Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
I got bored and had to finish a roll of 120.

The dirtiest frame I've ever seen! No idea what happened to this particular shot, other frames are much cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Shameless crosspost from PAD.

A friend popped over last minute and we messed around a bit with some lighting but I couldn't find my lightmeter so some spots are really uneven but it was fun and my first time using off camera with my MF camera. I asked her to come without showering/makeup so I could work on my post processing, I think I did okay!

Whoops I mean

:wmwink:

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

CarrotFlowers posted:

Couples shoot:

IMG_9934_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_9910-2_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

Wish he had his hands up on the second one.

Personal taste here but would you consider cloning out the buttons? They are very reflective/contrasty and pull the eyes away. Solid work though!

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Initial thought: Nice!
Second thought: What the hell did you do to her body?

x-post from PAD
These guys got married (eloped, courtroom)! This was directly after the marriage while walking to get some pizza and wine.

No control over location or time, kind of upset the top of her dress is so blown out.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Jameson by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

edit: That last one looks much darker on this monitor than when I edited it.

Would recommend shopping out the wall corner off his head in the first photo and the vignette in the second. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the third but on first glance it looks cool.

Very fun second photo, would recommend having him take off glasses or pop the glasses out the frame to avoid the break in his face.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Are you sure you're not overpowering the skylight already? F/9 ISO 50 and 1/200 seems pretty dark for indoors. I would think that kills the skylight, but maybe not.

You should have no problems overpowering the fluorescent lights, so I wouldn't worry about that.

As for backdrops, get some paper or one of those backdrops that fold up like a reflector.

You can gel your lights to match the fluorescent, it fucks a little bit with colour temp. I would also recommend getting paper instead, cloth is a bitch. You should steam it if possible until then or just blast it with light to overexpose it.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Sludge Tank posted:

Thanks. Thing is, I also want to play around a lot with a black backdrop and have 'darker' settings, so being able to completely block out & control the light would be great. The photo I posted was actually taken around 8pm after the sun had gone down and most of the ambient light was gone.

drat I wish I'd gone for paper backing, my mate actuallly suggested it to me as well. he said his sister has some and it works well. Oh well live & learn.

I thought about blasting it with light as suggested but will this have a negative impact on the subject like adding nasty halos or anything?

thanks again for tips so far.

e: any post-prod tips you could offer would be appreciated. The above pic has more or less nothing done to it except I changed the colour temp in RAW.

If you blast that background with light from behind it will be fine (no halos). You could do a curves or exposure mask of the background and whiten it then do less touchup of creases if they are still there.

Here is a SUPER QUICK very rough example. I did a curves layer on the bg, duplicated it then fiddled with opacity, then went ahead and curved the model as well. Took like 2 minutes including uploading. I'm sure you could do better if you took your time.

Anyway, the point is to shoot on paper.

Edit: I couldn't resist.

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 18, 2013

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

I'm sure you get asked this all the time but what do you shoot on? I know you do your own developing, I would like to get to that point soon.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Just as an FYI - even after asking a client what kind of retouching they would like for their photos ask again. Especially Asian (especially Indian) clients with dark skin. It'll save you time and a headache.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Would've liked to see these shot at a narrower aperture to keep the entire body in focus. Bakewells2 in your flickr set would've definitely been improved with a larger depth of field IMO. I like to PP style though.

My job was a bit more run of the mill. He wanted lots of PP but refused to smile because of his chipped teeth that I told him no one really cares about.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
What you should do is buy them a photography book.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

PuntCuncher posted:

Just so I'm not a complete rear end in a top hat, here's a quick and dirty shot I snuck of my fiancee in a cherry orchard. Low light and I screwed up my iso, and framing and everything.

How good or bad you are doesn't change how bad theirs is.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

alkanphel posted:

Using the same lighting setup as this shot, I switched cameras and took this:

Danny Santos II by alkanphel, on Flickr

I know our styles differ but I desperately want to buy you a reflector.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I think the couple shots of the bloke could at least go somewhere with some directional light, a bit grease on his wifebeater and face, some vignette etc in post. At least stick a wrench in his hand, for gods sake :argh:

But yeah, :effort:

Don't forget the look of "surprise".

Good as a portrait, fun idea. I would maybe retouch the back of her thigh and d/b her skin to match tones overall. Do you have this any wider at all?

My turn:

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 18, 2013

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

I swear I need to start bringing along a chart of expressions.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

thetzar posted:

I really like this. Feels light and delicate.

A couple from my recent West Coast vacation:

Have Coat, Will Travel 1 by thetzar, on Flickr

Have Coat, Will Travel 4 by thetzar, on Flickr

Really nice!

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

RangerScum posted:

What's up with the skin tones on her calf? It also looks like there is a line extending from the corner of her mouth out across her face... and her skin is kind of yellowish near where her left leg meets her shorts. Otherwise, I like!

Other than the little bit of yellow I don't see any of what you're seeing?

I like it too though!

Model showed up late and forgot to finish her makeup and had to do it in a car -_-;;;;;;; The thing on her cheek is a Taurus sign. I think I will photoshop it out if I use for my site but haven't decided yet. I also may adopt a policy of chopping off the hands of models who wear hairties on their wrists after I ask them to remove.

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 23, 2013

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

LargeHadron posted:

A couple that I like from my first paid photo shoot ever

DSC03223_a by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03244 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

Apparently something from this shoot is going to end up on a CD album insert, no big deal or anything :smug:

First is nice, second would have benefited from a reflector perhaps?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Cyberbob posted:

Trying my hand at corporate shots for LinkedIn for a client.

JB #1 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Would you be ok with critique of this image?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

sildargod posted:

I was asked to shoot a friend's makeup again for portfolio work. I had loaned my gear to another friend who needed to shoot a music video so declined. The lady with the makeup said I could use her camera, and asked nicely so I landed up doing the shoot.

My gear:
5d MkII
tamron 24-70
Canon 100mm macro
Canon 85mm f/1.8
Takumar 50mm f/1.4

Very nice for portrait work, I would have liked to see what the new body did with her makeup because she often goes wild with colour.

Her gear:

Nikon d90 with 18-105 kit lens.

With a lot of reflector work and a LOT of patience (seriously, how the gently caress do you Nikonians accurately meter?) I got a couple of shots I'm okay with. They're so soft and non-contrasty though..

Calli Creswick Makeup (10 of 11) by sildargod, on Flickr

Calli Creswick Makeup (6 of 11) by sildargod, on Flickr

In terms of critique - too many different sources of light/reflection and thus differing color casts. :/ For makeup usually there is a want for color to be uniform throughout. There are also a lot of shadow and hair obscuring her work.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Dr. Shockwave posted:

So last night there was this 'meet and greet' of local photographers. Really awesome concept. They hired a model and let like 20 of us take her picture all at the same time.

One model for TWENTY photographers? What the hell is the use? Even having three or four would have been infinitely better.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

smallmouth posted:

I shot with my first model today. Any comments are welcome.

IMG_7199 by philip painter, on Flickr

IMG_7168 by philip painter, on Flickr

IMG_7207 by philip painter, on Flickr

IMG_7226 by philip painter, on Flickr

Pretty much the same pose in every shot, same facial expression (I struggle with that and new models). The photos may show the model but it doesn't seem like they feature her if that makes sense.

Random summer stuff

Too busy?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Dren posted:

Speaking of backdrops what do people use? I bought a medium gray muslin and a stand for it. It was wrinkly as poo poo and I read you can't iron them so I got the cheapest steam cleaner Target had and steamed it out. It's pretty good now. I never managed to find any official wisdom regarding muslins. Is what I did a normal thing?

Muslins suck, get paper.

That is horrifying.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Sometimes generic and contrived lighting is okay if that's what the client wants.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

RangerScum posted:

I thought little kids just have smooth skin in general?

I like the photo but I don't understand your composition.

I agree on the composition. I think a 6x7 or similar crop would work well to cut a bit of the negative space out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Hot drat. A+++ username, by the way.