Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

octane2 posted:

So the photograph is horrible. I understand that. I thought I'd try something different. That's the beauty of experimenting, especially with photography, if it doesn't work out, you can try something else another time.

Not every photo everyone takes is going to be everyone's cup of tea. I thoroughly appreciate your critique and will endeavour to post worthy photographs. Feel free to pull them apart as it will only assist me the next time I decide to press the shutter. Cheers.

Having said that, the print looks great. I may never get a request for a print, however, I am content with looking at it on my wall and remembering that gorgeous day along Lake Diamond.

brad industry, I agree with you re: rule of thirds. It's not the be-all-and-end-all of anything.

I don't think that photo was horrible. gently caress the rule of thirds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Here are a few from my recent cross country trip.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

jackpot posted:

Oh my God. Where is this place, and did you have to die to get there?

It's just off of I94 in North Dakota. You can see sunflower fields from the highway but have to take a half hour of dirt farm roads to find a decent vantage point. Oh and be willing to stand on the roof of your car.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SiB posted:

If you don't mind, can you share your editing you did to that sunflower shot?

Sure. I used an antique lightroom preset ( from here http://www.camielschoonens.nl/journal/photography/lightroom-presets/), then cropped square, cranked up the black level to 35, bumped the exposure around a stop and a half to get the mid tones where I wanted them, then used highlight recovery to get back some detail in the sky, then just a bit of sharpening.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

wandler20 posted:

Do you remember passing this thing? (cross posted from snapshots thread)

Yes but it was dark. I drove from Woodville WI to Glendive MT in one day.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I think I might be doing it wrong. lately I prefer to use my 85mm on landscapes and my 20mm on portraits.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Some of my newer stuff.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 18, 2010

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

I especially like this one:

Looks like the rubbish bins are in a band together.

Yeah I was leaving the local Post Office when I saw that and had to stop.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

General Gravedancer posted:

It may sound silly, but your photo's have a fantastic mathematical "feel".
Somehow, they just look right. Very soothing for the eye.

Thanks. I am trying for a very arranged look in my landscapes.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Reichstag posted:

Dude, that is sick.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Twenties Superstar posted:

This would have been fly as hell if it wasn't all off kilter and unbalanced what happened

I sort of liked it being just slightly off. You think it would work better if I cropped it to place the cones more centralized?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Twenties Superstar posted:

Well I think things being off centre is a problem (I think stepping to the left ever so slightly and maybe turning left a little bit would have done wonders to make the scene "lock in") but there is also that the whole scene seems to be tilted a little relative to the edges of the frame. I noticed that you were very careful to make sure the top of the building was level but that seems to be the only edge in the whole photo that has that property. I would have been more particular about getting the lines on the building to make the same angle with the edge of the frame as it's symmetrical double. These kinds of photos are candy for me I love to take them and love to see them but this one seems a little sloppy.

Hhhmm. I was never really happy with that window on the right side.

I think this is a scene I will have to revisit now that I have a longer lens for my 'blad.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Reichstag posted:

Rainier National Park

Newton rings:argh:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Some new stuff. I have really fallen behind in my scanning.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

What kind of film is this?

That is Portra NC 160.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bloviator posted:

Excellent catch! It's so hard to find a wild copyright notice in it's natural environment.

*insert lovely flashing flickr award here*

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Buy a Hasselblad, shoot square, gently caress bitches.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Here's some new stuff from a couple of weeks ago. Before that ^^^^^ happened to the PNW.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
That's an 80mm on 6x6 so a normal FOV. That second one is pretty rad by the way.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
^^^ That is pretty awesome. Looks a bit off level though, just a little bit high on the right side.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Expired Polaroid landscapes inbound.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Dread Head posted:

This is rad.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
A couple of photos from my recent trip home to visit my family in central New York.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

I really need to get out and shoot more.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Thanks, that's an abandoned school that we used to take the dog to so he could play in the courtyard off leash. I plan to go back and shot more soonish.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Rubber Slug posted:

Is that Santa Cruz, California?

Nope, somewhere in North Dakota along Interstate 94.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Koivunen posted:

All my photos on the last page are from North Dakota too. However I was in northeast ND where the land is completely flat for hundreds of miles. I lived there for five years... never again. Too boring.

Yeah, it was cool to drive through but I couldn't live there.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Tincans posted:

If I eat your heart will I gain your powers?

Buying a tripod and neutral density filter with be less messy.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I finally shot a few landscapes on digital that I don't completely hate (still going back with medium format next week).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

pim01 posted:

The rape is in bloom now, so much yellow everywhere!

000008.jpg by pimvanoerle, on Flickr

I was a bit anxious about the mystery roll of expired Kodak Gold 200 I found in a drawer, but the colours turned out pretty nice.

Spot your scans :argh

XTimmy posted:

So I've been shooting for almost a quarter of my life and have never ever done proper landscapes. Rectified that recently. Not overly happy with the results, they feel noisy and cluttered, without the sweeping epic nature of other landscapes. The last one is my favourite Be gentle.

Araluen (1 of 3) by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Araluen (2 of 3) by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Araluen (3 of 3) by TimFPictures, on Flickr

I don't care for the postprocessing done to these. There is a bit too much contrast in some of the tree trunks. White skies are pretty boring and should be avoided at all costs. Pay closer attention to your corners and edges the trees wandering in and out of the frame distract the eye. I think these scenes have potential good images buried in them, keep shooting until you get the hang of it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

XTimmy posted:

Thanks for a fair critique, I'm a fan of high contrast in my other work so that's carrying over a bit here. I was very mad about the white skies, it was perfectly clear for a week (still is) and in the hour drive up it became totally overcast. gently caress you god, gently caress you.

I feel you man. I spend so much time waiting for interesting skies that my best friend recently asked me if I ever take any landscape photos, I threatened to beat him senseless with a giant pile of negatives.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Oh man, I wish those people weren't there.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Kujaroth posted:

Photoshop out the power lines.

Don't do this.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

I live in west Marin County, in the Bay Area. I've got the Point Reyes National Seashore right nearby but not much opportunity to take good advantage of it because I don't have a car at the moment. :P

My trip planning's in the preliminary stages at the moment, but I've got a list of places I'd like to go (in and near California for the moment). Some of them might need separate trips. Among them:

• Lassen Volcanic National Park
  • Mono Lake
  • Lake Tahoe
  • the Salton Sea (and maybe Bombay Beach, a tiny little run-down but charming town)
  • Palm Springs and Mount San Jacinto State Park
  • Tonopah, Nevada

I've been to several of these before, and remember them being beautiful, but some of them I either wasn't into landscape photography yet, or (Lake Tahoe) I hosed up the good photos from the trip. I would love to get some good photos of Bumpass Hell near Mt. Lassen this time.
I am super jealous of people within driving distance of the Salton Sea. Go there and make me photos to drool over.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

Basically, shoot at sunrise or sunset. Obviously there's more technique to it than that, but I can't think of anything that has a bigger effect on making a mediocre landscape into a great one.

Composition? Content? I mean, I wouldn't say that light alone would make something a great photograph. There has to be something there in the first place.

Dick Danger posted:

I really hate sucking at things, so I want to make a goal of working towards the quality of landscape photography everyone else posting here seems to maintain. Are there any particularly good resources/theory for beginners?

Look at a lot of photographs. Seriously, spend as much time as you can looking at images you like and think about why you like them. Landscape throws a lot of people because they have trouble with the concept of the scene it's self being the subject of the photo. It's easier to get away with sloppier composition when shooting something clearly defined that dominates the viewers attention, like portraits or sports. Remember that you aren't just trying to take a picture of a tree and a rock, you are trying to say something with those elements.

I'm not saying that every photograph you take must be meticulously planned and thought out. Just that if you don't know why you are taking a photograph then you probably shouldn't take it. Here are a few Flickr groups with some strong work that I like to follow:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/anthropogenics/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/neotopografia/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/americanelegy/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/democraticforest/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/landscapist/

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

My assumption is if they're posting here they already have some awareness of composition. :colbert:

Especially because almost everything that gets posted on this sub-forum blows my poo poo out of the water.

Fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Some new work I just finished scanning and spotting.

20120828-002-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20120828-004-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20120828-007-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20120828-011-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20120828-020-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr