Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

...what?

I think GBS is leaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

O'riginal posted:

In general, how do you all feel about non-standard-sized openings in mats, when you print your photos? I am usually too lazy to cut my own mats, but I really hate the standard 8x10 format; I prefer 8x12.

This is not particular to landscapes, but if I print something that I really care about I crop it exactly how I want it, and mat and frame to fit that.

Now if I'm giving away some nice shots of various things to relatives and whatnot, I generally just do 8x10 or 11x14 or something standard... but for my personal stuff that I want "right" I just suck it up and get a custom mat and an expensive right sized frame.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I am very slowly and carefully dipping my toe into doing landscapes. Been shooting birds and other stuff for a long time but I've always dreaded landscape photography, Went to a workshop a few weeks ago with the intention of figuring out how to shoot wide angle properly, but the first thing the workshop leader said was to just not feel like you need to especially in the landscapes around here that often benefit from a tighter composition. I ended up shooting the whole weekend with a 24-120 and 200 prime. All my favorite shots were at 70mm and up, so ended up ordering a lightly used 70-200/4 Nikkor when I got back.

I still can't do wide angle. On rare occasion I might be able to get an ok shot at 20-21mm but I can count those on one hand's fingers.

Loved the area we were in though, lots of pine trees and rocks and small lakes. The second pic does not have jpeg artifacting in the background; it's actually ice on a lake. Not sure if I should just smooth it out in post -- opinions?

Tiveden by Christer M, on Flickr

Tiveden #2 by Christer M, on Flickr

Tiveden #3 by Christer M, on Flickr

Tiveden #4 by Christer M, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Going through some shots from the last Norway trip here.

DQ6J3546-5 by C M, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 14, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

I like the wider better too but move your horizon either up or down and crop off the top or bottom.

Yeah, I'd crop the top on that one but keep the wide view overall. But that's just, like, my opinion.

I noticed that I tend to either have a lot of empty space in my shots or make them really tight. With the landscape shots I seem to end up having a lot of "nothing" in them, or crop so tight there's no e.g. no sky and just trees visible. It bothers me a bit when you get a "little bit" of something.

L1008723 by C M, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I just love it when you get the "layers" of mountains with some fog/mist/clouds/smog that make them look almost graphical.

Not sure about the crop on this one, it feels unbalanced somehow, what do you guys think? Or is it just a blah shot and I should nuke it?
DSC_2599-2 by C M, on Flickr

These other two I am happier with:

DSC_2604 by C M, on Flickr

DSC_2609-2 by C M, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

xzzy posted:

The first one definitely has a balance problem. But there's nothing you can crop out without making it worse. I think it mostly comes from the cascade on the left coming out of the corner.

That third one is rad. I always make stuff like that a square crop so it's interesting when someone doesn't.

Yeah, I kept fiddling with crops on the first one and just can't make it happen. I think it's the two similar cascades messing things up. I like the look of the area though so will have to go back and try some different angles of these falls.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Can only add to the love here. What a great, well balanced shot.

I kind of miss the CCD on my Leica M9. It made for some fairly dramatic and a little overcooked shots but I did like it:
L1009130 by C M, on Flickr

The Canon 1D4 was with me on the same trip and it was more laid back:
DQ6J3580 by C M, on Flickr

DQ6J3525-2 by C M, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Very Ansel Adams I think. Love the tones.

DSC_0493 by C M, on Flickr

DSC_0533 by C M, on Flickr

DSC_0699 by C M, on Flickr

DSC_0690 by C M, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 27, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Anyone else doing drone landscapes? Was experimenting a while back with shooting straight down and trying to find interesting shapes. Mavic Pro 2.

DJI_0608 by C M, on Flickr

DJI_0630 by C M, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

blue squares posted:

I love that. I have been thinking of getting a drone but I’m worried about annoying the hell out of anyone nearby

They are pretty quiet once you are up in the air a bit. I wouldn’t worry about it unless it’s a really serene nature preserve with a bunch of people or something.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Some older shots, still going through tens of thousands of unprocessed files here.

DSC_0638 by C M, on Flickr

DSC_0718 by C M, on Flickr

DSC_0759 by C M, on Flickr

DSC_0850-3 by CM, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Hot drat

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Feeling a bit dark here lately so here's some images along that line. Also, to the goons that have commented on Flickr: sorry that I haven't noticed it, I pretty much just use Flickr for free hosting so I never actually look at notifications or anything. Appreciate the comments though!

Untitled by C M, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 7, 2024

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

some birbs for the thread

Dig this one and will contribute some more birbs for the thread. Any of you guys shoot anamorphic lenses? For some reason I've gotten in my head that it could be a cool thing to have for landscapes. drat things are a bit costly though.

IMG_9833 by C M, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Love these and geeze they are sharp as hell. I know we don't discuss much gear here, but I am a bit curious what you shot these with.

Took the drone out at lunch today, finally started getting a little warmer so I could fly it. Had it out in -12 last week and the internal barometer had many complaints which made me not trust flying it at that point. -2 today which worked fine. It's interesting trying to do landscape type stuff with the constraints of a smaller sensor (in exchange for an otherwise difficult to achieve perspective).

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Love these kind of images where initially you are confused as to the scale of what you're looking at.

Haven't had a chance to shoot much the past week but here's one:

DSC_3993 by C M, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

God drat I love this one.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Some taken with my first "pro" camera, 1Ds II. I think that even today it holds up well. Maybe more street than landscape/cityscape?

VH0M5745 by C M, on Flickr

VH0M5725 by C M, on Flickr

VH0M3786 by C M, on Flickr

Going down by C M, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Heading back to this area in May.

IMG_8470-2 by C M, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Couple of shots before I'm off on vacation for a week. Going to bring a Sigma DP2m and nothing else because I'm a creative genius loving dumbass. Wish me luck, I have lots of batteries.

DSC_3193 by C M, on Flickr

VH0M2324 by C M, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

DP2M0060 by C M, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Love these, are they large format? Getting those vibes.

_DSC2189 by C M, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Grab bag

VH0M1722 by C M, on Flickr

IMG_8983 by C M, on Flickr

IMG_1214 by C M, on Flickr

DSC00762 by C M, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005