Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

AnotherFreakboy posted:

Sorry if that came across as smartass. I couldn't work out what was going on in the background till me wife pointed out to me that it was her shoes.

What? gently caress that, smartass is good, not bad. Sheesh, and you call yourself a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Manny Calavera posted:

Looking for advice... I only just got my first DSLR less than a week ago, along with lightroom. Before that I was using a Fujifilm S7000 for a year, with no post.

I need any constructive criticism at all, it's all very welcome. I am simply amazed at the levels of quality displayed by the majority of posters in this forum. I am embarrassed to be posting my own, but I know that there's a lot be learnt from doing so.

These first two are my first ever photos taken in RAW! I was amazed at how post can be so much more fruitful with it.

I know I can be a bit of a whore when it comes to high contrast black and white.

The mirror shot, you have neither the girl, nor her reflection in focus. Pick one.

The blown highlights are killer in a couple of these.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Man_alive posted:

I get the same feeling.

This is an unflattering angle. Basically, you're key-stoning her hips. The same shot from beneath, shooting up would be much better.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TheLastManStanding posted:

Other way around. Shooting low will put the emphasis on the lower body. He handled it correctly by shooting high, he just needs to crop it because there is way way to much space in both those pictures.

But...shooting low, with a wide angle lens, held portrait will elongate the woman, making her taller, right?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Low wide angle will make legs look longer, but in this case it would've made beer hips even wider and possibly lost her neck if she was looking down. Using a longer focal length would've been better.

Alright, I'm able to visualize it better now. The three responses have me back on track.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Ok, how did I do with this one?

Like the others said, the background distracts...unless she works at a car lot or manages a parking facility.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Oprah Haza posted:

All three are fine, the second one looks like you lost some detail in the highlights.

But, I quoted this one for a reason. This is a shot where I think you've shown how beautiful she can be, without tricks or dodges. This is the photo that should convince her to be more comfortable posing with you. Very nice job.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Elemeno^P posted:

Truly amazing shot.

-------

Took some shots of my daughter before her spring dance. I am actually really happy how these came out, but being such, I figured I would solicit some feedback before I started to think too much of my self.

I sacrificed having that house in the background to use this red bud tree for a backdrop. I may try to do some more cloning work to remove it.

Lovely, but I'd like to see some shots of her not looking directly at the camera. Do you have any 3/4 shots?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I've heard several times that basically any digital photo needs some amount of sharpening applied.

No. Many shots are fine, straight from camera, I find. Sharpening will help many, or most, photos, but I have plenty of sharp shots I've done zero sharpening on.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Did some "draft" headshots for one of my guys. "Draft because, the third one shows the quality of light my lovely conference room fluorescents have. And, because I'm urging him to think about paying someone (not me, a pro) to do it if he wants to use them professionally (acting).

Devon2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Devon1 by torgeaux, on Flickr

No Color Balance Devon by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Oprah Haza posted:

Session - she wanted very serious looks

If you're gonna show skin, you have to give it time to rebound from the prior clothes/undergarments.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

thetzar posted:

ms montgomery by thetzar, on Flickr

I hadn't shot them intending to do the diptychs; if I had, I probably would have played with the format of them a bit more. Shot them as straight squares, then got the idea while editing.

this is the weakest. Good model, but direct profile shot is weakest one.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

thetzar posted:

I'm curious as to why you say so. Is it the profile shot in general, or something in particular I've done here. She does seem kind of flat and unexpressive.

It's not a good angle for the model, and it's unexceptional otherwise. The other shots have some zing, but the combination of "mug shot profile" and the fact that it's unflattering just kill it.

Terrible lighting for this. I'm not sure I color corrected it properly. Thoughts?

Reyes Head Shot by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

aliencowboy posted:

It's pretty orange/yellow.

Reyes Head Shot3 by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cyberbob posted:

I have an oven. I is chef?

Honestly, either do it for free, or not at all.

I did some actor headshots to show him the difference in well lit shots with good camera (versus buddy's p&s), but told him to pay someone if appreciated the difference. He saw the benefit and paid a pro, even though he liked the test shots.

if she's a friend, shooting her kids is kosher (for free). If not, point her elsewhere.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

McMadCow posted:

Whether or not we can agree on the merits of the DOF used, his subject's eyes aren't lit and that's a big no-no in this sort of portrait.

Instead of hitting all the (correct) critiques, let me broadly explain.

This was a 'can you take a quick shot' photo, for use in a newspaper article. Only one room in my office allows cameras, no natural light, terrible fluorescents. I needed a reflector, but the butcher block paper I use for that was being used. I prefer shallow depth, and his jacket had no detail (navy blues) anyway.

a flash or a reflector would have gone a long way.

I'll link to the article when it goes live.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/28/2429170/pentagon-launches-slick-war-court.html

You have to scroll to the last picture in the little slide show. Kinda small, but hey, it looks better at that size/resolution than otherwise.

edit: Third picture. I definitely did not take the last picture.

edit: Ok, now it's the fourth. Sheesh.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 29, 2011

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Photo68(8x10) by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dakana posted:

I'm doing school pictures for a preschool next week. Feed me your best stupid kid jokes.

Here's one: What has antlers and sucks blood? A moose-quito.

I'm doing volunteer shooting for my kids daycare. The oldest is the group of 5 year olds. I'm getting some mileage from "say cheese when I say now" and taking a shot on THAT now. Then looking confused and accusing them...after the second time that happens, you have a real smile.

The two to three year olds are the killers.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I was volunteered to shoot the photos at my son's daycare. I had a great time, and frankly liked my "outtakes" shots more than the "they posed correctly" shots. It helps that I didn't have to try to fix the backdrop issues in the "rejects."

Outtakes30 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Outtakes29 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Outtakes1 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Outtakes15 by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tekopp posted:

I took some pictures of my baby:

She never stands still, so out of the 50 000 photos I have of her, I'm sure over half is either the back of her head, or just a blurry shape running from me.
And if I do get eyecontact, she often just gives me this kind of grumpy stare, to tell me to quit asking for her to smile. She's obviously busy, like in the last photo. She was organizing cupcake wrappers, and I was in the way.

She's a very happy kid, and smiles all the time, just not to the camera.

She was younger in this photo:

And here's one of my little sister:

AAAAAAAAAAA My Tables!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

McMadCow posted:

:argh: Dark area on the bottom right. WHY IS IT THERE?! :argh:

Also, you inadvertently stumbled on a pet peeve of mine with these. Here are two pictures of your subjects framed in a 1/3 to 2/3 arrangement in a blank frame. Why? What is the point of shifting them off-center when there is absolutely nothing in the rest of the frame?
I'm sure there are circumstances when you can totally kill it with negative space in an otherwise empty frame, but it's not working in these. The rule of thirds is about relationships, and your subjects aren't relating to anything in the empty space.

EDIT: Especially the first shot.

I like the look of the 1/3 to 2/3 arrangement.

Photo108(6x4) by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, bouncing a flash, didn't look where I was standing, reflected off light fixture. Bad shot. Some harsh editing later, I actually like this in a sick, fauxtographer way.

Harsh J by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xenilk posted:

hahah, do you like it tho? :)

Here are a few other ones of the glamour shoot I just processed :)

IMG_1130 by avoyer, on Flickr

It's funny. This is the one in which she looks the prettiest, and so I think she'll like it best. I don't think it's the best photo in the series, but she's far and away the most attractive here.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xenilk posted:

IMG_1320 by avoyer, on Flickr

She looks 35 in this shot. That's not a good thing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Evilkiksass posted:

DoF is controlled by 3 factors. Focal length, distance, and aperture. If your aperture results in poor IQ because it is wide open, you can control the other 2 factors to achieve what you want.

This. Lenses are sharper stopped down. So, a 1.4 lens may be super sharp at 4.0. Adjust other factors as necessary for intended effect. If you have to have very shallow depth, you may have to sacrifice some sharpness, though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cyberbob posted:

Slightly different tones, crops, and poses. Can't decide which I like more. Thoughts?

Silhouette d'Amour is Gothic by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Bonus:

Number 3 is her most flattering, number one is best shot overall.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dowdy_pants posted:

My baby girl had her first communion this past weekend.

luci-first-communion2 by ralph-brewer, on Flickr

And my big boy started playing teeball.

Max - Teeball by ralph-brewer, on Flickr

The center framing is hurting these, but really the first one. The space to the left of your girl is useless. The frame should show the veil blowing to the right, maybe even with some more space to the right of the veil.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Jiblet posted:

All teeth and no tits, although she's doing a fine job of trying to show both.

Wow, I think the thread can be closed now.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

I think it's ok, but her smile is soooo forced, and the pose doesn't look at all natural, but rather, a 'pose.'

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Only 4th really works. She has a vapid look in 2 and 3, and the blur in 1 does nothing good.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

This captures what these photos are supposed to capture. Very, very nice.

My son is definitely going to be a photographer:

Framing the Shot by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

The third one is money. Shooting kids is tough enough, but this has a lot of personality in a simple shot.

Oprah Haza posted:

Would recommend shopping out the wall corner off his head in the first photo and the vignette in the second. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the third but on first glance it looks cool.

Very fun second photo, would recommend having him take off glasses or pop the glasses out the frame to avoid the break in his face.

The first works great. The second seems good in concept, but only the small mirror in the bottom of the large mirror seems to really grab my attention. The third is just straight up her nose, no going back.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sludge Tank posted:

poo poo you both have given me a lot. Thanks so much. I haven't given any thought to the 2D/3D effect thing, I've been really hungup on producing even light across the whole photo. I've been really intimidated by creating shadows up until now. I'll put your poo poo into action and see what I come up with. Thankyou seriously.

I also do realise the importance of incorporating appropriate light into my sibjects but have been a bit unsure until now... I'll see how I go but I think this has been a big game changer. I'll get back to you with some new shots soon.

(PS I'm using this thread as a testing platform for everything I do until I feel confident enough to start marketing myself (for small-time bands/DJ's etc)... let me know if I have a long way to go, I don't want to jump the gun too soon)

sorry if I'm coming across as a leach for knowledge... just want to get all this right

edit: fyi I'm working with a 580exII and 430exII at the moment, both which I know how to operate from my camera (but may fail to apply them accordingly) after reading Speedliters Handbook...

Read up on Rembrandt lighting. It's a classic, it's use able in lots of situations, and you'll see it everywhere.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sludge Tank posted:

Would these be considered Rembrandt?

Yup. Note, Rembrandt is an easy go to, but for me it is just a jumping off point because it nicely demonstrates how shadow shapes the image.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

LargeHadron posted:

DSC03447 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03476 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03461 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03486 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

Same poo poo different day. But I did try to be more colorful this time.

She has a prominent forehead, so shots from above are a bad idea. Also, I think she'd benefit from tilting her head a bit.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Don't know why I like this so much, but I do like it.

Arthur Woods by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mannequin posted:

Very nice! Good makeup, good lighting and great expression on her face.

These were some digital pictures that I took, but I spent most of the time shooting film. The lower/right (with the blonde haired model) was I think a test shot prior to me switching over to film. We did a few tests with my digital camera before changing over to film. I think I should probably brighten the shoes so that they're a little more visible. I'm hoping the film shots are much better. We had one or two more wardrobe changes that are not evident here.

I like them, but 3 and 4 have issues. 3 is a bad facial expression for her, and she needs to pick where she's looking better. 4 screams "bondage glamour" because of her handcuffed hand look. It loses impact, without regard for the bondage issue because they appear too disconnected from each other and you.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Jonathon Cropped by torgeaux, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

It's been a long time since I've been around here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65293251@N08/9475232278/

Welcome back. I Iove this.