Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Wish I could do that. I haven't known anyone who sells in ages and I don't have the living space to grow my own anymore. Probably not a good idea anyway, though, no idea how that would interact with my other meds.

I gotta say Ritalin was worse than amphs as far as me not eating. Also don't start drinking to put the pounds on! That will interact WAAAAAAAY more negatively with your meds than weed would (still don't want to smoke weed while you are on your meds as it's counterproductive but at the end of the day it's a good way to ease into eating/sleeping.)

Sucks you can't find it, hopefully in the future it will be easier to get legally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

slogsdon posted:

what's a good yoyo? this sounds fun.

also, is it normal for instant release adderall to feel more effective than XR? My doctor gave me an instant release prescription for me to take in the evening on some of my longer days. It's 5 mg and I'm on 10mg adderall xr. My XR is kinda inconsistent in that it works great some days and some days it doesn't work so great. When I take the IR(2 or 3 times a week, probably) it just seems to do a lot more for my focus.

Would it be worth trying to switch to IR twice a day instead of XR? Or do doctors generally not do that because of abuse concerns?

XR sucks for the reasons you mention, IR is much better. Just ask your doc and explain your reasoning.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
If you take your amphetamines with seltzer water (or any other agent that makes your stomach pH more basic, like baking soda) it will increase their absorption into your body and thus effect, that much seems pretty clear to me after much experimentation.

With respect to food, you're just adjusting how quickly it hits your blood, if you have food in your stomach when you take a dose it will absorb more slowly just like any medication would.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 20, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Your mileage may of course vary but I take immediate release amphetamines and I often go balls to the wall on singletrack immediately after taking them. If you are in good shape and take it regularly it should be fine, of course you are sorta doping at that point although with vyvanse it isn't immediate release so it will probably be less noticeable than mine is. Not really doping in my mind if you actually need the medication and take it regularly, just a nice side effect!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
1) Just try taking the weekend off (so two days) to start.

2) Yes, it does.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I've never needed more than two days off (sometimes I do three in a week but never in a row.) I would suggest playing with your dose, you probably need a bit more. Try 12.5 or 15mg as a dose instead of 10 (just break up another pill and take a quarter or half extra), sometimes you gotta play around. On dexedrine my correct dose was 7.5, and I'm a 190lb man, but body weight doesn't play into it as much as you'd think because it's a psychiatric mediation and everyone's brain chemistry is different.

My girlfriend who weighs 105 takes 12.5mg 2x a day.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

copper rose petal posted:

Believe it or not it actually makes a little sense, if you were paying cash for 90 tabs of 10mg adderall it would be about $60, but 45 tabs of the 20mg cash would only be about $33. Mine wouldn't cover any of it without a prior authorization (it's like $45 what the hell) but that dosage combo is twice as expensive the first way he wrote it. Ah, insurance.

Is is really that cheap? Last I checked, generic dexedrine had jumped to like over $500 for 90 pills. I would have assumed adderall would be the same way?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yes. It used to be reasonable when I was a kid (for generics) but the last time I checked my desoxyn (generic) was about $4.50 a pill. I luckily have insurance now that covers most of it, but I was looking at my girlfriend's generic dexedrine script and it said the price billed to insurance was near $600.

I don't know about adderall as I haven't taken it in years but there was a big shortage of all the ADD stims when the price first started to rise so I'd have to imagine adderall was a part of that too.

What country are you in?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Wow, I could get behind those prices for sure!

At any rate, I don't know if you've tried dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) or if it is available in Germany but I would recommend that over adderall, I think generally it's a bit better tolerated and basically is just the most therapeutic component of adderall packaged on its own. Generally it is more available outside the US than Adderall is, probably mainly because it is one of the older drugs used for ADD.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah it often is misdiagnosed as depression or anxiety.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Usually I am just like "where is that.... thing? You know what thing I mean, it's the, uh, thing that you use to do... stuff...."

And then people look at me like I am insane. :)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I have a bigass vocabulary but sometimes when my medication has worn off I mix up the simplest words and it's pretty hilarious. I have to pause, mentally rearrange my words, then try again.

I also totally talk to myself when I need to think things through. I use hand movements too.

My partner and I are both super ADD so sex can be pretty funny/terrible sometimes. She's really bad at keeping a steady pace, and one of us will often say something random about groceries or the cat or something that happened at work today and then we both just start giggling and totally lose the moment. Definitely want to take my meds prior to getting jiggy if I want to have the best possible sex.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 26, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
If only he knew how good he has it. I'm always super tired at night, even when I haven't worked a 12 hour shift, but in the mornings I am ready to go. Too bad my girlfriend hates the mornings, and even when she's willing to let me go at it she basically stays half asleep the whole time. :(

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I had a hosed up upbringing and was actually on medication during some of the worst of it, which sucked because I would get in trouble for being depressed or having rage problems when my meds wore off (especially adderall XR), and my parents blamed those emotions on me and my "inability to manage myself" and had me to all sorts of therapists and poo poo before I finally realized in high school "oh, actually this is my meds making me feel like this."

My parents may have meant the best but they have mental instabilities themselves and they definitely did more harm than good with the way they responded to the side effects of my medication, and my behavior in general - though if I hadn't been on medication at all when I was younger I would probably have ended up waaaay worse than I did in the long run. They made it seem like every little thing I did that they didn't like was a huge failing on my part and made me "weird" and "bad" and I would never amount to anything if I kept acting that way. Example: "you got a B on a test? OK, that means you are going to end up either on the street or in prison you gently caress up, why can't you just try harder? You'll never amount to anything with this attitude, which is why we are making you retake the class next year. You better hope you get an A in it."

I think the only reason I didn't kill myself or w/e was because it was super, super obvious that I was actually pretty drat normal and my parents were just totally off the deep end, so I just kinda knew that I'd be OK once I hit the real world. I was right, too. Though I eschewed my meds for a few years after high school and kinda just spun my tires in place until I realized that they actually did help me and - what do you know - coming down from them is a lot nicer when you don't have a crazy parent riding your rear end telling you you'll never amount to anything/are an rear end in a top hat every drat evening.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 31, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Jesus christ that is about 1000x worse than I had it. :(

But yeah that poo poo definitely doesn't help memory/motivation/anxiety/depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I don't really have any advice other than go easy on that, Wellbutrin can lower your seizure threshold and stopping klonopin can cause seizures, so you're gonna want to go real slowly.

Holy cow though that's a cocktail. Kinda seems way overkill.