Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

organburner posted:

ETA: Also, has anyone tried drinking alcohol while on concerta? It's kind of a thing in the local culture to drink here and if I can just like walk around a party with a can of something or have a drink after work it'd be easier but I can go without if needed. I tried to google it but didn't quite understand what I found.

Hello, neighborhood local party man who takes Ritalin for his ADHD here! I highly advise being EXTREMELY careful with drinking while on an active dose of any stimulant, mostly because it has a nasty habit of covering up how intoxicated you are and can lead to overdrinking, blackouts, etc. Being that Concerta is a stimulant and alcohol is a depressant, things can get ugly if you're not careful. A drink or two is fine, but anything more I would highly advise against from personal experience. Another thing to keep in mind is that with ADHD, impulse control isn't our strong point, meaning that "not feeling the alcohol" plus "loose judgement b/c alcohol" plus "man I feel great right now" can quickly turn into "dude you were basically incoherent last night". If you have any questions re: alcohol/pot and medication, I am a wealth of information on that front. But also not a doctor, so please, take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

JayMax posted:

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my anxious venting. I guess I struggle to find a balance between my need for structure and reminders and such and not straddling her with all the mental workload.

We have been talking about it, but it's still a work in progress.

My biggest piece of advice is just keep doing this. A lot. Consistently. And without any shame about what you're bringing to the other party. It's really the only way to be successful living with someone who doesn't have ADHD, unless you REALLY have your stuff together. Even then, ADHD people tend to have odd ways of doing things that help them see the process through, so it's best to be very direct and open about it.

As for the dishes, I used to loving SUCK at washing the dishes. Then I read this article about a wife who wrote into some Dear Someone thing about how her husband did a bunch of tiny things that showed that he just didn't care. One of the biggest ones was the dishes, and specifically her feeling that him leaving dishes in the sink meant he was expecting someone else to take care of it, specifically her, even though that someone didn't have the bandwidth to handle that. So, I baked it into my morning routine. I have an aggressively structured morning routine, basically what I've dubbed "the bare minimum". Shower (take meds), clean the cat boxes, feed the cats/change water, clean up the living room a bit, do the dishes, take out trash/recycle as needed. I do this roughly every morning and it's helped a ton with making me worry less about forgetting something like the dishes or the cat litter.

bagmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 16, 2021

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

mlnhd posted:

Okay sure. Know your local rules. In my state in the US, ADHD medication is heavily restricted, and you don't want a speeding ticket to turn into a drug charge.

I always have my phone on me, and I have the CVS app and can bring up my filled prescriptions. It's not nearly as big of a worry as it used to be.

HOWEVER, if you're going to bring medication on a plane, into work, anywhere you may take it and get questioned, I absolutely recommend having a prescription bottle on you. Just makes people not even question you.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
And, no joke, I have probably 10-15 10mg Ritalins stashed in multiple different places... Backpacks (I think three separate), my car, my work bag, my bike bag, you name it. I rarely ever use them, but it's comforting knowing that I have some if I really need to focus.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

mfcrocker posted:

I started using a weekly pill box like an old because I kept having to count my remaining pills in the bottle to work out if I'd taken it that day.

I almost always had but yeah that poo poo got tiresome real fast

I've used a daily pill box since I was like, 13. It's so much easier and I usually keep it close to my bed so I can take it first thing when I wake up. Also lets me check it multiple times throughout the day as I wonder if I have garbage brains or forgot to take my meds or both.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Lol I'm just discovering a whole nother ADHD thread, hi guys

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Car Hater posted:

A hyperfocus project to merge them together that no one asked for

Time for ADHD subforum

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AtomikKrab posted:

My spouse got tired of me and my mother never looking for food properly, so she moved all the condiments to the fridge drawers and put the food on the outer shelves where it is highly visible. This has so far worked very well and I am wasting a good deal less cheese and fruit that was previously in the drawers where it got forgotten.

That reminds me I need to buy a magnetic erasable thing for my fridge so lady bagmo can write all of the leftovers we have in the fridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

Doctors appointment today, will get ball rolling on ADHD investigation

If you're interested, there's an ADHD-specific thread in E&N that's made up of primarily ADHD-diagnosed posters and serves as a support network / sounding board / experience and knowledge share. Definitely recommend but I'm a bit biased since I post a lot over there lol