Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I'm about to graduate college with an Int. Relations and minor in Russian, always figured I'd try to get into another agency but I figured I'd give the FSOT a try. Just registered today, hopefully I didn't miss the deadline.

I've seen some books on the FSOT, anyone know if they are worth getting?

Also, should I start cleaning up my Facebook account now? Have some photos in Russia and some of them are less than professional.

Edit: Also am I too late in registering for the upcoming test?

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Defleshed posted:

How about you (and everyone else in the drat world) just realize that Facebook is for you and your friends only and set everything to private so nobody can look at your poo poo without being your friend, or tag you in poo poo without your permission? It takes 5 minutes to do and I am absolutely baffled as to why people do not do it. I'm a professional, but I like to party and I like Facebook too. There's no reason to "clean up" your Facebook as long as it is set to highest privacy settings and your default photo isn't of you puking while riding backwards on a donkey.

I'm of the belief that work life and private life are separate worlds and what I do on my off time (provided it's not illegal or unsavory, and I'm not going around saying I represent my employer) is none of my employer's business. Unfortunately, potential employers don't seem to understand those boundaries and will try to get all up in your Facebook. You should do what you can to prevent it though.

I didn't mean this to be an angry diatribe but I hate how you have to pretend you're some sort of robot to get a job these days.

I do have it set to private, but last year I was applying for an internship with a different agency. It was highly recommended that we applicants do clean it up, suggesting that they had ways around it. Maybe they were bullshitting, maybe not.

Edit: Sweet, just got approved for the test.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 10, 2009

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

SWATJester posted:

Overall, it was a lot easier than I thought. 3-5 weeks to hear back, then three weeks to file my personal narrative, than 9-12 weeks to hear if I passed QEP. So if all goes well, I guess I could do my Oral Assessment in maybe February.

I took it today as well, think I kinda over prepared for it. The knowledge base one was especially easy. I'm guessing it is randomized as far as what questions you get because mine were mostly focused on management and that sort of stuff. I didn't go with the management track though, so it was unexpected.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Defleshed posted:

This was pretty much my exact experience last weekend, although my knowledge base section was light on history (bad for me) and heavy on geography (also bad for me) although I am pretty sure I did just fine on it. What threw me were the several questions that seemed to be composed entirely of bullshit corporate motivational jargon-speak.

e.g.

If you are supervising an employee who has high normative values for motivation and low normative values for cohesive team member paradigm shifting, do you:

a.) think outside the box
b.) going forward, seek the motivational core of your teams shifting point
c.) Take a poo poo, smoke a joint
d.) give the guy a raise

Obviously I am exaggerating but when I read it I felt like not only did I have no loving clue whatthe answer was, but neither would anyone else so it was cool.

Yeah, same here. Another beef I had with the test is the biographical portion. I chose a somewhat wrong answer. Normally you could go back and review it, but it was one of the questions that asked you to elaborate, and it didn't allow me to fix it. Was kind of a pain.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CherryCola posted:

Alright, I'm heading in pretty soon to take my test. But I just realized something that may not be so awesome. When I was filling out my application, I forgot to write in my high school jobs because I just really haven't even thought about them in years...but I looked back over and realized that they were in 10 years so I should have written them in. Are they going to think I'm hiding poo poo from them, is there any way for me to email in the information I left out? Am I totally dead?

I was kind of wondering the same thing, but from I gather I doubt that'd be the case. At first glance they may just assume you didn't have a job, and if they call you in you can bring them up and ask them to update.

May be different with every agency but when I was applying for an internship, I forgot to mention my 4 month stint working at a supermarket when I was 15. I told them about it later and they didn't really bother to update it. Would be a good idea to mention them though.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 7, 2009

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Suntory BOSS posted:

*unrelated note: I got an automated email notification that DoS is accepting applications for Diplomatic Courier positions. If anybody wants to be the lovechild of Tom Hanks in The Terminal and Fry from Futurama, this may be for you!

I was considering applying for that as something to fallback on. But I'm not to sure if I take that job if it would be a good stepping stone into a better position in the DoS later.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Got the first out of likely many rejections today for a career right out of college. Was just your standard "thabks, but..." Letter. Wonder if the letter is the same of you flat out failed or weren't up to snuff with others going for the political cone.

Edit: not to sound mopey. Kinda didn't expect much would come out of my first run, at least - know what to expect next year.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 28, 2009

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Shageletic posted:

Vilerat was an incredibly helpful and nice poster. He actually helped me get off my rear end and try to achieve some of my hopes. I can't believe he's gone. Its so unfair.

EDIT: If there is a donation drive for his family, I'd love to contribute.

Yeah he was very insightful, informative and a stand up guy for all of us in these threads. My thoughts will be with his co-workers, friends and family. The world is a lesser place without.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

TCD posted:

No worries, Vile Rat would want us to continue helping people out.

Yeah, I'd fill out the resume part for the FSOT registration as throughly as possible. I'm not sure if it's reviewed during the QEP, but it could (anybody know?).

As to advice on the FSOT itself. Yeah, be up to date, and think of examples where you've been in leaderships roles, had to be flexible, etc. I hadn't written a 5 paragraph essay in sometime, and that really killed me. I passed my 1st and only time taking the FSOT, but, didn't make it past the QEP.

Stay safe pamchenko and everybody else.

drat, just re-registered for the test this morning, but left out the trash jobs I held in high school and the like. Hopefully that won't kill me.

You try writing a few sentences about bagging groceries. Can't be done.

Edit: vvv I stand corrected.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 14, 2012

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Bruxism posted:

...and so much more! I am a DS Agent currently serving at a difficult post.

I have been on SA for years, but only learned about VileRat being associated with the FS in the recent press. The loss of each American hit us hard in a way I can't adequately express. Ambassador Chris Stevens was one of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of working with. To think of him being gone....

Ours is a job very few people know about, but it contains some of the most remarkable people I've ever met. Please...ask away.

EDIT: for discretion!

That's pretty cool and I've been trying to get into that. How many recruits have you met that weren't from either a military or law enforcement background?

CherryCola posted:

So here's my first question having applied for the FSOT for the second time. When I applied the first time around, I hadn't gotten my graduate degree and had zero real job experience.

Now I'm about a year and a half into a career at the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency and actually have a decent amount of training and actual leadership experience. How much of an advantage can I expect to have with federal employment experience?

Hey I know you came here asking for some advice to but think I could PM you about your experiences there? Just started my Master's and apparently I will have the opportunity to work with GIS here.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CherryCola posted:

Aww thanks! You should tell the State Department that :D BTW, is the new review guide worth buying? I bought the one like two years ago when I took the test before. Has the test changed any since then?

edit: By the way, am I the only one who is REALLY pumped about the consular track?

double edit: Does having a security clearance help and/or hurt?

Thats what I picked this time around. Honestly it doesn't sound half bad as I thought after reading further into it.

Since I last took it I've gained some work experience, including a years worth at an international shipping company and started my Master's. Think my chances are improved this time around.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Shageletic posted:

Don't think I did....poo poo. Whatever, if I really want to try this I suppose its worth doing again.

I made a similar mistake and left out some minor jobs I've had in the past, but mentioned the previous time. Would I be better off not mentioning them come the day of the test, or would it be better to bring them up despite not listing them earlier?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Econosaurus posted:

So I just took the FSOT today, and I was wondering how much of an impact the biographical section has. I felt totally comfortable with every part of the test except that one - I couldn't think of specific examples for a lot of things, so I probably undersold myself.

Yeah that part wrecked me in '08 when I was still an undergrad. The advice I've been given from other people is chances are you already have it, trying to apply past experiences from some BS job into governmentese.

I am doing some brief type outs for each of the 13 dimensions, and it kills me that I have more to talk about from my time as a manager in a Papa John's than I do for my first, full-time white collar job.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Welp, think I've studied enough that I'll either be ready tomorrow or not. One question though, the 13 dimensions is mainly used through the oral assessment, right? Or would it be in my interest to stick as many of those in the biographical section as possible?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Well that was fun. Bio section was much easier than before after getting enough experience to justify my responses. Essay was weaker than I would have liked but I think I did OK. Let's see if I make the curve this run.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
drat, missed the cut-off by 8 points. Still did much better than last time. Plenty of time to study in a year.

Good luck to the rest of y'all waiting for your scores.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Been a while since I've posted in here. Likely since my last FSOT in October and since then have just been plowing away at my Master's. Got news a couple days ago. Apparently I've been accepted into the DoS internship program Even better, it's in the department I hope to ultimately work for. Dunno how I'll afford it, but drat glad to have the opportunity.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I'm about less than a month away from the start of my internship, everything appeared to be going smoothly. Except my clearance has been held in adjudication for sometime, as far as I know some weeks before the holidays. Last time around I was in adjudication for less than a day so am getting a little anxious. Granted they rushed it last time under threat of the 2011 shutdown.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

tismondo posted:

It's the holidays, so I wouldn't be surprised if things were moving slowly. I was actually under investigation - not even adjudication - until 3 weeks AFTER my internship start date. I had to buy last minute tickets halfway around the world to finally make it to DC on the date they wanted me there.

Thanks. Yeah that's probably more likely. Well I guess from yours and my experience, convenience isn't really considered here.Had to give up my university TA position, stipend, and until I am cleared then I don't know when they want me to start. But it's for my dream job, so I'll put up with it.

Stoked.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

tismondo posted:

I found out on the first day of my internship my clearance had originally been "intern denied." It's a special kind of denial given to interns who have been abroad a long time. I guess investigating all those foreign contacts for a 4 month internship isn't worth it to them.

Luckily some people in my office have a lot of pull and they had the decision reversed.

Good luck to you! It's a great internship and I was amazed at how many FSOs in my office were former interns. Hopefully it pays off for us.

Luckily I was already cleared for a higher clearance a while back, so they just investigated everything from then on. Strange thing though that apparently they haven't contacted anyone as far as I know and its already in adjudication.

That's good to hear. I am hoping that I'll be able to snag work in DC and transfer grad schools at the end of this thing. Norfolk's getting a little dull.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Adjudication has been put on hold again for another week. I wish I could start this internship sooner so that I can better understand what you guys talk about in this thread.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Finally got through. Start the internship program in a couple of weeks.

Quick question, Business formal for interns, do they expect us in Polo shirts, or does it differ by department?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Ramms+ein posted:

Congrats on the internship. I'm applying again for the fall, I have a couple of questions, would you mind if I emailed you about them?

I suppose so. Halemtw at gmail dot com

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
More of a general question than State, where is a good place to get ties, dress shirts and the like in the Arlington/Alexandria area? It looks as though most of my stuff didn't make the move and I don't think I can come in with a bolo tie.

I found a Jos. A Bank in the area but in the past I found it to be kinda overpriced.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

In the past I've been a low-paid keyboard jockey, teacher's assistant, and now an unpaid intern so in my mindset everything is overpriced. As long as JoB carries extra long ties then I could settle for them.

Just left this Landmark mall place and it has a whole lot of nothing.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

psydude posted:

Jos. A. Bank is cheap as hell if you shop online and know your measurements. I've gotten two nice blazers for $80 each on clearance. I got a brand new suit for $180 during a Christmas sale.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out when I get back home. Ended up at a men's wearhouse. Spent more than I wanted but at least I'm ready for next week.

vvv

Yeah I think my view was a little skewed. Last time I had to get a suit was in 2011, from a backwater mall in SC.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 7, 2014

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Appreciate the advice. Yeah I haven't really had that serious a job where I had to think too much about suits. I think for now I'm OK, though hopefully I won't be scrutinized that intensely.

I've forgotten completely about shirt-stays, haven't worn those since JROTC. Where do you find those? I haven't seen any in retail.

Edit: Wait so you all have shirt-guys?

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 8, 2014

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Actually just got a couple more suits from MW. The suits I have are fine, but they are a little old and 3-buttoned. I don't get why suits keep switching # of buttons but I thought it'd be good to be current.

That's good on the shoes though. Not looking forward to wearing hard sole dress shoes again. Wearing my Doc Martens is like walking on a box of kittens.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I am due for orientation tomorrow at 7:45AM. Alarm set for 5AM, figure I'll leave Alexandria, park at Huntington and ride the metro in. Should that be manageable or am I underestimating just how bad it can be in the mornings?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Nutrimentia posted:

keep in mind that there might be a large group of people getting IDs and going through security at the same time. Arriving early = great habit for FS life.

FS life. I like the sound of that. Just need to make sure not to gently caress it up so I can make that a thing.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CronoGamer posted:

Quick question about the SF-86/security clearance paperwork. I'm about to submit mine for my summer internship. I seem to remember, way way way back in the early days of this thread, some people talking about making sure to save your information because of possibly needing to submit it again for future clearances (or higher level ones). Is there a specific way of saving it electronically, besides saving the PDF it displays before you submit? Were you guys talking about saving it just to have all of the info gathered together, or saving it in a way that I won't have to input it all over again?

If it's through eQIP I am pretty sure it saves all of that for you, letting you update it later for future clearances, and gives you the option for PDF at the end. But it is a good idea to keep it just for your records and in case you have to fill out another SF-86 for a different department. 2/3 of my clearances hit snags all because I forgot certain details that I filled in on an earlier one, but neglected for another, as well as leaving stuff out in later ones that I had only just mentioned under polygraph.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

problematique posted:

What's your speciality? IMS here. I was in the Orientation class today at Main State.

I was mixed in with the actual class for a bit, but I was actually just there for intern orientation.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Leif. posted:

I'm gonna be in DC next week -- if I can swing it to be an overnight stay, goon meetup?

I'd be interested.

Also, I met with my office today. I am both giddy as a schoolgirl and not quite sure if I know what I am doing. Should be fun.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Anyone in DC know if we are showing up for work tomorrow?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

The Mantis posted:

Yeah that's a negative good buddy

Much obliged Pig Pen. Now we on smokies' turf and there is a bear in the air so get on up the 8 and 0. Reckon we got ourselves a convoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN4XpIbEY-Y

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
^^^ Yup, always be nice to truckers, otherwise they can coordinate with other truckers and make your trip suck.

I hate to keep asking in this thread but they haven't added me into the system yet to get these notices, but DC is open again tomorrow right? Wash. Po. says offices are opening 2 hours late, is that right?

Example: If I usually show up at 7am I should show up at 9am? Or two hours past 9am?

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 14, 2014

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Ramms+ein posted:

I have a question about applying for a Domestic Internship and I am still a bit unclear after reading the brouchure. So I am interested in applying for an internship with the Office of Israel and Palestinian Affairs (NEA/IPA)underneath the Bureau of Near East Asian Affairs. During the application process, are you able to specify a particular office within a Bureau or do you just apply generally to the whole Bureau and get selected by an office. I have a lot of experience dealing with the Israel Palestine conflict therefore I think I can make a very tailored Statement of Purpose to that office but if I am applying to the whole Bureau, I don't want to make it too narrowly specific. Thanks!

With my application process I wasn't able to get that specific with my office request. Your best bet might be to just salt and pepper your application with whatever experience you have with Israel/Palestine and hope that they would take the hint/see fit to place you in that office.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
If tonight is a NoGo for me, you all have fun. Keep me in mind for anything in the future.

vvv Congratulations, persistence seems to be the key to this crazy gig.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 19, 2014

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

problematique posted:

Flag Day results: heading to Harare, Zimbabwe!!!!!!!!

Congrats. Meet up with me before you go and I could make you a (hundred) trillionare!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Congrats on everyone who passed! Look forward/hope to work with you all soon!

On an unrelated note, can anyone recommend a decent non dive/non-sports bar type place that is either in Alexandria or fairly close by and metro accessible? I'm starting to get cabin fever.