Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Could anyone recommend a good online multiplayer game that is fairly pick up and play and doesn't require regular commitment? Preferably an action game or action RPG? My PUBG group is getting tired of the regular aimbotters and losing interest in the game so if like to find something new to keep the same people together. Probably not another competitive shooter which might have the same issues with cheaters, and nothing that requires hundreds/thousands of hours of getting good like DOTA or LoL, just something that could be satisfying to play together for two or three houts a night once a week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thabk you for the recs, I think I'll float Risk of Rain 2 and Ember Knights see if either vibes with the gang

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Subnautica has a heavy gathering/base building focus and is an incredible exploration game on top, would that sound any good?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

thank you for this! I've put about two hours into it so far today and I've taken to it quite well

:cheers:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Very confused at disliking Shovel Knight because of the momentum-based gameplay, it has very rigid movement!

But also, try the one of the better Igavanias maybe? Symphony of the Night or Aria of Sorrow would be good launching off points

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hack and slash with a zero to hero narrative? Say no more:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/987400/Disneys_Hercules

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Breath of the Wild and Morrowind are two of my favourite exploration-focused open worlds, but they're pretty obvious choices and you might have played thrm already?

Xenoblade Chronicles X also really activated that part of my brain and looks real nice upscaled on an emulator, but the game really falls apart in the last third

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oh yeah Subnautica is a really good call too!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vookatos posted:

Yeah, obviously familiar with those ones. Kinda hated Xenoblade after the first game (haven't tried X, but played 2 which provided a similar thing but had a bad story, and 3 which I thought was bad in both departments)

I specified X because it goes way, way harder on the open world exploration than any of the others. It has the worst plot of any of them too but the easiest to ignore too, I enjoyed it for a good 60 hours just exploring this stupendously huge and detailed alien planet

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Super Mario Bros X. There's some really good modules that keep you in your toes without getting romhack-sadistic, it's like playing through the memory of the 90s games with new level design and gimmicks

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you don't mind Long games I think the Trails series might be right up your alley? Trails in the Sky especially is a ticket right back to PS1 gaming

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The good era Silent Hills. Very few jump scares, survival horror gameplay and indescribably hosed vibes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pierzak posted:

So which ones?

1-3, 4 is you're feeling generous.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Faith absolutely has jump scares, though I'm squeamish with them too and I could through them

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Naramyth posted:

I want to play BATTETECH but HBS’s engine runs so poorly and ultimately I wind up just doing another career run with different mods until I get assault mechs and get bored with the same 8v4 fights. Is there a not battletech out there? Doesn’t have to be mechs, or even sci-fi but do want turn based, maybe a career mode, not Battle Brothers or WarTales. I really bounced off of them.

Front Mission? It's much more story based but otherwise exactly what you're looking for I think?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

An Actual Princess posted:

are there any games focused around exploring or being in places where people used to be or should be and now they aren't, for one reason or another. genre not super important but i'm not mega into survival poo poo and i know there are a couple games that would hit the vibe in that genre.

i just love exploring abandoned places, or something that kind of evokes that """"""""liminal""""""""""" feeling

Try Hyper Light Drifter. It's a game entirely about exploring all the hidden and forgotten corners of a ruined alien world, goes really deep into secret areas and finding places off the beaten path

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Are there any high quality classical platformers I could pick up in the Steam Sale? Not a metroidvania, not an extreme suffering & systems mastery game, not storygame just using platforming as its medium or a puzzle platformer, just like a Mario style game with good running and jumping and enough difficulty to stimulating?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thank you for all the recs, I have played most of the bigger names there already but a few of those Indies look interesting! Grapple Dog looks like a game based around the Worms ninja rope mechanic? I think I'll try that out

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Rabi-Ribi and the more recent TEVI, while being 2D platformers instead of top-down, might fit the bill, being metroidvanias that have a heavy focus on bullet-hell mechanics, gearing up, and bosses with crazy patterns.

Even more so than above, The Knight Witch is a bullet-hell focused metroidvania ARPG: not top-down but you are flying about so it technically is.

It's not out yet, but Rabbit and Steel is an action roguelike that aims to provide a MMO raid experience through bullet-hell mechanics. Could maybe check out their previous title Maiden and Spell.

Not sure what kind of state it's in nowadays, but Realm of the Mad God would be a pretty close fit.

Other than that, some other games that might fit but are a bit different would be The Hammerwatch Series, Wizard of Legend, The Magicka Series, One Step From Eden, CRYPTARK, Voidigo and Holocure.

drat Rabbit and Steel is such a cool idea for a game, FF14 dances with top down shooter mechanics looks so fun!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dome Keeper is a mix of grid based mining for resources and base building and defence using those resources? Sounds exactly like what you're asking for

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

has anybody made a Stardew Valley in space? I will also accept Caesar 3 in space. do not say ixion.

Rimworld, kinda? Slightly different perspective on events but everytbing down to the farming and relationships is there

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fighting Elegy posted:

what is the absolute best Bomberman game to play single-player?

I used to love that fun little guy as a kid, but I feel like I can barely remember the games nowadays. I suppose what I'm most interested in is mixing up the mechanics for puzzles, weird twists on the gameplay, powerups.

I know some of the Bomberman games are action RPGs with exploration and leveling up and/or permanent upgrades. That kind of stuff doesn't necessarily make a game better to me. I have no issue with it, but I'm also completely cool with just being dropped into a level and losing all power-ups when I die.

Bomberman World (EU) for the absolutely insane voice acting

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Looking for a game (preferably an RPG / Action RPG of some flavor, but I'm willing to entertain other suggestions) that really rewards exploration - I guess something like the Souls games that kinda captures that old-school SNES era of game exploration where you might stumble across some really cool optional area or a strong piece of equipment that you wouldn't find by just blitzing through the game. I'm playing through FF7 Rebirth right now and while I'm enjoying it a lot overall, one thing that is kinda disappointing is that the game basically just drops all the important upgrades right in front of you in extremely obvious, specially colored chests that you have to actively go out of your way to miss, so you never get that feeling of finding a briefly overpowered weapon or some hidden gear that will make the next boss fight easier.

Is there anything else out there that might scratch this itch? I've gone through most of the obvious stuff (Souls games, Skyrim, BG3).

Hyper Light Drifter is extremely this. It captures a very certain feeling I got from playing ALttP as a kid in finding a hidden cave behind a waterfall or a cave system inside a cave system that very few games even try to go for but really set my brain on fire. If that's the type of feeling you're looking to capture I'd really strongly recommend it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I got a new PC and would appreciate a list of gorgeous games, specifically single player games.

Cyberpunk 2.0 is an obvious choice, I just got done playing Dragon's Dogma 2, and I've bought but haven't played the first FF7 remake.

What are some other options? Armored Core 6?

The Horizon games? The second one apparently received a fantastic port