Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Hello everyone,

It's been a long long time since I was in the SAForums but I had a great time here way back in the day, must have been over 10 years ago, easy.

I'm back now almost solely for this thread. A friend recently relinked me to it and I remember reading it a long time ago, must have been before I took the test. I took the FSOT in Oct 2009 and hit the register in August 2010. Got my invite as a PolOff on Dec 28 and A-100 started at the end of March, 2011. I'm exactly 2 months from finishing my first tour, a CONS-ECON tour in Abuja.

I'm checking in here to say hello to the other FSOs here and throw my hat into the ring as a resource for those who are interested in the FS.

Cheers, all.

Oh yeah, most people abbreviate my name as "Nute", if that matters. It's an old persona that I haven't really worn outside of ArsTechnica in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
IIRC the FSOA appointments are available over about a 6 week window, so if you can get online quickly enough you have some flexibility in scheduling. I was living in Japan at the time and scheduled mine for a Monday. I flew in on a Wednesday, had a few days to get over any jetlag (which i fortunately didn't have anyway) with friends, then checked into the hotel next to the OA site the night before.

I don't have much experience with couriers but one of the econ officers in my office just transitioned from a long courier carrier to FSO. She had been doing FSO work for at least 2 year prior to that, so those positions are available to couriers. I knew another guy who was technically a courier but worked as a political officer here. He ended up leaving the service with a bad reputation that I personally didn't see that he earned, but the way I heard it was that he'd taken the political position in a hard to fill post with the understanding that it would help him transition from courier to FSO. It didn't work out that way though, but I'm not clear if it was because of his attitude or if his attitude came about because he got screwed. The point of that story is really just to balance out the first one, namely transition to FSO is possible but not guaranteed.

Finally, my last courier knowledge is purely second-hand from a USAID buddy who said that his courier friend loves the job as a single guy. He travels all over, "meets" lots of people, racks up bazillions of frequent flier miles, travels in class, great hotels, etc. My USAID friend said he was even considering changing to courier.

I'd recommend Tequila Sunrise seek out some couriers and get their perspective on the job. Lots of jobs and positions are really personality specific. My post has been fine for me without my family but would have been much more difficult if they'd been here. Of course I'd like to have them here, but caring for their welfare and happiness adds stress whereas without them, I only have to deal with my own welfare and happiness. Same surely goes for couriers: certain people probably love it while others hate it. Figure out why and which one of those groups you're most like and you'll know what to do.

I'll be arriving at FSI in September for 9 months. I know that I'm an unknown quantity here at SA but hopefully will get to know and meet some of y'all.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Ideally I'd say that you should begin "studying" before but by no means are you in trouble if you haven't. The advice to read The Economist cover to cover for a year I thought was pretty good (and I think that's generally good advice just for anyone).

The stuff you really need to know for the General Knowledge test:

-World Geography. I don't have all my old links but there I used a nifty regional geography quizzer every couple days to get everything up to snuff

-The US Constitution. Again, something that everyone should read again from time to time, but its important to have a reasonable familiarity with it.

-Basic American History. I recommend "Don't know much about History" by Davis. Highly readable and something that, yet again, I think everyone should read for their own edification.

-Some basic management principles.

-The difference between Mean, Mode, Median.

For the Bio section, I rated myself honestly (I've heard some people advise to give yourself a "5" in every category). You don't necessarily need full sentences, just provide the info or lists they ask for. Personally I think they use internal consistency checks on this, so if you rate yourself all 5s but can't list sufficient examples, it looks bad for you. Thus, I say just be honest and provide as much information as you can.

For the written section, I found it useful to practice writing under time pressure. I practiced with a 25 minute timer but if you're a slower typer, give yourself all the time. I don't think you'll get even 1 second over 30 minutes though.

You can find plenty of topics to practice on. Follow a standard 5 paragraph format:

I. Introduction. Should have some general background but CLEARLY state the position you'll take AND the supporting premises/examples.
II. Body
A. Supporting premise/ example 1
B. Supporting Premise/ example 2
C. Supporting Premise/ example 3
III. Conclusion. Restate the main points and premises, perhaps with a pithy wrapup. No New Information in the conclusion.

Remember that the written exam is just that, an examination of your writing ability. They aren't looking are your logical argument and they don't care what position you take on the topic, as long as you write clearly and consistently.

Pay attention to the topic. If it tells you to pick a side and support it, don't just write about the pros and cons of the issue. Clarity is important. A straightforward, well organized statement is what you should be aiming for.

"Follow Instructions" is an important bit to remember for everything related to the application process. It's obvious but people can get caught up with the excitement and stress of the moment.

Get a good night's sleep before the test. Have a good meal the night before and a quality breakfast. Relax and enjoy!

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
There are many at the embassy (mostly those with families, but there are also some hermits) socialize with a varied expat scene. There are 2nd and 3rd generation Lebanese in addition to the NGO and diplomatic folks. I'm working on building a Junior Officer's club that will bring in junior officers from the other missions with those from the local Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Much of it depends on the location and your personal intent. Talking with friends based in Europe, they don't see anyone outside of work, Americans or otherwise, as the cities are just too inviting to spend time with people associated with the job.

I'll be living in Falls Church with my wife and daughter come the end of August, until about this time next year.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
I don't know where I got this information but I believe the written test is weighted against the other test takers so that 45% of all takers pass. It isn't clear how they score the Bio portion.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Quarex posted:

I only posted that because it felt too low-content to just post that I somehow got talked into signing up for the June test. My friend in my doctoral department insists that if she got a good score that I will get a fantastic score, so we will see (I am not nearly so optimistic). I signed up for Public Diplomacy because even though clearly I would have a much better shot at the Consular track, I think I would be an amazing public face/press brah for this country so there we go.

All tracks have the exact same selection process, the only difference is dealing with the registry at the end. I don't know how the registers look these days but during my application, every track was over 100 people, some of them over 200. If you score well at the OA or have bonus points from language or previous service, your chances are good no matter which track. If you score the minimum on the OA, there's a chance you'll languish at the bottom of the register until your candidacy expires after 18 months. The shorter the registers, the less this risk.

Because of the common misbelief that its "easier" to get in via the Consular cone, the consular registery was one of the biggest back then. The fact is that your cone is irrelevant until the very end of the process, after you've passed the written, PNQ, oral assessment, med clearance, security clearance, final suitability review and are on the register. I discourage picking a cone based on a calculation that the cone will help/hurt chances of selection. Pick the cone of what you want to do and ride it out. Quarex, you seem to have done this and i'm not directly this advice at you per se. :)

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Yes, 5 suits at least is recommended to provide coverage while stuff is at the cleaners. There will also be times when you're traveling in-country for 3-4 days in weather that makes each suit unwearable after a day. Better to have too many than not enough. I like to keep a spare suit in the office in case of emergency as well.

Every post is different with the rules on that. Mission wide we have "traditional" Fridays. Local staff really get colorful on Fridays and direct hires sometimes wear local garb. The Pol/Econ sections still generally wear suits every day but its not uncommon to roll up sleeves and remove a tie in the office. On the visa line, jackets weren't required but we still wore ties. And at this post, you never know when you might be called in to a Front Office meeting and you'll want the full suit then.

My best advice with suits is to make sure your dress shirts have a good fitting collar.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
You've got the right attitude, Barracuda. I know it isn't easy getting knocked out of the process but it's important not to take it personally.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

cramerthegr8 posted:

So I managed to make it to the OA. Any tips for the memo section or any good ways to practice it? Are there any benefits for taking it in July or October? I have more questions but I'm on vacation and typing this in a kindle is a pain. Thanks!

I found that practicing with timed writing sessions at least made me feel more comfortable going into it. If you're on the Yahoo FSOA board they have some samples. I think I practiced with a 60 minute timer with those. Pay attention to the directions and give everything they ask for. Take a few moments after reading (and re-reading) the directions and the material to plot out what you want to write, make sure you're covering everything, then go for it. Give yourself some time at the end to read through it again. Try to relax and have fun.

For the group session, remember that it's about communication and teamwork, not about getting your project funded. Don't abandon your own too quickly but don't feel that it damages you if others have something better. I used a four-pane prep tool (double bisected piece of paper) to hit the four elements of my presentation. I forget exactly what they were but I think it was General Details, US Interests, Negative Factors, Costs, but please don't hold me to that.

Some people recommend reviewing the 13Ds and trying to formulate your personal interview answers in those terms. I think its a good idea to regularly review the 13Ds but I found it cumbersome and unnatural to try to explicitly tie things to them. Again, relax, be yourself, and have fun!

Good luck!

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Bruxism posted:

Hey dudes. I have landed in DC and will be here for the next few months (living in Falls Church Oakwood.) I'd be happy to organize a happy hour in the coming weeks for whoever is interested in meeting in person. Drop me a PM with a contact email or get it to me through some other means. Once I have the contact list put together I'll drop an email with some location/time suggestions.

I get there at the beginning of September; you still going to be around?

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
I got my travel orders today as well!

When it comes to the foreign contacts part of the clearance process, my investigator stressed the COMBINATION of "CLOSE & CONTINUING" contact as the bar for deciding who to put down. Obviously you don't want to hide anything but at the same time you don't have to put down the guy you partied with for the month-long study abroad you had 3 years ago and haven't heard from again.

I would love to see Diplomaticus's suicide box, if it's allowed.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Diplomaticus posted:

No worries, feel free to share with other FS goons, it's just that it wouldn't really make a whole lot of sense to people unfamiliar with EERs.

Cheers on that. I'm impressed with your restraint, actually. ;)

Nutrimentia fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 6, 2013

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
A good night's sleep with a couple of healthy meals on both ends.

Good luck!

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Eminent Domain posted:

Also, I've got another friend of mine who is looking at the FSOT, but she's been concerned about the possibility of ending up at a dangerous post. Any light current folks can shed on that? I showed her some of the stuff from the OP already but she was still wanting me to ask.

"Worldwide availability" is just that. It doesn't mean that you'll have to serve in a post that has danger pay (but most definitely will serve in "hardship" locations), but you have to be prepared for it, especially early on when you have little-to-no control over assignments. If you can't accept working 2 years in the worst post you can imagine (and by this, I don't mean "use your imagination" but check out everything in developing nations, border posts, etc), I recommend reconsidering the career. I really have no patience with people who are vehemently unhappy with their assignments because they weren't ready for it; they are bad for morale and come across as self-entitled, whiny elitists.

As for taking the written test, the practice test provided by State is very indicative of the kinds of questions you'll face. Some history, some geography, some math (Mean, Mode, Median, anyone?), some U.S. Constitution, etc.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
I got my final ticket out as well. People coming tomorrow to scrounge through my possessions and a packout scheduled for June 25.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Just realized that a couple of people from my A-100 are probably known to 1of7, at least if the information on people's location on the first page is accurate.

....or maybe 1of7 is someone from my A-100 class......

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
One was on the visa line and the other had an Econ assignment I think. The Econ guy is probably close to leaving but the consular dude and his large family have only been there for a year following a full course of Chinese. I'd have you sniff them out by offering salutations from Abuja but I know you're on your way to the airport. Safe travels.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Skandiaavity posted:

Abuja? Say hi to the IMS Mr. Phelps. (he was in my a-100)

Sure. Hopefully he knows you by Skandiaavity, cause that's all I got on you so far.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Start the process immediately. It takes a long time. It's an extremely competitive career with roughly 1-2% of those taking the written test (the first step of the process) getting job offers.

I took the written test in Oct '09, the oral assessment in March '10, finished clearances and made the register (waiting list) in August '10, got a job offer Dec 28, 2010, started work (and thus drawing salary) March 28, 2011. I don't think this is abnormal but technically it could be quicker if your clearances fly through and you hit the register at the top.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Skandiaavity posted:

Ha, no. He wouldn't know me by that. I'm "the guy who got sent to Manila" .. how are you liking Abuja?

I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Great consular work for the first year, interesting economic portfolios the second. Tremendous people here and live is easy. Yes, we have security issues but Abuja is pretty safe for the most part. We spend a lot of time at our compounds, hanging out at the pool or firepit, lots of barbecues. Thankfully I was here with people are good at making our fun and being satisfied being around fun people. Workwise I've learned a lot, including about some of the, uh, odd personalities the FS has accumulated.

I'm ready to go after 2 years but I don't hate it here. I'm happy I came here and wouldn't change it. I'm looking forward to having my wife and daughter back with me though. I'd actually hoped to get this job later and took the test more as practice, so when I got the offer, we weren't ready for my daughter to leave Japan yet. We wanted her to have a strong connection there and elementary education is tip-top, so they stayed in Japan for my first tour and I lobbied my CDO for places like Abuja (this was my top pick, even though we don't actually get picks in A-100). Next up is a full course of Korean starting in September and a Con-Pol rotation in Seoul after that.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Artificer posted:

Well, poo poo. Time to get started then. Do you guys have any ideas for possible alternatives if this falls through?

This career really should be considered a Plan B just because its so hard and time consuming. The timing isn't bad since you're only a sophomore, you might be able to flow right into. Otherwise, just keep on doing what you're doing. Don't go to Law School though and don't make career choices to please your family. If nothing else, plan on polisci/IR grad school.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Diplomaticus posted:

That's about the same timeframe as mine. Wait were we in the same vibrant A-100?

Oh, look at that. Based on your post and departure from the service, I know who you are. I doubt its hard to figure me out as well, as amongst the three of us posted here, I figure I'm the most likely to be at somethingawful

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Giodo! posted:

Remember that the State Department is, as a general rule, a very hiearchical organization that values protocol and decorum more than many private (or other public) sector jobs. It can be disorienting at first if you're used to flatter organizations.

I was expecting the emphasis on protocol and decorum outside of the office but was disappointed to run into within the office. Don't get me wrong, this is a great a job, but the personalities associated with it can be very difficult. I've noticed that many people simply don't have the patience for it and get it, further diluting the pool and leaving just those with low social and/or emotional intelligence or power issues behind. As a hierarchical organization that values protocol and decorum, it's easy for people that otherwise couldn't get respect to manipulate their position to demand it. I struggled with one person in particular becase I was in denial that that kind of person could be in this job. Once I finally accepted what a shallow pathetic individual they were, it was easier to accommodate their sad desperation to be relevant. It's a shame too, as everyone who works with them despises them, leading to low morale and a loss of efficiency in the job. Thankfully not everyone here is like that (but I've heard of places where they are).

95% of this job is who you work with, but in my very limited experience, at best only 75% of the people are those you'd want to work with.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
My post should say "....get OUT, further diluting the pool".

And I wanted to avoid hyperbole with my 75% comment. We've got a bunch of ELO here that are pretty much all awesome, but take out those without experience and the future is kind of bleak.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

TCD posted:

The USAID director was a super cool dude and Ambo was really great too. That set the tone, and it trickled down.

THIS. It starts at the top and if my ambo wasn't as awesome as he is, the awfulness I deal with would be 50 times worse.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Diplomaticus posted:

Do you look good in a grass skirt?

Only if that's all I'm wearing. I never put it together on you because as the thread originator, I'd assumed you'd been in longer. Nice to run into you!

ATI Jesus posted:

Having just finished up an OIG inspection last week, I really REALLY hope the OIG informal recommendations include "don't send 50 new hires to one post." I foresee "not-recommended for tenure" on more than a couple evaluations. Not enough mentoring; not enough mentors.

Not enough mentoring was a big theme in our recent OIG too.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Skandiaavity posted:

Abuja? Say hi to the IMS Mr. Phelps. (he was in my a-100)

I did, and now I know your real name. :)

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Skandiaavity posted:

:tinfoil: then send me an e-mail and say hello!

Ah, I only got your first name. I'll do some more digging.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Obelisk posted:

TCD can I send you a PM or an email?

What about a spouse who has special skills? In my husband's case, accounting skills? I need to ask around the various EFMs I know at post. Would he need to become a FSS or are there other ways to use those skills in the FS? He's a foreign national but, of course, he could become a US citizen.

I was seriously ill in 2009 and spent 2 months in hospital so I guess I never would have passed a medical clearance back then but still I'm kicking myself for waiting. Speaking of medical clearances, without going into too much detail, I had an issue with a heart valve, it was repaired and now everything is fine (knock on wood) except that I need to have an ecocardiogram once a year to check up on things. I don't take any medication so that's not an issue. I assume that this is the kind of thing which would not stand in the way of me getting a Class 1 clearance?

The only thing which holds me back about joining the FS is my kids (5 and 18 months) but seeing how underfunded the local schools are, moving around every few years seems like a small price to pay to get to go to international schools. Also, I keep meeting adult FS brats both from the country where I live and the US and they seem happy and well adjusted.

As with just about everything in the FS, the answer is "it depends". As TCD mentioned, I've seen a couple EFM and MOH serve as Econ Officers and Visa Adjudicators here, doing the exact same work as FSO. Our employee association has full time accountant and office management positions filled by EFM (or whoever we want to hire, actually, since the employee association exists independently of the embassy itself). One of our MGMT officers who was working FMO retired but as his wife was a tandem OMS, he came back to work in the MGMT office (different job from when he was posted here though).

So much depends on the country and the embassy, really. My gut says that hard-to-fill posts (re: AF/NEA/SCA) might have "better" jobs available due to chronic understaffing but that doesn't mean he could find good work elsewhere. It's even possible, depending on the host country, to work on the local market, teaching or accounting, or whatever.

I'm glad to hear that your heart is working well. I really have no idea about what can hold up a clearance but if you do have a required annual ECG, that might be a hiccup in places without adequate medical care. But don't let my wholly unqualified statement dissuade you from applying. Even if someone tells you that they KNOW you can/can't get the clearance, disregard that and let State tell you what's what.

The opportunity to raise my daughter in this life was one of my major motivations for applying. Not that I wanted to raise her rubbing elbows with ambassadors. I wanted her to grow up around the world, absorb an extra language or two, meet and know people from all over. It's difficult to leave schools, activities, friends, and communities, especially for kids, and sometimes they go from a place like Japan that has EVERYTHING to a place like Abuja that doesn't have much at all. In the worst cases, boarding school is an option that a lot of boarders and their families are quite happy with. Short story long, I personally think one of the best parenting decisions you could make is to join the foreign service. I'm always disappointed when I see parents who seem to be shielding their kids from the world around them at post in a misguided attempt to provide "stability".

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

mute posted:

...and even if they did allow an exception, I'd be required to re-take the training, delaying my arrival at wherever I was posted.

So what?

Listen to what everyone else has said here, it's good advice.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Regarding the Consular requirement: I think it is a good one. Consular sections are a beast unto themselves and I think it's essential experience to work within one as opposed to just watching it from the outside. Adjudications have to be done on site, at least for some/many posts, as there is so much information you can get from seeing someone face to face, not to mention the whole "can I see such-and-such documentation" aspect of an interview.

I could be wrong but the consular requirement isn't in place because we don't have enough consular officers; it's because it's good experience for doing FS work. The requirement may have started as a manpower issue but I think it remains because its recognized as valuable training. If it was a pure manpower issue, Consular Affairs surely could get more officers hired since CA is fully self-funding. If nothing else they could raise visa rates. And it makes for a good filter to keep out people who only pay lip service to the concept of being a generalist officer.

If people are staying away because they don't want to do consular work, good for them, that's not the kind of officer the FS needs. I know that it isn't enjoyable for many and there are plenty of egos that feel working in a consular section is a waste of their skills and talents, but those people disappoint me. We are gGeneralists and should be capable of finding interest, value, and enjoyment in any assignment. If you think you're too good to do Consular work for a year or two, it doesn't bother me if you don't apply to the Foreign Service.

Congrats on Macedonia. I don't know much about it but I'm positive you're going to love it. RedCrown, as for Egypt, first and foremost it will depend on whether or not Egypt is even on your bid list (assuming you make it through the QEP, FSOA, Clearances, and the register ;)). Then it will be a matter of the makeup of your class as to its popularity. The advice of "Hope for the best, Prepare for the Worst, Expect something in between" applies here. Imagine first which country you most do NOT want to go to and then contemplate actually getting assigned there in a position you don't want. Hopefully you're still excited about the job! Egypt will always be there, even if not for your first post. :)

The timing of a first assignment is much harder to massage, I think. Keep in mind that as employees, we have to be "working" every single day that we aren't taking leave, so basically you have to be either at post or in training every day, always. There is a little flexibility with training as you might be able to take an extra class here or there but from what I've seen, come Flag Day, you'll know your schedule and its pretty inflexible. When you are leaving post there can be a bit more flexibility because you can negotiate departure/arrival/training *a bit*.

Depending on the post, you might qualify for VSMA (Voluntary Seperate Maintenance Allowance) which provides additional money to support a family who is not living at post. You wouldn't qualify for VSMA if you get sent to a developed country but we did for Nigeria. I don't know if logistically its feasible for the family (do they have a place to stay, is family willing to be separate, etc) but its something to at least be aware of that would help offset the costs of your family joining you at post later on.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
That's a good way of putting it. I didn't mean to say that I thought it was necessary, just that it wasn't necessarily wasted. My experience might be different too since it wasn't a mindless grind through an applicant pool that is almost visa-waiver eligible.

My complaint about those that whine so much about the consular obligation is that its just so counterproductive. Yes, we recognize that it isn't the most efficient use of resources. Yes, I know you're a special snowflake that apparently doesn't realize that many of the rest of us would prefer other work but we do the consular tour to the best of our efforts if for no other reason than it's what the job is and we just don't make as much noise about it. A lot can be learned about a country (I think rotations are better, just do a year of consular) and there's close LES coordination.

Given the choice I'd probably vote for an option that had everyone do a rotational assignment for the first tour and maybe make the first tour 2.5 years long (18 months in the non-consular job). I hope that everyone who doens't want to do consular work at least can find it within themselves to make the best of the situation without ruining everyone else's tour with their incessant complaints. And I still think that the distaste for it does serve as a good litmus test: If you can't bring yourself to suck it up for a consular tour, there's plenty of other crap associated with this job that acn push you beyond your limits and turns people into crappy colleagues.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

AgentSythe posted:

I got my email from State today...

...made it out of Specialist QEP this time! Now it's time to get weeded out in OAs to be scheduled "in the next few weeks"! :negative:

Congrats! Your first OA?

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Agreed, everyone who gets invited to the OA is someone that State wants to hire. The OA is an opportunity to confirm that for them. I don't know how specialist OAs differ from Generalist but my advice is read the provided information so you know what to expect, get a good night's sleep, and enjoy yourself. If there is timed exercises maybe practice a little bit (we had to read a bunch of material and write a 2 page memo in 90 minutes, for example) but don't stress on it. You've got the skills and aptitude for the job. Relax and enjoy yourself, let them see you for who you really are.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Me too!

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Ofaloaf posted:

What (and where) exactly is a "Worst" posting? I was contemplating/fantasizing bidding for a post in southern Africa, the Balkans or the Caucasus, myself, if I got through the whole process.

Imagine what is worst for you. Some people think Afghanistan is the worst, others see Abuja, others still get sick at the thought of being posted to Paris.

The QEP is less about getting the key experience and more about how you're able to present the experiences that you have already. Dealing with life in general is sufficient and then it's a matter of recognizing it and explaining it so that they see it. Planning a birthday party for 10 8 year-olds can be more challenging than a codel! Keep in mind that Problem-solution-result structure is what they want.

As for staff aide stuff, I've heard people say that SA for a political appointee is undesirable as they don't really have the contacts needed for career advancement in the foreign service. I heard that there were NO volunteers for the job at the embassy of one of our closest partners for this reason. Career FS ambos know people and are known whereas the appointees very well may not even be associated with DoS after their ambassadorship. Granted, this is just the opinion of a few people, and even if its accurate, the work you did still shows in your history. You'll also have a chance to impress the other people in the embassy as a staff aide, so I'd wager its almost always a good career move.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
I don't think there is anything inherently bad about using a gaming experience. It really depends on the experience and how you write it up. The QEP response should be about you and what you did; everything else is just context. I would think that you could explain what it took to run the guild or organize an event. If its a good experience and example, don't shy away just because isn't mainstream. I'd look at it for you if you wanted.

Keep in mind a Problem, Action, Result format. What was the issue or challenge, what did you do, and what happened as a result?

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
At least you could sell your POV. I had a buyer lined up and just needed one final stamp from the MFA when "new rules" appeared that limited the sales of diplomatic vehicles to non-diplomatic buyers. I'd brought my huge expensive vehicle specifically for sale on the local market (and they still have to pay duty and tax and all that jazz) and really got screwed by this. I'd intended to take the proceeds of the sale home as part of my savings and buy a vehicle for my 9 month TDY, then ship that to my next post. Instead I had to ship my beloved beast back to the US and have to sell it there now. I don't know what I will do for a car during training since I can't ship another POV on these orders and I don't want to deal with trying to sell it as we pack out.

I was looking forward to the wheelbarrow of cash I would have had, just for the laugh factor.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Nice! Do you get language?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

CherryCola posted:

Just another month and a half before I'm eligible to take the FSOT agaaaaaaaain. Third time's the charm? God I hope so. I'm trying to figure out what I can do this time around to actually get past that stupid QEP phase. Last time, my essay was just barely good enough to pass, so I'm thinking I should try to do a couple practice ones. I probably need to do a bigger world history review as well this time.

Any other recommendations from any of the people who read my PNs last time?

I'm also starting to think of backup plans (besides just staying at my current job, which I love, but has very little opportunity for advancement/travel right now) including USAID or the UN.

edit: I'm also toying with the idea of going political cone this time around. I've done consular the last two times with no success, but even though I know political is more selective...maybe it's more appropriate?? Can't hurt to try!

edit: oh wait, I just noticed the public diplomacy track. Is that new?? Because it actually sounds PERFECT for me!!

All the cones are the same up until you're on the register. At least as far as is known, your cone doesn't impact any step of the process (FSOT, QEP, FSOA). Everyone is looked at the same. The registers can be different depths though but if its still anything like what it was when I went through, there are so many people on them that cone remains irrelevant and it boils down to your OA score plus language and veteran bonuses. Don't choose a cone based on the mistaken perception that cone selection will somehow impact your chances of getting through the process.

Good luck though!