Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Javid posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/01/19/southbound-i-75-closed-after-major-bridge-collapse/22031819/

Welp.

Is this one of those "told you so" overpasses that needed replacing anyway?

It already was replaced. They were doing demo work on the old section, apparently.

I've worked with Kokosing on 75 and know some of their excavators. This is crazy.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gonna laugh if they had the excavator with hammer attachment on the bridge while hammering away. :negative:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Semi-related but I'm sure there's a few engineers lurking/reading this thread that would like to know: Google Earth Pro is now free.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Google Hive Cars looking good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anyone else taking the PE this Friday? I'm burnt out on studying and kinda just want this poo poo to be over. I'm so hosed if I get some of the harder transportation questions in the morning. I know gently caress all about it still.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

If it's your first time taking it, don't sweat it :) Chances are you'll pass, and most people I know who passed on their first try said it was a lot easier than they expected. If you've been prepping with something like Six Minute Solutions and/or still have your old college texts and notebooks, you should be in great shape.

Let me know if you've got any last-minute transportation questions. You can shoot me a PM, too, if you want.

It is my first time, yeah. I'm mostly worrying over nothing. Picked the geotech afternoon session since that's my job and I think the only thing I'm really stumbling on still is some structural poo poo (anything related to inertia), random transportation poo poo I can't find info anywhere (vertical clearance between something and a vertical curve to name one) and some of the crazier foundation problems which I'm reviewing right now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

If it's your first time taking it, don't sweat it :) Chances are you'll pass, and most people I know who passed on their first try said it was a lot easier than they expected. If you've been prepping with something like Six Minute Solutions and/or still have your old college texts and notebooks, you should be in great shape.

Let me know if you've got any last-minute transportation questions. You can shoot me a PM, too, if you want.

Bumping this quote from last month. I passed! I genuinely thought it could go either way when I left the exam but I'm so happy I don't have to do that poo poo again (until I start working for the FS/PS next year).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not directly traffic engineering but I'm working on the deep rock tunnel connector in Indiana.

280' underground and about 150' under top of bedrock. It's awesome.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kakairo posted:

What is the tunnel for? Obviously not a subway in Indy. Water/sewage?

Bingo. It'll handle all sewer overflow so it doesn't get dumped in the rivers anymore.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

So the city I work for (Tumwater, WA) recently hired somebody to come do locates for a new fiber optic line they're laying down. Of all the symbols they could have used...

It's close enough to an actual swastika that we've gotten numerous complaints about it. They are ALL over town, too.

That's hilarious. Don't they color code utilities? White in Ohio generally means you're drilling/boring on that location.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

I just got back from Costa Rica, and I got a much more extensive taste of their road network.

I'll be typing up a full analysis once I've finished reading through my hundreds of unread emails. What kind of 4-star resort doesn't have free wifi?!

If you were in Costa Rica doing anything other than drinking Imperial and hiking volcanoes you hosed up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

drunkill posted:

Why not Yeild signs? Then it works as a roundabout. Do you have Yeild signs in the usa?

We do

(I hate sub-contractors. They did this SIX TIMES)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So in about a week or so I'll be starting a new job as a city civil engineer! I'll be helping with traffic a little bit but my focus will be on managing the ongoing construction projects and improve some of the things they're trying to do now.

I can't tell you how happy I am. The position kinda popped out of nowhere and was thrown my way and the whole process of "hey there's to job" to "here's an offer" was like 4 days and gently caress traveling out of state for months at a time ever again!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Restraint Key posted:

What would you do to fix it?

Everything I come up with ends with me saying "those loving train tracks".

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Varance posted:

This. Even automated transit buses (not rail, buses) are a pipe dream without vastly improved infrastructure and transportation funding (which we've been slacking on for 50 years).

Any day now* I'm working for a city new as their civil engineer and it's nice being on the side of construction. Pretty excited about all the poo poo I'll be doing now.

*once enough bridges collapse

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

It's just crazy enough to work! Reminds me of an interchange someone proposed waaaaay back in the thread that looked like a giant toilet bowl - all vehicles entered on the outside, spun around counterclockwise, and then exited in the middle.

For all the crazy buildings being built in Dubai, it saddens me that the roads are super boring and don't have any crazy poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Varance posted:

gently caress it, let's just do both!

This triggers me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm in Ohio so concrete roads are pretty bad to have. I'm in the process of starting the prep work with the city engineer to redo pretty much our entire street program / materials specifications and a ton of other poo poo.

Turns out when a city doesn't really have a testing budget contractors get away with a ton of dumb poo poo. I'm hopefully going to fix that.

Also, filling applications for state and federal funds is ridiculous.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That's a waste of space and I'm super jealous. I'm a month in into the new job and I'm starting to actually get an idea of our road infrastructure.

Turns out back God knows when throwing asphalt right on soil was cool. Who the gently caress needs that aggregate base?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm so glad the worst I have to deal with is the crazy lady who insists her neighbors are trying to drown her with stormwater.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just ride down the middle of both lanes and prevents anyone from using the still available lane :smug:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

We had some a big rear end rain event last year that flooded a new development's detention basin and closed some roads and generally got water everywhere. It was a mess and now there's public pushback to stop the development from expanding because it obviously is causing floods and it's badly designed and everything is terrible.

Trying to explain what a 1000 year flood is to the public is actually hard

4.5 inches in 2 hours :eyepop:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

To be fair thanks to climate change (which is in a large way influenced by the car-centric built form we've created) a lot of these 1000 year rainstorms are going to become 100 year rainstorms and so on. It's a nice cycle we got going on.

I can't imagine how Miami/Florida is handling their impending death.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

scandoslav posted:

Couple of days ago some dude flipped his car and managed to launch himself his corpse up onto a freeway sign:

Pretty impressive height imho.

Wear your seat belts, everyone. Also, I'm sure sure physics work that way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Railroad is stalling on giving us a confirmation of when they're going to close one of their crossings which is on the main road into the city and I'm suppose to let everyone know a week in advance. That was yesterday and I'm still waiting on a god damned detour plan (that they're also supposed to provide) and god this is going to be such a clusterfuck next week is going to suuuuuuxk.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Don't block the box don't block the box don't block the box gently caress you gently caress you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqXHE0WrzZA

This usually doesn't happen but there was some construction down the road which backed up traffic and people are inattentive idiots.

Drive in Puerto Rico for a week. You will learn patience or end in jail.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Devor posted:

Because every time the local engineer goes to fix it, he realizes he would have to coordinate with the railroad and he says "gently caress THAT" and moves on to an easier project.

If you're lucky, they'll fix it the next time they resurface the roadway

Edit: Railroads are an enormous pain to work with/around

I just "finished" a railroad crossing resurfacing as part of a bikeway path connector project. The railroad was a nightmare to work with.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 9, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kaal posted:

Alternatively: Close the intersection to rail traffic until they can find time to make the intersection functional and safe. :getin:

:lol: I can't imagine how much trouble we would get pulling a stunt like this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Varance posted:

This is something you figure out very early on. The employee stereotypes are also dead on.

Also, I'm slowly turning into Jerry Gergich. Somebody, send help before it's too late.

My city has a watch group (read: 1 crazy lady) that has a website where she reports on how we're being bought up by Mexican Cartels. She shows up to every single council meeting to speak about how the city manager is a big loving idiot (CM is present for all of these).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I must be blind because they look the same but then again I'm not a fonts guy. That said, I'm going to sneak into our city standards that signs should be in comic sans.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

Google's removing traffic counts and parcel data from Google Earth Pro. That's a real shame; it was pretty useful. Of course, given the amount of traffic data they collect, perhaps Google's working on a traffic count repository, including turning counts, that they could sell to interested parties. Who knows!

This is going to mess me up. I used that all the loving time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I loving love bridges. I also loving hope I never have to actually design or deal with one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Our next project is opening bids tomorrow at 10am. We have a 72 hour from bid opening cutoff for questions regarding the plans and poo poo. I have had more calls about the project in the last hour than in the previous 2.5 half weeks we advertised it.

Stop leaving poo poo for the last day, estimators :argh:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

smackfu posted:

Hawaii traffic engineering weirdness... at least from an East coast perspective.

1) So many dashed lines! I don't think they are traffic related, since they are bridging cut lines, but they sure are confusing.
https://www.google.com/maps/@21.278...!8i6656!6m1!1e1

That's concrete cross-stitching / dowel bar retrofits. I actually had a lunch and learn about them a month or so ago. They're just tying the slabs / repairing cracks.

You can also drill / drive the dowels diagonally to reduce how much you're cutting but you use longer dowels for that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Clear noise walls look pretty awesome. Which means Ohio will never use them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Please post here because that sounds hilariously bad.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly this seems like an excellent opportunity to design a hosed up mega high speed highway roundabout.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

One of the paving projects I had this year had a water main break two days after the surface course went down :negative:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looks more of a truck turnaround?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Or a "parking lot" if you live in South Philly.

What the god drat gently caress