Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My first portrait shooting experience was interesting to say the least. My dad wanted me to shoot an outdoor party (with a Great Gatsby theme, which was a lot of fun) in the evening. While having the sun behind me is nice, the problem was that it was going through a tree, and as the night went on, it got away from the tree and blew out about half the area I was shooting. Ordinarily, "change the shooting area!" is the order of the day, but this was in front of a friend's 1914 Model T (which was loving gorgeous) and he didn't want to move it if he didn't absolutely have to.

This is an example of what I was dealing with. Smaller groups, I obviously got in closer, but this was a problem all night. Would there be something I can do down the line to fight that?

I already know the picture isn't great by any means, but I had just received my new flash and had virtually no time to practice with it, so everything was on AUTO settings. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Interrupting Moss posted:

Cover shoot where everything went wrong, but we made lemonade from lemons. Renzi Stone, former University of Oklahoma basketball player, now big guy at and OKC HR firm.

I like everyone in the background, but coach's face seems... off somehow. Is the girl on the left holding a cell phone? I'd love to hear the story about this. The shot has a lot of potential.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

e2: just so you know I'm not crazy, here's a nice safe fluffy shot

He's got a Bruce Campbell look going on here and I love it.

I can imagine that high school students/athletes are a bitch to work with. It's an awkward time for them and nobody thinks they look good because nobody DOES look good in their high school years. Lord knows I didn't anyways. :v:

Back to portrait/people shooting, I'm looking at a few primes (various f/2.0, 1.8 and 1.4 lenses) that I might do some portrait shots with. I had heard that f/1.8 is about the borderline on shooting people, and 1.4 is probably overkill. Can anyone set me straight on this?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Technically, it depends on focal length.

Noooooo, you're supposed to help narrow my choices you jerk :arghfist::( Nah, we cool

I'm down to the Oly 50mm f/2.0 Macro, the Sigma 30mm f/1.8, and Sigma 50mm f/1.4 as my 3 options for shooting people. I'm sure any of them will work fine but I'm also sure I'm forgetting something between them that I should be aware of.

EDIT:

evil_bunnY posted:

DoF is distance-dependent. Play with a DoF calculator. You're looking at 85mm yes?

And there it is! What's this now? :downs: I'm completely new to it. All I know is that I'm dealing with a 2x crop factor.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Then, by the numbers, the 50mm f/1.4 is the best bet. You don't have to use the largest aperture, you know.

I'd want to see images from a 2x crop sensor with that lens first, though, were I you.

This is a fair thought as well, and I'm basically down to it or the macro, and trying to figure out whether I'll be using a crazy large aperture more than I'll be taking pictures of bugs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Reichstag posted:

Holy poo poo it's Golgo 13 :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I took 230 pictures of a friend's 8 month-old son.

About 10 of them actually had him either paying attention or at least had a decent expression on his face :doh:

This isn't for crit as much as it is showing off what I was dealing with the whole time.

I'm laying out prone in a combination of dirt and grass at an apple orchard as the boys' parents are behind me jingling keys and waving stuffed animals around. LOOK OVER HERE DAMNIT :argh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

There's really no directing you can give a baby, you just sorta hope for the best and let the kid amuse themselves. Just remember that since it's not your kid, even when he's not looking at the camera, the parents are going to love the poo poo out of it. If it's in focus they're going to love it. I had a big breakthrough on kid shots because I realized that no matter what you give them, the parents are going to love it.

Oh yeah they love them regardless. It was just a pain in the rear end :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sildargod posted:

It was a cancer thing, there were some quite nice shots that came from it. this was the nearest we got to actually having her appear as a breast cancer ribbon.

That's... pretty drat clever now that I look at it. Could you show us some of the others?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

The background of this isn't helping. All the loose rock/sand makes me think she's walking by the construction site for that house behind her.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Skizzzer posted:

I saw this on flickr last night but I just saw the hands now :stare:

Wait what do you mea- whoooa

drat RS that rules

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What comes on a Triforce Plate?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

I call it "Commentary On The Male Gaze."

loving lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thetzar posted:

Street photo? Portrait photo? Why not both?

Untitled by Jason, on Flickr

I really like both of these.

Helen Highwater posted:

I took some more shots of Anastasia. Still wide open and overexposed but a faster shutter this time.

Anastasia 37 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

This is a solid improvement on your earlier ones. I'd keep it at 1/50 at the least.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ant mouth posted:

bare bulb that poo poo and make it sassy as gently caress.

mods???

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That girl looks to the left in every picture you took, doesn't she

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

fwiw I think the black one looks fantastic.

Yeah same.

To be completely fair I don't mind the sepia as much as I usually do, but the B&W one is great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They already doing a "This is 40" sequel? :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

change my name posted:

Any tips on shooting dog portraits? Especially all black dogs.

a whole lot of light

and prayer

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Take a friend or family member to places where you figure you're going to have similar lighting and just take pictures of them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah honestly if you have a solid zoom available as well, that's going to help you out in a lot of situations. Super fast primes are great but in a constantly evolving situation like a wedding and reception, having that flexibility of a zoom as opposed to trying to swap out lenses is going to be a huge help.

Good aperture zooms of like f/4 and faster aren't going to have 'lousier image quality'. Kit lenses are junk, sure, but pros keep zoom lenses around for a drat good reason.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm not sure if it's her makeup or the post processing or what, but her face almost looks like it's wax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the tone doesn't seem too bad, but the texture looks way too smooth.