Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

My pets got their gifts today, so I was taking pictures of them with nice things and then while trying to find/get a picture of our most skittish cat I go into the curtains and.

and after dropping my phone and scrambling to get it from a bad position for five minutes

:3:

Then she freaked out like normal when I moved her over to her new perch like normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

marshmallard posted:

Hat has spent the last half hour meticulously licking a four-inch spot on the bedsheet. There is no food on it. He looked like he was grooming it.

Why would he do that?

:ohdear: Is this abnormal? Indy does that to blankets and pillows sometimes.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

diadem posted:

My kitten goes nuts around the laser pointer. She gets excited as soon as I pick it up before I even turn it on.

This is all well and good but she does something rather odd. She makes clicking noises, opening her mouth with her bottom jaw shivering up and down rapidly. It's almost like she's trying to produce a sound her body won't allow.

I've backed off using the laser pointer (except when she finds the pointer and makes the "give me attention" whine while nudging it) until I understand what this behavior is. I can take a video if needed.

Is this normal? She's an otherwise intelligent and well behaved (if not overly affectionate) kitten normally.

edit: I'm concerned that she's frustrated she doesn't understand how it works but knows the thing's intangible and can never actually be caught. Or it's the only toy that can move fast enough to keep her entertained with that ridiculous goku-like kitten agility.

It is completely normal and means, I wanna eat that thing really bad, and its the cat imagining/practicing the kill bite.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

My cats know not to climb on the kitchen counters... anything else is fair game. I taught them this by grabbing them up and putting them in the sink for a bath. :colbert: They got the hint.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I TNR'd a kitty outside my patio once and made sure to feed and skritch it every day. He made sure to chase off other cats. One day I went outside without glasses to feed it, looked at the floor and thought 'Huh. Weird looking worm.' Went inside, got my glasses, back outside. '... a snake??!!?? :supaburn::stare:' Then he came, sat in front of it proudly, and went on to the foodbowl. I moved the snake towards him, he then took the snake to eat it while leaving me with about half kibble left. Share and share alike I suppose and he gave me first dibs.

Miss the guy, but i'm very sure that my neighbors took him and adopted him before they moved.

He loved you very much.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

My Indy loves getting belly pats, but he will still do the INVITING TRAP when he isn't trying to occupy the same exact space I am at all times.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Robot Mil posted:

I have a kitty behaviour question!

We have two cats around 5 years old, both have always been indoor cats and we've been happy to keep them that way. However Hector has 'escaped' a couple of times since we adopted them last summer. Once for a few hours (we were out having a BBQ and didn't notice he'd sneaked through an open window) and once for just a minute or two after he legged it out the front door while we were carrying boxes in. We immediately chased him down and brought him back in but he was happy to go off wandering and exploring.

Ever since his second escape, Hector has been meowing pitifully at the front door and scratching at it. I don't want to start any kind of 'should cats play outside' argument, but I just want a bit of reassurance that we're not bad cat-parents for keeping him indoors :ohdear: Our decision to keep them indoor cats is based on us not having a catflap (we're renting) so they couldn't get in and out easily if we're not home, plus there's lots of other cats around and we're near quite busy roads and we don't want them getting hurt!

He probably really likes it, all three of mine are primarly indoor cats but they enjoy some outside time and now that they have a large fenced in yard to roam in they are very happy. (unless it is covered in snow then they :catstare: at me to make it go away.)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Petsmart in my area does it from charities as well.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Flying will work better I think a few at least let you do them as a carry on as long as you get a small enough carrier to fit under a seat. This way you can jam your fingers into the carriers front so they can nuzzle (MAUL) your hand en route and be more comfortable.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Ronald Raiden posted:

Well I didn't see this in the faq anywhere, so I'm just gonna ask here. I'm thinking about toilet training my cat. Anyone used that poo poo? It work? Looks like Litter Kwitter and Citi Kitty are the ones that come up, any recommendations? Would it be too hard to train a cat who has been using a litter box for a while?

tia

My cats all drink from the toilet so I think it is too late for me. If they are drinking out of it i'd say you shouldn't if they aren't I heard you can do it fairly easily.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

One of my cats is an angel with not knocking poo poo over, she moves with such stealth.

Another does not go into high places, he prefers to prowl low and thus doesn't knock poo poo over anyway.

The last plows through life and my poo poo meowing and trying to get my attention. But it is hilarious when he dives onto a pillow on a coffee table and SLIIIIIDES on it until he crashes onto the dog.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Basically Do not put anything you don't want falling anywhere near an edge, YOU HAVE BACK OF THE SHELVES FOR A VERY GOOD REASON.

Luckily I collect books which cattes preferred method of dealing with is SLEEPING ON IT WHEN I TRY TO READ ONE.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

duckfarts posted:

:catstare:

Holy poo poo you have some treat motivated cats.

I have a catte I could get to do it for a treat.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Rorobb posted:

Hey cat thread, I hope someone here can help me out. My girlfriend and I have had a female cat for about a year, since she was about 9 months old. She's basically a huge goofball that switches back and forth from two moods: sassy and clingy. When she's sassy she'll bat at us, sneak attack us, etc. When she's clingy she'll just get in our laps and turn into a motorboat.

We've been toying with the idea getting another cat so that she'll have someone to hang out with during the day, and in turn maybe mellow/even her out a bit. So a couple of days ago, we went to a shelter and adopted a male 1 y/o.

The new cat has accepted me and my girlfriend completely. He's super affectionate, loves to play, ad even slept through the night with us (something our girl has never done). Unfortunately though, interactions between the two cats are not going well, and seem to be getting worse.

It's only been a couple days now, but their personalities really seem to clash. When we let them interact, the new male just gets a menacing look on his face and will not let our female relax at all. He'll charge and stalk her around the apt while she makes the saddest, most pathetic chirping noises. The female will just walk up to him and start swatting and hissing, and then cower and run away. This morning we had to break up an all out fight.

I'm worried that our first cat may just be too used to being alone and has become cat awkward. She doesn't really seem to have any confidence or knowledge in how to approach another cat. The new cat seems to have a lot of confidence but is already acting like he owns the place, which isn't sitting well with us because we feel very protective over our first cat and hate to see her scared.

Right now we are just keeping them separated by a door and letting them interact every few hours until the tension gets too high, but the interactions seem to be going down hill. Any suggestions?

Time, joint treat feedings. I find that putting a large pile of delicious food into your hand, then giving out some to one cat and some to the other works wonders a lot of the time.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

SpaceAceJase posted:

More kitten pics!

When did you get a new rug?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Erwin posted:

Hi cat thread. I'm sure this comes up all the time, so feel free to berate me and point me to the last time it was discussed:

There's a cat that has been hanging around outside my house lately. He (I think he's a he) is super-friendly and gets lots of skritches from me in the mornings. He'll then follow me for a block or two on my way to work. So basically I'm pretty sure he's mine now.

He seems well-fed, but has no collar. Since I live outside Philly in an urban town with lots of traffic and it's February, I'm pretty sure the owner (if there is one) is not a good cat owner. I haven't decided if I want to adopt this cat, but I'm pretty sure I do. I don't currently have any pets, but I grew up with cats and dogs, so I know what's involved. Should I choose to kidnap take in the cat, my plan would be to buy all the accouterments ahead of time, then grab him one morning when he comes around (he already tries to run inside my house, so it shouldn't be a challenge). Then, I would take him to the vet as soon as possible and have him looked over and see if he's chipped. After that, there'll be an 80s sitcom-style musical montage of us becoming buds.

So my questions are: Is this a bad idea in general? Do I have anything major to worry about with a (clean, well-fed) street cat? Is he going to hate me after a few days of becoming an indoor cat? Even if I decide not to take him in, is it a good idea to take him to a vet to see if he's chipped?

I'd say take him to a vet to check for chipping and if he isn't chipped or the owners respond that they threw him out get dat catte.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Better to get a firm hold on the cat and shove them in when they don't expect it. or Hold, burrito them with something then place them in the cage.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

These pine pellet things, divvy up a cup once a week into the litter boxes no stink and the cats like it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Cats can be weird with dogs, any indication he was a dog adjusted cat before you got him?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Vet, just as a thing if you cat is peeing outside some place that it knows (or has decided on its own, one of my cats pees and poops outside because the dog does and thus he must be superior to the dog and do it as well, another found a really old blanket in a hidden spot and turned it into a litterbox... ugh)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

MY cats love cheez-its... and it is hilarious to watch the lengths they go through to get the crunchy cheesy goodness into their mouths, pushing it around trying to get their mouth on it, trying to wrap a paw around it and lift it into their mouths like people :allears: so funny and they get a delicious treat.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Busy Bee posted:

My 2 year old cat recently got attacked (No visible scratches or blood) by the neighbors cat and right afterward my cat started dry heaving. Any reason for that and should I be concerned?

Not really if he hasn't done anymore, at least your cat doesn't poo poo on the floor after getting his rear end kicked. Basically a stress reaction.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

For people with :downs: cattes I feel you some but not on poop, because one of my cats shits in the yard during his outside time then scrapes dirt and leaves over it. (I think he does this to prove he can do it better than the dog, like look you stupid dog cover the poop). Also they have never had a problem with tables and only climb on the treat table. (the beagle will zoom in and consume any treats if they are on the floor.) :shrug:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Rand Fan 420 posted:

I moved to a new city recently and haven't had time to set up a new vet for my cats yet (they're due for their yearly), but something happened that has me a little concerned. I'm going to set up an appointment ASAP but I wanted to get your input on it as well. I currently have two male cats, shorthairs, both almost 3 years old and got them from a shelter at ~6 months. They're on w/d dry food, and have been for over a year (since the one i'm not asking about gets tummy problems from anything else). Inside only. No litterbox problems, just one that they happily share. No health problems so far.

One of my cats used to be feral and is REALLY skittish. When I went away recently he hid from the catsitter under the stove on the last day I was gone and got stuck - I think he was only there for about 6 hours or so, but by the time I got home he was worked up into a horrible panic and howling. That was about four days ago. Yesterday, I noticed that he had some kind of weird lesion on his belly, right where it meets his leg. It almost feels like there's something glued to his fur, the skin is all scaly and dark (possibly dried blood?) and the fur is matted. Today, I discovered that there was another patch like this on his side, where the hair seemed loose. The skin there was bright pink, not red, though. And then I found a third similar one further up his belly. I can't find any other spots like that, and when I poke and prod at them he doesn't freak out at all so I don't think they're painful. I also haven't noticed him scratching/biting those places excessively, and his mood is totally normal, even maybe extra happy. Sleeping, bathroom habits, all totally fine.

At first I was afraid he'd somehow spontaneously contracted ringworm, but there's no fur loss as far as i can tell and it's all on the lower bits of him, none on his head/neck. And he and my other cat lick, cuddle, bite, and play with each other all day long, and my other cat has no weird skin issues whatsoever, so I don't think it's anything contagious. I'm wondering if maybe he got an insect bite from some weird bug under the stove, or scratched himself in a panic and now I'm just seeing the irritation and dried blood? Should I be more worried than I am? Like I said, I'll try to get a vet appointment lined up ASAP but I wanted to have you guys weigh in on it first. He has dark gray fur that's really thick so my attempts to get a picture of the things were sadly unsuccessful. Thank you!

Edit: in my plea for your help I give you his fuzzy belly. Look how fuzzy it is, that fuzziness must be preserved

Sounds like he is gnawing on himself... my cat occasionally does it for not loving reason as far as I can tell.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Minarchist posted:

So I came across this little guy on Tuesday afternoon:

Some kid outside the local grocery store had found this little guy somewhere and didn't know what to do with it. I took him into work (I work at a vet clinic) and got him looked over, aside from a few fleas he's healthy! I'd say he's about 7-9 days old now, his eyes aren't open yet. I'm feeding him with a little syringe :3:

I have him in a cardboard box now with towels, pillowcases, and a hot water bottle. I've been helping him pee every few hours after mealtime but he hasn't pooped yet. He doesn't seem distressed at all, his stomach isn't distended and he's crawling around normally. Should I be worried? I had some kittens I was in the same boat with in October 2011 and I vaguely recall it took a few days of feeding before they even pooped a little.

Wanna pet dat catte. I think it would take a few days before poo..

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I never had a problem with my cats sleeping in my room. 2 at the side 1 on my feet.

a Big important thing is that 1. you make very clear to the cats when it is sleep time, even if they do not sleep they will likely not bother you. 2 provide a cat bed nearby (on a dresser prehaps) where the cat can both be near you and also not disturb you.

Since the big thing seems to be one attacking your feet, when he is attacking your feet under a blanket you could try snagging him with your feet and dropping him gently off the bed so he gets that Doing that is bad.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

For now, he's still trying to get at his tail; I was finally able to get him to take his painkiller (used bread to roll it and a kitty treat together) and hopefully that calms him down. We've tightened his collar as much as we're comfortable with, and he still finds ways to slip it. I'm afraid that if I go to bed I'll wake up to a missing collar, unwound bandages, and a bloody mess of a tail :(

The vet did advise us to keep him seperate from Chairman Meow in case she started worrying his bandages, but separating them is virtually impossible in this house and keeping either one gated into the tiny kitchen or tinier bathroom for a week ain't gonna happen. Thus far all she's done is :catstare: at him flopping about though.

When Indy got his tail caught in the door we taped the cone on at the cost of some neck fur to ensure he couldn't get at it. I'd recommend the bathroom at night and observation at other times.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I am on a rv trip for the next 10 days so my mom is watching the 3 cats. I get a call because she was greeted by a cat murder parade this afternoon. We are talking about 3 cats in formation with Indy the alpha cat in front proudly dragging a large dead robin as a murder present. My mom was fine her boyfriend freaked the poo poo out though. :3:

I wish I had pictures :negative:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Glucosamine and Chondroitin Has worked out very well for my 14 year old cats, and they love the chewable treat version in a "holy poo poo give me more of those human, NOW" way. I mean only one cat really has movement problems but it has visibly improved his quality of life... and led to him murdering a teenage robin and bringing it as a murder present.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

World's best has proven phenomenal for my cats pooping pleasure.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Stemmler posted:

I just got a kitten on the 4th of July, he is 13 1/2 weeks old. I've had cats all my life but this is the first one I've have in my own apartment.

For the most part he has been well behaved for a kitten. The one behavior we want to try to stop is him jumping up on the tables and counters. He's not big enough to get to the counter yet but can get on the chair then to the table.

We started with foil on the tables, squirting him, and shaking a can of pennies. They all seem to work well once, annoy him the 2nd or 3rd time, then after that he ignors it. I reread the beginning of this thread and will try an air can and a little vinegar in the water next. Any other things to try.

Hey got a kitten on the 4th of July Buddy.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Prepare to be pissed on.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

For those worried about the heat, cats are primarily a desert animal (although they can survive practically anywhere) heat is not as huge a deal to them as with some other animals. Just remember to keep plenty of water and something shady handy. (then watch them sleep in hottest part of the house because it is a cat.)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Sometimes when I'm petting my cat and I start rubbing his stomach, he whaps his feet onto me, latches on (lightly) with his claws and bites me sort of. Is he playing or telling me to gently caress off? His ears and whiskers are all forward and after a second or two he starts licking instead, which I think means he's cool with it - but obviously I don't want to piss him off.

Belly trap, very common, your cat is practising how to murder the poo poo out of you if you ever forget to scratch him.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

My cat rubs his teeth on my arm as well... because he loves me, if he is just rubbing his face along you it is because he likes you not to attack you, attacks would be actual biting.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Just remember when scruffing to support the body on an adult cat, generally just cup the back legs, otherwise you can cause pull from their weight and they will let you know.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Itchy posted:

First time cat owner here. I adopted a seven year old male dsh from a woman off Craigslist who was moving and couldn't take him. He had been living with her in the same house since he was six months old. She described his as being "very shy" and didn't mention any health problems. I've had him for five days and he has been in hiding ever since I brought him home. If I try to hold him or pet him he trys to run and hide. He will sometimes hiss but never bites. When he walks through the house he's crouched low to the ground and moves slow with his tail tucked between his legs like he's scared. He also has greasy fur on his back with dandruff, which I think may be because he isn't cleaning himself. He does come out at night and when I'm at work to use the litter box and is eating small amounts of food. Is this normal behavior for a cat that's in a new environment or should I be concerned?

Do you have his vet records? if you don't might be a good time to take him in for a general check up + any shots, He otherwise sounds normal for a very shy cat in a new strange place.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

fspades posted:

I'm not sure. I heard something sliding on the window (as if he was trying to grasp it and failing) and then immediately a thump sound from outside. The bastard was just walking away when I looked down.

As another goon said he was probably leaning off the ledge and using his paws to brace himself for a leap down, He should be ok but you know don't let him keep doing it because it can really stress out his legs.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

leftover posted:

Someone explain these cat behaviors to me:

1) If I get up and move, Charlie constantly walks RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, forcing me to a) step on her, b) stumble, c) walk into her, or d) cautiously step over her (I've been doing d a lot better lately)

2) Whenever I eat ANYTHING Charlie meows like she's dying. If I offer her a bit, she immediately grabs my hand, sniffs it, maybe licks it, then ignores it. This is from cheese, to meats, to veg, and everything in between. IT NEVER CHANGES, she only eats her cat food, but always demands mine and then ignores it.

3) If I'm on the couch not doing anything she ignores me, if I'm at the computer chair she ignores me... the moment I lie in bed it's either ~PET ME NOW~ or ~PLAY NOW~ (this is both after playing/not playing with her before bed). The "pet me now" is cute, but her version of it is to LIE ON MY FACE and purr, and the playing version is usually biting me.

4) It's humid here, so I keep the balcony closed. If I got out on the balcony without Charlie, she stays right by the door staring at me. If I let her out with me, she's staring at the door waiting to go back in.

1) Charlie loves you and wants to be near you,

2) Catte

3) Catte

4) Catte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

muike posted:

Why the hell does my 18 year old cat crave fruit and go insane with desire if it's within visual range

Because you have a cat? give it an apple slice and take a video of the cat with it.