Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Yeah, the flash exposure is perfect, I never would've thought to do that for my feeder, but I've just started taking pictures of it at all. Here's a few of my feeder pics:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Love the composition of this shot.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Pablo Bluth posted:

As bird-in-flight shots go, that's pretty good. Too often BIF translate to an underexposed underside of a bird against a boring sky.

Good point. I think it's a nice shot, because it fits my personal qualifications for a nice bird shot:

- Shows bird's eye
- Shows a behavior (in this case, catching fish)
- Interesting negative space around bird (not just a blob with a head)
- Shows feather detail

What are your personal qualifications for a nice shot?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Atlatl posted:

Long-Tailed Shrike (??)

Love the texture of the statue. Great shot.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Definitely good advice. I will say while the pro-level equipment helps, it's certainly not a requirement. (not a contest) but many years ago I got a scientific journal cover using a zoomy point and shoot, and I've had a tiny bit of success in these contests without a big prime or top of the line body. I think there's a lot to be said for getting to know a place and finding the unique photo opportunities there.

Yeah, reading the blurbs under the winners is helpful as well, especially for understanding the context of how the winning shots happened. One of my favs was someone who dressed in a full Ghillie suit for something like a week to get a shot of baby peregrine falcons at daybreak. There definitely seems to be a theme of rare / impressive species + distinct behavioral narrative + gorgeous framing / lighting which is basically a trifecta of difficulty.

That's a big draw for me, actually. Once I feel burnt out on the photography aspects I can focus on becoming a better birder, and vice versa.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I think its definitely true that for most of us, learning our local bioregions and how to photograph them is the best way to have a good time and get nice results.

Oh yeah, I think most people are definitely not able to find that kind of free time. I know I can't.

It does encourage me to do a little more research around my area, and now I know a spot an owl hangs out that's about a ten minute walk from my house. And apparently one of the local reservoirs (15 minute drive) is actually a really great spot to find osprey and bald eagle as well as overwintering waterfowl and I would never have known that without having a reason to look. The elements of luck and of finding hidden gems are what I really like about it.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Beautiful!

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

frogbs posted:

I recently found out I live near a wildlife preserve with a pretty good bird population. Yesterday I saw a bald eagle, red wing blackbirds, wood ducks, and yellow dumped warblers. I have a Fuji X-T3 with the cheap XC 50-230 zoom. While it worked, I wish I had a bit more range, and always felt like I was fighting the camera/lens with autofocus. Should I upgrade to something like the 70-300 for $800, or 100-400 for $950, or would my money be better spent jumping to a different system?

I do most of my birding with a 210mm zoom. I'd like to upgrade but you can get really far with a small zoom. "Zoom with your feet" is a very cost effective solution: sneak up on them birds. If you've got the money to burn, go for a longer zoom, but learning to tread quietly and wait for good opportunities will result in better pictures with any lens.

As for fighting autofocus, my zoom lens is the one made for my camera and I fight it constantly. It loves to find a single twig and lock onto that rather than the bird I'm interested in. Read about how your camera's autofocus works: is it a problem due to a mismatch of body/lens or is your camera just bad/confusing it? Make sure you understand the various focus modes (my Sony has several). It could just take practice and research. Also, take my advice with a big grain of salt, I manually focus all my pictures because I am insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
You got a photo of the center of the Mexican flag.