Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Living Vicariously posted:

Wasn't this all when Shawn had a gently caress ton of influence backstage, though? I imagine a lot of the concept of getting the belt on him was simply Shawn whispering in Vince's ear the whole time.

Probably part that and the fact i don't think vince at the time wanted HBK to then walk out a couple of months later.

Ignoring hindsight I can see why vince would be more intrested in keeping shawn happy at that point than bret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Sugar Blaster posted:

I want to say WWE have already acknowledged him a few times, but I can't cite specifics.

That enclopedia of wrestling had him mentioned. But I don't blame wwe for not mentioning or promoting him he would be a media shitstorm just cause the media love to tear down wwe and wrestling.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Wasn't he due to beat trips during THAT fued but once goldberg was coming in they nixed it and he just looked awful.

King Booker was an amazing end for his wwe run although i'd love for him to come back at the rumble even if its for one night.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Lashley left as he was dating one of the divas who got canned for not agreeing to be involved with a storyline. Think the story involved that teddy long wedding.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Sue Denim posted:

Was Smackdown always intended to be the b - show?

Yes, RAW will always be WWE A show in their eyes. even though theres been priods the stories/wrestling was better on smackdown.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Yes, Alberto is an honest man though so they'll just give him the kids.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

DDP debut was the best because the crowd was going nuts and jr was trying to sell us on ddp being a heel and a sicko.

DDP apparently got shafted as he couldn't sell a comeback as a heel apparently at least thats what lance storm said on his last shoot interview.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Quantrill posted:

Anyone have info about the "groundbreaking" announcement the WWE will make in Mexico tomorrow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT9JbgT_JTs

That won't be it but would be awesome if they called a PC just for JR to spout that.

Opinion seems to be something to do with mistico.

The Croc fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 23, 2011

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Captain Charisma posted:

Also it's really shocking that Edge is almost 40. I mean, it makes sense, but he looks very young for his age.

Its crazy when you think hes been in the WWF/E for like 13 years now and I remember his first match on shotgun or metal or whatever there saturday morning jobber show was called at the time.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Alex Riley joking about his DUI on the slammy raw. Admittedly it was a one off comment but still classless.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

No, actually the biggest thing I miss about the Monday night raw stuff was all the news on tuesdays about the backstage shinanigans in wcw. Every week there was a fight/something going on backstage.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Then you can video him coming out his house going

omg my house, Goldberg, GOOOLLLLDDDDBBEERRRGGGG, GOOOLLLDDDBBEEERRRGGGG

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Reminds me of when Orton just began busting out Angle slams mid match as regular moves and kurt went crazy about it and used an rko to boo's

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Gonz posted:

Nothing will ever be as good as Steve Blackman's theme.

Nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwNiQg6SdXY

Is still the best regardless of what you think of him once that theme hit you knew it was rear end kicking time.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Can anyone recommend some good brodie lee matches/promos i'm intrigued on if hes any good or just another big guy getting by on being a big guy wwe/nxt wrestler.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Minidust posted:

Was WH2K/PSP around back in 2004? I'm just trying to imagine the climate of the gameday thread for the Wrestlemania 20 main event. The sense of utter disbelief at that final shot must've been palpable.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=956385

if you have archives there's the thread. Was in regular sports forum back then. Think psp came around 2006ish

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite part of this is somebody provides a link to a torrent of a special documentary on Wrestlemania and the reaction is,"A GIG!?!" :laugh:

Its preposterous expecting people to download a whole gig!

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Didn't he out himself by doing a cranky vince post in his alex greenfield account at somepoint last year.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Given how much of a financial impact mania has I don't think WWE will take 50k+ seats off the gate for the MSG tradition. Cowboys stadium is certainly one that's being thrown about.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

We'll have the new WWE champion on qvc or soemthing after the show.... Erm.. If we have a new champion (they had a new champion)

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

It did lead to the hilarious mini booth JR rigged up in front of the regular announce desk on an episode of raw.... But yeah Heel JR was terrible, who really wants to boo him?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Batista is about the only one I can think of who might come close.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

MassRayPer posted:

TNA in 2005 and part of 2006 was considered great. Some of 2006 is an afterglow affect of the greatness of 2005. In September 2006 Russo came back, gutted the X Division and stunk up the show with bad booking, so 2007 and 2008 are considered atrocities for the most part.

Wasn't Joe vs Angle in the 2005/06 bracket isn't that still the highest PPV buy TNA have done?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Would Rhodes and Ted vs DX count or I guess it was the Jericho/show tag team in 09? 10? Which was maybe the last time apart from the brief period last summer where the tag titles were relevant.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

He tore a muscle in his arm once during the era where hogan was about it was a week or so after his kaneinties while mimicking hogans mannerisms promo. But I don't have a time frame on that it might have been the time he returned to stop the unamericans burning the flag.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

He probably knew he'd be the fourth wheel and it was better for him to stay away from it. Plus it wasn't anything special to be in the nWo by 98 as about half the roster was in it eventually.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

He probably has been a dick to fans as he is human and Im sure those fans were harassing him when he was just trying to do normal day to day things. He will probably be a gent in an offical meet and greet.

Could just ask him who he thinks are the brightest nxt prospects.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Downside used to be 75k min but that was mid 00s with all the cost cutting ect who knows what lower talent earn these days.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Was injured has wrestled a few times in tights rather than trunks and is kinda loss in the shuffle at the moment.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Hidden Mother posted:

What was Matt Bloom's gimmick in the Prince Albert/A-Train days? He's one of those wrestlers I remember absolutely nothing about character-wise.

Prince Albert days he was a tattooist i think he may have tattoo'd a wrestler once and once only after a match. And A-Train was just big wrestle guy and nothing else. He used to hit some sweet moves on jobbers when he was on velocity/jakked/metal sometimes.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Thankfully grimes hosed up some top rope move or something and was released before that story went anywhere. I think he was only around for 2/3 weeks at the most.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

I remember renting PPV's from Blockbuster when i was about 6/7 so that would mean i started watching around 1990. I went to a house show (free tickets through a friend) in 1994. Wasn't great looking back but I got to see Bret hart and Hakushi have a very good match. Main Event was Karma vs Undertaker. So it might have been 1995? It was after the urn had been melted and Karma was wearing it as a chain. I got regualr access to WWE in 1998 (as in i got sky tv) and here we are now.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

I'd say the glass shatter gets me as its linked to some of the biggest wrestling pops you'll ever hear.

Backlash 2000 and Foleys First title win being my examples.

Yes i realize thats a little bias.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

I always thought/got the impression the person taking the move makes sure they're not flat on the canvas so they have abit of give

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

He was picked up by a truck driver who happened to have a WCW cameraman in the cab with him, we just didn't see it because the live feed back to WCW now doesn't lead anywhere.

I'd like to think the feed leads to an old style crt tv in Eric Bischoffs garage

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8H0DJRGNMs

wwe also had a team called the dicks although i think they were just meant to be chipendale rip offs.

Lance storm had a huge dick gimmick for a week when he was changing gimmicks also about every week.

Basically stuff like this is what your parents/friends who hate wrestling walk in on.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Imagine if a Terry Funk rear end biter gimmick created a wrestling boom so great all other forms of entertainment were made obsolete

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

In the crazy world of the McMahons lindas always seemed the normal, grounded one. Although apparently she was late/didn't pay what was promised to people who helped her campaigns.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Abu Dave posted:

When did WWE change from gritty low lighting style of production to the flashy overproduced look it has now?

I assume it was the start of the movement to more lighting based entrances rather than relying on expensive pyro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

I always believed it was Raven who was getting shane drunk and on drugs which is why vince wasn't happy with him.