Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I still greatly prefer Bam Bam's ringwork to the other two, but Vader was absolutely the biggest draw in this conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

My first live wrestling show was a WCW house show in Winston Salem, NC. The main event was Ric and David Flair and someone else against three nWo B-team scrubs. A few women in attendance flashed Ric, who got one of the most enthusiastic crowd reactions I have ever heard in person.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Oof, this article never gets easier to read.

I think my picks are Raven, the reasons for which could also be expanded to most of ECW's classic roster, and Randy Savage, who by all accounts was a paranoid, abusive freak. Well, and Necro Butcher since he's apparently a Trump guy now.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There was some extremely gross stuff about Raven in the sleaze thread in DVDVR. I take much, almost all, of the stuff on the list with a grain of salt, but unfortunately when people, especially women, claim that wrestlers were lovely to them, I tend to think it's true. And the stuff about Raven on that list is loving hideous.

Yeah, that. Also the numerous occasions where Raven, high out of his mind, would pull his dick out in clubs and present it to random women on the dance floor. Jericho and I think Konnan have stories about that.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

This is an odd one, but Jim Cornette's promo after his Midnight Express was attacked by Heyman's version is awesome. He gets a very genuine TV studio pop for finally telling his mother that it's about time he started fighting his own battles and it rules. Kevin von Erich getting an insane pop from a live Raw crowd and JR for putting the Claw on Rob Conway, of all people, is another go-to for me.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think it was an Old School Raw, Rob Conway had been running down legends

Yup, and here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ0wMKch-50

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

jesus WEP posted:

Idk if I saw this or jus thought it up but the coolest heel move would be interrupting a long back and forth of pinning combinations by just poking your opponent in the eyes and then doing a regular lateral press or some other lazy pin attempt

Jimmy Havoc does stuff like that.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The Cameo posted:

Benoit would punish himself with the Hindu squats, at least according to Jericho's story about him missing a spinning heel kick and bumping anyway and feeling like he'd hosed everything up because of that one botch and making himself do 1000 Hindu squats for it, which is what Jericho found him in the middle of, felt bad, started doing them with him, eventually gave up because holy gently caress a thousand Hindu squats

... And nobody went "maybe someone should teach him to fly fish or something"

The av/post combo here is fantastic.

Another factor in Benoit going insane was the fact that two of his very good friends (Eddie Guerrero and Johnny Grunge) died, and he was a middle-aged guy whose career was winding down. Even without the steroids and CTE, he would have been a powder keg, though maybe not to the same degree.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, they had the Ultimate Jeopardy matches which were War Games style cage matches, there was also the cage match at Gangstas Paradise with Mikey Whipwreck, & Public Enemy vs Sandman, New Jack & Too Cold Scorpio and at Natural Born Killaz there was an Eliminators vs Gangstas steel cage match. Think the most famous though was Gangstas vs The Dudleys from Heat Wave '97

Raven and Sandman had a few cage matches too, and Raven/Richards vs. Luna/Dreamer was in a cage as well, if I recall correctly.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Possibly unpopular opinion: the Sandman owned as a character and a lot of his matches were really fun even though they weren't good in the traditional sense.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I thought this was everyone's opinion.

That's not the impression I had at all, but I'm glad some of y'all agree with me.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jake Roberts slithering in under the ropes immediately let you know what his character was all about, which ruled. I also really liked Regal wiping his feet before getting into the ring.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The Croc posted:

1. Yes, mike Adamle, Percy watson (got more tolerable just before he left) the coach, booker t, beth phoenix, renee young (who was amazing in her previous role and didn't need this switch)

Was Don West's TNA run within the last 20 years? Christ, he was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Maxwell Lord posted:

The one hardcore thing that I always wonder about is the barbed wire. Is it usually gimmicked at all? Or do you not need to worry about tetanus if it's been kept clean? Or do they just get shots afterwards?

They file/cut the points down sometimes but that's it since apparently fake barbed wire hurts more than the real thing. Wrestlers are pretty dumb so who knows if most of them even think about tetanus.

Randaconda posted:

Just didn't think he was a big enough star, and wasn't somebody who could be brought to that level by working with him.

He was 100% right and an Austin/Gunn feud would have sucked.