Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

magiccarpet posted:

Capture is going to make a lot more records come out.

Is it just for midi or does it include audio as well? Asking because I've been using Ableton to record a radio show lately and it'd be super cool if it just automatically kept the past half hour of me dicking around with records :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Is there an easy way in Ableton to jam on a loop like you would in Simpler's slice mode but have it continue looping the entire sample from where you last triggered it? Basically I want something like the Simpler Slicer set to "thru" mode, but I want it to loop instead of stopping at the end.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Oldstench posted:

I'm not 100% sure what you want to do, but one way you could accomplish this would be to slice the sample as you desire, copy it multiple times down a column in session view, set the start and end points to each slice so each clip plays the next slice, then add follow actions to go down the list with a final follow action to loop back to the top at the bottom of the list. Then, whatever slice you trigger would start and it would keep playing the loop using the follow actions.

I hope that made sense.

That makes sense. I was hoping for something a little less involved, but I guess it's not so bad.

If this helps you understand: DJ software like Serato and Traktor let you set cue points in a track. If you have an active loop that contains cue points, pressing a cue point would jump the playhead to that point. So some DJs might loop a drum break and have some cues set up so they can riff on the drums a bit.

I've got a bunch of records with open drum breaks I've been sampling and thought there would be an intuitive way to do this, but I guess I must be the weird one :shrug:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

MrSargent posted:

Nah that doesn’t sound crazy at all, just a different way of using Ableton than I typically use. This has to be possible in Ableton because so many people use it live, I’ll try to play around a bit tonight but may not get a chance.

Thanks! I'm not in much of a hurry, it's just a difficult issue to google.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

MrSargent posted:

Ok here's how I did it. You need to be in session view for this, check the image below. Create a Session Clip like the one labelled "DrumRack1" below. Add your MIDI or Audio Clip, double click on the clip, and on the bottom bar under the Notes tab, you will see an option you can enable called "Loop". Now when you activate that session clip, it will loop that clip. Once you enable the Loop button, you can adjust the loop length using the colored bar on the wav/midi note on the clip. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey thanks! Looks like if I duplicate the clip and set different start points I can do more or less what I was aiming for without too much extra effort.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Welp, this is going to the top of my gear purchase list. It’s like the exact product I’ve been frustrated doesn’t exist for the past year now.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

So Math posted:

Is there a way to type in values for a MIDI envelope, or to have it snap to particular values?

Typing in values for breakpoints is a feature of 10.1, but depending on the size of the MIDI message holding shift basically gives you "snapping" behavior since a standard message only has 127 values. If it's a MIDI pitch envelope(or any other 14 bit message) then that may be difficult to get a precise value for.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Does anyone know if there's an easy way to map a fader to trigger a clip? Specifically, I'd like it to only trigger when I push it up from zero, sort of like a mixing board at a radio station can do.

And if there's no easy way, what's the hard way? I'm hoping to avoid the controller script api.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Ableton is offering 25% off on Live, upgrades, and packs, through Monday:

https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/

I mostly play around in Live Lite -- messing around with beats, samples, and loops -- while doing most of my recording of guitar and bass in Cubase. I run into the limits of the mere 8 tracks that Lite gives you. Is it worth upgrading to Standard, or is the gulf between Standard and Suite so big that it doesn't make sense to make the incremental jump from Lite to Standard?

The store page for Ableton has a a pretty easy to read breakdown of the differences between standard and suite.

With standard you basically miss out on all the synths, additional sounds, max for live, and some audio/midi effects. Otherwise you get a fully featured copy of live with no arbitrary limitations on what you can do.

You can also buy the instruments and max for live separately, but the extra effects appear to require suite.

susan b buffering fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 29, 2019

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Mister Speaker posted:

Check your I/O settings in Preferences, make sure that the input pair you're running from the record out on your mixer is enabled. Look at the channel it's coming back on, and mute it so you don't get into any feedback loop situations. When you're done recording a set and want to play it back, do the opposite - mute the clip tracks (grouping them could help with this) and unmute the track with the recording on it. When you hit record in Live it also records your clip triggering, so this plus the tracks left unmuted might explain clips "just starting and stopping;" you're listening to the whole set including the clips you triggered, not just the record track.

As to everything sounding tinny, I don't know - could be a bad cable or output on your mixer? What you're describing should be possible with your Scarlett or any other 2x2 interface.

Video question: are video clips warpable? I'm guessing not. I have this idea for cutting some video performance tracks, like of me playing drums for example, and want to lock all the hits to time (warping, duh) and I'm wondering what's the best way to do that. Is it simply a matter of warping the audio and then cutting the video to it in a video editing software, or is there a utility (Resolume maybe?) that can warp/cut video to its audio track?

The docs say video can be warped https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/working-with-video/

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

DreadCthulhu posted:

Has anybody hosed around with the SonarWorks Reference stuff in a home studio scenario? Did it make a huge difference? I produce in a normal rear end apartment with tall ceilings, monitors pointing away from the wall, nothing nearby for the sound to bounce off of. No idea if I'm missing out a ton by not calibrating.

I would advise against getting into room correction for an untreated apartment. You’d be better off spending that money on some bass traps or just better monitors.

You can also get a measurement microphone for like $80 and take measurements with room eq wizard, and make adjustments to the room based on that.

There’s also hardware boxes that will do room correction without sucking up CPU cycles. MiniDSP has some that are even cheaper than SonarWorks.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

justcola posted:

Way back in the day I used to use FruityLoops, then had Ableton for a bit before that computer broke. I know there's a free trial but I can't afford the £300-odd it is now and want to use it for a while yet - are there any older versions available for a better price or any free/cheap alternatives? I gave Hydrogen a go but couldn't work out how to edit a sine wave or anything.

All I really want is to make very simple background audio and I don't want to cut and edit together lots of samples in Audacity again.

What about the Intro version of Ableton? It’s $99 and still pretty full-featured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Izotope RX has some tools for that. It has automated tools but you can also get pretty surgical about removing unwanted pops with the spectral editor.