Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bartok posted:

Who was the first heel you cheered for and who was the first face you booed?

First heel was Ric Flair, but it was in a match where he basically turned face at the end (WrestleWar '89 against Ricky Steamboat, with Terry Funk losing his mind and attacking him afterwards) and I was cheering both guys.

I took a long gap from wrestling and when I started watching again I was cheering heel Bret and booing face HBK, mostly because Bret was my favorite as a kid and Shawn Michaels seemed like he was really being a dick to a cool dude like Bret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

As far as booing faces? I legit couldn't tell you. I mean I definitely booed Hogan but only during the WM VI main event because I was a huge Warrior mark but other than that I don't know.

Oh poo poo yeah how could I forget that, I was definitely one of those little Hulkamaniacs who suddenly found myself going,"Wait, why is Hogan being such a dick?" after he was shown as being part of the committee that decided Warrior couldn't be both the World Champion and the Intercontinental Champion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gavok posted:

I wanted Undertaker to win the poll because I was so anti-Flair and figured that none of his tricks would work on a guy who couldn't feel pain.

Perfect kid logic, I love it :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

Lesnar/Punk at Summerslam 2013

This match really was incredible, probably the last truly great match of Punk's WWE career? I recall he did some stuff with Bryan towards the end which was good but nothing quite on the level of that Lesnar match.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Night of a thousand Stings is super fun to watch and should be watched at least once a year.

Hell loving yes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

IF BRET THE HITMAN HART....HAD ANY GUTS....AND HE WALKED DOWN THAT AISLE TONIGHT, STARED ME IN THE FACE LIKE A MAN, I'D SAY "HITMAN - I FOOLED YOU ONCE, AND I'LL FOOL YOU AGAIN"

BECAUSE BRET

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

He fooled me, he fooled me and I believed. I completely, 100% believed.... :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7DOcHRgQMo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Genericide posted:

What are some good matches with a guest referee?

Bret Hart vs. Undertaker at Summerslam 1997 with Shawn Michaels as guest referee is a particular favorite of mine, because Shawn plays such a pivotal part in the ending in a way that services two ongoing storylines (and helped launch a third, as it lead to the debut of Kane at the end of the follow-up match between Taker/HBK).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Q_res posted:

Didn't Hogan try like hell to get his win back on Brock, but WWE was smart enough not to let Hogan anywhere near him?

I believe he agreed to the clean loss on the expectation he would get to have his win back later.

It was basically the flip side of that Hogan/HBK thing where it was supposed to be two matches with a win for each of them, which (from memory) became Hogan wanting a clean win in both, which then turned into a single match where HBK threw one of his old style tantrums and just turned the thing into a complete comedy match. Only in this case, they let Hogan think he'd be getting his win back but then just abandoned the feud once they'd gotten what they wanted from him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Randaconda posted:

It was even funnier since HBK had played politics basically forever, then he got schooled by the master.

Shawn had basically gotten away forever with Vince siding with him over everybody else so it was kinda hilarious that he ran headfirst directly into The Great Orange Goblin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh it was so good, Velveteen Dream decided he wanted a shot at Black who just completely ignored him/considered him so completely inferior that it wasn't even worth learning/saying his name. Suffice to say that Dream freaked out about this lack of respect and became obsessed with proving Black wrong. When they finally fought they had a hell of a match which Black eventually won, but afterwards he finally deigned to acknowledge him and say his name and the crowd went loving nuts like Dream had just won the main event of Wrestlemania.

It was so, so, so cool. I had hoped that Dream/Black might have actually played around with the idea of being a tag team in one of the Dusty Classics or something but nothing more ever really came of it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 16, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kairi Sane

:sigh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

On the other hand, watching someone sell a back rake like somebody opened the window on Dracula is fun.

This is the most perfect description I have ever read of selling a back rake and I want to frame it and hang it in a museum.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What happened to Puder anyway? I recall him being used pretty well character wise on his arrival in ROH where they played up the perception of him as an arrogant dude but I don't think anything really came of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Price Check posted:

Not exactly what you're looking for, but the two Sin Caras did have a match to decide who got to keep the gimmick.

Isn't the guy who lost that match the current Sin Cara?

Edit: And the guy who lost went back to Mexico and fought a guy who had taken his old gimmick while he was gone, beat him... but then he changed his name anyway and let the other guy keep the old one?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, big shows tend to get their own thread, the smaller shows like the "Road to..." shows usually just get posted about in the main NJPW thread.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I forgot all about him, dude seemed to have a ton of charisma and was a natural fit for wrestling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DroneRiff posted:

So I'm gettig back in to wrestling again after a long rear end break (10+ years) and even watching old PPVs on WWE network (I know, I know) ia reminding me how much I love slam-persons stuff. And also how much I enjoyed watching non-WWE stuff.

I'm wondering what I should be checking out, especially in Japanese stuff and the best way to watch it (happy to pay for subscripton service, etc). Lookijg to watch classic stuff and modern stuff. UK based if that matters.

I watched a chunk of the big stuff that was popular at time amont fans of Japanese stuff (Misawa/Kawada matches, Best of the Super Juniors, best of Liger, etc). I'm up for watching most things that a fan of those might, from spotfest/headdrop-fests to "5 star classics". Hardcore stuff I can get from ECW shows, so that's probably the only style I'm not looking for.

In addition to what others have noted, given you are UK based you may be interested in New Japan doing a Royal Quest show in London at the end of this month (there will also be an NXT UK Takeover show on the same night in Cardiff) and both shows are probably gonna be really good though the New Japan show seems to have more excitement around it at the moment.

With New Japan's streaming service, be aware that Japan's system is to bill on the 1st of the month regardless of when you sign up, so if you sign up today then one the 1st of September you'll be immediately charged for another month.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Coaaab posted:

Ooooh, here's an interesting flashback question w/ detailed responses to it if you click back:

Jerusalem posted:

How would a company rise up to compete with WWE? Apart from all the things mentioned, they'd also need to have an utter and unshakable commitment to probably at least a decade of slow building if not more till they had the fundamentals of their business down/established wrestlers/established fanbase and then they would have to take maddeningly small baby steps to acclimatise themselves to the growth in popularity of their company over the period of another half decade or so and THEN they might be in a position to start perhaps competing with WWE.... which would probably already have noticed them and started cherry-picking their talent by that point.

Given that 95% of would be promotions seem to start on the basis of,"WWE is huge now and I assume it just started up that way, let's also be huge immediately because I am not a good businessman!"..... welp.

Well gently caress, I never once considered for a moment that WWE itself would just make itself so mindnumbingly dull that they'd create the conditions for a company to be seen as a viable alternative with the potential to grow (relatively) quickly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

davidbix posted:

Does anyone have old WWF.com/WWE.com videos saved that disappeared in redesigns? Byte This and Code Red episodes, exclusive promos, footage from WWE's "insurance" camera when they rebutted mainstream pieces, the "Mr. McMahon and His rear end" cartoon, etc? Their version of the John Cena CNN clip is on YouTube, and there may be a bad phone-shot copy of a cartoon episode, but that's about it as far as I've seen. There's a LOT of interesting stuff that's vanished, like Vince's uncut Outside the Lines interview, Vince announcing drug testing in a talent meeting with Kurt Angle freaking out, Terry Funk's "Satchel rear end" promo, all sorts of stuff on the web shows, etc.

Dammit, poo poo like this is why even now I haven't gotten rid of my old lovely vhs rips of Raw and Smackdown, since I always figured there would come a point where they'd start memory-holing episodes/segments. But of course I never kept any of the miscellaneous stuff like this. I imagine it's still all in their archive at least, but that doesn't really help.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

What am I missing about NXT UK? It's a good show with good matches and storylines. Why all the hate?

I don't hate it, in fact when I watch it I enjoy it, but there's already too much WWE stuff in a week, I have to make an effort even to watch NXT let alone NXT UK (or poor 205 Live).

Edit: That said, the UK scene was apparently really picking up steam when WWE came in and announced a UK division, and there were plenty of people who warned that this was just going to be a repeat of when Vince finished off the territories by buddying-up and then poaching all the talent, breaking agreements to let them work in other places and letting the pre-existing promotions shrivel and die. At least a couple of the UK guys went out of their way at the time to say that WWE being there was to everybody's benefit and anybody who claimed otherwise was being paranoid or had a bug up their rear end about WWE. Then WWE started changing up the agreements they'd made to let wrestlers work in other places and pre-existing promotions had a struggle to keep from shriveling and dying.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 15, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I find WALTER interesting in that if I recall correctly he only agreed to sign with WWE on the proviso that he would ONLY be on NXT UK and he wouldn't have to go to America and work there, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WALTER vs. Ishii :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

His first appearance was endearing because he was this goofy Russian dude they interviewed in the crowd (as a wrestler) who declared,"I LOVE DOUBLE DOUBLE E!" but when they got around to introducing him as a regular member of the roster he was a very serious character with a good look who didn't really have the skills or experience to go with it. After awhile hanging roughly around the mid-card they decided to team him up with Santino as a comedy character which worked better in concept than execution. I literally do not remember when or why he left which probably says a lot about his run in WWE, really.

He seemed to be a nice guy that everybody liked who had a good look and a fair amount of potential but never really fully realized it. How much of that was WWE's fault and how much was him just not quite having it I couldn't say, but I have relatively fond memories of him as a low-card/mid-card guy who at least had enough of a character to stand out from the generic looking dudes around him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Randaconda posted:

On the new Hot Ones episode, Austin tells a story of making GBS threads all over himself during a match with Yoko in South Africa. :allears:

That episode is so great, Austin pausing for a moment like the heat has gotten to him before revealing he's actually checking his pulse was :discourse:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wasn't there something that came out in financials or something showing that WWE was still paying Austin a (pretty hefty) salary basically to guarantee he wouldn't go do appearances anywhere else?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've always loved that HBK gif, especially the old dude losing his loving mind wanting to jump the rail to fight him, but I've somehow never noticed the black guy laughing his rear end off while restraining him before :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I'll never get over how loving cool this song is.

♪ God made the devil, just for fun
But when he wanted the real thing, he made AJA KONG! ♪

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy gently caress that theme :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Cameo posted:

pretty sure the only thing that could make Suzuki's life any better is if he woke up tomorrow and the world was just One Piece

Hell, same.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jaded Burnout's recent post made me think (not for the first time) it might be a good idea to reboot this thread. I could just update the OP, but I think this one is old and big enough now that it's daunting to any new users and a new one would be a good idea.

My question that doesn't deserve its own thread is what kind of info would be good to have in the OP: stuff about the Network, about the major promotions, what commonly asked questions that should be covered, links to major things like the steroid scandal, the Benoit murder/suicide, WWE covering up for a pedophile etc. If we can put together a consensus list of handy things, I can make a new thread (and link this one in it as an archive) and close this one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was often treated as more of a legitimate athletic competition, more grounded and sports based (they also had plenty of batshit insane nonsense as well, don't get me wrong!) as opposed to the very cartoony style of WWF at the time. All the soap opera elements were there as well, but they generally at least tried to make it look like more of a heated fight between guys who really disliked each other.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm putting together the OP for the new thread and am adding a section for how to access various different promotions for viewing. The obvious ones are the WWE Network and New Japan World, as well as AEW's show on TNT, but can people offer some links for other promotions and how to view them, stuff like DDT, Stardom, AAA, CMLL, DragonGate etc - I am putting this all together myself at the moment but I'm sure there are things I will miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Farewell old thread you lived a long good life and then got weird at the end and we smothered you with a pillow.