Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EVIR Gibson posted:

Has any experienced having to get a surgery again a long time after the original one?

Now it's 5-6 years after the surgery and I am starting to find I am having more difficulties focusing on road signs. I could see for a long way after the surgery, but it's reduced now. Now, I am not all of the sudden blind but I swear I could read signs that far away a couple years back.

The doctor said that I would get the normal aging vision loss that would require the use of reading glasses, but said nothing about loss of farsight.

Going to a doc when I can find the time, but want to know if this is a "thing" for a refresh on the surgery.

Yea, there is no guarantee that you'll maintain 20/20 or better. Eyes can continue to adjust and start to regress to what they were before many years later.

Most people who have had the surgery prior will remain candidates for further surgeries (if wanted).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jd7154 posted:

How do you go about finding a good LASIK surgeon?

I went by word of mouth and recommendations from friends/family.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Aleph Null posted:

I'm 38 years old have terrible vision (-6.00 -1.25X178; -6.75 -0.75X152), astigmatism in both eyes, and a lazy eye. Should I even bother considering something like LASIK at this point?

Depends on your expectations. If you're wanting great/pristine vision I'd lean towards caution. The astigmatism can usually be corrected but you aren't that far away from the age of most likely needing reading glasses (LASIK can't correct this). Sometimes people in their 40s get the surgery and it gives them good distance vision but they immediately need reading glasses when they didn't prior to surgery.

Also, both of your eyes being that level increases the likelihood of multiple surgeries (an enhancement a year or two after the initial surgery) being necessary to achieve a nice 20/20 or better. The worse your vision is at the start the harder it is to apply the perfect amount of correction to your eyes.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Galsia posted:

Has anybody taken Diazepam (Valium) before having LASIK?

Yea, that's the standard thing to do before the surgery. I didn't feel any different after taking it but it did make me tired eventually.

I remember my doctor telling me and all his patients to not get drunk prior to the surgery (he's had to turn away many people and reschedule because of this).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

89 posted:

Does Lasek and LASIK have two totally different recovery methods? I have my LASIK scheduled for Wednesday and the idea was I could go back to work the next day.

From what I've read Lasek is more painful and has a longer recovery time.

Galsia posted:

Can anybody give me a timeline of what my recovery should be? At my checkup yesterday the surgeon said it went really well and my vision was much better than average at this stage.

It could take a week or two before you feel normal.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

89 posted:

Been 11 days since the surgery and my right eye still is having the same results. It's starting to look better, but I still can't really read anything with my left eye covered up. Seems like it has very minorly approved, but it's hard to tell. I've got another checkup on Thursday, but this happen to anybody else? I hope I don't have to have it corrected.

I didn't have that exact issue but over the course of actually the first few months one can experience different short-term oddities.

I had strange ghosting appear months after the surgery for a week or two.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Eris posted:

So at this point, I don't know. I am going to take out my contacts for 2-3 weeks and go in again for a pre-op and meet with the surgeon. At that point I'll either let him convince me to do LASIK or PRK, I guess?

The good thing is that you don't have to rush the decision. In my experience optometrists/ophthalmologists have always been more wary of elective surgeries.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Totally Normal posted:

I've met many ophthalmologists who tell me they would never ever get LASIK despite running that machine day in and day out. Their reasons mostly center on the fact that they don't know the long (15+ years) outcomes of patients who have had the procedure. I think there is some component of them seeing the 1/1000 chance of loving up and ruining a pair of eyes as well. What do you all think?

Hasn't it been done longer than 15 years now? Some people are just extremely cautious and will refuse an elective surgery.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

stratdax posted:

Now it's what, an hour to set up the machines and 18 seconds of lasering per eye, or something?

Depends on how bad your eyes are. The laser takes longer with worse eyes as it's making bigger changes. Machine setup time between patients is very quick as well. 5-10 minutes at most I'd say.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

hitension posted:

They said the recommended time for wearing the protective sunglasses outside is 4 weeks, but the nurse strongly implied I could get away with doing less-- does anyone know how long I should actually wear the protective sunglasses for?

I was told sunglasses outside for 2 weeks IIRC. I'd say it depends on your environment. If you're going to be on a scooter with the wind in your face I'd wear them a while.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

zxqv8 posted:

How the hell do people choose where to go? I don't trust my own feelings enough to give me good guidance while I listen to sales pitch after sales pitch, so what did others do to make their decision?

Friend and/or relative recommendations. And some places that do optometry/ophthalmology also do refractive surgeries. And some people don't care and will go to the closest place.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dantheman650 posted:

Am I lucky or are worsening of vision and pain more delayed problems?

I've heard that LASEK can have more fluctuations in the early going.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Does anyone have an opinion? If I do this and don't like it I can go back anytime in the first year and get a touch up, so it wouldn't be more out of pocket, but the most convenient thing either.

That approach is done more commonly for those around your age and into the 40s. If you want to delay the need for reading glasses as long as possible it's probably a safer short-term bet to go with that method. As an example I know some who've had the surgery in their 40s and had immediate great distance vision after the surgery but had to start using reading glasses when they never needed them before.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lelorox posted:

Anyone have any experience doing this with an astigmatism in one or both of their eyes?

Yes, I did and it's usually not a problem for the surgeons.

Lelorox posted:

Does it make sense to get it done here before I go back to the US in 6 months, or just wait till I'm settled in one place and suffer the higher fees.

I'd have it done at one place where you'd be settled so the same person would be doing it if you needed a touch up etc.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

zxqv8 posted:

I guess 29 going on 30 is a very good time to do this?

Yes, that's good because your eyes shouldn't be changing drastically anytime soon.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tannin posted:

Is LASIK an acceptable substitute for PRK and does this seem legit?

It usually is and it depends on the person. Some are only candidates for certain kinds of surgeries.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

leidend posted:

I'm a bad sleeper - anyone hosed up their surgery by rubbing too much?

The first week or two things could get messed up but it doesn't happen frequently because people are usually careful about it. The rare complications (caused directly by the patient) are due to not using the drops diligently and getting infections. So don't jump in a hot tub or a river/lake soon after the surgery.

hitension posted:

Sometimes now, months after my surgery, I'll rub my eyes a bit too hard and my vision will go blurry for a few moments before correcting itself, does anyone else get this?

I also want to know if it's OK to wear an eye mask when sleeping. I live in an area with a lot of light pollution.

You'd have to rub really hard or scratch your eye in a freak accident to dislodge the flap months after the surgery. A mask wouldn't be an issue.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

leidend posted:

I can read an entire eye chart with both eyes now, not even 24 hours later. Glare from screens etc is not great yet and near sighted news actually seems worse, is that normal?

After my first surgery I found some things to be bright for a week or two so I actually wore sunglasses while watching TV/computer on and off.

It can also take a week or two for your eye muscles to adjust to focusing on close things as well.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Veinless posted:

For anxiety what is commonly given? Ativan? I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

Xanax is commonly given. It wouldn't surprise me if Ativan was as well as those two are substituted for one another frequently.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Flannelette posted:

I guess it depends on the prescription/eyes/type of eye error, mine corrected to about the same as my glasses but I imagine I could get a finely tuned lens to make it even better.

Yea, it depends on a great many things and no two pairs of eyes are identical. "Vision" has many different meanings (not just acuity). Some see better with glasses and some see better with contacts for various reasons. Some have eye issues that cannot be fixed with surgery.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lolcano Eruption posted:

So four years after my "wavefront lasik" procedure, I'm OD -0.5 and OS -0.75. Should I be worried?

Was this gradual or more sudden?

Also, how old are you?

Have you just had one surgery on both eyes?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lolcano Eruption posted:

I'm 25 years old, and I've only had it done one time. My optometrist friend bet me $100 that I would have to get glasses again within three years. I hope I don't lose that one.

If you had the procedure done at in the 20-22 range then I'm not surprised at all (that's on the young side to have the surgery). Eyes never stop changing and they can change a great deal in the 20-30 age bracket.

So you're most likely due for an enhancement if you're a candidate. Or you could wait a few more years if you can get by in your current state.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

San Fransisco is expensive.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

legsarerequired posted:

Is that the type of thing I would have to be careful about?

Not after a few months.

legsarerequired posted:

Or is it more like direct jabs into the eye?

Yea, I do remember LASIK was not recommended for boxers or other contact sports where getting hit directly in the face was common.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

I'm having the procedure done in a few weeks and the LASIK clinic is offering $350 for lifetime touchups (IF required) after the first year. Should I go for it? 29 years old with stable prescription.

Maybe (depending on your eye stats right now). Some need second (or more) enhancements long-term. What is your prescription?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

I believe it's around -2.25 ~ -2.75

That's not terrible. I can't imagine it costing much more than $350 even if you did need touchups in the future.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ProSlayer posted:

Also, anyone have experience with Lasik and working at a job where you stare at a computer screen for most of the day?

Yea, it'll depend on how bad your prescription is. If it's really bad and you've worn glasses a long time it could take a few weeks for your eye muscles to adjust to where you're reading everything fine for hours at a time.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Your eyes can still be fluctuating for months afterwards. Not sure exactly what you mean by 95% and 80%.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Dunno if anyone is still reading this thread, but I went to the eye doctor today since I was told like six months ago that my eyes were degrading and Lasik wasn't a possibility until they had stabilized. I'm 32.

Well the doctor told me they had stabilized enough for me to get the surgery, but due to my astigmatism (I have like -4.50/-3.75), being glasses free is not a certainty.

My eyesight is bad enough that I can get some of the cost covered, so it wouldn't be a massive financial drain, but ...would it be worth going through if I'm not sure it'll actually do the job? I figure it's good to have better eyes regardless, but I don't know...

Your old enough that your eyes should be stabilized for the most part (at least the most they can be expected to). At that -3 to -5 range (or worse) it's possible a second surgery would be needed later to correct the eyes further (within a year or two after) to get them in that 20/20, 20/15 range.

Nobody can give you a 100% guarantee either way as no two eyes are identical.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I had an astigmatism in both eyes and was -7 in each. I got Wavefront LASIK almost two years ago and I can still see. The only difference I've noticed is my eyes are more sensitive to dry air, but that may be because I was so used to a nice moist protective barrier of contacts for so long and maybe this is normal.

Yea, my eyes get a little drier also in the winter and I never wore contacts.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

It's been about 3-4 years since I had LASIK done, I was -9.00 in each eye with a little bit of astigmatism.

Anyway, my vision was never 20/20 afterwards but I could legally drive without glasses and it never really bothered me. We weren't expecting 100% results because of how bad my vision was and how thin my corneas were. But lately I've been squinting a ton trying to see the score if a game is on TV or even at the computer, and when I drive I can't read street signs until I'm pretty close to them. So I've made an appointment with the eye doctor to go get checked out and see what my options are.

Yea, at -9 in both eyes it'd be really hard to get you to maintain close to 20/20 with one surgery.

Depending on your age/eyes a second surgery would likely be a lot more precise as I'm sure you're seeing far better than -9 right now.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Revolutionary New Procedure Could Replace Reading Glasses
https://gma.yahoo.com/revolutionary-procedure-could-replace-reading-glasses-171037390--abc-news-wellness.html

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zochness posted:

I'm a stomach sleeper which isn't ideal, anybody have tips for sleeping the first week after? I'm thinking about using tape, at the very least I hope it wakes me up if the goggles fall off.

Ideally the week after the surgery you're just supposed to lie on your back. The goggles usually don't work right otherwise.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Wile E. Toyota posted:

...it just seemed like a couple people in this thread were reporting that their near vision was worse right after surgery, and I assumed they weren't in their 40s.

That's usually because it takes eye muscles a couple of weeks to adjust if you've been wearing glasses for years.

Wile E. Toyota posted:

My last eye exam was 2 years ago, and I brought my prescription in to my LASIK consultation/exam. They didn't mention whether it had changed in those two years. Would they have said something if it did? I guess I could call them and ask.

It's likely they've changed slightly based upon your age but you'd have noticed if they changed drastically.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kylra posted:

It's just that I can't focus within 2-3 inches of my face now. It's a matter of focal distance and how far you can flex the lens in your eye. The "center point" of the range you can focus on changes is the best way I can describe it in simple terms, but that also means you can focus farther out better. And that hasn't really improved in the months since the surgery.

It used to be I could read a book if I put my nose all the way into the spine so my eye was almost touching the page. I'll take being able to see clearly much farther than I ever could with glasses over seeing clearly the 2-3 inches in front of my face.

I don't think I was ever able to do it at 2-3 inches. With or without glasses.

I have seen people staring at their iPhones like they were texting using their eyeball though.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

goku chewbacca posted:

She's now scheduled with Dr. Thomas S. Boland,M.D. for LASIK (with an IK), iLasik or IntraLASIK branding with an IntraLase machine. Looking over their website, there's mention of Wavefront Custom Vision Correction (VISX® CustomVue™), but I'm not sure that's what she's scheduled for. Is Wavefront Custom something she should insist on?

It's not something you have to insist on. People are generally happy with any form of LASIK these days. CustomVue will be a little more $$$ if that's not what's already scheduled.

goku chewbacca posted:

The Dr. did say that there's a slightly reduced chance of achieving 20/20 the first time because of her severe prescription but that they could do it again in 3-6 months if it's not perfect. Something about it being safer to err towards under-correction from her current poor vision rather than overcorrecting and removing too much cornea tissue.

Yea, at the -10/-11 range I'd expect a very good chance of wanting to go back for an enhancement in the short-term (within a couple years). I'd probably wait the full twelve months if possible to get the free enhancement.

goku chewbacca posted:

Does all of this seem right? Price and time for corrections and aftercare are typical?

Within normalcy yea.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

nickhimself posted:

If I'm completely new to this and would like to search for reputable, well-established providers of this service local to my area, what should I be looking for?

A place that has some experience and that has been around for a little bit of time.

The only people I've heard about who've had major issues were those who went for free LASIK from someone just starting out.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 29, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dazerbeams posted:

And the halo side effect I've read about, is that permanent or temporary?

Kind of both. The night vision issues are generally dependent on how large your pupils can get. Bigger pupils = more issues at night.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

rizuhbull posted:

So Lasik has no effect?

At your age it's highly unlikely you'd lose close vision ability.

If someone in your situation was in their mid to late-40s or older there's a much higher chance they'd need reading glasses after LASIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mantle posted:

I want to do Lasik or another surgical correction this year. Could people that have done it 2 5 or 10 years ago share some stories? I'm wary of 100% of post operation stories being positive because of the initial excitement

I had both eyes done in 2006. I had bad vision before any surgery (-6 to -8 range) so the doctor told me that an enhancement might be necessary but to wait at least a year. In 2007 I had both eyes done again as my distance vision had regressed a little and then my vision was great for two years. Then my left eye regressed a little so that in late 2009 I decided on another slight enhancement. On this second enhancement as it was healing it got what's called an epithelial ingrowth. So a month later they had to open the flap again and remove the cells that were growing wildly (and irrigate). It was a quick and simple process. They resealed the flap and things healed properly.

Since ~2012 I've noticed my right eye regress a little bit (but very slowly) for distance vision. I could go in and get another enhancement but it hasn't really been a high priority as I can see most things fine.

All eyes continue to regress so if you want great/perfect vision 24/7/365 then glasses/contacts are the safer option as you can keep tweaking them week to week and month to month.

Mantle posted:

Are eye drops and fatigue something that you have to deal with the rest of your life?

I use drops sometimes in the winter when the heater makes things really dry. Otherwise not so much.

edit: Since the surgeries two things have changed post-glasses. I wear sunglasses more and sometimes my eyes are tired after a long day.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 6, 2017

• Locked thread