Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

A5H posted:

I'm talking like launch stuff by the way, not that kind of photography.
I want to be as good as Easton Chang.

What's launch stuff? I looked up Easton Chang, and if you're talking about making advertising photos, I'd just stick with where you are going and just use your name in a nice font.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Helmacron posted:

My day isn't. I just destroyed my D3s. Now I have to go back to the X100 I just forswore. There's all this glass inside my bag. Tinkling sounds. Do you know how hosed that is. I can't remember the last time I was this unhappy. I have no comparison. I am unhappy.

I'd like to hear this story.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
A friend of mine was shooting at the Redskins vs Cowboys football game in DC a couple weeks ago. While on he field he noticed a dude shooting with a Hassy, using his 400 w/ 2x extender he grabbed this shot.

I'm not a sports person so I thought this was the most interesting image he took. Where did this dude come from to shoot an NFL game with an H4? Can anyone tell me what lens he's using? What's that cable running around the lens for? He was shooting into the field, so the fps of the camera is pretty low and whatever pictures he took must look pretty unique? I don't know, he seems like he should be on a fashion shoot rather than on the sidelines.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Woot fatigue is dorkroom speak for 'Shut up and take my money'. I want to order one soon.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I have individual coverage from Anthem on a high deductible health plan and contribute to a qualified health savings account. It's more flexible than some group plans I've looked for as a sole proprietor.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
For those of you who feel in a funk because of weather or you think there's nothing interesting, I suggest studying more photos. I guarantee there are an infinite amount of things to shoot but you just don't know how to express it in way that excites you. If you look at enough work and really think about what you want to capture, you will be inspired by your surroundings again. Trust me it will happen.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Awkward Davies posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for theory books? I'm feeling a little lost and conflicted about the larger purpose and intent of photography and I'd like to do some actual reading on it.

Not a book, but I find The Candid Frame podcast to be a great resource when learning about why people make photographs and what influences them.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Four Banger posted:

I think she regrets asking me to DJ the reception instead of photographing it all.

Also as a side thought, I'll never DJ a wedding reception again.

I DJ'd one wedding, and I will never do it again. I even got away with agreeing to not play any of the regular old people stuff and I still wouldn't do it again.

Also more love for the Judge Joe Brown clip. Makes a great avatar.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
For group shots, I make everyone close their eyes and then open on the count of 3. It increases the chance of everyone looking forward and not blinking by at least 75%.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Budoir photography shouldn't be a thing. I'm all about creating niches, but this is bad.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I love Crewdson's stuff, it takes the craft of photography to a whole other level.

Does any one else think he looks like a fat Steve Carell?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
We've been evaluating cameras in the worst way possible. I have now learned the correct way.

https://vimeo.com/16174399 - skip to 0:47

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
There are very few things in this world as reliable as gaff tape. I was hired for a video gig and most of the time there are podium mics that I tie into. This time it was a small venue and no mics, so I grabbed my mini tripod and taped up the directional mic to the wireless transmitter. We used to have a gaff tape thread.

untitled-0015 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

untitled-0019 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
When I was in college and did some minor sound production I was beaten when I used too much. I don't think gaff tape even needs a tab, it's so easy to peel on its own. Are they thinking that it saves time?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I'm super excited. I just put in a rental order for an X100 to take on my trip to NY/Boston in 2 weeks. I'm going to try and travel as light as possible for once and not pre plan things to death.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Verman posted:

Anyone have a good source for corporate headshot inspiration?

I heard the word 'corporate'!

Short answer: Inc. Magazine is a must must must. Entrepreneur Magazine and Bloomberg are second. Look through the last year's worth. IMO, the most incredible business portraits have been done by Inc.

If you are a creative agency, it should be, well creative. Start with a story or a theme, then imagine a style that fits. Simpler is always better. You can get carried away pretty quickly and then the production costs start to skyrocket. You can do really creative stuff on just a seamless if you are able to coax the subject's personalities out.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Verman posted:

My creative lead said to run with the seamless and use personality but then they ended up wanting to do editorial style shots showcasing people in our agency around the space.

I would propose that you shoot environmental portraits of your C level folks. These shots will reinforce your branding and communicate the vision of the company. When clients go to the site and look at the leadership team, they ought to think "wow, these guys work hard in a clean, professional environment, and aren't afraid to also have fun." Everyone else can be done with a simple backdrop that doesn't take up a ton of resources.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
This seems to be pretty cool, is anyone local to try it out or talk about the experience?
https://vimeo.com/41710130

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I'm actually getting more and more used to the D3200 with a Tamron 17-50 on it for a walk around camera.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

xzzy posted:

I had no idea taunting photographers was a thing that needed to be addressed.

WTF, that mentality is spreading. 7 local photographers just formed a "collective" and their first blog post was directed at all the existing photographers saying that everyone is behind 20 years in technique and they are all the best photographers this area has ever seen. They pissed off a bunch of people and then changed the blog post. It still uses petty language to describe what they do as radically different somehow. I'm fairly certain that they are all dependent spouses and aren't working anywhere near full time.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Properly organized and managed collectives can be an amazing set up.
http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/18/a-lone-wolf-approach-disfavored/

However, the group I mentioned is just trying to start some trouble.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I don't think their conviction to pay for content was the biggest reason they failed. There are niche media products that succeed because they have the proper marketing and target reach. Before this article, I had never heard of Once. And I am constantly looking for new places to consume photographs. The publishing business is a tough one because it's an extraneous entertainment expense.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

bisticles posted:

Anybody planning to take their photography public really needs to think about how they are going to answer the following questions:
1: You took a bunch of pictures but I only see 12. Where are the rest?
2: If you're not going to fix my arm fat, can you just give me the original pictures so I can photoshop them myself?
3: I tried to get this printed, but they said it was too small and it has your name at the bottom. Can you email me a bigger version without any writing on it?

These questions are exactly why I only work on creating photos for business owners and PR firms.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
So randomly, the original photographer is a guy local to me. He's mostly known for his illustrations and I didn't even realize he had done any photo work. Anecdotally, he's not a dude to really start poo poo and I'm glad he got it handled. He's a working artist who is going to be fine regardless.

But this incident got me thinking. There are plenty of cases of people taking photos and either painting them or putting filters over them to be caught as plagarists. But has anyone seen a case where a painting is copied through a recreation of a photograph and gotten in trouble?

I've seen classic paintings redone as photographs, but does that not count because the source material is so obvious and no one is trying to say that what they are doing is original?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I would say that shooting fewer weddings is totally progress as a photographer. Weddings are awful.

I say this having had the entirety of my income for the past 9 months be from wedding photography.

We all do it, every photographer in the world has shot a wedding or two because they had to. They aren't that bad to me anymore, I'm just glad I have other photo work to balance it out.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
We need to get this lady to be a Dorkroom mentor and teach us her ways.
http://www.petapixel.com/2013/03/12...%28PetaPixel%29

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I just want to say that I really like what this thread has become. Only because of Helwootmalcrontigue

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
After being away from the forums for a bit, I started with the Food Photography thread and was really happy to read through it. Then this morning I found http://petapixel.com/2013/06/08/old-video-of-comedian-louis-ck-making-fun-of-avant-garde-photography-on-mtv/ Coincidence, I think not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?4hhCX1dWzhk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I was waiting outside a yogurt place in Norfolk tonight and I'm 99% sure AIZENSK8R and his wife walked by. We had a brief conversation about the dog I was sitting with (up visiting my sister, she's dogsitting for a friend, I was stuck with the dog outside while family got yogurt within).

Post your Dorkroom missed connection itt.

That was a real encounter. I was walking back to my car and for whatever reason felt compelled to comment on the dog. I wish you had said something. It's funny that you remember what I look like. If you are still in town, say hello, and I'll buy you a drink.