Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SoundMonkey posted:

I'll bring my portable self-contained forums moderation rig if someone has a truck with a trailer hitch and significant hauling capacity.

Dude, we'll have an APC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SoundMonkey posted:

Full disclosure, my mobile forums moderation rig is just a horse trailer with a laptop and an iPhone and like thirty cases of beer.

That's ok, my APC is a Subaru.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Lawyer, retired Army, bike with the boy, golf, do no IT (I do have 4 full time IT that work for me), and am the dork room equivalent of a dentist.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

8th-snype posted:

Destroy all cosplay, burn every anime, kill all nerds.

Hail Satan.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

Rocky Mountain NP is pretty badass, but I assume all the rad stuff is buried in snow right now, like driving up to 12,000 feet. But the stuff near the park entrance is probably worth a visit for winter wonderland scenery.

Yeah. I'm in a small town just outside Denver. The cool stuff is tough to get to right now, but you can drive West on 285 and get to Guanella Pass. https://www.codot.gov/travel/scenic-byways/north-central/guanella-pass

I think it's open, and even if closed, you'll have a nice drive with some good views.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ric posted:

Can someone PM me the login to the Bill Barber account? I've got some burns to post in the best photographer thread.

Pffft.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Choicecut posted:

Are we all middle aged, married with kids, straddled with huge mortgages dudes in here or a plethora of mid 20's hot vaginas? A/S/L?

Edit: 14 years a goon and I think I just got my first custom title. :gizz:

Some of us are more "middle aged" than others. I'm retired, living the life of a stay at home dad post-career, and have way less time to shoot now than I did when I was working 60+ hours a week.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

McMadCow posted:

I have a photo in the Analogue Portrait Exhibition as part of Month of Photography, Los Angeles.
The shot is here in the Peoples' Choice gallery, feel free to hit like.
https://www.facebook.com/MOPLA/photos/a.1170358706347436.1073741839.158301224219861/1170359173014056/?type=3&theater

I'm thinking of going down to LA for the opening on Sunday the 22nd. Are there any LA Dorkroomers who have been taking in the MOPLA shows?

Nice shot, nice result for you. Wish I could be there for the opening.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

insideoutside posted:

Guess I'm done ordering from B&H.

Just kidding, after a friend told me that they made minorities use a different bathroom i stopped ordering from them. But I had considered, in a pinch, getting the odd this and that from them.

Adorama has become my go to. Not just because of the great sale I got on the XT2.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

McMadCow posted:

For any UK Dorkroom Goons:
I had a work selected for the Royal Photographic Society's annual exhibition. It opens in London on 12-16 October, and then on to other venues around the country. Check it out if you're nearby!
http://www.rps.org/ipe160

drat it, i'd like to. Whereabouts in the States might it end up? Does the Royal Society send them here?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah this. It'll be great to tech my 5YO

I just bought an Olympus PEN E-PL2 with the sigma 30mm as the starter camera for my 10 year old. $70 for the body.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

I have six days in Iceland this summer and am trying to plot out what I want to see, and at this point I think I would like to go the rest of my life and not see another picture of Kirkjufell, Vestrahorn, and that loving plane on a beach.

Isnt poopinmymouth in iceland?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

President Beep posted:

In some countries that’s a lot of money, okay!!!!!!?

:negative:

Just enjoy yourself. They're not paying enough to stress it. Enjoy the shooting, do the post processing enough to not embarrass yourself, or as long as you are enjoying it.

The real question for me, when offered similar "opportunities" is, am I taking a job from a photographer, and are they taking advantage of me, or just ignorant about costs?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Helen Highwater posted:

The local photographer dude who used a hammer to attach my M42-Eos adapter to his 5Div is back again. He wants me to do second shooter/digital assistant stuff for a shoot he has at the Canadian embassy in town here (he's Canadian).

He wants to do the shoot tethered and he's checking with me to make sure that I have everything I need to assist him. I tell him I have the USB cord that came in the box with my 5Div, but it's pretty short and I can't go shopping for a new one before his shooting date. We discover that he doesn't have one at all.

He says it's fine, he'll see if he can find one in a lighting bag or, if the worst comes to the worst, he'll go and buy one right now.

He asks me what type he needs. I send him a picture of the two ends of the cord (USB-A and USB 3-MicroB). I also know that he also has a 5Div so he can just pop the side open and take a look at the port himself.

We spend a loving hour on Messenger while he' at the mall, going back and forth on the exact type of USB cable. He's sending me pictures of Micro USB and USB-C stuff and asking if its ok. I'm using an older MacBook with no HDMI port so it has to be USB-A or Thunderbolt on the laptop end. He's not going to shoot video or do any bursts so even a USB2 cable is probably going to be fine. I tell him if he can't find a long enough cable with the right combination of USB plugs, he can just buy an extender and use the stock one. I then have to explain what a USB extender is. He's at the mall sending me pictures of 50cm long cables and asking if these are ok. I'm like, No, they are not ok unless you want to shoot with the laptop in one hand and the camera in the other. He finds an 80cm one and asks again. I tell him to find a 3m cable and then get back to me.

I ask him if he's ever shot tethered before and he tells me that he has. Why the gently caress doesn't he know this? Why the gently caress doesn't he already have a cable for it?

Run. Unless the money is fantastic. Run.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Helen Highwater posted:

We did the walk through. It was us, two Thai ladies who were also bidding for the job, ad the interior designer. The shoots are to showcase new furniture and interior design in the ambassador's residence and the embassy. None of the new furniture or interior design was installed yet, so the interior designer was basically pointing at the old stuff and trying to describe how the new stuff would change (literally everything except supporting walls). The designer had no real idea what he wanted or what was an acceptable number of deliverable images. Also, by the time the shoot actually happens, he'll have gone back to Canada, so won't be able to direct us once the new stuff is actually in place.

There is no way that this can go wrong!

I've changed my mind. This is a disaster on every level, so I'm sure I will enjoy the telling. For your mental health, you should stay away. For the good of this forum? Do it man, throw yourself into the maelstrom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

This is one of those photos where you can immediately recognize the photographers style. This has Ansel Autisms written all over it.