Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well, just make sure to temper your expectations. Some cats just don't get along with other cats unless they literally grew up with them. But it's always easier to introduce a kitten to a grown cat than two grown cats, so you're doing the right thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's probably fine. Female cats take longer to recover from that than male cats, since it's such an invasive surgery. Give it a few more days and if she doesn't seem to be getting any better, then a vet visit is probably a good idea. If she seems to be getting worse call the vet right away, though.

That said if you're really worried, it's not going to hurt to get her in for a check up.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This is ringworm, right?

Bug is a cute little fucker when he's not contracting gross fungal infections.

Ratzap posted:

Sleepy senior...

She was beautiful. She looks just like my tortie, Quinn. Sorry for your loss :(

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Maybe. It is a little crusty, but I didn't see any black specks. He's going into the vet tomorrow for some shots, so we'll find out then.

He is currently smol, but he's also only like 2 months old, so who knows how big he will get. We did have another cat that turned out petite when full grown, about half the size of his cat housemates (RIP, Robin).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Marchegiana posted:

That's almost certainly ringworm. Can't be ear mites, they hang out inside the ear and this is outside.

Well, they're doing testing now. In the meantime we have a cream for it, we're keeping him separate from the other cats, and we're going to clean everything.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Blue Scream posted:

2. What about water during the day? The first leg of the journey is 6.5-7 hours. The second leg, to Philly, could take as much as 10 hours depending on DC traffic. I don't like the idea of him having no access to water, but he'll also throw up everything he consumes, and I'm not sure he'll use the carrier's litter box (which I am leaving out for him to get used to).

Whenever you stop to go to the bathroom/eat, you can give him a little dish of water in the carrier. That said, he'll likely not drink it due to stress. Our cats didn't appear to eat or drink the whole trip when we did a ~9 hour drive and they were ok.

I'm not quite sure how it will go with your cat getting carsick though. Maybe you should consider making it a 3 day trip and cut one of the days in half, and stay the night at a hotel that allows pets? Might be a good idea if you're worried about him being stressed for that long during the day.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 13, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Just keep in mind there's no guarantee your cats will be new best friends. From what I've seen, the way most cats relate to other cats never really changes throughout their life. You'll get the best results with one of them being a kitten though, as the adult cat won't be threatened by it and the kitten will seek out attention/play/affection from the adult.

But yeah, hissing is normal. Just watch to make sure it doesn't go past that. It's gonna take more than a weekend for them to get past that stage. I'd say if your adult cat doesn't get actually violent they'll probably be fine.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 14, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've only ever had one cat that reacted to its name, I think you're in the clear.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

They might never get along. Adult cats tend to be very set in their ways regarding their feelings about other cats, and if you're going to introduce a new cat to another adult cat, it should either be a kitten or a cat that's more easygoing and not territorial - and even then, your old cat might just TOLERATE the new one.

You should probably take a step back and take the integration a lot slower. Set up a situation where they can see each other but not interact.

dxt posted:

About a month and a half ago I got a 2nd cat as I am away at work all day and often go out in the evening and wanted Don to not be bored/lonely.

Honestly as long as you give him attention and play with him when you're there, he's probably fine as an only cat. I'll bet he just sleeps most of the day. The 2nd cat might just end up taking your attention time away from him.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Fighting is normal, particularly at first as they're establishing territory and roles. As long as there isn't blood, leave them alone and let them fight. It's part of cats being cats.

Once they get it out of their systems they'll start getting along better (as in only hissing and swatting at each other).

Not always the case. One of my cats had such extreme problems with two previous cats (roommates' cats) that they had to be separated at all times, or else he would start marking EVERYTHING in the house. It never, ever got any better despite our efforts to introduce them correctly, and their fights got worse as time went on.

But if it's a cat he's known since it was a kitten, or a non-territorial cat, he's fine.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Just keep in mind the cheaper ones will fall apart pretty quick. My cats love RUNNING up the tree to the top, which eventually caused the top platform to fall off, as it's literally just a cardboard post attached to particle board. I ended up making my own replacement top platform out of several planks of wood and carpet offcuts.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

We need to keep reminding people that the advice about "get two cats so they won't be bored" just applies to kittens. Some adult cats will never get along with a new cat and they relate to them completely differently than humans and other animals.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bollock Monkey posted:

Thanks for the advice about names and stuff here's my cat tax:

This li'l lady was brought to the RSPCA after her owner, who is 94 and has dementia, was found eating the cat food. She had been called Baby, which is a stupid name, so we have renamed her Wednesday because giving a goth name to a white cat is funny, and we picked her up on a Wednesday. She's 4ish and has some manx in her, hence the stubby tail!

She's been very brave and warmed to me and my husband really quickly. She's acted almost like a toddler, coming to us for fuss and boops before exploring another section of the spare room. She even briefly checked out the hallway! I am hopeful she will settle in with us pretty quickly.

Wanna pet that cat.

mehall posted:

We are (supervised) letting the kitten loose in the house whilst the older cat is also about.

Eartha (4yo) is keeping strong distance and sticking in place, growling when Mochi (kitten) approaches, even from 5-6ft away, and hisses if shes within a couple feet.
On the very limited occasion mochi's got within "arm's reach", eartha has raised a paw to her, but not actually struck, and mochi is largely standing ground, reeling back a little but not actively falling away.

Eartha has a couple of times ended up backing up from those points, to our concern she backed up right into a bookcase in the corner meaning she wouldn't really have anywhere to go without moving toward mochi.

We've got feliway on the go etc etc, we think Eartha is maybe just being territorial about the space, but she could do real damage to mochi if provoked, and mochi has next to no fear, the second she turns away from Eartha and comes to either of us, she'll be purring away again.

Thoughts? Is everything alright and Eartha just needs more time t get used to it, or are we doing something wrong.

Honestly it all sounds completely normal. I wouldn't recommend leaving them alone unsupervised for a while yet, but that hissing will inevitably subside as your older cat gets used to the kitten. This is actually good for the kitten too, they learn boundaries and how to relate to other cats.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bollock Monkey posted:

She seems to feel so much braver when we're around - she'll sit in the same spot for ages until she has human company, at which point she will start sniffing around and trying out different vantage points. Is that something other people have experienced?

Yeah I've seen similar before. You've got yourself a cat that really needs people - this means she'll probably be REALLY affectionate and sweet, but she probably will also have separation anxiety. It's probably strange for her to not have a person around.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One of my cats loves playing with dental floss and has definitely eaten it before. I think the risk is low but call your vet if you're anxious about it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pellisworth posted:

I have a question about cat posture/behavior. Wozo willingly accepts petting when she's in cat loaf or curled up into a ball, but when she flops on her side that seems more like playtime mode. If I my hands or feet go near here when she's on her side flopping around, she will bat at them (not with claws though). If I try to pet her like that she squirms and bats at me and I'm pretty sure that's communicating "no touch, want to play." She also does that when I'm trying to pick her up and she doesn't want to be, I go to scoop her up and she'll immediately flop roll on her side and use her paws to defend.

You are correct, that is cat posture and behavior.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

There's nothing about a side flop that's universal cat language for "play", it just seems like that's your cat being a weird little snowflake like all cats.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I wouldn't take two cats that aren't getting along to the vet at the same time. It's already a stressful situation and you're multiplying it by putting them together in it.

Yeah always use unscented cat litter, scented cat litter universally smells awful. As for the apartment smell.. It's tough. Two cats in a space that small, I don't know how you're going to mask the smell. Maybe get/make one of those boxes that hides the litterbox but the cats can access through a door?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah scented litter smells loving awful on its own, and it's never covered the smell of ammonia or poop for me. Make sure you also vaccuum/mop regularly around the litterboxes and in areas the cats go often, you'd be surprised how it can build even in areas where the litterboxes aren't - our bedroom started to smell like cat rear end until I cleaned under the bed, and there wasn't a litterbox in there.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Easy solution for cat hair on the couch: Cover it with a bedsheet. Wash and change the bedsheet every few days. Viola, no need to constantly vacuum the couch and no hair buildup.

seiferguy posted:

It's a bit bigger than mine and there is an extra room that could hypothetically house a cat tree. I already keep the cats out of the bedroom at night at my place.

She usually takes allergy meds (the 24 hour allergy pills from Costco) when she comes over but she rarely sits on my couch unless I've cleaned it recently. I've kind of looked into allergy shots but obviously wouldn't want to pressure that on her. I dont think that solves the issue of her not being comfortable with cats though...

You say severe cat allergies, but what are the symptoms exactly? Is it just sinus issues, or does she get hives? Do her eyes itch? Does she get a headache?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

If you want your cats to be very happy, find the highest spot in your house and give them a way to get there. That place will be cat heaven.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Protocol7 posted:

My house has a vaulted ceiling in the main living area so the walls around the kitchen are completely accessible if a cat jumps up on the fridge.

I think my cats figured that out within a month of moving here.

It’s not uncommon to come around a corner and see this:

High nooks like that are cat Nirvana. Your cats have ascended.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Every time we take our kitten to the vet they're utterly charmed by him, he has no fear and spends the whole time suckling on his Cookie Monster plushie:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=439727366652277

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

computer angel posted:

My cat's hisser is so sensitive. She's docile for activities like ear cleaning and nail clipping, but the second she's comfortable on my lap and I move my foot she does a hiss. In my whole life of cat ownership, I've only ever heard my cats hiss at other cats. Is this the "tortitude" I hear so much about?

Diagnosis:

cat

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I did a drive that ended up being 9-10 hours with 2 cats. They didn't like it, but they quieted down after about the first hour and didn't make a mess. Your cat can handle being uncomfortable for 6 hours, it won't traumatize them and they're not going to piss or poop everywhere.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 17, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well this answers the question of how our kitten is getting along with one of our older cats: https://imgur.com/a/bMZ03fQ

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Why is wet food not an option? That was the only solution for our older cat. He started losing huge amounts of weight before we realized he just couldn't chew the food, and right after we switched to wet food his weight jumped back up.

If it's a matter of the food you use not being available in wet food form, you could try blending it with some water to make it into wet food.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well, you have an older cat now and she requires more care than a younger cat.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think at the very least you should call your vet with your concerns and ask for advice, and set up an appointment ASAP. I don't know if it calls for an emergency visit, I'm not really sure what they'd be able to do - but that's something to ask your vet.

Please don't change her medication dosage without consulting a vet. That is really dangerous and could kill her.

And yeah, as someone said, a blind cat can still be a happy, functioning cat. But this might indicate OTHER issues, so I would get into your normal vet as soon as you can.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, they're too big to swallow and skitter well on the ground. They're perfectly safe.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bollock Monkey posted:

That really surprises me!

You're not thinking of metal bottle caps, are you? We're talking about, like, plastic soda caps. I don't know what they're like elsewhere, but in the USA they're pretty big.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What's really fun is when you find their toys or random objects deposited in their food or water bowls.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Their shape makes them perfect toys - they skitter well when batted around, and they're really easy to bite to pick up and carry around. My cats love them.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I had a cat do that, and she's ok, luckily. Keep watching closely for changes like you have been, and if nothing goes wrong, it probably just passed through. Don't leave that stuff out again, obviously.

Just watch for any subtle changes in behavior and look for blood in the poop. If your cat has no energy when they normally would or is not receptive/hostile to attention outside of their normal personality, it's vet time, possibly emergency.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cats just often have a different personality when they're kittens compared to when they become adults. That's why I always encourage people to consider adopting adult cats - not only are you giving a life to a cat that has less chance of being adopted, but you'll probably already know what their personality is instead of rolling the dice.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yes, your cat is weird. Just like every other cat.

One of mine tries to eat plastic packaging and packing material.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yikes, I would not leave them alone with them, much less give them plastic bags ON PURPOSE. I guarantee you they will try and eat them. I've absolutely found plastic and floss in my cats' poop.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Your kitten will eventually just get used to your sleep schedule and sleep when you do. It's not gonna happen right away, but given enough times where it tries to get you to play and you don't get up, it will get the picture. You may have to kick it out of your room and ignore its pitiful meowing on occasion. I'd also recommend some self-play toys, like those balls on tracks and things it can easily bat around the room.

Gaj posted:

Current kitten does take a roughly 6 hour nap from 12-6/7pm every day. Im asking what way would be best to shift that time frame over so she decides to zonk out later in the day. Either that or we just both take naps in the afternoon, shes a good lap warmer.

It's going to need both that 6 hour nap AND the same time you sleep. Cats sleep a lot more than we do.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You can also get one of those $10 bags full of cat toys from Amazon, they'll love them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXE4RGR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But this thing is great for single cats: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DT2WL26/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this for good measure : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J7KN23U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FelicityGS posted:

I contend this is a ten times better toy with two cats who both try to bat a ball at the same time and slam into each other.

Oh I'm sure, but our kitten loves it even though I've never seen our other two cats show any interest in it.