Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Call me crazy or sheltered... but I've never actually seen a humming bird with its beak open. Bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Black-crowned Night-Heron:

Little Blue Heron:

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
My girlfriend and I hit up Ding Darling this weekend (didn't rain like last time thank god). God some alright shots. This is my second trip and I'm still getting used to shooting white birds. One of these weekends I'll feel like getting up earlier and maybe I'll get some morning light.

This one was a little late as you can see by the angle, but he's still in flight drat it.

I should really invest in some software to process these. Seems a little dark and dull to me.

I would have liked to get more of his reflection, but unfortunately that's how it's framed (spot metering on center dot only for XSi).

Cropped a bit, but had to for the water drop.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Holy poo poo that's awesome. Wish I had the patience/luck that guy had.

e: After reading the article, I attribute this less to luck. He apparently saw a pattern and capitalized on it. Good for him.

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 18, 2010

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

TheCaptain posted:

drat, I don't know how I'm gonna follow that eagle shot but here's a Black-Crowned Night Heron. He's not a fatass like my previous one.

Looking good. Did you find him in a reserve or out and about somewhere?

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Holy poo poo those birds are awesome. I also don't know what kind they are... but they certainly are the death gulls for sure.

On that

Bob Socko posted:

On the top right, you have what appears to be the tail of a bird that is out of frame. If you cloned that out, I think it would improve this a little. Super cool placement. And maybe even crop that bottom right bird out of the frame. I dunno... it's pretty cool as is... but try it out.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

sensy v2.0 posted:

It must have been freezing swimming through that.

This is awesome because it looks like he's swimming through sand. :aaaaa: good work.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
I'm nearly certain it's a Brewer's Blackbird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewer%27s_Blackbird

Oh yeah... those damned Grackles. Could be that too. I lean blackbird because the only the head is distinguished to be a different color, where with Grackles the whole body tends to be iridescent. I could be wrong though... I'm very intermediate when it comes to bird spotting.

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 27, 2010

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Dread Head posted:

You can kind of see it on its back, a lot of that colour would depend on the light but hard to say for sure.

Yeah...you're totally right. I'm not an expert, and now thing it's a Grackle more then the black bird :v:

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

The Antipop posted:

:3:

Haha, that first one is great. One leg up like that just seems hilarious.

The second one looks nice, but it looks like you focused on his butt and the eyes. Could just be me though.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Good work cropping/framing these. To everyone: pictures that show where the bird is going/looking are sweet.

TomR posted:

Here are some birds, I don't know what they are:

Yay action shots! Love when the bird is actually doing something.

Those birds in the last picture appear to be Double-Crested Cormorants

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Malalol posted:

Captive birds...kinda cheating...

Not cheating :D

I'm not sure if they are cropped to cut out a leash/food dish/etc, but consider getting the whole body of the bird instead of cutting off it's wing/foot/etc.

InternetJunky posted:

First bird with my new 7D

Great shot. Those fast little fuckers are always a pain in the rear end.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Went to Ding Darling last weekend. Yay. I don't have LR or Photoshop, so I don't have a whole lot for post processing (Picasa's I'm feeling lucky is what I'm working with :hurr:)

Whillet coming in on this Ibis hoping to get a piece. Wings are a little blurred, but the eye seems to be sharp. 1/2000s and I still got blur :negative:

Click here for the full 912x650 image.

White Ibis finding a marine worm and a Willet wanting to get in that action.

A Snowy

Getting tired of this thumbnail bullshit. Little blue heron flying in.

tuyop posted:

Wow I didn't notice it before but I think this is a great shot. I'd like to buy a print of it but I have nowhere to put one for awhile. :(

I ordered a 20"x30" print from Shutterfly. The CSR's are outsorced so it's a son of a bitch to try to talk to anyone on the phone, but they have a no bullshit return policy. You don't like, you send back and get a full refund. I haven't tested it out because I was happy.

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 14, 2010

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Very cool. At first I thought it was a plover of sorts, but I second the killdeer suggestion. Good work on getting low for the bird-on-nest shot btw. (that or you have some really big glass... in which case gently caress you you rich bastard)

http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/101/_/Killdeer.aspx

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 14, 2010

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Probably a American Woodcock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Woodcock

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 14, 2010

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Anytime! I've recently become a huge bird dork (all my buddies make fun) and always hope to see a new species. This site is the poo poo though for identifying birds: http://identify.whatbird.com/mwg/_/0/attrs.aspx

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Tongsy posted:

Looks like a 400mm f5.6 is in order for me... or maybe a 300mm f4IS and an extender

I went through the same thing you did. After much thought, I picked the 400 with the crazy good AF. I don't regret it for a second. The problem with birding is that the longest lens you have is never long enough. I'm currently thinking about getting a 1.4 tc to get a little more reach (but without AF).

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Wooten posted:

I've been giving serious thought to the canon 400mm 5.6. Does the AF not work on the center point with the 1.4x? Any other complaints?

I think Tongsy got it almost correct. Cameras other then the 1D(s) line require an aperture of 5.6 to auto-focus. Once you slap a tc on this lens, you're gone past 5.6 and the AF won't function. The 1d(s) doesn't have this 5.6 requirement (I think it's a stop down), so AF will function with a TC.

Complaints... not really. Sometimes I wish it had IS and was faster, but then I remember that new it was $1200, not $2000+. Image quality is great, AF is fast, and it's nice and long :smug:.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
I don't have any bird pictures to share, but I thought I'd rub something in everyone's face.

I graduated with my undergrad comp sci degree. My parents for a present got me on a boat trip with Dr. Jerome Jackson through Ding Darling :3:. Dr. Jackson is an ornithologist biologist and an expert on Ivory Billed Woodpeckers. I can't wait to talk to him about birds :allears:

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 4, 2010

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

diarrhea for girls posted:

Haha, what a cool present! I'm definitely envious! When are you going? I expect a lot of photos from you. :arghfist:

Well the boat tour lasted like an hour and we only hit up two bird spots :(, so I didn't have a whole lot to work with. Here are some of the better ones

I need to work on my post bad.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Wow... those are great. I have never seen a bird like that before, so I'm not sure of the type. Looks like a cross between a Belted Kingfisher and some sort of heron :aaaaa:.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

TomR posted:

Is this a blue heron?

I don't know what this is:

A duck:

Another duck:

1. Yes. Great Blue Heron.
2. Black Crowned Night Heron
3. Female Blue-winged Teal Female Mallard (correction by Malalol)
4. Male Mallard.

Lets get specific with the names people :lol:

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 27, 2010

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Malalol posted:

Female mallard?

So true. Edited.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
drat... is it just me or are these pictures getting better and better? Every single Killdeer picture I've seen in here makes me jealous and hell.

I'll have contributions later... but I just wanted to get that out there.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
drat good job getting low and on the subjects level; it made for a very nice shot. I have some shots from Six Mile Slough, but none I can get to at the moment. Will edit this soon. Added below.

Also, I want a 600 bad :(

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 25, 2010

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
No worries :)

I know birders are notorious for wanting longer glass, so I might as well add this one to the pack. This was 160 feet out and is a 100% crop with a 400 f5.6. Tricolored Heron all worked up.

And my favorite, the :swoon:Green Heron!:swoon: The picture itself is pretty boring (he's not really doing anything) and heavily cropped (100%), but I just love these little guys.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Good work bud. That is some interesting plumage I haven't seen on a Great Blue Heron before. Very neat.

Went to Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary and saw the rare endangered ghost orchid that was blooming out of season along with your usual suspects. Unfortunately, it was way to far away to get a picture of with my gear. I did however get what I wanted (sorta): a Painted Bunting. This guy has been on my list for a while now, however he didn't want to sit outside the feeder, so I had to settle for this one this time. Next time you will be in the beautiful sun drat it!

Also got a Little Blue Heron getting a snack

Here's a 100% on the spider

e: added little blue heron

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 9, 2010

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
That would explain the different plumage. :doh:

Thanks for the follow up.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

VomitOnLino posted:

Another, less impressionable, pigeon.

BWHAHAHA! I like this one the most! He doesn't have quite the "what the hell" stance as the first one, but I think overall it's composed better (or there is more stuff in it). Good work.

Also, shooting white birds is a bitch.

Roseate Spoonbill. EXIF

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 6, 2011

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Gila Woodpecker- common bird but the best pic I got. they always seemed to be half-obscured by something.

Thanks for the compliments, friend. Having a subject half-obscured can sometimes add to your shots. I like the deep in the woods feel of the woodpecker :3:

Dread Head posted:

Bahama.llama - your spoonbill looks under exposed guessing due to the light colouration of it, try bumping the exposure up a bit.

Dread Head, I think you're right. I was just terrified of blowing out any of that awesome hairdo.

Here are some from this afternoon. My girlfriend and I made it out to Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary in Naples, FL. While we where there 4 Painted Buntings (3 male & 1 female) and 1 female Indigo Bunting decided to join us at the bird feeder at the same time. The feeder has a some wire around it so only the little guys can come through while the bigger ones can gently caress right off. Although birds in wire doesn't generally make for a good picture, I found the variety of color to be neat. Sadly I couldn't catch the female Painted or the female Indigo outside of the cage.

Painted Buntings are probably my favorite bird to photograph, but it's such a pain in the dick to get them doing something interesting. Just like a warbler, they fly like a bullet while changing direction every other second, making in-flight pictures extremely difficult. When you do see them sitting around, they don't sing a whole lot, so I couldn't grab any with their beak open. Thank god the colors are brilliant where sitting there is all they have to do to make a good subject.

(click for EXIF)

Female Painted on the top left, Male Painted top right, and Female Indigo bottom middle:

e:grammar, spelling, & replies

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 12, 2011

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

BeastOfExmoor posted:

White Breasted Nuthatch

This is great. I love how the line from the branch below the subject and beak of the subject are parallel and how the little 'dip' at the end of the stick is about the same length as the beak. :hfive:

Bahama.Llama- it occurs to me I don't know what this is. Is it warbler size or tanager size?

Love the buntings- I think you posted a couple of feeder shots earlier, and I like seeing the ones on natural perches. Very jealous that you have these in your yard!

They were more warbler sized. I'm nearly certain it's a Yellow-throated Vireo (geographical patterns work out well too), but my identification skills are not as good when there are so many birds that look similar.

I did indeed post one before, but unfortunately they are not at my feeder :(. We had to travel to Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary for these shots. If you ever make it down to the south-western section of Florida, consider Corkscrew over Ding Darling if you're not totally obsessed with wadding birds. Ideally go to both (check what time low tide is for Ding Darling), but consider your choices if your time is limited. (Also, give me a shout!)

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 12, 2011

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
*crap, double post*

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Althought the 100-400 is nice, I prefer the 400 f5.6 prime. I thought the faster AF and the $400 cheaper price tag was worth trading for the loss of flexibility and IS. I've been extremely happy with it and suggest it to anyone. I saved for about a year and would do it again in a heart beat. Sometimes I wish it was faster in the lower light situations, but then I keep reminding myself that it was $1200, not $6000.

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 12, 2011

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Judging from how crappy my pictures look when I forget to turn on the IS on my 70-300, I think IS is pretty much mandatory for me...

Well here's the thing: I always have a tripod with me. Always. Would hand holding a longer non-IS lens at f5.6 in overcast conditions yield blurry pictures? Absolutely. Consider borrowing a tripod from someone, turning off the IS, and see the difference. If you're still getting blurry shots, your shutter speed/apeture/ISO is probably a little to slow/closed/low and your subject is moving. It's also possible that your tripod isn't stationary, but former is far more common at the lengths we're talking about. It's a pain in the butt lugging around a tripod, but I don't have the cash for a carbon fiber tripod or a 500 with IS.

sensy v2.0 posted:

Am I stupid for thinking about getting a Sigma 120-400 for birds and wildlife? There doesn't seem to be that many reviews of it, and if the autofocus is stupid slow I might be better of looking at some Canon lens.

That depends on what kind of nature shots you're interested in taking. If you like butterflies sitting on flowers and nature sitting still for periods of time that allow the AF to work, it's a fine choice. If you want that bird in flight nature that doesn't sit still for long, consider getting glass with faster AF.

Take both of these video's with a grain of salt. The AF video of the Sigma didn't limit the scope of the AF, while the quick one I just made did. Mine isn't "real world" as it was just taking in my living room, but it should give you an idea. I haven't ever used the Sigma, so I couldn't tell you what the real-world results are. (Please forgive the shakiness. I was holding the battery door of my girlfriend's camera closed with my thumb while moving my camera and pressing the AF button.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It seems like the 100-400mm goes for about the same price used as the 400mm F/5.6 prime, otherwise I'd consider it. I also already have trouble finding birds in the trees with my 55-250mm zoomed all the way and typically have to zoom out to get my bearings. With 400mm I can't even imagine how hard that would be. The flexibility to use it at wider focal lengths and IS would be nice as well.

I'm not waiting for Dread Head to show up and get all :smug: at us with his 200-400mm F/4.

But the 400 f5.6 goes used for less then the 100-400 used. I found you get the hang of finding your subject after some usage time. Have no fear... it's not impossible.

You're right about it being nice to have the flexibility, but you have to make your own decision on what you feel like compromising on.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

MrOpus posted:

A bird thread! I just got my first DSLR about a year ago (Nikon D3000) though I have been taking pictures for awhile. One of my first purchases for it was a Nikkor 70-300mm

Pilated Woodpeckers are HUGE. I chased this bird all over the campground. She has babies in there. :3:

DAAAAAAW. Good work on this. I found a nesting family too, but they were way to far away to get any picture worth posting.

Also, that appears to be a male since he has the red patch under his eye. I believe the female has just a gray stripe there.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Augmented Dickey posted:

a duck of some sort?

Looks like a Muscovy

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Nice working getting the eyes in focus here.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

I've heard they they are actually playing with the fish to hone their skills (similar to how lion cubs sometimes play rough). I haven't actually seen it myself, but that could be because I haven't been out in ~year.

Thanks for sharing.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

You've actually captured a harder to find (in my experience) and much cooler :swoon:Green Heron :swoon:

They like to perch near the water and hunt.

Aaaaaand here's the green in the "Green Heron":

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of anyone ever photographing more than two Pileated Woodpeckers in the same tree or even immediate area. I've always assumed they are mating pairs when seen together so I'm curious who the third wheel is. Last year's chick, perhaps?...

I'm with you. I bet one of those is an adolescent. Took this one when I was out for a walk with my parents when I lived with them. Nothing spectacular, but fit the topic nicely.

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 19, 2013