Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Charles Sheffield was very very far from a rightwing milsf type. You're safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

I know it isn't sci-fi, but I can't help but think that anybody who is even considering reading Harrington should just read Hornblower.

And then go on to Patrick O'Brian.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Baen had been giving away free books for a while, it wasn't just Eric Flint.

The whole "Baen Free Library" thing was Flint's baby to begin with, though. See the announcement from 2000: http://www.baen.com/library/home.htm

Lots of good stuff there. Lots of poo poo also, but hey.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Sjonkel posted:

Sci-fi/Space opera is pretty new to me, so can anyone recommend any books or series/authors that can match Bujold?

Unfortunately I cannot think of anyone who does exactly what Bujold does as well as she does it. If anyone else has any tips I'd be all ears, too.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

branedotorg posted:

I really enjoyee the Hammer and Cross series, one of the few done well norse mythology books.

Really? I found it was an incredible blend of pseudo-Norse D&D mythology (priests of particular gods all lined up with their different holy symbols and whatnot) with impossibly modern ways of thought among the good guys (20th century rationalist atheism WITH sexual liberation and equal rights for the women) on one hand, and "all monotheism is completely stupid and evil and Christianity especially so" on the other. And I AM a rationalist atheist who has played a lot of D&D and favours sexual liberation and equal rights and doesn't much care for monotheism so you'd think I'd be right there in the choir being preached to, but Harrison was just laying it on much too thick. I've read and liked a lot of Harrison, mind you, and even this series would have been quite enjoyable if I could have ignored the stuff I just complained about, but meh.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

General Battuta posted:

You should definitely do this. Cherryh takes a lot of effort to get into, but she was ahead of the curve in terms of writing political conflicts with no clear good or bad guys.

Yeah, Cherryh should be counted among the greats, IMO. Even if she has a tendency to write books centered around protagonists who are stressed-out, tired, beat up and way the hell over their heads in a pile of poo poo where they don't even know what's going on (seriously, there's a limit to how many books like that I can read in a row).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Hondo82 posted:

A lot of people here enjoyed Leviathan Wakes and its sequel Caliban's War. Leviathan Wakes is a bit of a mix of detective/scifi horror and very enjoyable, you won't get bored a bit. Well not more than a bit; one of the main character's idealism can be cringe-inducing in his stupidity but it's a minor complaint for me.

Yeah, these are way cool, I'm about 2/3 of the way through the second book now and am pretty sure I'll be picking up the third as soon as it's published.

quote:

Old Man's War is on my list to read as well, heard a lot of recommendations for it.

It's neat and the sequels are even neater. It goes places you might not think it would go.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

onefish posted:

I just actually reread a sci-fi book, which I almost never do -- GRAND CENTRAL ARENA, by Ryk Spoor. Reread because the author has started posting snippets and deleted scenes from the sequel (which is coming out, at least as an e-ARC, in a bit over a month), and I wanted a refresher, but also because it was such a fun world. This is one of those books I've liked more the further away from it I get. It's pulpy, but there's actually not that much *good* pulp like it out there.

Oh sweet, you just reminded me that there's more of his books conveniently available on the Kindle now and I still haven't read the sequels to Boundary.

Spoor was also always one of the highest-quality posters on rec.arts.sf.written back in the day and I was and remain very happy to see him getting published.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Covers like this are pretty much why I avoid most women sci-fi/fantasy authors out of habit - somewhere in my subconscious I just assume that it's going to end up being My Little Pony or something, since the few women fantasy authors I checked out as a kid, seemed to mostly be about misunderstood young tomboys who really liked to brush their horse/dragon's mane.

This is horrifyingly funny to anyone who's at all familiar with CJ Cherryh's work because it's basically way the hell over the event horizon from that stereotype.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Awesome. That sounds like just the sort of thing I'm looking for. I'll definitely get it, thanks for the info.

I enjoyed that series too, but thought it suffered a bit from simply having too much stuff shoved in there. Would have been well served by a tighter focus.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Miss-Bomarc posted:

It's resoundingly okay. Go ahead and finish it, but it does not really deliver on the promise of its beginning.

Yeah.

Read it a good while ago and the main thing I remember is that orbital mechanics do not work that way.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
About 80% through it now and still liking it. I'm hoping for the return of foul-mouthed UN grandma in future volumes, though. And/or other more interesting characters; the authors have proved they can do some good ones.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Scott Westerfeld's Succession is earnest and socially progressive, though, alas, not too quirky. I'd still recommend it.

Yeah, this is pretty drat good. Just a heads up: It's originally a two-volume series, The Risen Empire and The Killing of Worlds but there's also a UK edition which collects both and is also just titled The Risen Empire (I have a copy of this). Just to prevent any confusion.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Decius posted:

Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga would be my recommendation. An isolated, backwards, patriarchal and feudal society regains connections to the greater galactic society and the resulting growing pains shown through the lens of the Vorkosigan family (mainly through the extremely unconventional Miles of course). No AIs though.

A very common recommendation and for good reason. Miles Vorkosigan can briefly be described as "Tyrion Lannister with much better parents, in space" (except it's more like the reverse since the first Vorkosigan books were published maybe a decade before AGOT).

Edit: spelling

Groke fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 22, 2013

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

fookolt posted:

I just don't get why there are so few lefty/progressive sci fi writers out there.

Well, there's Eric Flint, for one.

Also most of the current/recent generation of British writers that aren't named Peter F. Hamilton.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

chimz posted:

The Vorkosigan books make the most sense in (internal) chronological order as opposed to publication order.

On the other hand, either of those orders works just fine. My personal recommendation would be to stick with internal chronology for the main Miles books (the most important thing, however, is that everything before Memory should be read before Memory, and everything after Memory should be read after Memory), and Do Whatever with the following:

Falling Free can be read whenever or skipped altogether (it's a minor work but even minor Bujold is worth reading).

Shards of Honor/Barrayar can either be read first or at basically any point (some rather amusing references in the post-Memory books will be missed if one hasn't read these yet).

Ethan of Athos (being the side quest of a supporting character) can also be plopped in wherever and whenever (after you've got a few books in and know a little about the setting and stuff).

That said, I didn't exactly follow this order myself and I suffered no harm: Started out with The Warrior's Apprentice way back around 1990 or 1991; thought it was a good little bit of fun light space opera; then some years later I randomly came across Mirror Dance in a bookstore and thought, hey, I've read this author before and another good little bit of fun light space opera would be cool right now. Yeeeeah. Then after that I backfilled on the ones that were out at that point in more or less random order (i.e. as I was able to find them (this was before the glorious age of online bookstores)) and kept up with the new ones as they were coming out.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just finished Barrayar. Much better than Shards.

It's got some pure distilled awesome in it, for sure. There's a rather amusing reference in a much later book to going shopping with Cordelia.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

What you'r reading right now started as Star Trek fanfic. If it's too egregious for you then skip ahead to the Miles stuff.

Mind you, the second half (Barrayar) was written a few years later and the author's increased skills really show.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm going to cheat. I normally wouldn't do this, but it's time you graduated to the big boy leagues. It's time you read the Aubrey / Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian.

I was going to post that, too.

MilSF often steals a hell of a lot from Age of Sail naval action so you'll get that itch scratched good and proper. O'Brian's also got marvellous technobabble, it's just about early 19th century sail ships and cannons instead of nuclear torpedoes and whatnot. Finally he does a better job than the vast majority of SF authors when it comes to immersing the reader in an alien and interesting culture (and if you think the world 200 years ago wasn't alien to us... you're just plain wrong). Also he's funny as poo poo.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
With the caveat that it's been 20 years since I read it, it's only a "series" in a pretty loose sense, i.e. the dude wrote some novels that share a future history and this is one of them.

Actually, what the hell, I remember enjoying it back then and it's $1.99 today, I just bought it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

ulmont posted:

And A Civil Campaign before that. And Barrayar, for a lot of it. Romance mixed with other items is pretty much Bujold's stock in trade.

She does that thing rather well and Cordelia is a hell of a great character in any case; this is a guaranteed buy for me.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Kesper North posted:

I'll definitely buy and most probably enjoy it, but I was kind of hoping for a By Vorrutyer novel. I just love the clever ones.

I'm actually hoping for a whole bunch of side-quest adventures of supporting-cast characters. There are many good ones to choose from.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

WarLocke posted:

I think there's a whole sub-genre about this kind of stuff. That wikipedia page mentions a David Drake book with a similar idea. Weber's was just the one that popped into my head because it was the first one I read.

Has anyone ever written a funnier twist on this than Poul Anderson's The High Crusade? It's only been, what, 55 years...

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Kesper North posted:

So it really is just what it looks like on the surface? Man... so lame.

That's Piers Anthony for you.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Velius posted:

Finished Nemesis Games. Kind of blitzed through since the building where I work was closed due to a power failure all afternoon. I thought it was very enjoyable. A ton of focus on the non-Holden characters

Does it feature foul-mouthed UN grandma? This will sort of determine whether I read it right now or a bit later.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Daktari posted:

I've recently picked up the Vorkosigan saga, and blown through two pre-Miles books. I get a good feeling from these. :allears:

Please tell me that the goon consensus of these books, is that they are worth reading. I've easily ignored series talked about ITT before, if enough people have talked them down.

Oh, to be able to read the Vorkosigan saga for the first time again. I envy you. (The series has been an abiding favourite of mine for, what, about twenty years now, just did my nth reread of the whole thing last year.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
loving browser double-posting on me? Ah well. Bujold is one of the greats of the field and there's nothing else like the Vorkosigan series, really. Books are notably not all the same, some have plenty of action with space warships and ultratech commando raids and whatnot, others are more investigation and so on, at least one is almost pure romantic comedy.

Groke fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 18, 2015

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

chimz posted:

I'd definitely recommend going in chronological rather than publication order, though you can hold off on the prequel 'Falling Free' until later.

The really important part is to read Brothers in Arms, Mirror Dance and Memory in that order; and not to read anything set after Memory before reading Memory.

Also a good alternative to strict chronological order is to start with the first proper Miles book (The Warrior's Apprentice) rather than the pre-Miles duology (Shards of Honor and Barrayar; aka the "Cordelia's Honor" omnibus), and go back to read that at a later point (preferably before you get to A Civil Campaign, or you'll miss out on some loving hilarious references). The main argument for this is that the first half of said duology (Shards of Honor) is probably one of Bujold's weaker books, being an early work (and allegedly having started life in its first draft as Star Trek fanfic); the second half was written a few years later and shows a more seasoned author already.

Also there's really nothing wrong with publication order either.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Used to have the Vorkosigan series on there too, but they took it down. (I'm not deleting the copy I saved, already had almost all of them in hardcopy so feel justified in keeping it for personal use.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Arbite posted:

Christ, really? It gets worse?

And then it keeps getting worse. At least for the first several books (I dropped the series quite some time ago and can't say anything about the more recent books).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

I think I may well be the biggest Weber fan in the thread, but even I have absolutely no desire for more Hell’s Gate books. Those were awful.

I made it less than halfway through the first. Life's too short.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Velius posted:

While Hyperion was actually decent the Endymion books are atrocious and retroactively make the first two much worse.

Also Dan Simmons has clearly been a victim of the brain eater for a good while now. EVIL MUSLIMS EVERYWHERE

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Khizan posted:

Falling Free is absolutely nothing at all like the rest of the Vorkosigan books; it's set in the same universe but that's the only connection.

Start with Shards of Honor, I would say. It's not the greatest, but I think that it helps set the stage for The Warrior's Apprentice pretty well. If you have a thing for chronological order you can go to Barrayar after Shards

Shards and Barrayar are also most easily available as an omnibus volume these days, so it makes less sense to skip Barrayar (which was also written a few years later and shows a more practiced author).

Basic recommendation: Start with either Shards/Barrayar, or The Warrior's Apprentice. In the latter case, you should backfill on Shards/Barrayar no later than before you get to A Civil Campaign (if for no other reason than getting a few references about stuff like "shopping with Cordelia").

After that, either publication order or internal chronology is fine. The most important points is that Brothers in Arms, Mirror Dance and Memory should go in that order, and Memory should be read before anything that comes after it.

Oh yes, and Ethan of Athos is kinda optional, being the side-quest adventure of someone in the supporting cast.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Actually the series goes to awesome when Cordelia

That's the "shopping" bit, yes.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Drifter posted:

Read the omnibii in the order they have been given.

Omnibuses. It's not actually a Latin noun of the second declension and even if it was it'd have to be "omnibius" to get that plural.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

jng2058 posted:

I had that reaction a few times too. It gets better as the series goes one, though.

The Warrior's Apprentice basically serves a double purpose as being mostly light space-opera entertainment, and also setting up the scenario and stuff for later and more... complicated stories. The Vor Game is, I guess, more of the same. I originally read the series way out of order -- had first read TWA when a friend lent it to me, thought it was an okay bit of fun, then more or less forgot about it until a few years later when I randomly came across another book by the same author and thought, hey, time for another bit of lighthearted fun space opera. That was Mirror Dance, which is... not that.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

It's always been so bizarre to me that Baen publishes Flint's stuff.

Flint and Bujold; between them they make up for rather a lot of Ringo and such.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Khizan posted:

I feel comfortable adding David Drake to that first list, too.

Yes. Also Ryk Spoor (aka good old Sea Wasp from rec.arts.sf.written, I always liked his stuff).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

I still stand by Flint and Drake being the best of the Baen author cohorts.

Bujold.

Flint is good and I've been meaning to check out Drake as his reputation is fine, but there's only one Bujold.

I also quite like Ryk Spoor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Yah, Aubrey/Maturin would be my go-to recommendation as well. It's historical rather than SF but O'Brian makes a better job of portraying an alien world with weird cultures and obsessively detailed strange technology than most space opera writers.

• Locked thread