Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

America Inc. posted:

I've got 2 male cats and they play fight every day, but I think they also do it to assert dominance.

One cat will try to sniff the other's butt and the other cat will guard their butt to the death. Apparently whoever sniffs first is the top dog. It's very strange to watch.

Dudes rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Can anyone tell me what type of cat my boy is and what threads I may post pics of him in?

Thanks!

It's the good kind

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

pandy fackler posted:

I need a litterbox recommendation. My cat has one roughly in this stylehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003RQVGKC/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 only it isn't jumbo and I never put the door on because I didn't want the odor to be completely trapped inside. The problem is that sometimes (often) she sticks her butt outside the door frame, missing the box and peeing on the litter mat. Are there any boxes that would prevent this without being totally enclosed, or are enclosed litter boxes not as bad as I think?

what about a top-entry box?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

been trying some different foods and 5 month old only wants royal canin kitten now :negative: my wallet

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

How do I stop my 5-6 month old from getting in the kitchen sink? It's mostly a problem when I'm using it, which is when he is most interested in getting there -- I assume for both attention and access to running water.

It is really annoying when I'm trying to do dishes. I have to pick him up and put him down, over and over - 6 times yesterday within a few minutes. Sometimes he responds to a "no" or a hiss or something, but usually not.

Once or twice he's gotten up there immediately after me putting dirty utensils, which isn't great but not a big problem (yet). He also got quite close to the stovetop once and I assume he will go there if I leave food uncovered (when I am there but sitting down).

When and how will it stop? Could a fountain be a solution?

The culprit:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

What about this thing? He does have his own bathroom with sink, and minimal cleaning is appealing.
https://aquapurr.com

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I ordered the AquaPurr. I hope he likes it. I clean too many things I didn't used to already.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I've never bought this but was contemplating it for the longest time: https://aquapurr.com/

Battery powered and attaches to the water tap
I got it this week. He likes it. He gets very wet though.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kullik posted:

Yeah honestly but there were some kinda weird circumstances with the shelters here only letting you adopt if you were willing to let them go outdoors and stuff. I think with two of us here and me working from home we can probably manage til he chills out. I was just hoping for some recs to make it a lil easier
I had to attest that I would not let the cat outdoors. This wasn't unique to the cat or anything; it was their standard.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Weird Pumpkin posted:

When we adopted pav from a cat rescue organization they had like, multiple questions relating to not letting the cat outside on a (honestly super thorough) questionaire

Crazy how different it is in the EU/UK I guess

they were going to phone my corporate landlords and get back to us in a couple days then it turned out the person helping us's partner lived there and was familiar with the policy. there was also a form asking us a bunch of questions about our plans for taking care of the cat and what we would do if we went on vacation, the cat got ill etc. It felt like a job interview.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

kreeningsons posted:

We keep their nails trimmed but it is not really as effective as the caps. Without the caps they can still easily hook their claws in rugs and certain fabrics.

It probably feels bad for the cat to have the caps on.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

kreeningsons posted:

It’s literally recommended by the OP?

It's still something that would change the cat's experience of moving around and doing stuff. I assume some cats could get used to it and some won't (which seems to be true of anything for cats).

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Deteriorata posted:

All cat foods are regulated by the FDA to have proper nutritional levels.

I don't think this is true. Where did you read it?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I see, I didn't understand the labeling requirements that well from the fda's page (which doesn't really say anything about nutrition). Thank you.

It looks like the process for substantiating the marketing claims of complete and balanced are extremely weak, though. It also doesn't take into account things like digestion. I've noticed it gets worse for my cat if the dry food has pea or other legume proteins in it. Besides nutrition, it sounds like inspections and enforcement of the manufacturing processes are also pretty lax.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

America Inc. posted:

My cat Wolfie tries to put his butt in front of my face so I'll sniff it. I said this before but my cats apparently sniff each other's butts to show dominance, and I guess since I'm the alpha Wolfie wants me to sniff his butt.

It makes no sense. What do I do about that?

Don't just look at it. Sniff it!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Must feel lovely to pay $700 for a litter box that can't connect to to wifi when you can get another one that doesn't connect to wifi for 1% of the price.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

what's the general idea with clicker training? can I use it to stop kitten from running up to us and biting, or getting on the kitchen counter when we are cooking?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Bell_ posted:

IIRC, it's paired with treats and exclusively for positive reinforcement, because you want them to associate the noise with them doing something right.

I see, thanks. I can't think of anything I really want him to do, just stuff I wish he didn't.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cash crab posted:

i finally trained tandy to stop suckling on my ear/puffing his whiskers out and dragging them across my face in the middle of the night. he learned that doing this means he is ejected from the bed, so now we just spoon. my only training tool is "i am moving you now" which is working super well for 99% of issues.

I wish my cat would respond to this. As of this evening he is climbing on the stove while I am cooking, which is very dangerous to him and unhygienic for us. I pick him up and put him down and that just becomes a game for him. I've counted up to 10 times before I stopped counting.

All the stuff online, and people like Jason Galaxy and TikTok animal behaviorist lady is like "you should never do anything except disengage and go to another room," but I cannot do that in such a situation. The only thing that kind of works sometimes is the spray bottle, but apparently this traumatizes them for life and makes them live in fear of you and you are a horrible person if you do this, so I feel very bad when I use it.

Misbehaving kitty:

Also he is biting our faces in the morning now, like on the upper cheek below the eye. Fucker! He is 8 months old now -- is this of any significance?

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 10, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

taiyoko posted:

Hmmm... Have you maybe tried something elevated nearby that's okay for him to sit on? Maybe he's just trying to be Involved In The Thing You Are Doing and being able to see from nearby would satisfy him? We've got a bar-height chair that our cat will hang out in if we're baking or whatever in the kitchen. Similar to people who have a cat spot next to the computer to keep kitty from wanting to sit on the keyboard.

He already has a perch on the counter behind me, which is maybe 1.5 foot higher. He also just gets on the counter when I'm un-canning his food or washing his bowl and starts trying to eat it there :/

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I'm moving to a smaller apartment with only one bathroom so I think we are going to have to put the litterbox in part of the living room :w00t: I am now giving actual thought to the litter robot. Worth it?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

VelociBacon posted:

What's your monthly income etc, hard to say if something is worth it for someone else. I have one and would buy another immediately if it broke. If it was in my living room I would get a divider kinda thing or some bigger cat safe plants so it's not something your eye goes to as you enter the room.
I make less than the median income in my area. one of the factors in my mind though is that the base price is at least 80% of the amount we would probably pay every month for a place with a second bathroom.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

VelociBacon posted:

This person is probably not entertaining distinguished guests in that living room.
Maybe true, but still unkind for you to say about your mom

Coolness Averted posted:

You never know, it is an election year after all

lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Anyone tried this?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Thank you all. For now I have gone with a hooded litterbox inside this rattan enclosure for about $70 (kind of pricey but it's the only one I liked. brand name honiokaka):

It's pretty neat, and there's space on top to hold accessories. It keeps the litter from getting out due to kicking, and it has a little bit of "runway" from where the box is at the back to the front door, which helps get the wood pellet litter off his paws.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

VelociBacon posted:

At the end of the day you have an obligate carnivore making GBS threads and pissing in your home.

It is ridiculous!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Do you have a link for this? My enclosure is really old at this point, we could use a new one and I like how it doesn’t seem to have a bottom.
It is from: https://www.amazon.com/Enclosure-Washroom-Furniture-Handwoven-Bedroom/dp/B0BGRFGG29
Which I found from this article: https://www.thesprucepets.com/best-litter-box-furniture-5181405#toc-best-rattan-honiakaka-cat-litter-box-enclosure-with-soft-litter-mat

e: it does have a bottom. In fact, it's slightly raised and there is a soft hexagonal grille, which is washable. It comes with a rubber mat that goes underneath to catch the litter from the grille. I assume this is so the interior doesn't get too gross.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 9, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Anyone here try a greenie? Are they good?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Have you eaten one?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

What's everyone's favorite low tracking litter?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

VelociBacon posted:

I legitimately think that unless you get the extruded walnut stuff it's going to track around no matter what. Even when I had the extruded walnut litter Quill would pull it out of the box and kick it around for fun.

Thanks. Are there any brands I might look for?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I got some tofu litter and the cat threw up 4 times the next day, so I am going back to wood. It could just be a coincidence but I think there's a good chance it's the litter. Has anyone experienced this?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, I don't have a fountain because they always break really quickly on me, but I change the water and swap the bowl for a clean one daily. We do have 4 cats drinking out of ours so it gets gross a bit sooner than with one cat, but those little fuckers like to dip their litter-caked paws in there so I'd still do it even with 1 cat.

AquaPurr is the way to go
https://aquapurr.com

I don't have room in my new apartment and it sucks. We didn't put it in our bathroom sink cause the idea is a little gross but now he drinks from my hands whenever I'm washing there so maybe we should just accept our fate. It's so gross having a cat but wygd.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Takes No Damage posted:

But you are now its human.

My sister handed me down a BigDog water fountain:

The tank on the back lasts my 4 cats for weeks and if it ever stops working the bowl up front remains accessible. Probably overkill for most people but it's working well in my case.

How hygienic is it to recirculate 4 weeks of water?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

xzzy posted:

If it's fully treated from a municipal source it's probably not a big deal. It'll get stale tasting due to absorbing compounds from the atmosphere but there's nearly zero nutrients in it so bacteria will have a tough time growing. It will start eventually though, either because of debris ending up in the water or bacteria coming from the cat itself.

I personally wouldn't let the water sit for 4 weeks. But 1-2 is a non-issue.

The water filter itself will eventually get gunked up enough to need a proper cleaning to avoid jump starting pathogen growth.

Wouldn't the plastic accumulate a biofilm?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

xzzy posted:

Yeah, that's why you gotta clean it regularly. Or don't use plastic. Everything builds up scum eventually but plastic seems to be the worst about it, and is the hardest to clean once it does get gross.

But if you start out with everything insanely clean tap water will be fine for a lot longer than one might think.

4 weeks seems a little pointless then ... anyway whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Some months ago I was looking for a feline hydration solution that would be easy to take care of. I was rather traumatized by a former housemate who did not take care of their cat fountain so it was gross and slimy all the time, so for my first cat I really wanted to look for something that wouldn't be prone to that.

At the time I bought and recommended in this thread the AquaPurr, which is a motion activated attachment to a sink. It's great, cat loved it and I could hear him using it all the time. No consumables needing replacement, either.

However, I moved to a place with just one bathroom bathroom with a a small sink so I couldn't use it anymore. We gave him water in dishes, but he was not drinking very much at all, so I decided to get him a fountain, even though I found them gross.

I did a lot of research and found a model that works without a pump, the PetSafe Outlast. It works with a motor rotating in a dry chamber whose centrifugal force results in the water flowing upward. The rest of the thing you can put in the dishwasher. We have had it for two weeks and the cat and I are pretty happy with it. I can't imagine anything easier to keep clean. You do need to buy filters but I think you could cut generic filters to shape.