Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Narwhale posted:

I hope the government never figures out a way to listen in on phone conversations. :tinfoil:

Why, they would need secret agreements with the telecoms and that's just crazy talk! :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
From my understanding its supposed to be that the first mention is President soandso and then from then on you can do Mr. and/or President and its not really a breach in protocol/respect/whatever.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

If it were that easy why not just flee to Canada and live the high life as an illegal there? It's clearly a bulletproof strategy.

These colors don't run! :911:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Subject: Can you believe this?

The angel of he Lord encamps around those who fear Him and He delivers them.
The righteous cry out and the Lord hears them; He delivers them from all their troubles.
Ps. 34: 7 and 17

THIS HAS GOT TO BE THE MOST OUTRAGEOUS STATEMENT EVER MADE BY A PUBLIC OFFICIAL, LET ALONE BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. AND THIS GUY IS OUR "COMMANDER IN CHIEF".

HERE IS HIS RESPONSE WHEN HE BACKED OFF FROM HIS DECISION
TO REQUIRE THE MILITARY PAY FOR THEIR WAR INJURIES.

Bad press, including major mockery of the plan by comedian Jon
Stewart, led to President Obama abandoning his proposal to require
veterans carry private health insurance to cover the estimated $540
million annual cost to the federal government of treatment for injuries
to military personnel received during their tours on active duty. The
President admitted that he was puzzled by the magnitude of the
opposition to his proposal.

"Look, it's an all volunteer force," Obama complained.

"Nobodymade these guys go to war.

They had to have known and accepted the risks.
Now they whine about bearing the costs of their choice? It
doesn't compute.." "I thought these were people who were proud to
sacrifice for their country, "Obama continued. "I wasn't asking for
blood, just money. With the country facing the worst financial crisis in its
history, I'd have thought that the patriotic thing to do would be to try to help
reduce the nation's deficit. I guess I underestimated the
selfishness of some of my fellow Americans."

Please pass this on to every vet and their
families whom you know.

REMEMBER THIS STATEMENT... "Nobody made these guys go to war. They had to have known and accepted the risks. Now they whine about bearing the costs of their choice?"

If this jerk thinks he will ever get another vote from anyone who is or has been

associated with the military service he's nuts.. If you or a family member

is serving or has served their country, please send this to them.

I'm guessing that everyone, other than the 20-25 percent hardcore liberals

in the US , will agree that this is another example of why Obama is the worst
president in American history. Remind everyone over-and-over how this
man thinks, while he bows to the Saudi Arabian king.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/veteranshealth.asp

tl;dr version: conservative reads another conservatives satire and thinks its God's honest truth. Fires up the old internets to send me an email. I do not know when some one injected the psalm into the chain but it adds a touch of class to the whole thing.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

The_Rob posted:

Not only that. Most imported beers are wayy stronger and manlier than loving Bud and Miller.

Not only that. Bud is now owned by fer'ners.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

Cause they're too proud of this country :911:

Except for the president...and the government officials...and the policies.

What do they love? I'm at a loss here guys.

Ronald Reagan
Founding Fathers (Except for Jefferson [sometimes])
White America
Matlock

And most likely in that order.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

Well ofcourse they are, I mean, if they build a bridge with your tax dollars instead, it'd be your bridge right?

(Yes, I know you were being sarcastic)

The point is, my tax dollars shouldn't be going to help those people. I'm sure Ragnarok there agrees, boy.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Omerta posted:

I don't think there can be a thoughtful political discussion over Facebook. I don't have political conversations with my family unless they goad me into it. Even then, it just frustrates me because it never makes a difference. It always boils down to (1) overly broad generalization/objectively false statement like 'those people' take MY TAX DOLLARS and use it on welfare for the rest of their lives (2) I ask them to guess how much time the average person spends on welfare, 20+ years or something (3) send whoever it is statistics from government or neutral think tank that refute it (4) no response back, no mention of the issue again.

It's even more frustrating because most of my family is decidedly blue collar. My dad does very well, so it makes economic sense for himself to vote republican; not so much for his two brothers and sisters who aren't even close to cracking six figures.

But you see any day now they just might crack the golden egg and when they do they don't want to lose all that money to taxes so they better just go ahead and vote now to keep those taxes down because any day now they'll be in that bracket.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

(for non UK folk, the country has a large deficit and the government is making many cuts including introducing very high university fees, many lib dems have voted in favour of these despite the party campaigning on a pledge NOT to do so. At the same time, estimates of the amount of corporate tax evasion/avoidance in the country come to an amount that could allow us to avoid the worst cuts if we actually made them pay it)

You're saying that if the rich were to just pay the taxes that they owe your revenue problems would be fixed? Well I never! :monocle:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Vonnegut Asterisk posted:

My family is investing thousands of dollars into the Iraqi Dinar and expects to be millionaires within a few weeks.

I really had no other place to post this, and no email, but how can they think this is a good thing?

http://www.iraqidinarscam.info/

First hit off Google. Started typing "Iraqi dinar" and it autopopulated "Iraq dinar scam".

Sounds like your family just got scammed hard.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Just echoing this incomprehension. How did they explain it to you? Is the Iraqi central bank buying up 80% of Iraq's currency? How could they ever expect currency exchange to net them 10000% profits?

The scam apparently goes from the following logic when currency sellers pitch it:

1. Iraqi Dinars are currently bottom barrel exchange rates with the US dollar because of our military operations there have obviously destabilized the economy.
2. This destabilization plummeted the value of the Dinar.
3. The US won't be in Iraq for ever acting as a destabilizing force.
4. Iraq's economy will recover from its current lows or stated more obviously get much stronger.
5. A stronger economy == stronger Dinar
6. You can now buy back dollars with your much stronger Dinar, the better exchange rate netting you massive profits
7. Sit around and be smug over your neighbors as they are now the poors and you are rich.

There are a whole host of assumptions in there already but one very important thing that they forget to mention is that if you are going to do your buyback into dollars you have to do it in Iraq.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

All of modern America's institutions are a conspiratorial system designed to keep that single person down, which is why they can never get any money. But this here, this person selling dinars outside of the system, he will be their salvation.

If you believe that then I got this van full of stereo equipment that I can sell you on the cheap man. Its a hot offer so its going to move quick so buy now!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Enjoy posted:

I thought the phrase referred to execution by firing squad? So he is obviously a proponent of the provisional wing of the Tea Party, the Freedom Corps (or "freikorps")

He is just proposing a creative second amendment interpretation to the problem in hopes of furthering the discourse and any insinuation that he'd ever actively promote or wish violence on another person should immediately be called out for the liberal blood libel that it is, duh.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Speaking of Conservapedia, their best article has to be the one on evolution. I'm not really sure what segment is the best one to highlight but if I had to pick it would be everything past and including the section titled: Creation Scientists Tend to Win the Creation-Evolution Debates. Really puts the cognitive dissonance and blatant rewriting of reality to fit their own beliefs on display.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Dominion posted:

I love how he spends a few minutes asking "Is it racist when we say X? Huh, is it?" and the sane answer for each is simply "Yes."

Is it racist for me to say that I want to round up every Muslim (in this context, every person of southwest Asian descent basically) in the country and forcibly deport them from the US?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The formatting is the best part. I tried to recreate it as best I could, but imagine the text size getting up to size 26 at some points (like every mentioning of the DoE):

Crazy forwarded e-mail posted:

This is Absolutely The funniest joke ever.........
AND IT'S ON US
Let it sink in.

On By the time you get to the bottom, you will understand!

Does anybody out there have any memory
Of the reason given for the establishment
Of the
DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY
During the Carter Administration?

Anybody?
Anything?
No?
Didn't think so!

Bottom line ...
We've spent several hundred billion dollars
In support of an agency
...the reason
For which not one person who reads
This can remember.
Ready???????
It was very simple ..
And at the time everybody thought

It very appropriate...
The
'Department of Energy'
Was instituted
on
8-04-1977
TO LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE
ON FOREIGN OIL.

Hey, pretty efficient, huh?????

AND NOW IT'S 2011,
33 YEARS LATER ...
AND THE BUDGET FOR THIS
NECESSARY DEPARTMENT
IS AT
$24.2 BILLION A YEAR
IT HAS
FEDERAL EMPLOYEES

AND APPROXIMATELY
CONTRACT EMPLOYEES

AND LOOK AT THE JOB IT HAS DONE!
It has not created one BTU, kilowatt, or single drop of oil.The only energy produced by the Dept of Energy is the rapid flow of taxpayer dollars!
THIS IS WHERE YOU
SLAP YOUR FOREHEAD AND SAY

'WHAT WAS I THINKING?'
Ah, yes, good old bureaucracy...
And NOW _ we are going to turn
The Banking System, Health Care and
The Auto Industry over to the government.
ALL IN THE NAME OF CHANGE?
May God Help Us !!!

"IN GOD WE TRUST, not big government".

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

crime fighting hog posted:

Oh god:

Did I respond correctly?

There is no right way to respond to that. Tribalism has long since taken a firm hold on him.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

crime fighting hog posted:

It's a cousin I've only met once :smith:

Sorry for your lost.
There are entire wings of my family that like that and when politics come up there is no discussion, just sermons about how liberals and Obama are destroying the country. Anything I say is just because I'm too young to know better and just you wait until have to pay taxes too.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Corbet posted:

This is the first conservative e-mail I don't have a good reply for. Any ideas?

First blush I'd say that most of those cities fall into rust belt cities that have had a slow death since their industry outsourced to China and/or are immigrant cities where most of the residents that are poor are either immigrant or their recent descendents. Both of those things which are for the most part out of the control of the city itself.

vvvvvv Also I wonder if all of these cities still have partisan mayoral elections to even say if they elect a Republican or Democrat at all.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 4, 2011

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

York_M_Chan posted:

Be careful, while they may be "red" states, a little research will show:
The ratio is Democrat to Republican governors from about 1850 to now. I was surprised myself.

Tennessee 15.0% (22:6)
South Carolina 15.0% (25:5)
Arizona 15.2% (16:10)
West Virginia 15.4% (20:15)
Oklahoma 15.6% (22:4)
Texas 16.2% (39:6)
Alabama 16.7% (52:6)
New Mexico 17.9% (19:12)
Louisiana 18.3% (40:10)
Mississippi 20.1% (31:5)

Be careful you don't fall for the trap aswell of Democrats at the state level in the South vs. the national party. Dixiecrats locally and Republicans federally is still S.O.P. in many southern cities/states.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Habibi posted:

I'm pretty sure he's also the only president in the nation's history to have banged a black chick. That he didn't own. :colbert:

That just means he is doing it wrong. Yet another thing Obama can't do right, gosh!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Strawman posted:

Of course torture works, you can easily get people to confess to things they never even did.

If torture is good enough for Jack Bauer then torture is good enough for America.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Hyosho posted:

It's interesting to note how often torture completely fails in 24. The first guy Jack tortures dies of heart failure without giving up the information he needs, Jack and several other CTU agents resist torture quite effectively (Jack actually dies under torture), he tortures a little blond girl in series 2 and she gives him false information (he figures out she's lying, but not by torturing her).

Sometimes it works, as on Roger Stanton in series 2 (he gives up the information too late for it to be any use and in any case can't act on his confession because he's cut contact with his agents) or when Jack pretends to shoot the family of a terrorist (note here the threat of violence is more effective than violence itself).

The myth that 24 promotes torture is an interesting one, because the overwhelming impression both from watching the show and reading about it (check the first page of google results for "torture in 24" to see the overwhelming consensus) is that it does, and yet even a cursory analysis of the actual plot shows it doesn't.

It isn't a myth when Scalia cites 24 in defense of torture.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I find it funny that they talk about walking to the store back then instead of jumping into the car to go two blocks when they are the people that do that today. Never change boomers and the Silent generation. :allears:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

Mind me asking but where did you goto college? I can't really comment I admit because I was a Psychology/Social Work major so most of my professors were at least left of center bare minimum but I've found many people in academia do lean to the left.

(The more educated tend to be leftist? Hmmmm :smug: )

To answer with my own experience: Two of my professors that I liked the most were both deeply deeply conservative. One went to grad school with John Yoo and ran with that crowd and the other just grew up conservative and never changed. Both of them were PoliSci and both of them were teachers first, opinionated conservatives second. Whenever we had class discussion, which was very often, they were tolerant of any viewpoint no matter how divergent from their own it was only if you could support it with solid logic and facts and such.

Long story short, I always ended up on the opposite viewpoint as they did and ended up constantly having to rigorously defend my positions and the more I did so the more it pushed me to become more and more progressive. When I wrote my term papers in their classes, in the parts that asked for our opinions I was scathingly critical of conservative policies and ideas and I made to sure to heavily source everything I said and they graded the papers based on the quality of the argument, not the content so I passed with solid As. I'm also pretty sure that if they were shown that LF thread they would both find it hilarious for whatever that is worth.

Fake Edit: I don't want to say what school I went to but it is in the bible belt.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sarion posted:

I agree with you, as does the Constitution. It only gives Congress the authority to grant creators limited time for which they hold exclusive ownership of the intellectual property they create.

In fact the original duration was only 14 years. Which makes all these conservatives who have a hard on for the founding fathers pushing Mickey Mouse laws all the more transparent in their opportunism.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They want you to become a sissy effete male by not teaching you manly skills (mostly a correct criticism [under value of shop classes] for entirely the wrong reasons) and that is just one part of their tolerance package to get you to not only accept gays but be gay yourself.

It is important to remember that they literally want to turn you into a gay, commie, Jesus hating liberal by age 18.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Low information voters still think Obama is the valiant champion of the masses but those mean old Republicans keep blocking him at every turn instead of reality.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The worst part to me is that on a surface level it appears your cousin has his heart in the right place. He just lacks any kind of self reflection or critical thought on the matter, refuses to do so, and has a little too big a hard on for the, "thin blue line," mentality when it comes to ARE troops.

Just a depressing example of what persistent jingoistic propaganda can do to people.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You shouldn't put too much focus on the Great Depression when talking about economic recoveries while under the gold standard because we have the 19th century boom/bust cycles (with the most useful examples coming from the latter half of the century) to show how economies can easily overheat, explode and recover. That isn't to say the Great Depression should be ignored by any means but since it seems like you can have a pretty rational and intelligent conversation with this guy and by proxy his brother, look into those cycles as well -the Panic of 1893 in particular.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Taking the chain e-mail into the classroom!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The difference is that old leftists, unless they've given up and gone conservative in their old age, simply never retire. If they care enough to remain leftists, they're still out there, active, going on protests, getting the word out, etc. They don't pass emails around - they are the subject of emails passed around!

(This is only half a jingoistic parody.)

To expand on that a little, I'm involved in several local activist organizations and in all of them there are people who range up to their 70s still actively protesting things.

One guy was telling me a story of protesting in Toronto or Seattle when a cop clubbed him to the ground. He heard some people yell that a cop was picking on that old guy and he started looking around while on the ground to see who he needed to go help. When he realized they meant him was the first time he felt old. Anecdotaly, to me, that is the typical graybeard leftist while the graybeard conservatives spend a lot of time fwd: emails around.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sarion posted:

It's almost as if these people lack any sense of nuance. Why isn't everything treated exactly the same?!

Because that's how you get Communism, that's why.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

CellBlock posted:

You're an individual before birth, then you're nothing until you're not poor, at which point you get your personhood ceded back to you. It's why corporations are people, they can afford to buy personhood.

It's how Texans can be against abortion but love leading the nation in executions. Executed prisoners aren't people.

They're black. :v:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Leon Einstein posted:

This is a common conservative viewpoint, but it's completely wrong. Getting a letter anywhere in the country in a few days for 44 cents is pretty goddamn impressive. The USPS was hamstrung by the right forcing them to PRE-PAY pensions for the next 75 years. This has been making it appear that they've been losing huge amounts of money for years and years. The GOP will be happy as pigs in poo poo when it is eventually replaced by private companies that won't deliver to unprofitable areas.

The irony rich icing on that irony cake is that all of the unprofitable areas that the private sector won't deliver to are the same areas that the private sector refuses to deliver to now. We tend to describe it as the rural/farm base of the Republican party. So not only are they voting against their own economic interests but they are voting against their ability to send/receive a chain letter.

edit: balls this thread moved fast but I'll leave it here.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I can't help but think of that argument coming out of some douche noble's mouth in the Spanish court when Columbus was seeking investors as a reason to not give him the money needed to field the expedition. And if Columbus is too charged an example because of the path of atrocities and destruction he left in his wake then pick a different state funded explorer at pretty much any point in human history.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
And just coincidentally the mosquito example picked was poorly chosen because if I recall correctly a research team has a test run right now in some Australian town to see if their anti-malarial engineered mosquitos can out compete and supplant the native population. On my phone so can't dig the link right now but I know NPR or PRI or one of those guys did a piece on him within a few weeks ago.

Fake edit: forgot to say that it perfectly illustrates that we can run parallel research across multiple disciplines instead of setting science to 30 beakers and pick away at Future Tech X.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Well, without a social safety net a large swath of the poor people may die of starvation, lacking medical care, crime, exposure, etc. So in that instance, maybe Romney does want fewer poor people. By letting them die in the gutters. :getin:

Romney has a modest proposal for dealing with the poor, entitled 47% in the country. Coincidentally do you fancy some veal?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Ben Stein is all sorts of crazy but he made his name as a speech writer. Unless he has some late stage dementia/Alzheimer's disease that he has kept quiet I'm pretty sure he'd never produce something so lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Farrok posted:

I doubt it will change their minds, but there's always these charts that concisely sum up everything thats wrong with this country:

from http://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/cepr-blog/blog-post-health-and-education-on-the-minimum-wage

Edit: Need two more about prisons and military spending, actually, to really sum up everything...

Don't forget a third one to cover housing costs too while you are at it.