Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

There is a fairywren harem in my backyard. Old mate has 4 females on the go.

They're so small so I had to crop this pretty heavily. Ignore the next door neighbor's roof in the background there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Why is it whenever you get a new lens the weather goes to poo poo?

But here are a couple shots from a Tamron 150-600 + GH4 (with a speedbooster :yum:).

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Leviathor posted:

Sibling 1

Sibling 2

These are really great. I forget how brutal birds of prey are when it's dinner time.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

that's great!

These guys have the worst call.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Moon Potato posted:

And it looks like the project I shot for the BBC is getting ready to air, too. Here's some of my footage in an editing suite with Gavin Boyland and Chris Packham:

Nice!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Wish people wouldn't let their cats roam the neighbourhood :(

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

This page... :jackbud:

Awesome shots guys!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Kenshin posted:

I took this image in May 2014 during a sailing trip. It's a juvenile male Costa's hummingbird

I'm reposting it because it just got selected to be used in an upcoming book being published by Heritage House & Seattle Audubon Society: Birds of British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest: A Complete Guide [HH/Canadian edition]/Birds of the Pacific Northwest [SAS/USA edition], by Richard Cannings, Tom Aversa, and Hal Opperman

It'll be published next year and I get a copy of the book as payment. :)

That's awesome, congrats!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I wonder what it would be like knowing that you're going to be torn apart and eaten alive in a couple of minutes?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Fairy wrens :shobon:

And this prick I can never get a decent photo of.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Thanks guys. Fairy wrens are native Australian birds, the male has a harem of females (the grey looking ones) and he only turns blue when its summer or mating season. The chicks stay in his harem until they're old enough to breed, then leave. The males are kicked out when they're mature enough to be his competition. This guy has 7 ladies/chicks/birds in his care at the moment. Mature females have that orange band across their face.

And they live in my garden :)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Oh really? That's so cool. I've noticed the male usually hides more than the females/baby birds, but when a magpie or predator flies by he has a different alarmed call and they all disappear into a bush and stay in silence.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

That's unreal!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Moon Potato posted:

My two biggest gripes about shooting birds on the D800 are autofocus performance and frame rate. The D750 improves on both of those. How much is the D500 going for in Canada?

Edit: birds.

hummingbird-bee by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Unreal! :cool:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Australasian pipit.

Australasian pipit, cleaning.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Kenshin posted:

I like my Tamron 150-600 but don't love it.

I started off that way, but the more I used it the more I got the hang of it. It's not as sharp at 600 though, which is my only complaint.

And I also need to get rid of my D600 and grab a D750. Those last 2 shots I posted were taken on a D750 with the 150-600, and the sharpness and blacks completely trump my D600. But, :homebrew:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Well, I started out loving it, but the more used to it I get the more issues I find I have with it, and all the complaints I have are (from reviews) not present in the Nikon 200-500.

It's not very fast to focus, I've already had to send it in to get fixed by Tamron once (the focusing motor stopped working consistently) and even after the fix it occasionally still makes funny noises while focusing. I also just don't find it to be all that sharp below f/8 in most cases unless I'm at less than 500mm.

Ah I see, yeah I haven't had any focus issues or anything like that. But you're right it does look like rear end over 500 and 600 with anything over 12 feet away. But from 150-450 its fantastic.

It is still a great lens for the price though.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Finally got a couple of decent shots of the male superb fairy wren that lives in my garden/street.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Here are more fairy wrens from my garden. It's out of breeding season so the male is no longer that gnarly blue/aqua colour, but is now instead drab grey.
Sorry to keep posting fairy wrens, but I really find them fascinating. It's that harem lifestyle I think

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Willie wagtails are little shitheads.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Moon Potato posted:

I love it. Great grouse shots too, Lek.

The weather has been pretty miserable this week, but I managed to get in a walk at Arcata Marsh yesterday before it started raining again. Mallard ducklings are all over the place.

ducklet by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Sculpins are showing up all over the wetlands, and the wading birds are loving it.

egret-sculpin3 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

sculpin-snack by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A Common Loon is visiting one of the ponds.

loon-bath3 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I got in about an hour with the Wood Ducks this evening before I got rained out. I'm still not seeing any of them flying off to nesting sites, but they're courting pretty aggressively.

wood-duck-squeak by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

So good!

Here's a couple of rainbow lorikeets.

And an emu.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah wicked shots guys!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Spring in Australia means it's fairy wren season :)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

There's been a family of fairy wrens that's lived in my parent's garden for years now. I always try and get some shots whenever I visit.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Unreal!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Couple of shots with my GH5 and Olympus 40-150 f2.8 (with teleconverter). Not bad, still learning the new setup, but so far I'm happy.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Couple rainbow lorikeet shots. They have a tongue like a swimming pool cleaner. Considering that they eat a lot of nectar, it makes sense.

High on sugar water:

Really enjoying this GH5+Olympus 40-150 / teleconverter combo.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Brown honeyeater.

Superb fairy wren taking a break from controling his wenches.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

President Beep posted:

That is an awesome picture.

Thanks guys :) They're really fun to shooot since they have a real cheeky personality.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

;)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Crows are good and stuff.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

He was very happy with himself. There is a never ending battle between the crows and butcher birds on my street, and it's always a highlight to see how aggressive they can be towards each other. So far the crows have been winning.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Took the ol 150-600 out for a spin, found a crow.

toggle fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 27, 2019

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Atlatl posted:

yesss loving love rainbow lorikeets

Everyone does!

`

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

That's just unreal!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Nikon 200-500 is great. But really heavy..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

So dirty