Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Greybone posted:

So how is this supposed to work: Roman Abramovich zaps snappers with laser shield

I mean, sure, I could imagine being able to manually target this thing to some obvious huge lens, but the various articles seems to imply that it is able to automatically block off any sort of camera which seems pretty insane.

Firing a laser at the camera? I can't wait for it to zap someone who's using an SLR and burn out their eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paragon8 posted:

Has photography as a serious hobby ruined casually looking at pictures for everyone else? I can hardly look at facebook snapshots anymore. Also, whenever a friend links me to a babe I immediately try to guess what lighting is used and how to recreate the shot.

I think it has, but I never really liked facebook shots to start with. Cranking the saturation all the way up or going to grayscale does NOT turn it into an artistic picture.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

A5H posted:

I have an old rangefinder I should pop some film in. But I don't know how to focus :negative:

Ship it over to me before you hurt it and/or yourself

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xzzy posted:

Focal length in action!

STOP THE RIDE

I WANT TO GET OFF

(what range is that, like 18mm to 500mm or something?)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

King Hotpants posted:

I don't think they make IR flashes, so that'd be the only way to put some more light on a scene without making yourself a target.

They actually do make IR flashbulbs (a really interesting set here, mildly :nws:).

Also standard electronic flashes do throw some infrared and if you gel the flash you can cut it down to just infrared. I have to admit I've been really tempted to try taking an Alienbee 1600 and gelling it and shooting some infrared film. You could probably get acceptable range and no one could tell you're strobing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If they're using your work in products they're selling, gently caress them. You have a right to compensation for your work, or they can pay someone else to do it instead.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Your camera selection really depends on three things: how much depth-of-field you want, how big you want to print, and how good an autofocus system you need. If you need full-frame depth of field, nothing but a 5d* or 1ds* will do (or a $20 EOS film camera and a $120 scanner, don't discount this for low-end bang-for-the-buck). If you need a big print, more modern is better because you get more megapickels. If you need better autofocus, more modern is better but so is a prosumer/pro camera instead of digital. If you just want something to develop your composition with and you will only be outputting JPGs or small prints, a Rebel will do fine.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 24, 2011

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

dunkman posted:

Here's the phrase I use when someone asks me where the rest of the pics are: "Yeah, those didn't come out. Taking pictures with these cameras is pretty hard. You see the big name guys just blazing away at a million frames a second? that's because most don't come out!" And if it comes to them demanding to see something, I show them a totally over exposed blurry shot of the floor or something that I happened to take.

Generally speaking I don't think most people get most of their pictures to turn out. If you're a pro, you just shoot more and your skills give you a slightly higher 'hit' rate, and that yields more keepers.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 24, 2011

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Basically, a shitload of his business has been based upon your publications. Sue your friend's rear end for actual and punitive damages.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I laugh every time I see someone with a NEX because they inevitably are using a lens that makes their camera just as big as my 50D w/ 17-50 and twice as awkward to shoot with.

This is because the NEX has a really short register distance, so it can mount virtually any lens ever made. You can get some great lenses for cheap because no one shoots cine lenses anymore, for example.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ExecuDork posted:

AUTO exposure, but manual focus? That's just hosed up.

I'm going to guess "no, but she hasn't mastered the fine art of focus point selection, so she missed 50% of the time"

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Helmacron posted:

That's good from you.

Hey, this guy I work with takes photos of pretty clouds. I've seen him do it, I know he did it, he takes them with his Iphone.

Anyway, he left his phone on a table and rushed out of the room and I went to change the phone number of his girlfriend to my number so I could break up with him, when I discovered he has like 10,000 photos of clouds.

I was just checking for like, dick photos, but holy poo poo. I panicked after I saw that and put it back on the table, then went back after a minute and shifted it like a millimetre so it looked more like he left it. I sort of felt like I picked up a bone in a graveyard. Like it's probably a chicken bone, but what if it's not... and it's probably just a weird hobby, but what if he's collecting the sky...

This is actually a thing people do. If you do it with a real camera, you can use it as Photoshop stock for when you really gently caress up a shot and blow the sky.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

titanium posted:

Just to clarify my post I know there isnt a true perfect alternate to film I was just curious if they were selling fancy sliders. I'm aware there are cheap options for those looking to get into film but like I said it's something I dive into later on.

Yeah, it's called a Pentax ME or MX. Big rear end screen, great lenses, and you can be shooting with either one for under $100. Get yourself one of those and a SMC Pentax 35/3.5 or 50/1.7 (and later a 28mm f/2.8). It's hard to beat for the price, and you'll figure out the technical stuff within a roll or two.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

squidflakes posted:

It extra sucks when you're doing medium or large format. Every time I release the shutter with film in the holder on my Crown Graphic I'm out $5-$10 dollars.

I actually prefer medium format in this respect. There's only 8-16 shots per roll, so I get negatives back quicker. It is more expensive ($1 or so per shot), but that's an incentive to think a shot through fully. I only "see" so many good shots per area/day anyway, everything else is pretty much experimentation and I usually know they aren't that great before I take the picture. You don't really need 36 shots and unless you're trigger-happy it can take a while before you see your results. This way the results can be enlarged more if they're good or cropped more heavily if they're not.

Large format is the obvious conclusion to this, but I'm not quite there yet equipment-wise or financially.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Reichstag posted:

If that's the only reason you shoot medium format, you should just short-load your own 35mm cartridges.

I too think you should abandon your chosen medium and/or equipment :frogout:

As I said up there, there's a variety of advantages. Faster results, sharper images, finer grain, larger enlargements (including the ability to make reasonably-sized prints from cheap V500 scans), or the ability to heavily crop a shot. It's also equipment that produces results I like.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
That depends, medium/large format gear has pretty much bottomed and the good stuff has started climbing back up a bit. Last year it bounced big around tax time, and it never quite came back down.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shmoogy posted:

Canon has a 'silent shoot' option that primes the mirror so it only slaps down and returns more slowly/quietly. I've never used it, but I think that's the general idea behind it.

It's actually a bit more than that. Essentially it combines an electronic first curtain with a mechanical second curtain.

quote:

Many Canon DSLRs with the “live-view” feature have an interesting feature. They can eliminate the need for a mechanical first shutter curtain by using “a unique high-speed scanning and electronic reset system that accurately mimics the... high-speed mechanical shutter operation. It synchronizes with the mechanical 2nd-curtain shutter to obtain a slit exposure.” In addition, the way live-view has been incorporated in these camera bodies the exposure can be initiated while in “live-view” without any mirror motion. As a result, an exposure can begin with absolutely no mechanical movement at all, and thus no vibration. The exposure is concluded by the closing of the mechanical second shutter curtain. After the exposure there will be some mechanical movement in the camera but this obviously can not effect the exposure (with the possible exception of a continuous “burst” of successive pictures).

Canon documented this feature with the 40D, 50D, 5DII, and 7D. They promoted it as “silent-mode”. Although not documented by Canon, this same feature (electronic first shutter curtain) is also found in the Rebel XSi/450D, Rebel XS/1000D, and Rebel T1i/500D. With these camera’s it is always “on” and there is no “silent-mode” to enable or disable.
http://krebsmicro.com/Canon_EFSC/index.html

It provides a significant decrease in shutter shake.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

A5H posted:

Huh is that post colour or did they have colour film then?

Kodachrome was released in 35mm in August 1936. Professional sizes (120 and up) were introduced in September 1938. It's also possible that high-profile photographers (like Hitler's personal photographer might have been) got pre-production film for testing and marketing purposes, although that is nothing but speculation on my part. There was quite a bit shot through the WPA, and much of it is available through the Library of Congress.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 27, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DanTheFryingPan posted:

There was also a type of color film in the Russian Empire before the revolutions of 1917, but the technology was apparently lost during the chaos.

See some examples here:
http://russianculture.wordpress.com/2010/10/28/old-russia-in-color-the-photographs-of-sergei-prokudin-gorsky/

It's not film and the technology wasn't lost. It's merely a three-color separation on glass plates, which are combined and projected together. The same idea also underlaid Techicolor (with film obviously).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

QPZIL posted:

A comment on one of those Nazi pictures mentioned that it's supposedly an early Agfa color negative film. Take that for what you will. It'd make more sense than Kodak at least.

Yeah it's Afgacolor Neu. The Prokudin-Gorskii survey was shot on magic lantern glass plates though, which is a bit different. I looked it up, it's actually not on 3 plates like I thought.

quote:

Prokudin-Gorskii created his negatives by using a camera that exposed one oblong glass plate three times in rapid succession through three different color filters: blue, green, and red. For formal presentations, he printed positive glass slides of these negatives and projected them through a triple lens magic lantern. Prokudin-Gorskii would project the slide through the three lenses, and, with the use of color filters, superimpose the three exposures to form a full color image on a screen. (For more illustrations of Prokudin-Gorskii's methods, see the "Making Color Images" section of the exhibit, The Empire That Was Russia.)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Buceph, email me at . I need some impetus to get my wet printing setup operational again this summer, and I'd totally be interested in trading.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mightaswell posted:

There are also economies of scale at work here. Most modern 50mm designs have been the same for decades.

The standard double-gauss/Planar type has been around for more than a century actually, it just wasn't as popular until coatings came about. Sonnars, Tessars, and Triplets had fewer air-glass interfaces and would keep better contrast, but were softer.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Spedman posted:

It's got me very excited about trying some tintypes, but for the love of god will somebody buy the man a box of gloves for when he handles cadmium etc based chemicals :gonk:

Fun fact: the more toxic a chemical is, the cooler things it can do. Consider: Sepia intensifying film is pretty weak but safe. Selenium intensifying is pretty toxic but pretty effective. Mercury intensification is excellent but incredibly nasty.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I can only hope the concept remains the fever dream of some magazine editor.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 1, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

whereismyshoe posted:

Is there a dorkroom-approved online print service? they all seem to do about the same thing and i was wondering if any were better than others

White House Custom Color has a couple fans here I think. They're oriented towards pros but they'll do stuff for consumers too.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VomitOnLino posted:

I can't really comprehend - what's the point of this?

As I see it, you don't get any of the medium format pros (the medium-format look, reduced depth of field, definition & tonality) but all of the cons (slow lenses by 35mm standards, lower absolute sharpness, huge and heavy). It just seems like a completely pointless exercise to me, even if you had the appropriate medium-format lenses and $50 lying around already.

Anyone enlighten me?

Some MF lenses are pretty fast, the Pentax 67 105mm f/2.4 and 150mm/165mm f/2.8 come to mind. Others are really really good - I've been itching to adapt my P67 55mm f/4, ideally to film or FF digital, because the results are nothing short of spectacular even wide open. You're taking advantage of the very center of the image circle, the sharpest and best-corrected part, and contrary to popular belief those lenses can still develop some pretty good resolution. You can also get a tilt-shift adapter and make use of that larger image circle (albeit at a maximum of slight-wide to normal because of the crop factor).

Also, because they're there.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Leicas have titanium taints.

I only use cloth-tainted Leicas, the titanium taint makes too loud of a clack to be usable for street shooting.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Guy sets up a custom-rig attached to his car to do panoramas in Tuscany.

From Luminous Landscape.

He's angling his camera down instead of using a shift lens, causing perspective distortion.
:goonsay:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paragon8 posted:

Most people have a camera phone so I don't see it being a bad thing to use to teach people the basics of photography.

Yes, a mandating the use of a device where you have none of the typical creative controls is an excellent way to teach a creative craft.

See also: the Program Mode course.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xzzy posted:

I think basic composition technique will get complete newbies a lot further along than being able to control the aperture.

Perspective control (compression/expansion) is a fundamental aspect of composition, as is depth of field and creative shutter control. You're certainly not going to be setting up a bunch of hotlights to take a picture with your iPhone so I don't even get the "lighting" one.

"Remove extraneous elements from your composition. Use rule of thirds, except when you shouldn't." There, that'll be $300 plus fees please.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SoundMonkey posted:

Yeah I mean it's not like reputable art schools start people out with old Pentax film bodies and usually only a 50mm lens, that would be a horrible way to restrict them as they're trying to learn a craft.

Half of the people in the Photo I class I took started out with kit lenses (the old film kind), most of the half that started out with primes (myself included) were branching out to some cheap 28mms, 35mms, or 135mms by the end.

But even a 50mm will let you isolate your subject with some depth-of-field, which an iPhone will not. Unless I'm wrong and there's some horrible app that gaussian blurs out the background, like with:

Shmoogy posted:

Says you bro.
http://fstoppers.com/iphone

Any reason to repost that I suppose.

Steve McScene posted:

I do this all the time for my instagram photos??

:staredog:

I mean no one will do that in a beginner's iPhoneography course, it's probably one of the worst tools for the job, and it completely defeats the purpose of a small cheap portable device that everyone owns and you can take everywhere, but hey if people want to buy I guess the university would be stupid not to sell.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 26, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have a few older cameras I'd contribute to the cause. I think I have have a few scale focus or rangefinder cameras with triplets/tessars.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Awkward Davies posted:

Totally different track here.

Anyone ever used one of these?

A friend has one and might let me permanently borrow it. It's got a polaroid back and everything so it would be a very occasional thing, but. Anyone?

Pop over to the MF/LF thread. Short version: it's a rangefinder, film is $1 a pop, the lenses are pretty good, it has a leaf shutter for fast sync, and it's a little on the bulky side.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paragon8 posted:

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned on here before but holding an SLR upside down actually affects the way the light hits the mirror and produces a certain color cast that some street photographers prefer.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Even if holding the camera upside down affected the way light hit the mirror (hint: it doesn't, many lenses have part or all of the lens rotate as it focuses which would do the same thing), the mirror is out of the optical path during the exposure.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 13, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Clown posted:

A couple people have messaged me asking if I sell any prints of my pictures. I've never done that before and I don't quite know what to do about it!

Generally you take their cash monies and send them arts in the mail. It's probably cheaper for you to get them run off at a lab, over here in the states I'd recommend White House Custom Color but I'd imagine shipping overseas is probably a decent chunk of change.

Oh also I loving love that shot, do you sell any prints of your pictures?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xzzy posted:

It's a Kodak Retina IIa with a Xenon lens, a family heirloom deal (bought by grandpa, has been handed down and is currently in the hands of my sister). She was taking pictures of my other sister's wedding with it, and I got to play with it a little bit. It was pretty cool to have solid metal components used to set up an exposure, though focusing was no fun at all.

I haven't seen any pictures out of it though, and I'm wondering if anyone around here has any opinion on the quality of the lens.

The rangefinder's probably crapped up with fifty years of dust. Get it CLA'd and it'll be a lot easier to focus. The shutter may be a bit slow, they rarely hit their spec even when new and the springs weaken and the shutters get grimy.

As for the lens, if it's a Xenon it's a Planar formula, same as a nifty fifty. It's probably coated (look at whether the lens has a colored sheen), and if so it will quite probably meet your expectations. Schneider pulled no punches on their lenses, particularly the high-end ones (which this is).

Overall, both a very collectible and a very shootable camera from the golden age of Kodak. Talk your sister into letting you go blow off some film doing sunny f/16 and I bet you'll love it. Particularly if you get that rangefinder cleaned (which, alone, shouldn't be expensive).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xzzy posted:

It wasn't hard to see through the rangefinder.. just the task of aligning the two images took some practice. Worse, I always seemed to turn the focusing ring the wrong way when making adjustments.

Though it may just be since I don't know what it was supposed to be like, I missed that it was clogged with dust. I only had serious problems focusing on low contrast subjects.

Yeah, that's the problem with old rangefinders. They generally have a half-silvered mirror in there that bounces half the light from the rangefinder window and lets half the viewfinder window's light come through. Over time the mirror tends to desilver, so the rangefinder image gets weak. It'll work fine on high-contrast edges but it gets hard to focus in low light or on less contrasty edges. It's not a hard or expensive fix usually, they just cut a piece of glass to fit and realign everything. A couple of my rangefinders suffer from the same thing. One thing you can do is put a bit of tape on the glass where the rangefinder patch sits, this will block out the viewfinder's light to help equalize things out.

quote:

My sister said the test roll looked fine.. said everything that was supposed to be sharp, was. She just didn't bring any of the prints along for me to look at.

Not that I'm suggesting it doesn't need a tune-up, but it has spent most of the past 30 years in a box and reportedly was babied by grandpa, so it's probably about as good as one could expect.

Anyone know of any trustworthy shops that can do a CLA? Sister lives in LA so there'd have to be someone out there, right?

There's gotta be someone in LA. I've always heard great things about Essex Camera in NJ. It sounds like it's working decently now, but it's a 60 year old camera and it's a good idea to do preventative maintenance before things get to be an issue (considering it's an heirloom).

The Retina is a really cool camera, it was designed and produced in Germany and unlike most of Kodak's other mass produced cameras was targeted at the high end of the market. As mentioned, the double-gauss design is a really good performer when done well. It's the basis for the Planar/Xenotar design, and actually dates back to the turn of the century. It was one of the few fast designs with few enough elements to avoid losing contrast with uncoated optics. Today it's the dominant design for fast 50mm lenses.

tl;dr go sunny-16 some film and report back.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mannequin posted:

Yeah, Kodak is a company full of problems that has made catastrophic mistakes, but the demand for film is way, way down -- not unexpectedly so. I know pro photographers who grew up shooting film and now only shoot digital just for the convenience factor. Demand is down. Fuji and Kodak are both slashing their film offerings. It is indeed very sad if you are a film fanboy. This isn't 1983 anymore. At least when Kodak was loving up in the 80's people were still giving money to them hand over fist for film and development.

This is true, but film demand has largely hit its floor for the same reasons. It will decline over time but it's not going to be crashing like during the switch to digital. An absurd amount of the film market is now cinematographers who think nothing of blowing through a couple hundred meters of film or disposable cameras (which are still the go-to in many parts of the world). Neither of those markets will switch immediately, cinematographers who still shoot film are doing it for the dynamic range or uprezzing capabilities and it's not possible to make a $5 digital camera that doesn't suck.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
That's a hell of a deal. Even though everything works, I'm going to recommend that you get the mirror and screen cleaned/replaced if nothing else, it adds a lot to the usability. Also, try flipping the magnifier up and pushing the front of the focusing hood down until it locks. Focus through the viewfinder, then pop up to the sportsfinder to frame and shoot. That feature makes the 'flex the best TLR running in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

QPZIL posted:

Yeah, screen and mirror definitely need a cleaning. I did a thorough strip-down and cleaning of an old Yashica Mat-124G I had, so I imagine the process would be similar for this.

I had no idea that the Rflex had a "prism viewfinder" until I was playing around with it to get the sports finder down, then I noticed an extra mirror flip down and I went " :aaa: !!" Seriously, insane cool.

Probably similar overall. If it was something I planned to keep, I'd have it torn down partially anyway to check the lens calibration, which is kind of an important thing since what you see is not what you get. Sometimes they work loose or get dropped or inexpertly repaired so the lenses aren't focusing at the same point. Odds are it's good enough, but at least then you know it's you loving up the focus and not the camera.

The prism viewfinder is very useful and my favorite feature on the entire camera, it's way easier to shoot moving subjects with some expectation of accuracy. The equivalent-exposure lock on the aperture/shutter knobs is also useful. Rolleis own, everything about the camera just is just dripping with quality and nice touches like that. Treat it well and you can probably pass it on to your grandkids. I expect by that point they'll have figured out how to print CCDs or CMOS onto film to make big cheap sensors and medium/large format gear will be making a comeback :unsmigghh: