Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Ainsley McTree posted:

:words: "I can do it, why can't you?" Personal Responsibility Bullshit

I'll always love people imagining they achieved their successes by themselves like some sort of Randian Ubermensch. It's not like taking government aid, or being lucky doesn't count. Anything to feel special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Nick_326 posted:

I think it's been a while since the "20 habits rich people do every day" thing was last mentioned, but I thought I'd share this:

Cracked.com editor and John Dies at the End author David Wong made a thread in order to figure out where those numbers came from:

http://www.cracked.com/forums/topic/150127/fact-checking-26quot3B20-things-rich-do-every-day26quot3B/0

Here's his reaction to finding out that it came from the guy behind it interviewing "233 wealthy individuals and 128 poor ones":

Someone else in the thread apparently emailed the douche behind this thing, Tom Corley, and got this response:

There's so much flawed poo poo in that reply I don't even know where to begin.

Isn't this the same guy who came out with that "6 harsh truths" article that blew up everywhere earlier this year? You'd think he'd agree with Corley's Just World viewpoint.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

ErichZahn posted:

Since the age of 10, my largest peer group has been Vietnam veterans. It annoys the poo poo out of me to see how Iraq/Afghanistan vets get treated. Knowing that it's unwanted makes it worse.

Also, if she's so good at research, then why is she a paralegal?

My guess is the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

inkblot posted:

I ran across quite the keeper in the wilds today! Now, judging by how old this thing is there is a high chance of it having been brought up before, but someone tried to sell me on this wonderful product - http://www.amazon.com/Worthless-Young-Persons-Indispensable-Choosing/dp/1467978302

Yes kids, read this before going off to college to learn valuable insight into picking a marketable and lucrative career path! Spoilers: it boils down to ":smug:get a STEM degree:smug:". Those fields not your forte? Pfft don't be a scrub. Happen to not be a white dude? Hope you like putting up with a lifetime of casual racism/misogyny! Bonus points for having the douchiest portrait of him on the back with a huge cigar in his mouth and the cover as a whole having absolutely no design thought put into it. I guess once we're all engineering contractors sneering at the poor we won't have the time to make our products not look like a 6th grade book report.

Cuz' you know, you should only go to college with a motivation for money. Its not like people go to college to get educated or accept that they won't be making big bucks with a Humanities degree right out of College. If anything, this is just moving the goalposts. Don't have a STEM degree? You suck. Have one, but didn't go to a high ranking school? You suck. Went to an Ivy League, got internships, but still can't find work? You still suck.

I do find it interesting some posters on here are lamenting going into STEM majors? I guess there is no easy answer anywhere.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Sir Rolo posted:

I really wonder how much of Matt Walsh's shtick is about how well he can milk being the voice of far-right millenials on the internet. It's largely uncontested territory, and he seems to be media-savvy enough to get his screeds reposted on a lot of facebook and twitter feeds.

So he's the Boondocks version of Ann Coulter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1seThIG34R8

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

They do that sort of bullshit not because it's efficient or actually a good idea, but because it allows them to control their employees' lives more.

This. Never underestimate a shift manager's petty display of power. I remember when I used to work at a pizza place while going to Community College, I used to have classes scheduled during my days off work. That didn't stop several managers from calling me in the middle of class trying to call me into work. I remember being threatened with termination if I didn't leave class that second. I've been written up for not answering my phone during class. I've had class schedules handed back to me with my manager telling me that if I didn't change it to THEIR specifications, I would be fired. Most retail/food service jobs like to treat their workers as if they're on call at all times, as if their employees live and die for McDonalds, Wal-Mart, ETC. The retail thread in BFC is full of stories like these.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 26, 2014

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

mllaneza posted:

I had a boss who kept complaining that people's scheduled would change from semester to semester. Naturally he only placed help wanted ads in the campus newspaper.

Seriously, it's scary how retail managers can be some of the most stupid people on staff. The Dilbert Principle was supposed to be satire!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Did they use the "Experience" line on you? That's literally the worst.

Isn't this the point of internships?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

BBJoey posted:

Yeah this poo poo is the most insane part to me - this isn't even an unprofitable venture. If a cable company, right now, rolled out cable to rural areas, then in 2018 they would have recouped the cost of doing so and be making a higher profit. And that's not good enough for them. They are literally forgoing increasing their income because the measures to do so would take a single president's term in office to pay off.

Tell that to the average CEO who ignores this because his bonus depends on quarterly progress. America was built on instant gratification, didn't you know?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

His show is contrived. There are plenty of people who work those same jobs in much, much worse conditions than seen on that show.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Neruz posted:

Again, not saying the coal miner doesn't have a harder job in terms of personal endangerment; he clearly and demonstratably does. I'm just saying that just because the office worker's job is easier doesn't mean it's easy and doesn't mean the office worker isn't actually working too hard and suffering because of that. Additionally different people have different tolerances for different kinds of stress.

Everyone thinks they have it harder than everyone else. It's not just in the workplace. Look how STEM and humanities major go at each other.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I have found that a friend knows he has lovely opinions. He knows they are lovely because he doesn't post them on Facebook, he saves them for Twitter where most people aren't looking, but I noticed.

As far as working hard at minimum wage. I did that in my early days, showed a good attitude, worked my rear end off, and in the end, I got .35 cent raises. Eventually I had slightly better jobs with pretty terrible wages and over the years my good attitude just turned into me putting in the hours, going through the motions, doing the minimum. It wasn't until I got a really good job with good pay (through luck, not bootstraps), that I'm back to doing my best. Good wages make happy, productive employees and I'm currently living it vs a sad, bitter employee that gave no shits that I was.

One excuse restaurants like to give against higher pay is that most restaurants make very little profits.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

If it weren't for Facebook photos, pedophiles would never discover that schools are a destination for large amounts of children.

Don't most schools require ID to pick up children in the first place?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I don't get it. Do they really think their kids are so dumb they can't tell the difference between one of these

And one of these

?

Like, we can't encourage kids to develop a skill and teach them that even though only one team can win there's still honor in going out there and competing? No? We can't do that? Either you're the number one top of the heap in the Pee-Wee Division of West Silverlake Bluffs Soccar Club or you are nothing! NOTHING!!

In my experience playing youth soccer until middle school, and seeing my brother play up to Varsity soccer in High School, It's because a lot of parents live their athletic pipe dreams through their kids, as if college scouts are among their kid's pee-wee game on a Saturday morning. It's not just in sports. There are probably plenty of parents who use their kids as surrogates to live out their failed ambitions, like tiger parents and such.

FuzzySkinner posted:

It legitimately makes me angry.

I was told all of my life to go to college so I wouldn't get stuck working at McDonalds, Starbucks, and all of this other poo poo. I went to college so I could do something for a career for that reason. It's the exact same thing my father did, and his friends/family did.

Now? The EXACT SAME PEOPLE are shaming me, my brother and my friends for going to College.

"What a waste of money"

"You know College isn't for everyone"

"What are you too good to work at McDonalds?" (I just got hired for a part time job at minninum wage fwiw).

"You should have went to a trade school to be a plumber or something"

Double speak and refusing to own up to their mistakes.

Don't you just love moving goalposts? That being said, it's not just Boomers who say this. Goons are quick to gang up on people who dare not major in a non-STEM major or who choose not to go to trade school like that one guy who used to shill on QVC advocates. This is, like, half of E/N threads.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

I get to go home to my Dad who is a classist, just-world believer who believes Mexicans are just superior.

God bless us, everyone. :suicide:

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

This is unusual, tell us more.

Not much to say. He's just a racist who believes Mexicans are hard-working, God fearing family men who can do no wrong and believes in racist stereotypes for other ethnicities. He's just a bigot.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

No matter the ethnicity, you're going to run into these kinds of people. It doesn't surprise me one bit.

One question: Does your father reserve his glowing opinions for any specific type of Mexican I.e.: Metztizos(?) vs. Mexicans of Spaniard descent? In the few Latin American Studies courses I took I read about the growing divide between these two groups. Kind of like having lighter skin increases your social status in the American South or India.

Not that I know of.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Nonono, they're moral and good and just.

Seriously, my parents qualified for various benefits but refused because ~reasons~

And even when these kind of people accept it, they justify it with all kinds of loopy reasons. According to my mother, when she accepted WIC when I was a child, it wasn't a federal aid; it was a tax write-off the rich use when they don't wanna pay taxes. To this day, She refuses to accept she took government aid. :psyduck:

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

Just to bring us back on topic: I think that not using race as a primary metric in our every day life takes a lot of training our minds to not just to use visual cues we've grown up with. I think that you can also be empowering to dark skinned women and still want to date other women because there's nothing 2 faced about it.

There's only 1 true race - the human race.

It reminds me of when Emma Watson was appointed as a UN women's Goodwill ambassador. She was criticized by MRAs and Red Pillers for advocating for women's rights while at the same time dating some buff, attractive, "alpha" rugby player, therefore dismissing her as a hypocrite. Advocating for a cause should not mean you should follow that cause with a fundamental mindset.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The other dumb thing about that is, last I checked, feminism was all about a woman's right to choose so if she chooses to date a meaty rugby player, well, good for her for finding a meaty rugby player she liked.

Exactly. Even if she started dating some smelly, boring computer programmer with aspergers, she would have still been criticized for whatever bullshit reason.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

I don't get how automation will affect doctors. We will still need surgeons and such and the only way I see medical autonomy happen is through some Web MD monstrosity.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You'd actually be surprised at how good expert systems can be. Right now they're tedious to program and absolute murder on processing power but there are actually things that you can feed sets of symptoms to that are right more often than doctors. The other issue is that a human doctor's knowledge is guaranteed to be incomplete, especially if you're talking about a primary care physician. A computer you just stuff new information into as it comes. It will still be useful to have people to double-check but when it comes to diseases you'd be surprised at how specific the symptoms can actually be. As computers get smarter you'll even see stuff like surgeons being replaced as machines can be more careful than humans.

A lot of it is experimental right now but trust me people are working on it. There isn't a single thing humans do that can't be automated.

Are you implying that the Auto-Doc machines from that Fallout video games might actually be a thing? That seems way to science-fiction-y to be plausible. I don't see how a machine can have the precision or caution needed for a complicated medical task like brain surgery.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

The Insect Court posted:

This gets tossed around a lot by hopeful GOP elites, but it's not actually true. Latinos tend to be more progressive on social and economic issues than white voters. Which means Republicans are doubly hosed. The idea of a huge wave of Latino conservatives rushing into the Republican party the moment it figures out a way to keep its candidates from talking about how the disease-riddled rapings need to self deport is a story pro(ish)-immigration Republicans tell because it means they don't have to come to grips with just how much their party's positions will need to change.

As someone who actually is Latino and comes from a Latino family, that's kinda true only for second generation Latinos and onward. A lot of Latinos who recently migrated tend to be more conservative than later generations, in terms of still believing in the American Dream and hard work bringing just results. I cannot tell you the amount of older Latinos with Blue collar professions who believe in the myth of welfare Queens and lazy black people. Yes, Latinos tend to be more liberal, but only to an extent.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

she is dating Drake lol

She used to date Common, who is the most milquetoast rapper ever.

In regards to Foxworthy, he did make fun of Hillary Clinton a bit in the first Blue Collar movie, but it wasn't offensive and a bit pandering to the demographic that makes up his audience.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Can we all agree that the Blue Collar guys are not as bad as Jeff "Racial Charicatures as puppets" Dunham?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Chimera-gui posted:

I was in the waiting for a doctors appointment and my mother started talking to another person about how "kids these days don't know how to communicate cause cell phones exist. There are so many killers cause video games desensitized them. They have no grasp on the real world." Give me a loving break!

It's not like metal or Rap music was used as the reason people committed violence. Wasn't Judas Priest used as the reason some kid committed suicide in the 80's?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Yeah I never understood that, how do people expect someone to schedule an interview (possibly multiple) and then receive the job offer if they don't have access to a phone or email? Do they still think you just walk in, ask for an interview, get the interview immediately, then get the job offer that same day?

Yes. Apparently, you can get a trade job by walking up to a foreman or manager, shaking his hand and telling him you want to work. Apparently, it's still the 70s.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

The same people who would speak of Ben Carson as articulate, well-spoken, and a good public speaker would also say that President Obama is a conniving, manipulative, and cunning public speaker.

In other words, they're right up their own asses.

So he's alternative universe Obama?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

"Ugly" in Michelle's case is a codeword for something else.

Also there are a ton of depressing doctored photos of her, so it wouldn't surprise me if some of these circlejerking right wing meme groups have never seen a photo of her that hasn't been deliberately made worse.

That's one thing that bothers me about beauty standards on the internet. Whenever a pretty black lady is shown on the internet, her beauty is always dismissed as her having "white features" or she's declared not pretty at all due to her being black, as if white people have a monopoly on looking good.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Guy I used to play D & D in my old hometown reposted this.

If an atheist clerk were denying marriage licenses for christian couples, there would be a mob outside his courthouse screaming for his head that day.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 10, 2015

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

AbbadonOfHell posted:

I might be reading it wrong but it sounds like you two agree with one another. He's talking about keeping it secular.

The comments of this pic were full of locals arguing about how this whole Kim Davis thing is actually about the need for less government. It's just Libertarian wankery.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

Wait I thought the point was that they recognize how terrible their show has been, but gently caress it.

The south park guys have always had white, middle class, libertarian values at heart, religious tributes nonwhithstanding.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

DrProsek posted:

Did you normally get arrested when you brought stuff like shirts with marijuana leaves on them to school? Because that's really not normal. You get arrested if they thought you brought illegal stuff, like bombs, not if you brought stuff that just happens to not be allowed in school.

They could use the excuse of drug paraphenilia.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

toanoradian posted:

How did the 'if the name "Jesus" offends you' thing start, anyway? What or who in which part of the country said anything to the effect of "Jesus offends me"? Even the staunchest atheist I have seen doesn't say "the name Jesus offends me". They may say he's not real, or he's an amalgamation of myth and a historical figure, but never pure "the name Jesus offends me".

A good portion of American Christians believe they are a persecuted minority, even though they are everything but.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

I saw this exact example used with rape statistics on college campuses.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

The Fairly Oddparents cartoon, of all things, made fun of the safety standards of classec cars referring them as "screaming metal deathtraps".

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Sounds like a win for paramedics. They'll now have enormous leverage to negotiate raises or improve their working conditions when they can do food service for comparable pay.

This. People are arguing about the crumbs while the powers that be are getting away with the whole cake!

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Some guy just did this real long post on imgur why people don't like Ronda Rousey: http://imgur.com/gallery/LnAeZ

Don't bother reading it The cliffs of it is "she's an arrogant bitch" because sports athletes are never allowed to be arrogant, ever. Of course you never call male athletes a bitch. MMA purists also hate her because her technique is real bad, or something.

To be fair, while she is an excellent judoka and has power in her hands, her striking technique leaves a lot to be desired, as was shown in her loss.

Eh, flawed athletes being hyped up as the best of all time is nothing new.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

borkencode posted:

This was shared by my cousin who has previously stated that native americans lost, and should get over it.

I have this feeling that the people who would share this picture would claim that they are 1/32 Cherokee or some poo poo.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

"There are no bad jobs," says Television Host and professional Narrator Mike Rowe.

Has Dirty Jobs ever done an episode on migrant workers working for the Ag industry in the south? I have a lot of trouble believing he could sling that poo poo after being paid a dime per bushel picking fruit.

Most of the jobs on the show were jand picked to show only the best circumstances of that job. Broken backs and poor working conditions don't exactly bring in the ratings.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

You mean the same libraries that have limited hours and are among some of the same targets of closure among conservative economic policies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

What is wrong with with their eyes? Michelle Obama looks fantastic for her age. Is this just like playground insults where you call the prettiest girl ugly to try and make her cry?

Black People aren't attractive in general to a lot of people in general. If a black woman is attractive, her beauty can be written off as her having "white features", it's infuriating.