Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Also be mindful that reading poo poo on the internet isn't actually very restful. If you spend your break futzing around on social media you've barely taken a break at all, go outside and get some air or get a snack and chat with your roommate(if you have one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I didn't realize magnesium had anything to do with tolerance. I take a supplement to reduce the teeth grinding I do in my sleep(a problem I had before I was even diagnose with ADHD).

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Missing a dose and not noticing a significant change is a pretty big indication that it's not doing much for you, so I'd look into a dose increase or a different medication.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

If you suffer from teeth grinding/jaw clenching definitely try and deal with those ASAP. TMD(more commonly known as TMJ) isn't fun to deal with.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Adderall makes it harder for me to eat but I feel so incredibly lovely if I don't eat enough. It's an annoying dynamic.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Funddevi posted:

5'10 135lb 60mg adderall xr AMA

(I'm too busy this semester to feed myself properly :( )

Wtf I didn't even realize it went that high. Sitting at 15 mg about the exact same height and weight and thinking I might need an increase before next semester.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

If I don't eat enough on adderall I very quickly turn into a monster so I usually eat breakfast first, or at least a banana like the above poster if I'm feeling lazy.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Fusion Restaurant posted:

It's like $10 for me with insurance each month. Way more without. Generic and name brand are supposed to be basically the same more or less (name brand might be less of a high?) so no worries there.

There's a little bit of wiggle room when it comes to bioequivalence in FDA standards for generics so there can be a slight difference between generics and name brand. There was also that one Ritalin generic that got pulled from the marke recentlyt because the delivery mechanism substantially altered the effectiveness of the drug.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Even going by FDA standards there's like 20% of wiggle room for bioequivalence. So even in ideal circumstances there could be a perceptible difference.

Can't say I'm looking forward to what's about to happen to the FDA and healthcare. Hopefully I'll at least graduate and find a job in time for Obamacare to be repealed :negative:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

artsy fartsy posted:

I lurk this thread from time to time, it makes me feel normal (and makes me wanna try meds again).

I'm wondering if any of you have difficulty speaking? I talk very quickly and quietly, which is not helped by my constant struggling to find the right words. It's like I'm thinking of three different ways to say something and jumping between them; or I'll try to think of a word and come out with indirectly-related words, or even friggin antonyms. Or I'll just get hung up entirely, almost like a stutter.

This all gets so much worse if I'm put on the spot or anxious for whatever reason.

Anyway, is this an ADHD thing or just a me thing?

This happened to me a lot, and got a lot better for me after I started medication. Apparently it's referred to as cluttering.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I think my attempt at bullet journaling lasted about a month of me half-assing it, which is much better than other planners have worked out :v:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Gaspy Conana posted:

My doc put me on Ritalin. I've been slowly increasing my dosage 10 extra mg per week. I'm now just starting 30mg. Haven't noticed MUCH of a difference until I skipped a dose one day this week. I'm taking a German class and was just completely unable to follow what was being taught. I know everyone's different, but what dosage have you guys found effective?

Also I still want to drink coffee. :( Do any of you pull it off without major jitters?

Have you tried tea? I find the caffeine in that gives me a bit of a boost without being awful feeling.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Between the recent climate change news and our new orange president I have fully embraced my addiction to coffee and the early death it will probably bring.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I was already underweight before starting Adderall so the appetite suppressant effect kinda sucks. I hover around 130-140 usually but at my doctors visit this month I clocked in at 126 :negative:

I'm working on upping my pre-prepared food game so I can't use laziness as an excuse to not eat. I generally eat healthy at least, just not enough.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Do you think you might have anxiety? It's common for ADHD people and ADHD meds don't always help with it.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I started zoloft for my anxiety last year and so far it's been a good decision. I'm far less irritable and certain annoying noises don't make me feel like my skin is crawling any more :)

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

signalnoise posted:

Just wanted to share that since it's a new year, I got a PAPER daily planner. Writing things down has helped me a lot to be more productive, even if it isn't referred to later. Just the act of reading and writing in my planner and notebooks helps me remember things. If anyone would like to discuss this topic feel free, I'll join in and tell you the poo poo I've bought etc..

I'd be interested in knowing what you use. I'm not completely sold on the one I have right now.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Yeah I just got a fountain pen and have found myself looking for excuses to write stuff with it. That Jet planner looks pretty wonderful, a lot better for my needs than the one I've been using this year which is a bit too rigid for my taste.

Those notebooks look nice as well. Right now I'm using the Vela Science hardcover lab books for my notes since they're a bit larger than standard letter size and just generally high quality. At like $20 a pop though I'll probably want something a bit less pricey for my less math-y courses.

I've also started 20-30 minute taking power naps lately and they've been really helpful. The trick is that it doesn't matter if you actually fall asleep, it'll still be restful if you don't. It's a nice reset when I get home from class or work.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

There's apparently a bill in the Georgia Senate that would require ADHD patients to get a new prescription for their meds every 5 days :negative:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/08/health/adhd-opioid-prescription-bill-georgia/index.html

Apparently will most likely be fixed, but watch your state legislatures for similarly lovely bills.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

They apparently changed the language so it doesn't include ADHD meds, but that it was even there in the first place bothers me.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

i am tim! posted:

It's pretty clear that whomever put this together was only thinking about the opioid abuse and hadn't given any regard for non-opioid Schedule restricted drugs. I'm glad that they are changing the wording to address that, I wouldn't have been surprised if they had opted to say "Well that should be restricted too because DRUGS!" instead.

The Senator who proposed the bill is also stalling a rape kit testing bill and a bill expanding the conditions our medical marijuana law covers, so that should give you an idea of the person behind it, if "Georgia State Senator" didn't paint that picture for you already.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

My friend developed epilepsy for no apparent reason in his early twenties. They put him on some medication and he hasn't had a seizure for a few years now.

No idea how epilepsy is diagnosed, so they may have already ruled that out for you.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Adderall does have withdrawal effects, but they're pretty minor compared to SSRI withdrawal. I imagine if you take every weekend off your meds you may not notice withdrawal effects.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

signalnoise posted:

I got a height-adjustable desk for my home office. So far it's helping.

I just built a poor man's standing desk out out of milk crates and some shelves from a shelf my ex never bothered to assemble. Definitely feels better both physically(I have a bad shoulder) and mentally.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Parasol Prophet posted:

Hi thread! I have ADHD-Distracted type (is that the right way to put it? I have no idea), am between medication refills right now because I changed insurance and the process to finding a new doctor is so involved that I keep forgetting to start/continue it. (Of course.) I have a question.

Does anyone have any good strategies for dealing with time blindness? I hate being late all the time and it's already cost me at least one job, but nothing seems to help-- setting more alarms, breaking down time, etc.

I get up on time, but always wind up doing poo poo like "Ah, showers only take five minutes. *Fifteen minutes later* WHAT NO" or somehow missing four minutes between putting my jacket on and getting out the door. I don't really know what else to do. And because being chronically late apparently makes you Literal Satan to most people, I've never really gotten much advice beyond "lol if you want to be on time, you'll be on time, just try harder." Maybe people here will get that I can't just -do- that, I dunno.

What’s helped me is doing as much as possible the night before. This includes showering, making oatmeal and putting it in a thermos, and making sure everything I need is accounted for before going to bed. Now I can wake up, eat my oatmeal, put on my clothes, pack lunch, grab my bag, and be on my way. I still try and wake up when I normally would because I do still get distracted, but its less of a big deal because there’s not as much I need to be do before leaving.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Since I didn’t get an internship this summer I started working on a project and have been incredibly hyper-focused on it and it feels like such poo poo. I’ve been able to pull myself out of it this week and have just been trying to catch up on everything I neglected in the process.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Something that works for me sometimes is to find the smallest possible step I can take towards doing ~thing~ and that’s either enough to get me started or if it’s not that’s one less step to take in the future. It could be as small as just getting out cleaning supplies or moving a box, so long as it’s a concrete action I can take.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

BoneMonkey posted:

Just posting to let you all know that weighted blankets are the poo poo.

If you have problems going to sleep consider getting one.

I worry that if I get a weighted blanket I’d literally never leave my bed :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

TheJadedOne posted:

drinking acidic juices like orange or grapefruit can affect the absorption of adderall. Just had that talk with my psych yesterday.

grapefruit in general is one you should always check on with medications of any sort. it has a lot of weird interactions.

thankfully for adderall you're pretty much fine as long as it's not within an hour of taking it.

the same goes for tums, btw, though the effect is different.