Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Butt in face is the grossest part of cats. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If I do get an apartment that allows pets, I may only be able to have one cat. Is this too much of a problem?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gender illusionist posted:

Hello here is my little cat Hettie sitting in one of her favorite places

What is up with her eyes? Those second eyelid things are pretty much always showing. She's a 10 month old rescue and vet man says it's something to do with being underweight so we're giving her plenty of extra food, but could it be something else?
She's got no problems eating and her eyes aren't gunky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nictitating_membrane

Us humans have it as well to a much lesser degree, since it's become vestigial in us. It's normal. My dog usually shows them when he's just waking up; think of it like your eyes being half-open.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm considering adopting a pet a few months down the road, once I've secured employment and know that I'm not going to be moving anytime soon, so I've been looking around on PetFinder for ideas. Thing is, I'd prefer an "older" pet - around 3-5 years old. I put older in quotes since for PetFinder, the only way to search by age is "baby", "young", "adult", and "senior", and that's incredibly vague - so sometimes 4 years old is a senior, 2 years old is young, etc. Is there a better way to search for that or should I just do it by hand?

I worry about my pet soiling carpets and causing damage and such, what are some ways to avoid this for cats?

PetFinder posted:

Eclipse has been adopted out a couple of times but, because of litterbox issues, has been returned. We tried every kind of litter imaginable with no luck until one day we left out a litterbox with nothing in it - guess what, he used it - Eclipse just doesn't like litter of any kind - silly boy.

:pwn: Isn't that basically like making GBS threads in a bucket?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've decided to get a cat. I've become too lazy and depressed, all I do sit around and I have no responsibilities to keep me disciplined. I need something to actually give me a reason to get up in the morning and take care of things. That, and I just want one. Plus, since I've finally decided I'll be sticking around for at least a couple years to finish an MS, I won't be in danger of having to move and giving up my pet, which is incredibly unfair to the animal.

Thing is, I'm kind of allergic to cats. :downs: Is there a chance that I'll become used to the dander, or would repeated exposure just make it worse?

I'm thinking my ideal pet would be older, around 3 or 4 years of age. I wouldn't want them to be overly rowdy, and they can't be loud or destructive. I'm used to letting them roam relatively freely, as well. Cats tend to fulfill these, plus they're cute.

I might be spoiled by the family dog off at my parents home, though, who is practically an angel - he doesn't make any noise, mostly just sleeps all day, doesn't destroy anything, is incredibly patient and hasn't been a burden for our family in any way. Those are the things I find most important in a pet.

Does this sound fair? I know that preparation for getting a cat basically involves getting food, bedding, toiletry, health care, and education for the owner. I also kind of want a companion, cause it's too lonely being a NEET and not having Blake around anymore. I'm a good pet owner, I promise :shobon:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I won't rely on the cat for that, rather giving me a push to do so would help immensely. I'll consider getting two or a solitary cat, depending on the apartment rules.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's the general consensus on finding a match? Is Petfinder enough, or should I look elsewhere?

I only just started, so the first result I ended on was: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24616587 I liked this one cause she seems to do well without other cats and is fine around humans even though she's rather young, but I still don't know enough to make any sort of judgment and am way far away from "ok let's go with this one". How is her temperament, does she have problems with litter/make messes, can I trust the "does not like other cats" blurb on the site, etc. There's questions to be had and I'm 100% sure I'm missing a lot of important ones.

I'm still in the consideration stage, but I'm getting more and more confident about the possibility. I've never adopted a pet myself before, so I am clueless on how to get this going. I just wanna make sure I don't gently caress up :saddowns:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I know I'm overthinking this, but I always end up with a new worry or question every five seconds. Like for example, I live in an apartment and how do I make sure the pet doesn't just bolt out the front door whenever I open it? I need to get landlord permission too, don't I? I And what if they get sick? Do I take them to any local vet? Or are there good ones and bad ones? Random things like that.

I'm sure it's way less complicated than I'm making it. I suppose I'll figure it out as I go.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mcmagic posted:

Motor does this a lot. I just grab him and put him back in (sometimes I let him wander around the hallway until he gets board and goes back inside). Not really that big of a deal. If you really don't want your cat in the hallway you might want to get one of those scat cat mats though...

I just don't want him or her to be impossible to catch if they ever DO decide to step foot outside. I doubt the landlords will be happy if a cat starts running around the hall :v:

I figure they'll get bored of it pretty quickly since I think cats hate like...everything.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

-When one kitten showed interest in the outside, I got her a collar. When she is in the living room, always a collar. But yeah, go with a mat or another deterrent.

-Some apartments have pet limits, some have weight limits, some charge monthly rent per pet, some don't care. All in all it should be laid out in the rental agreement you initially signed.

-Look up vets like you would look up anything else. My vet I got through word of mouth recommendation from a coworker. I have since moved, but I still go there.

-You might be making it more complicated, but at least you're asking questions. Better to ask a lot of questions than not care.

Collar will happen. I have a list of stuff to buy (2x litter box, litter filling, some canned BBuffalo, a bed, a collar/nametag, and metal water/food bowls), all available at Petsmart (or whatever it's called now) so might as well. The only thing I'm really missing is the complex policy for pets, I swore I had a paper on it somewhere...

There's a meet and greet later today at said Petsmart. I might just stop by today to see who's around...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh poo poo, that's something I forgot to think about. Introducing the cat(s) to the household is also something I'm worrying about; I'm the only one here and it's relatively small, just a one bedroom apartment (bathroom, closet, etc.) - do I confine the cat to my bedroom or to my bathroom when they come home or something? Having them stuck in the bathroom for a week sounds loving miserable to me, I dunno, but it might be for the best just so they get used to the place with the minimum amount of terror and scratched walls.

Oh yeah speaking of, making things not get chewed on/scratched up would own, too. I don't exactly have expensive wooden furniture - I don't have a lot of furniture at all really - but I do worry about the cat sticking its fingers into a power strip or chomping on the power cable, o gently caress

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

kaworu posted:

Is your 1-bedroom apartment really just a bedroom and a bathroom? I mean isn't there's some sort of kitchen and/or living room? I'm not at all trying to be insulting because I know that some 1-br apartments really are like practically unfurnished hotel rooms when you move into them. This is especially true of big cities; I've definitely lived in a teensy apartment like that for a little while. Or maybe it is bigger than that?

Anyway, my point is that if your apartment is that small don't even worry about locking off any portion of it when kitty first moves in. If it's only really one room (plus the bathroom and closet) it's not gonna overwhelm a kitty and you should just let them have the run of the place right away, I'd say. But that's just my own measly opinion.

Well, by 1bed I mean one bedroom, one bathroom and a living/kitchen area, so two main rooms. I suppose that doesn't' sound too daunting, no.

And yeah, I just don't want an electrified kitty :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I would be more concerned about too many hiding spots. I live in a 1bed/1br apartment but there are many nooks in the living room and bedroom that I did the one week in the bathroom thing so that the go-to comfy zone for the kittens would be the bathroom. Get them used to the scents of the place while getting used to their own little area. It does seem like it'd suck but I spent a lot of time with them in the bathroom reading, listening to music, or playing and bonding. Then again, I had 2 kittens. YMMV

I can think of two hiding spots in the bedroom/living room, under the bed and under the couch. That's about it :downs:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh great, fishing my cat from behind the fridge sounds loving fun. Thankfully I don't think there are seams and I have an IKEA mattress so there's not much space at all anyway :downs:

So I hung out with Holly, Holiday, and Brady (who does in fact love putting his paws through the cage) yesterday, and it was pretty cool. Although, they were in a rather small environment, so I'm not 100% sure what they're like normally.

Holly was nice and personable, very much up to being affectionate with you. She liked being petted, but apparently not near her stomach - I got scratched by her when I rubbed a bit too close to it and it drew a little blood. :( But, I guess that's par for the course for cats. Either way, I'm leaning towards her right now - she's the most likely to get on well with a companion, and she doesn't seem to be disruptive or likely to mess poo poo up at all. Plus, she's adorable :3:

Holiday was very explorative and curious, and kind of oblivious to humans. She spent most of her time checking out the room and kind of ignoring me, but she didn't react negatively to being picked up by the volunteer. Very aloof, but that was just during the short time I met her. She's definitely younger(-seeming) than Holly, but I have a feeling they wouldn't get on well with each other. Not sure what to think about her, really.

Brady was larger and a little mischievous. He jumped up on the table and messed with the bowls, used the scratching board, tried to get out, hosed with Holiday a bit, etc. I tried to pet him once or twice but he did the cat thing where they, like...where's that comic where the guy tries to pet the cat but it turns into this jello-like thing that's almost magnetically repulsed by his hand? That. That's basically what happened, with a little teeth added in.

Otherwise, he was pretty cool, neither he nor the other two girls were freaked out over humans being near them. There were these two younger kittens (I'd say around 8 months old) who both freaked out over people being near them, even though they were behind glass and in their cage. I didn't end up meeting them, so who knows what they're generally like, but the ones I met didn't mind humans at all (or just didn't care).

There was also this guy and holy christ was he huge.

So yeah, adoption is looking likely. After another meet and greet in a few days, I think I'll take another week or two to think it over, make sure that it's a step I'm gonna take, then I'll contact Broken Tail over my next step. Hope it goes well...

Also, I was just at Whole Foods, and I found that they have canned food there. I checked the ingredients and according to the analysis, it's something like 5%-6% carb contents (ignoring the Chicken and Rice flavor, for obvious reasons) and I think it listed meat, meat by-product, something else, then rice flour, in that order. I can't find the ingredient list online (unfortunately), so maybe I'll buy a can and type it up. It seems relatively okay, but has anyone tried it or checked it out? Otherwise, I'll prolly just stick to Blue Buffalo or Solid Gold.

edit: Holly, who I am leaning towards at the moment:

Holiday, who I am also considering:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 17, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

For adoption applications, if I'm still deciding what cat I'm going with do I just put "undecided" for the name field? There's two cats that I met once, and they were pretty cool - but there's another that is farther away and I'm interested in him, but I haven't had the chance to meet him. Should I apply anyway and meet him afterwards?

I'm interested in adopting sometime soon, probably once the weather stops being so fuckoff cold. It's hard choosing who to go with, though. :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So it seems I am in fact getting a cat! Holly(-wood) might be coming home sometime tomorrow, I've met her before and she's pretty cool. She doesn't like other cats, so she's great for me (who is only interested in one cat). Plus, she's affectionate and not all rowdy or destructive, so I'm glad to have her around. She did scratch me once, but that was my fault (pet too close to the stomach).

Now is the time where doubt sets in :ohdear: I can take care of a frickin' cat, but that doesn't stop me from worrying my rear end off. I've never had a cat before so I don't have the confidence or background like I would with a dog, plus I've got anxiety issues out the wazoo. I guess I shouldn't worry until I actually encounter any problems, though.

Is there a particular kind of litter box I should get? There's a small alcove in the bathroom closet, about 22"x15", and I was thinking of putting a box there. I'd rather the boxes be on tile so that any messes would be easier to clean. I was looking at the Petsmart selection of boxes, and it looks like this could work well for the bathroom. The alcove is horizontal-ish in terms of pan, so the kinds that open up at the narrow end won't work well for that area. Other than that, I'm not sure where to put the boxes. And I need liner, right?

Are heated beds bad?

Is that mesh liner thing a worthwhile alternative to scoops?

How is World's Best clumping litter?

Maybe I could buy some of those plastic shelves and make an elevated bed...

How would this plus a blanket work for sleeping?

God, if only I was born already good at everything.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maybe a thick blanket would work better, they're portable and easily thrown.

e: thankee :3:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The cat is home!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJlobPtlxyQ

Thanks everybody for your help. Holly is adjusting well to the apartment and I think she's starting to figure out where the place to sleep is. :3: Longhair tortoiseshell, if anyone was wondering (the video is grainy as poo poo). Still stuffy/sneezy from the benadryl, but if she can adjust, so can I!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U0-t__2e0g

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 28, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kitty loving reeks. I cannot change the litter box without feeling like I burned a few layers off of my lungs. Are there things I can do to make the poo poo stink less or is it just the adjustment period? Litterbox air freshener, maybe?

PrettyhateM posted:

Basically we just want to make sure we are making a bad decision.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I was told Holly doesn't do well with other cats, but I never saw it in action. I just don't want her to be depressed and lonely, but I dunno what to do about it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't think she's unhappy, but I worry about it nonetheless. I worry about her a lot actually :ohdear:

That said, she has a bit of an issue with biting. She sat down on the bed to clean herself and there was a drop of "water" where her butt was, so I poked at it with my big toe to point it out to her/shame her. Then she bit my foot :( Not like, bit bit but like play(?)fight bit. She gets bitey/clawy occasionally (I put out my hand in front of her face as a peace offering and she did the same :goleft:). Is this unusual for cats or is she just in a bitey mood?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have no idea what Holly thins of me besides "food machine". She either tolerates my existence, doesn't care, begs for food, or bites/scratches me after leading me over with meows and purrs. But every time she proves herself to be an rear end in a top hat she later does something cute like chase a laser dot or let me scratch her chin and I'm like "MAYBE you are cool, cat. Maybe."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are torties known for being kinda bitey? Sometimes I tease Holly by poking her stomach a little, and she always freaks the gently caress out, latches onto my arm and bites my hand. Not super hard, mind you, and her ears aren't usually pulled all the way back. Is this considered play, or is she legit angry? I'd think if she was angry she'd try and get away and not bite my fist then lick it a little for some weird reason. Am I actually just pissing her off?

Also I tried doing the cat burrito trick and yeah no. It was a storm of claws and teeth. How the hell am I gonna clip your furry rear end now cat :mad:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have at least twenty new scratches now.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If the cat meows a shitload when you close the door to your room, are there any lasting consequences if you never open it up?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Nah. Actually you should try not to open it up because you don't want to associate meow at door=door is opened.

Alright.

I'm thinking that Holly and I aren't a good fit. She seems to actively dislike interacting with humans, and has bitten/scratched me a few too many times than I care for. She just seems to be unhappy with the living situation and I've had too many problems with her for me to be all that happy either. Plus, I definitely have allergic reactions to the scratches and bites - I'm all itchy and hive-y now. The last time she bit me, she drew blood.

I dunno, I don't want to blame the cat. Holly didn't do anything wrong, and she's not a Bad Cat. I saw her just a second ago, for the first time, playing with a toy and seeming like she's enjoying herself - but when she got close and I stroked her a little, she scratched and bit again. We just aren't a good fit and I don't know if I'm up for much longer of this.

I may have to surrender her back to Broken Tail, and if I decide that I'm still interested in adoption, I'm going to stand my ground when trying to work with them, and let them know what I need. Last time, they seemed too pushy to get rid of Holly - which suggests that they knew of her issues and kinda makes me wary of the place to be honest. That, and they adopt out of a Petsmart, which skeeves me a little.

I'll try again, I will, but this time I need my space for a bit so I can sit back and think about my next move.

Here's the email I'm sending to the rescue:

quote:

After being with Holly for a week or two, I've decided that we aren't a very good fit. She has had some behavioral problems and unease with her living situation, primarily in respect to human socialization and satisfaction with her environment. She does not seek out human affection and expresses distaste at receiving it. She seems to be very unhappy interacting with humans, as she has lashed out and bitten/scratched me many times when I pet or brush her, occasionally to the point of drawing blood. Visitors also agitate her and I am worried about Holly scratching or injuring them on my watch. She is also at times restless and regardless of how much I attempt to play with her. I cannot distract her from scratching the walls and doorposts, nor can I keep her attention long enough to tire her out. She is not interested in eating any food I give her, regardless of wet, dry, or human food. However, she continually seeks attention and draws me to her food bowl, but rejects that attention whenever I try to remedy whatever I feel she needs.

I may simply be an inexperienced cat owner, and I do not want to blame the cat - Holly isn't a bad cat - but I just don't think that this will work out. She seems to agree with me, since we haven't gotten along very well at all. I am interested in surrendering her back to Broken Tail, as I believe she has a better chance at an appropriate living situation and owner than she would if she would stay with me.

I am still interested in adoption, but likely not at this time. I am still up to working with Broken Tail for a future cat, or possibly two, but I would like more time and exposure to whoever I meet in order to really understand them and get a feel for whether they will be a good fit for my household. I'd like to work with a volunteer one-on-one to see if the cat can adjust to the food I give it, its temperament around other people, general personality, etc., for any further adoptions.

Please let me know how to get the surrender process going,

Pollyanna

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 10, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I know, I was just a little skeptical about how the cats were housed. I don't like the cubicle idea, but it may be more out of necessity than anything...

It's more than "pets are for my enjoyment" in my opinion, I think both the owner and the pet need to enjoy each other's company. Holly does not enjoy my company, which is one thing, but she rejects my affection in a somewhat...what's the word, "sharp" kind of way, which makes it hard for me to enjoy her company. Doubly so when I know that my company pisses her off. The cat really needs to at least return my affections (or at least tolerate them) so that I can enjoy its company. It's a fit for both of us, you see. We both have needs, and unfortunately, I don't fulfill Holly's, so she can't fulfill mine. No fault of her own, but it isn't working out all the same.

This sounds kinda crazy, but there is a bit of reciprocation going on here. Like, with the family dog, he's not super cuddly or anything - but he definitely appreciates us and likes to hang out with us. He checks in on where we are, he sleeps in my bed from time to time, he comes when called, he comes back if he gets out...like, he obviously likes us, or he wouldn't bother with this stuff. I know a dog isn't a cat, loving duh, but I consider that sort of thing integral to an owner-pet relationship.

edit the deed is done, good luck holly

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 10, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is this what you guys mean by "let the cat choose you"? He was kinda scared of all the people around but rubbed up against the cage when I came by and stuck my fingers through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIz4cUXNMmU

He comes home tomorrow :3:

Also, his front feet are shaped somewhat oddly. Is that what polydactyl is?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 20, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Trillian posted:

Hey, you just posted yesterday that you adopted and returned a cat two weeks ago and you didn't think you could handle pet ownership. It's stressful for cats to be relocated. Please give some thought as to whether you're keeping this cat.

For one, I learned a lot from my fuckup. Last time I had not given enough thought and attention to a cat that would fit the household, allowed myself to get caught up in the previous rescue's hurried and rushed adoption process, was new to the concept of cat ownership, and just did not work well enough with the cat for it to be worth it. What I did was what was best for both of us. This time I specifically worked against the factors that screwed me up last time, this time I refuse to gently caress up.

Second, I get panicky and anxious when told to take care of things. I manage to take care of things just fine when it actually comes time to own up. Not everything I post on the internet reflects my actual, rational, mature feelings.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah the boyfriend sounds like a dumbass. There's a huge difference between "here, have a bit of catnip" "OOOOOOOOOOO" and hotboxing a dog.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jet has eaten the tuna. :woop:

A little bit, anyway. He drank a little tuna juice and ate a couple chunks, so he doesn't seem to be dying at least. He has used the litter box, so I hope that means he's ok. Maybe he's just adjusting, but I don't want to chance it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So the shelter I adopted Jet from neglected to mention that he has a heart murmur. What is the quality of life for a cat with a "level 3" murmur? Anyone have experience with this?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It would be one thing if he was otherwise alright, and he generally is, but his lack of interest in food coupled with the heart murmur worries me. And yeah, he is still not eating.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Unknown from this one video. We need more for an informed opinion.

In fact, not taping your cat enough can result in them exploding. Please share more videos to prevent this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jet isn't food motivated at all. In fact, I will put a piece of meat right in front of his nose, he will sniff it a little, and then thoroughly ignore it. And yet he whines like a little bitch if his bowl is even slightly empty :mad:

Speaking of Jet, I may have to drive cross-country (north to south) with him in the future. Tips for driving long distances with a cat? Besides Xanax (for the cat, not me).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My cat doesn't cover his poop. Is this indicative of a medical problem, behavioral problem, or is he just a gross dick? He went to the vet recently and they didn't find anything wrong with him.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I hear him scratching in the litterbox a lot but the poop is usually uncovered, and whenever I take the poop out he scratches around in it for like forever. I think he just wants his poop everywhere :mad:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god how do I trim cat claws. Every time I try to expose my cat's nails he pulls his paw away from me and keeping that up makes him run off. I tried Gar's strategy and it was a total failure (he does not like being held and is also sharp). How else am I supposed to get him to stay still and let me clip his claws!?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh god kitty does not like burrito :supaburn:

We played with his balls for like an hour and he is panting like hell and he STILL meows for me to BALL BALL WANNA PLAY BALL. God drat this cat is nuts :gonk:

At least he'll sleep for a long time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

El Gar posted:

1) That's mega weird
2) Please neuter your cat that would probably calm him down way more than, uh, whatever you're doing now.

You don't get it man. He looooooves them balls. HE CAN'T STOP NOW MAN THESE BALLS ARE ON FIRE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Serella posted:

1. This is adorable.
2. Your cat has mitten feet.

Seriously, how many toes does that little panther have?

He's got two extra claws on each front paw, so like 12 in the front. :v: I forgot how many cats usually have, he has six on each paw by my count. His back feet are normal.

And yes, he is my little Bagheera :3: