Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

He was in really bad shape that night. He never officially retired and likes to keep his options open so yeah, it's not that. It seems like it's a combination of health, ego and the price being right. He's said he could do a full time schedule as recently as a few years ago although he obviously never would. Despite that it sounds like he is susceptible to reinjury in his neck and can't take too many risks. He has a high standard for his matches so he doesn't want to come back and do a bad match. He also isn't going to work cheap so he's been in some ways blocked in recent years because WWE was never going to pay for Rock and Austin on the same show and this year there was nothing he was interested in. I think the only thing that gets him out of retirement these days is the Brock match he's said he might be interested in.

I would have the same concerns for him against Brock that I did for Taker against Brock. Which turned out to be accurate, and it was never about Brock being unsafe, but at some point a body gets too old to handle the physical style that makes a good Brock match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

I think Brock is super safe and was as "gentle" as he could be with Undertaker to deliver repeated F5s, but I agree I don't think that's a great option for a 50 year old Austin. Fingers crossed for the working man if that ever happens.

You absolutely can't blame Brock for the simple fact that bodies get old. He was more than safe and admirably finished that match when Taker was basically out on his feet, I don't want to see that happen again.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Remember when HHH slapped him really hard and he didn't do anything about it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Foley's always come off as doing right with the business of putting guys over as much as possible. He also often seems weird, petty and desperate. I guess he's harmless in the end.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Thauros posted:

Huh, which ones? What happened when WWF/E ran shows there when Taker was a regular?

Taker would intimidate them into backing off.

I don't think WWE is regulated by state athletic commissions.

E - Wow, I googled and apparently pro wrestling has a lot of run ins with those guys.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 22, 2014

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I thought he started seeing Kat when she was 15 or something. I'm not googling lawler's life to confirm though who has time for that.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Orton was good when they told him to speed up his delivery so he wouldn't get chanted over all the time, and it worked, but that lasted only a few weeks iirc. Don't know anything about Morrison.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

So here's a question, I recently told my parents that I'd gotten back into wrestling. When I was a kid my parents would watch it with me, we'd use to watch 1999 and 2000's WCW and they have a passing interest in wrestling. They don't really think/understand how the product has moved on since then though, what could I show them (promo/video package/match) to convince them or at least show them otherwise. I feel like the Pipebomb might be a good example but that needs a good lot of context beforehand.

Shield matches, any random Shield matches will do. They're all pretty good. If I had to pick one, show the first Wyatt/Shield match and the packages leading up to it (if there were any).

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
He was mentioned by the guy who asked the question.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I enjoyed the Last Ride. It always looked like attempted murder and plus mixed in the humiliation of a mega-wedgie.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Spikeguy posted:

What do you think was the biggest/greatest Wrestlemania match? To me, it has to be a match that lives up to the hype of the event and of the competitors.

If I had to pick one to defend on merit it'd be one of the Taker/HBK/HHH series, or a Rock-Austin.

But, my gut answer is probably always going to be Hogan/Warrior at WM6.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

This is pretty much the pinnacle of big shocks, I'd say, with or without the internet. VERY few people in the company knew about it, and almost literally nobody in the entire world actually expected it. Brock was just another hurdle and people were saying "Yeah yeah, they're promoting it like Brock can do it, but they'll never in a million years give that honor to a part-timer." You know how big a shock it was because it made headlines in completely unrelated media. The silly part was the non-fans saying "Well it's fixed so I don't know why it's a surprise" without the context of fixed results being exactly why nobody thought they'd actually do it after 23 years and 10+ years of heavy promotion that nobody could ever break it. I don't know if I've ever seen such a big surprise in wrestling have such an impact in mainstream media.

Between that and the Warriors dying, that was almost two weeks of people in the mainstream media talking pro wrestling -- and every show would have some guy come on who sheepishly admitted to watching it, and try to put everything in context. And he'd always be someone who pretends to not know as much as everyone knows he knows. 'Um yeah I think Undertaker used to be like, a zombie character at one point.' Fucker you know exactly what he was at every point, you have all the DVDs and we know it. Own your horrible expertise.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I just want to be clear that what is happening is that we are arguing about why people argue about ratings.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

Bork Laser was from Youtube. Someone posted a video of Brock beating up Zach Gowen, but Youtube kept taking it down for copyright, so he kept reposting under increasingly obscure/misspelled names like "Borck Lensar beats up Zakk Gown" until finally it was something like "Bork Laser beats up one leg man". He did a similar thing later on for Punk which was "Bork Laser beats up CM Pepsi".

And Jake the Sanem was a legitimate typo. Someone was trying to type 'snake' and it came out 'sanem' and we nearly died.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
The one where Christian jumps over the top rope to the ground to slap his opponent. Dont know why I always hated that one.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
David Arquette was in a wrestling movie that had a bunch of WCW stuff in it around that time, so it was a tie in promotion type of deal, not a completely random celebrity - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217756/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_54

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

projecthalaxy posted:

Has there ever been a really amazing/legendary face manager? I was thinking of this and all the all-time great managers I can picture (Heyman, Heenan, Cornette, Blassie, and so on) almost always were heels, or were their best as heels. The biggest I can think of that I 100% identify as a face would be Miss Elizabeth. Wasn't Albano usually a heel?

Paul Bearer was just as good speaking for a face Undertaker as a heel. But the alignment tree of Taker/Kane/Bearer is so tangled, it's hard to think of any of them as more heel or face.