Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ohh! A landscape thread!.

Picked up film photography this year (Having shot digital some years ago and burned out on it).

From my 'new' medium format camera: (Waiting for my MF filmholder to scan it properly)

And my Intrepid 4x5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I like that!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ansel autisms posted:

vandalism is great

This is nice.

And so is this!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Awesome.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, I kinda preferred the first one, despite the blues. I think the sky is now too bright and makes it hard to focus on the center.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

On that note, I picked up an Epson 4990 for cheap on Ebay. Works well!.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Love the colour palette in this.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Still kicking myself for not pulling the focus closer. At f22, I thought I had enough, but clearly didn't.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That I know I didn't do :). It was very late and very cold, but the camera was set up(reasonably) straight.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hmm. I see your point (and also why I couldn't make sense of the focus in this). Dark cloth shifted the back, maybe? Just seems like it would have to be a fairly extreme movement.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, that'll teach me to pay more attention.

Meanwhile, this is simpler.

(Finally have time to get stuff developed and scanned!)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

alkanphel posted:

But the question is, why is the entire road from foreground to background out of focus? That looks like it would be pretty obvious on the ground glass, even without a loupe.

I promised myself I wouldn't make any excuses, but this was after a 14 hour work day. I walked past the spot on my way home, did a test shot on the phone and decided I needed to shoot it. Went back home, backed up my gear (Camera was already on tripod, film was loaded) and got back there at 1am. It was -10C, which is the coldest I've experienced in many years. I'll admit that I did not check the focus on the road, but instead focused (hah!) on the buildings and cranes.

Re-shooting it is doable, but the snow is long gone (It should still work without it)...however, getting the misty air may be tricky without having it raining too much. There's a bunch of other alleyways that I want to shoot as well.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Actually I'm thinking of going there with some black and white and make sure I got the technical bits dialed.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Anundshög in infrared?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Getting the colour version processed tomorrow, but I like this one.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nice!..but do you also have a colour version?:D

This one only really worked after I cropped it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

did you crank the saturation up quite high on this? the colours look weird, i prefer the B&W

No, I tweaked the level *slightly*, before cropping, but this is how it came through:

I'm actually loving how the red pops out and attacks you.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nice!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's pretty good given the context..but I think next year, a picture like that is meaningless!.
This is not meant as a criticism of your shot, but more how important context of the time period often is!.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Blackhawk posted:

That's cool but I feel like a bit of the right side of the frame could be cropped off, there's a distinct lack of interest there and it doesn't help direct my eye towards the important parts of the scene.

I agree with this.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

jarlywarly posted:

Yeah really hard to get a nice subject and avoid green overwhelm in forest shots.

The alternative is to just go all in on the green :D

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I think this actually works pretty well, something about the fallen trees in the foreground and the two framing trees with so many more behind them pulls me in and provides the depth that's hard with forests. To me, the framing feels a little off on the right side though, but maybe there's no getting around that big root on the very right side of the frame.

Thanks. I've walked past this many times and the old fallen tree has always drawn me in. This was a 'test' shot with my Bronica, the plan is to go back there with the 4x5 which should give me far more depth.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Love the colours and contrast

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Speaking of forests:

Had a couple of near misses I might go back and re-shoot.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nice!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I like this

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is nice

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Looks very BC-ish.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cinestill 800t. Read a suggestion of shooting it at 500 for bright daylight and it seems to work!.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DorianGravy posted:

I like this style for landscapes, and I've seen it elsewhere in this thread, but I'm not sure I have the right vocabulary for it. It's kind of a soft appearance, without deep blacks or sharp colors. Kind of old-timey. Is desaturated the right term? Sepia tone-ish? This is a something that you activity go for in post-processing, right?

Nah, just wait for forest fires and you're good to go.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I really like this one.