody enjoys them, I'll keep doing them.

The anchors look great! What are the metal bands on the wooden crossbeam made of?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
ooooh clever

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

big_g posted:

That was me, I took these and dipped them in future and left them to cure over 48 hours.

:awesome:

Ahem, let me sort of contribute to the thread again. :siren:Another long-winded post incoming!:siren:

Meet Dannebrog, the last ship-of-the-line to be built for the Danish Fleet.

She was completed in 1850 in the Naval Shipyard I showed you in my last long-winded post. With a complement of 692 sailors and 72 guns, she was a powerful ship, fully up to the standards of post-Napoleonic ships-of-the-line of the other European nations.

Detail shots:

Oh, and just for Locator and his love of rope coils:

She was the 4th ship to be named 'Dannebrog' in the Fleet, being named for the Danish flag. An earlier Dannebrog, lost in 1710, was captained by Ivar Hvitfeldt, one of the greatest Danish-Norwegian war-heroes, but I'll get to that in another post with accompanying model-pictures.

The interesting thing about Dannebrog is that she was built so late, just on the cusp of the domination of ironclads. In fact, she was rebuilt in the first half of the 1860's to modern specifications. Thus, we can see the development of naval ships as exemplified in the same ship in two different versions.

Meet Dannebrog, one of the first ironclads in the Danish Fleet:

With the introduction of more efficient artillery, the number of guns have been reduced to just 16! That way, the crew has been reduced to less than half: 330 people! Much more economic and efficient.

Detail shots:

She wasn't decommissioned until 1897! Of course, this probably meant she spent at least the last 20 years of her service as a barracks ship for the enlisted personnel of Holmen. I'm told that it was a uniquely unpleasant experience to be assigned barracks space in one of these old hulks.

If anybody want to see ships models of a specific time period, we have everything from the 1500's to modern era ships. We also have construction models showing the interiors of a ship-of-the-line, the hull construction and also engines and turrets of the great armoured ships of the late 1800's-early 1900's. We also have the original interior of one of our 50's era submarines. Oh, and a great big model of Holmen in the 1960's, if anybody wants to see the difference between enlightenment era naval bases and cold war naval bases.
I'll also try and take pics of specific parts of the models if anybody have any special details they're interested in.

Edit: Sorry about the reflections. I'm really trying to get the angle of least reflection, but it's kinda hard to juggle both the object I want to snap, and try to minimise reflection. Enjoy my terrible cheap shirt.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 5, 2015

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I'm glad you guys still like the posts and pics. I'm not a modeller myself, although I do paint for wargames, so I'm glad I can contribute with something.

Regardig questions and comments:

Unfortunately, the museum really lacks models of people on the ships. It's a common question though, so I don't know why nobody has thought of it. But yeah, wooden ships were absolutely packed with people, and it would have been a very unpleasant experience serving aboard one. Dannebrog was 58.3 metres long and 16 metres wide (191' long and 52' wide) which is really not very large at all. HMS Victory was a little bit smaller, but had a crew of 850! The crowded conditions and daily ration of 2 litres of beer (half a gallon) plus rum, sparked some heated debates. Considering everybody was carrying a knife, discipline had to be harsh to discourage frequent stabbings. The officers usually kept all the sailors working as often as they could, to keep the crew occupied. An occupied crew = less time for stabbing!

Thanks for the pic of Victory with the little model men on it. Doesn't look too crowded, but I'm sure that's because the modeller didn't have the time to do enough little sailing men. Or maybe because it's the forecastle, I don't know.

The Locator posted:

Yet another fantastic post of great models.

I'm not sure about those rope coils though, that seems like a pretty strange way to arrange them, and I've never seen a picture with coils done like that, nor were the coils on any of the ships in San Diego like that. It's certainly an impressive amount of tiny coils though!

I wonder if the modeler did them like that just so that people could see the details of the belaying points rather than just piles of ropes?

Thanks! Interesting. I'll have to ask the curator about the coils. I don't know how much he knows about details like the correct stowing of rope coils aboard old ships, but he might.

Edit: Btw, in my post about Holmen, I wrote that the mast crane was for dismantling the top masts of ships. I was wrong. It was actually for the lower masts since they are the heaviest.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 6, 2015

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

Almost. click it

:catdrugs:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

1st place in surface ships & Best Ship. Pretty good day.

So deserved!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

big_g posted:

Fair enough I could see why, I bought some shares in the firm ages ago so I don't mind buying their stuff. In semi unrelated news I've also just read that they are going to be changing their name from "Gamesworkshop" to "Warhammer" at some point in the future which seems like a strange move!?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750899 Here's the thread about one of the shittiest gamesjewel like objects of magic and wonder companies in the nerd business.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Your crapbots are great! May craptank group builds live forever

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Don't you mean Diarrhama

Edit: this is not a vote

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Just wanted to pop in and post this:

The museum I work at is moving to another locale, so all the ship models have been taken out of their displays awaiting the moving company. It's a pretty display of sails.

Fake edit: You guys do stunning work.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

The image is broken for me. :(

Edit.. and it works in the quoted reply. My internet provider is having some weird DNS issues today and timing out a bunch of crap.

Holy crap that's an awesome picture. You should post that on MSW!

If you want you can repost it there. I don't really feel like getting another forum account.

Another good thing about the move is that I can get up close and personal with the models. I posted this 74 gun ship of the line some time ago, but snapped some pictures of it without the glass:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
The builders are either engineers from back when the ship was built, or modern day volunteers. The museum had a guild of volunteer model builders attached to it. The model I posted was built by one of those volunteers.

The museum itself is moving in with the Royal Arsenal Museum. It's a part of cost cutting so there will be less space for exhibits. Only 2 or 3 model ships will be sent to storage, however.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
One of the models big models being moved into the new exhibition at the Royal Arsenal:

https://www.facebook.com/nationalmuseet/photos/a.114631189131.99417.20303574131/10153600049064132/?type=3

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

It's amazing the work that goes into moving these things safely. I imagine that even with all the care in the world, there will be a fair number of repairs needed when they get to their new home.

Yeah, that's the cost of moving. Even one of the curators snapped off an antenna by mistake, so I can only imagine how much havoc the movers wreaked.

This is one of the other models I got access too after the glass was removed. I apparently forgot to take on of the entire model, but I've posted it in this thread once before I think. This is the armoured cruiser VALKYRIEN (the Valkyrie if you couldn't guess), built just before 1900. The model was built at the same time as the ship, so it should be fairly accurate. I just love all the metal and chrome-looking parts. It weighed a ton so we couldn't even lift it!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of dark magic...

I'm trying to put those tracks on the Leo 2. Water...does not work very well. If you use the hottest water that comes out of the tap, you have a very brief window when the tracks are actually pliable, then the water cools. I've been thinking of trying out a candle, or alternately, boiling some water in a kettle and use that...despite the instruction's warning to explicitly not do that.

Wishing this thing had Dragon tracks, I tell you what

Try a hairdryer. I never had any luck with hot water either when working with lovely bent resin swords from Forgeworld but a hairdryer worked wonders. Might do it for plastic tracks too?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I have an odd question: Have anybody seen any models of modern aircraft that are a bit more sturdy than regular scale models? My job, a museum, is starting up a class about an old airfield, and which types of aircraft could be housed in the hangars here. So, ideally, we'd need something like a C-130 Hercules, and a variant of F-16. Scale is not important, but it has to be able to be handled by an entire class of (older) school children a couple of times a week or month, depending on how popular the class will be. Pre-built would be a plus, but I know it costs.

Maybe something like die-cast planes or something? Quality is less important than cost, unfortunately.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I thought so. The selection is huge, and the price is ranging from hilariously cheap to very expensive. Do you know of any importer/manufacturer near Scandinavia?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Fair enough. It was worth a shot.

Colonial Air Force posted:

You might be able to reach out to them and explain that you're a museum putting together a tactile display, and ask if they'd be willing to do a trade or discount for you promoting them. Something like, "This display is courtesy diecastairplanes.com go there and buy some poo poo."

I work at a for-profit ski resort and was still able to do something similar for 50% off fiber Internet.

I'll pass that on. Luckily, I'm not the one doing the buying or negotiating. They just called me and asked me to find a type of model that was suitable because I'm apparently the resident modelling nerd.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Ensign Expendable posted:

Painting another figure, this time a tanker. I like working with shades of blue more than any of the colours I tried so far.

I think that's probably your best result so far. Particularly the face and his suit are well done.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Put a bit more highlights on this guy. Also eyes, eyes are important.

Neat. A cool trick for eyes is to use an ivory or off-white colour instead of straight white. Makes it pop a little less and look more natural.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I've been looking all over for stainless steel ball bearings and coming up empty. No hardware or autoshop store stocked them at all. I don't know why I didn't try a hobby shop but they had them, specifically for dropping into your paint pots to help mixing. The clerk told me about a guy who had a huge set of Vallejo paints, thought he bought the right ball bearings, and ended up turning like $500 worth of paint into rusty poo poo.

I've already found the balls do good work, some of my thicker vallejo model colour paints, specially metallics, really benefitted from it.

My local gaming/hobby store just got some of these as well. Produced by AK. I'm seeing the proper colour of some of my Vallejo paints on the first squeeze for the first time.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I did a thing! 1:100 Zvezda Panzer II for wargaming. The crack in the front glacis is annoying, but I don't have any gap filler, being mostly used to painting little napoleonic soldiers.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Looks great! You can always say the crack is battle damage.

Thanks! Yeah, that's the go-to excuse

Arquinsiel posted:

That kit is a pain with that glacis gap. I don't think I got it to look good without greenstuff once.

Good to know I didn't do anything wrong.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 12, 2018

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Booyah- posted:

I really love your colors here, great work!

Thanks! I painted the tracks gungrey, gave them a red-brown wash first, then a black wash, then Mig rust effects.

The hull itself is just grey primer with two layers of black wash, pin washing brown and then light grey drybrush.

Arquinsiel posted:

I should also point out that I built a full platoon of them, and three platoons of the Pz-38(t) which has similar construction. Not a single one went together without a gap.

I have a 38(t) and a Marder III to assemble. Luckily I sprang for PSC kits instead of Zvezda.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

big_g posted:

So I haven't posted here in like years due to "life" taking over. Maybe some of you may remember my past projects.

Anyway I bought some Team Yankee 15mm Chieftain tanks that took my eye. WWIII 1980s represent!

Here we are assembled and then airbrushed and panel shaded black.

Next I will panzer putty off black stripes and add a light green for the main colour.

Let me know what you think.

I definitely remember your stuff and lamented the day you stopped posting. I'm really looking forward to your Chieftains.

Edit: I crossposted your post to the historicals thread

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 1, 2018

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

George Zimmer posted:

Thank you! I was surprised when I found out so many people in model railroading get really bent out of shape about it. I work for one of the Class I's, and we actually have a G scale boxcar with some custom graffiti on display in one of our conference rooms. It's long since been accepted as just another aspect of modern railroading. I don't think I've ever met someone in the industry who genuinely cared.

I for one would like to laugh at examples of model railroad nerds getting their panties in a twist about modelling graffiti. Have a link to a forum or something?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
You guys like AFV's right?

Fish and Chimps posted:

Another AFV finished. This time an M10C, 15mm Battlefront plastic. I love open topped vehicles. The exposed crew gives the miniature a lot of life.

I stupidly tried to wash the decal over the engine grille, but didn't like the result at all. The more you know...

I actually learned a whole lot from this guy:
https://youtu.be/PL-NsLi75GI
Not New techniques, but rather how I can apply simple, known techniques to tanks, and make them less daunting to make look passable, without an airbrush and stuff.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Cross post from the historicals thread

Fish and Chimps posted:

I'm painting a 15mm PSC Cromwell tank as a Birthday present for my gaming friend.

He loves British tanks and fought alongside British Guards in Iraq, so I'm painting it up as a part of the Armoured Recce Regiment of the Guards Armoured Division.

It's all done except for a tiny bit more weathering, and some pigments for rust and mud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Scut posted:

The tonal values are nicely blocked in makes that teeny tank look huge.

Thanks. That's what you want when painting 1:100 I guess. Here it is with pigments and varnish: