Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008
Any recommendations for games similar to FTL? In particular, I like the subsystems, damage control, and upgrade aspects. Lately I've been playing around with Bounty Train but it still needs a little polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

gohuskies posted:

Shadows of Mordor and Batman Arkham Asylum and City are all excellent third person action, I'd highly recommend all three.

This is a good recommendation, also Sleeping Dogs has good similar-style combat.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is kind of a weirdly specific request, but are there any games for iPhones that involve managing a small community over several generations? Some examples of things I feel fit that description (not all iOS) are King of Dragon Pass, Banished, Crusader Kings, even the Sims kind of (although that's less of a strategy game than the others).

It's a lot simpler than any of those examples (and doesn't span generations, I hope that's not a deal-breaker), but I played and enjoyed rebuild on Android a while ago. It appears to be available on iOS!

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

What's the best Mafia strategy game? I played Gangsters: Organised Crime a while back but that's about it.

I am pretty sure the only modern mafia-based strategy game is Omerta: City of Gangsters, and even that is a few years old.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I love, I mean, love Culdcept Saga, but I no longer have an XBone or PS2.

What is the closest sort of board game/card game/adventure/grinding simulator out there? I'm on a pretty hefty PC rig.

Give Hand of Fate a look, it might do the trick.

e: I forgot about Armello which is another good prospect. It's lovely, very polished and VERY board gamey.

Jinkeez fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 18, 2016

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So I played the hell out of Rebel Galaxy a while back and have been looking for something along that same vein and nothing really seems to scratch that itch.

You might find the combat in EverSpace satisfying, although it's a progressive roguelike and therefore has no real economy. You'll spend the money you earn (in a use-it-or-lose it fashion) to improve your stable of ships between runs.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Lemon posted:

I'm looking for games to scratch a particular itch that I can't quite define. Sort of... Simulation/Management/RPGs?
-
So, pretty weird and specific I guess but, any suggestions? Oh, and PC Only!

I probably wouldn't have suggested this if you didn't put Elite Dangerous on your Decent Examples list, but have you given a look at Objects in Space?

https://youtu.be/BXHVzX6viNA

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

grill youre saelf posted:

Looking for a game where i can build/manufacture/gather a good and sell it. The catch is I want to "corner" a market. or i want the quality of my good to be superior everyone wants to buy my good.

I haven't played Production Line since very early on in its development, but I believe it has the competitive market you're looking for.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Riatsala posted:

I'm looking for a mystery or puzzle game to play with my gf. We really enjoyed Tangle Tower and Sherlock Holmes: Crime and Punishment on the whodunnit end and Machinarium on the point and click puzzle game end. We bounced off of Monkey Island for the humor being a little corny and grating. Between us we have a Switch, a high-end PC, and Apple/Android tablets. Any recommendations? I might see if Neverhood is available on GOG or just straight-up abandonware, now.

If you can tolerate occasionally having to shoot monsters in fairly unsatisfying combat sequences, The Sinking City shares a few earmarks with the Sherlock Holmes games, insofar as the clue-finding and deduction (with nearly the same mind-palacey type screens and everything). It feels a lot more repetitive and samey than Sherlock, though, as most of what you wind up doing is figuring out where to put the next waypoint on your map, so this is somewhat of a grudging recommendation.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been on a big classic x-com kick lately and I want something new in the genre but I feel like I've played it all. Are there any obscure gems I've missed? In particular I want turn based tactical combat with (A) Expendable rookies that die often, (B) constantly unlocking new stuff to kit them out with, and (C) some kind of strategic/geoscape layer, not just going from mission to mission. Time Units are good, as is free-aiming (at any tile instead of just at enemy targets), etc.

Games I've played that are like what I'm looking for:
UFO Defense
UFO Defense + X-Com Files mod
UFO Defense + Warhammer 40k mod
TFTD + WotS mod
Xenonauts
Chaos Gate (the 1998 one)
Silent Storm
Jagged Alliance
Abomination
Incubation
Phoenix Point
Battle Brothers

I never really got into x-com apocalypse so maybe I'll give that a go? Something about it never clicked with me but I haven't tried in over a decade. I also apparently played a fair bit of 2010 x-com clone UFO: Extraterrestrials and I remember liking it but I don't know if it's worth going back to now.

You should check out Shadow Watch, it's absolutely a classic! Nifty art, your guys level up, and just a terrific soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008
What about the Expeditions (Conquistador, Vikings, presumably Rome, though I haven't tried that one) series? The turn-based combat system isn't too bad, and there's a fair amount of party customization/leveling IIRC.