Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

toby posted:

I wanted very badly to comment on it, but decided I am only an onlooker in this thread and shouldn't criticize

All should participate, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

triplexpac posted:

Did you intentionally have all the shadows point to her crotch?

Yeah I didn't want to say anything but... it's like that's deliberately the focal point of the image. I mean I guess if that's what you were going for, cool, I just can't think why you would.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ansel autisms posted:

It's like a photo taken by someone who hasn't been exposed to any photography that wasn't inside of a Maxim issue.

I'm just trying to imagine the direction being given... "ok... wider... wider... WOAH NOT THAT MUCH... ok there, perfect."

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

Headcheck.

In all seriousness it's not like it's the worst thing ever, it's just a really unfortunate pose (that makes it kinda bad unless it was an ad shoot for a slim-line menstrual pad).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ansel autisms posted:

Heroin's a killer.

I dunno man I'm getting more of a "doing krokodil in the bushes just inside the exclusion zone in Pripyat" vibe from it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I dunno why but the lump from the tag near her waist is really buggin' me.

It's always the small poo poo.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Gazmachine posted:

As for everyone else, I'm guessing snarky = doing nothing for you? Rote? Boring? Seen it before too many times and done better?

That's probably a remarkably accurate interpretation of that, yeah. Just consider snarky as "you should take another look at this one."

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Tony Two Bapes posted:

am i doing this right:

ill connect by PC-P, on Flickr

If you're doing comedy ultrawide portraits you are required by law to be using a ringlight.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

triplexpac posted:

I've never worked with more than one strobe before. Do people generally mix the continuous & strobes in one shoot? You'd need a pretty slow shutter speed for that, right?

It sucks and you should probably try not to do it.

I mean you totally can but you may find yourself unable to avoid suicide.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

iSheep posted:

Yeah I only tried whitening eyeballs once and the effect really creeped me out.

It can work out well if you just dodge it a bit and don't like, just use a 255/255/255 pure-white brush.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

VendaGoat posted:

Any of you kids know who this is?

Ah, Andy Kaufman. Iconic.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I hate all of you so much.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Subyng posted:

I guess you aren't Leicing these puns? In my opinion they're the highlight of this thread. But I guess some would consider such posts to just be noise.

Please do not post.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

widunder posted:

More hand in face action

Try to catch him before he's smoked it down to the filter next time, it wasn't even obvious it was a cigarette in the thumbnail.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

somnambulist posted:

I'm THIS close to purchasing an oliphant backdrop for my portraiture. What does everyone think about them? Overrated? Worth it? You're crazy somnambulist? I want cake?

Look how beautiful this isssss

I dunno what to do :ohdear:

holy poo poo that's nice

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

somnambulist posted:

It's between that one and something like this

I wish they were cheaper or I'd get both. They make amazing poo poo.

If it were me I'd go with the first one.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

somnambulist posted:

I linked the wrong one, what do you think of the one i just edited?

Still what's showing up as the first one, the olive-lookin sorta one.

Paragon8 posted:

If you have the floor space I'd recommend trying to make 'em or contacting a local theatre department to see if they do commissions.

Also this. This is like twenty minutes' work for a decent scenic painter, if you're not pixel peeping too hard and don't mind it not lasting forever.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

VendaGoat posted:

Yes, the father makes it. The look on his face! :D

This seriously isn't making fun of what I think is a good photograph, but it's hilarious. The father is like "aw yeeeeah", the mother is like "OH HAROLD" and the wife is like "sup from down here in the chill zone"

Maybe the only tiny, barely-worth-mentioning gripe I have is that it'd be nice if it was SLIGHTLY taller, so you can see what they're sitting/standing on.

I can't remember the name of the dude you're ripping off, but you're doing a very good job of it. That was a compliment, I just can't remember who this style reminds me of.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 15, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ok T-Rich is a horrible sex offender but let's just not chat about how that enhances his work or what the gently caress ever.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

PushingKingston posted:

Yeah, I'm not seeing Juergen Teller in those shots either.

The more I think about it the more I'm sure it's actually another Dorkroom poster I was thinking of, but either way, the pics are nice, they just reminded me of some other person's stuff too.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

iSheep posted:

"Act natural"

Anyone who says this deserves the horrible photos that will inevitably result from it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

It's a lot easier when you already know the model.

*fiddle around with gear* "Ok, here we go, uh..." "Could you..." "TITTY SPRINKLES." *machinegun fifty frames that will probably be the best of the day*

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

poo poo like this has landed me more deliverable headshots than any legit direction I've given. Not that I couldn't pull it off without doing poo poo like this, but if you're taking pictures of a person, and you're more than 10 minutes in and you're not both laughing, you hosed something up. It's supposed to be fun.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

This right here is my loving jam.

This also is somewhat my jam, except, as weird as it sounds, I might prefer it without the model (obviously not as a portrait in that case, but you know what I mean). It's a great scene as-is.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Pukestain Pal posted:

Not 100% sure I'm thrilled with this, but it gave me a chance to mess with frequency separation a bit. Fun to mess with.

All ambient light with no off camera flash. There was a great lit up sign right on the road.

Mary Catherine O'Neill by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

The lighting's not bad, but the cut-off out of focus highlights make it seem like there's an invisible black box behind her head or something, if that makes any sense.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

The lighting is not doing her any favours in these two, and making the lighting work is your job. The ones after this were way less bad though.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

1st AD posted:

There's something weird about all these wide group shots, like everyone looks fatter or bigger than they should be (or maybe this is just the midwest and I'm not used to looking at average Americans). Is it the angle or focal length that's playing tricks here?

Yeah but you think EVERYONE'S fat.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Pukestain Pal posted:

yeah, there is that too. I was more speaking to his backgrounds (in general) being underexposed by 90 stops from the subject.

You should probably calm down.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Wooten posted:

I don't choose my client's clothes or the locations that they want photos taken. A lot of complaining in this thread from people who live and breathe shooting for the AP wire. It was one photo I liked from a shoot that included many photos. The background is actually slightly overexposed and I usually shoot in natural light and balance with flash but a literal idiot who shoots for a WIRE SERVICE said that sucked too. I guess I'll WIRE SERVICE. gently caress this thread, half of you AP WIRE AP WIRE AP WIRE.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

iSheep posted:

EDIT: Forgot words. She spray tanned the day before for a competition. Continuing my streak of working with subjects with fake tans, I feel like I made it work.

I hate it less than I thought I would.

That's a good thing by the way.

edit: and yeah the spray tan isn't too obvious, after having worked some bodybuilding competitions that left permanent stains on painted-wood equipment racks, I've seen a LOT worse.

edit2: the person next to me on the couch indicates "drat. that's really, really good."

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 15, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

iSheep posted:

I had to work some brush magic as well, Some of it washed off so I had to retouch in some areas.

She said there was orange everywhere in her tub, I asked if it looked like an oompa loompa was murdered in there.

The joke fell flat.

If you guys remember, I was gonna try to do a Terry Richardson style shoot with her, I opted for a studio instead and holy poo poo am I so happy I did. There are definitely things I could have done better. But she is pleased as punch with the photos I delivered and I have some incredibly solid shots for my portfolio.

Yeah the lighting is loving top-notch, and I can't imagine it working very well without really good lighting.

We're just gonna assume that by "Terry Richardson style" you mean direct on-camera flash, and yeah, this would not have looked good like that.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Pukestain Pal posted:

awww come on. I know it's directed at me! That makes it ok!

Kindly cease posting.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

i guess the trailer park boys are canadian, so I retract my previous statement

so is shortbus

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

i'm sorry canada, I have failed you

it's ok, we're sorry too

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

30hz posted:

thanks, definitely appreciate the comments.

here is a related "cutting" pic since you had mentioned welding

This is good but could probably do with some cropping / re-framing etc - I know what the subject of the picture is, but the thing that I keep looking at is the two clamps in the foreground. They do look really goddamn nice, but I barely even notice the dude's face.

e: Maybe it's because his clothes blend into the background a bit?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

voodoorootbeer posted:

The most metal beer to put on your rider is the one that's guaranteed to be skunked.

Jesus christ don't get me started on riders. There's one band (not a good band, not a famous band, in fact I can't even remember their name) who have a shitload of whiskey on their rider but we had to eventually start telling them we were only gonna give them the big bottle after the show was over, and they'd just get a handle of the cheap stuff pre-show.

Well, then a year later we just told them to gently caress off and buy their own booze, and they didn't complain.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Verman posted:

I don't even think that most bands understand the point of putting eccentric poo poo into riders other than dick waving their celebrity status.

They also frequently don't realize that people are just going to ignore all their dumb diva poo poo, which they'll just accept and not talk about it, because they're not gonna forfeit the take from a show over how much whiskey is in the dressing room.

At least not anymore, maybe back in the day, but most bands have been humbled pretty good. Probably because unless you're the biggest rock star in the world, there's more than enough on the other end of the contract to dick you out of getting paid for performing if you decide to get in a pissing match with the venue.

"The booze in the dressing room wasn't in an ice bucket as specified in the contract? Well, your 43-minute first set wasn't 45 minutes as specified in the contract either."

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

dakana posted:

If only there was a middle ground, like "Hey, we read your rider and saw that thing about needing xyz electrical things for your lights. That's taken care of. We also saw that you wanted us to spend hours sorting candy, and we're not going to do that because that's insane."

This is literally my job.

Well, at least, my job is to tell management what the artist is and isn't getting, and it's their job to dry the big rock star's inevitable tears with the finest silk or something.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-snype posted:

Stage crew:
"Tell those shitcock fuckweeds that the day I sort out M&Ms or what the gently caress ever into color coded bowls, is the day I brush my teeth with a 12 gauge. If they bitch please advise them I can and will make their vocals sound like they have been detesticled at random intervals during the show. Now if you will excuse me I have to go regel all the lights to make it look their livers have swollen to the size of Jupiter in the promo pics."

Manager Translation:
"The stage crew is working really hard to make sure everything goes off without a hitch tonight. As consummate professionals I have the utmost faith in them, but sadly there is not enough time to facilitate your request that we fill a bathtub with unwrapped watermelon Jolly Ranchers. I do apologize for this inconvenience."

...you have no idea how eerily close that is to the truth.

I did once threaten to use the reverb unit to put them in an airplane washroom, they didn't believe me until I showed them the "Airplane Restroom" preset on the effects unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

unpacked robinhood posted:

cool story time: I was wondering why the photographer my mother paid to get some nice pictures of her son used bluish cfl umbrellas with ambient sunlight, turns out it's because she doesn't give a poo poo.
The colors are heinous and I'm pretty angry, please don't be a photographer.

cfl is absolute garbage unless you have a super good reason for needing continuous light, and if you do have a super good reason needing continuous light, go back and check and make sure it makes sense and isn't dumb anyways.