Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Technique posted:

To be fair, "lying on the floor being depressed" is basically Beef's hobby.

Trashsspotting.

Did you guys complain as much as this when we never heard good things about Ray's dick? http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03112005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Nick at Nite posted:

Did that take half a year...?

I was referring more at the fact that everyone WANTS this arc to CONTINUE no matter what, but your point is strong as titanium indeed. :(

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

IF the dude has any depression, it's only related to his artistic medium. His twitter makes Onstad's life sound like a 24/7 party of fine dinin', wild cooking, car-crashing, and falling down the stairs. Such a life would not lead me to suicide.

Also, fat dachshunds and parenting.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Jeez, guys, just go read this tweeter already. He's fine and having family time at the grandparent's. I bet Onstad is getting all the feedback he needs (and can check in his limited time in between foodie-related events and achewood) from the facebook page and/or twitter, as they seem to be what gets updated the most lately.

..drat, Achewood went social networky in a very sneaky way

http://twitter.com/!/achewood

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Well I want to see more comics too, of course I do, I just don't feel like Onstad owes me anything because I'm getting all of this for free so I'm happy to take whatever I get. If there's no new comic for awhile, that sucks, but I'd rather get a comic from him when he's happy with whatever he's produced than see him forcing them out to meet some arbitrary quota like he was a newspaper strip.

It's not that we're demanding content, me, I just want to know where he is getting the income to party like it's 1999 in the culinary world. Keeping a regular schedule is key to keep regular readers and bring in new ones, and without a regular free schedule I don't know if the book sales are enough or whatever. (Since even the store is closed) It's the way I care for the man. (haha, remember when I suggested mon-wed-fri updates and even Onstad bit my head off?)

Bill Watterson (kinda) hated sabbaticals because reruns can only get you to a certain point, before the readership realizes they don't miss the characters and move on. =(

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

poor and weird posted:

I have a gut feeling that trying to start an all new webcomic from scratch would end up just not working out. The dude's talented enough to make the jump to full on prose, though, I'd love to see him do it.

He's the only one who can tell what would work best for him and I have confidence in him, I'll follow whatever he does.

The funny thing is he'll never read these posts again. Onstad strikes me as the dude to go all 'change password again? 13 characters or more? gently caress that-' when the forums inevitably ask to update his password. Some of these sentiments should be forwarded to him via twitter, though.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Locus posted:

Or he wants some middle ground between "here is a new comic every other day" and "no Achewood forever".

What could be a good middle ground though? One strip a month? That's kinda what we get now, and apparently isn't good.

I don't read it, so I don't know what's up besides a vague idea, but isn't this what Octopus Pie does? Update massively, every few months? I was of the idea that Achewood was the main thing that Onstad did for income, but apparently that's not the case anymore, with the store closed and all. What I mean to ask is, how do the comics that have lots of time in between updates survive? Only because the artists have other sources of income and the fans are willing to wait?

I'd hate a future where the Octopus Pie method is what happens, and the fanflow subscribers get to see the daily/whatever progress on the strips before they are all released at the end of some months.

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 6, 2011

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Syrant posted:

As far as I'm concerned, as someone who has not bought anything but the first book, Onstad owes me not a drat thing. It's his comic and unless you actively subscribe I don't think anyone has a reason to bitch about it. Yea, it sucks, but if you keep focusing on that you're going to make it harder to enjoy what there already is.

No one is demanding anything, it's all idle speculation anyway since no one has the balls to straight up write chris@achewood.com and say 'hey buster, your fans, the people who love your creative output, and love to give you money in exchange for products related to it, are worried about the future of the strip, and also kinda don't like how you've vanished without pretty much no other explanation for the hiatus, other than "brain problems," when they'd be pretty understanding and happier, were you to provide an explanation. '

Also goons are mystified or terrified of twitter it seems, where Onstad updates about his holiday in Orlando.

To sum it up:

a) Goons don't demand anything, they just worry about the future of the strip
b) They would like a certain explanation for the lack of updates
c) a stable schedule of updates would be nice too but not a must

I'm probably wrong, but that's how I'd sum up the feelings of the thread these last pages.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

McGravin posted:

Even if we were to place value on the time it takes to produce something and the time it takes to enjoy that thing, the "15 hours/15 seconds" thing is a huge fallacy. Yeah, it takes 15 seconds to read, for one person. Multiply that by the several thousand people who will read it, and suddenly the scale is tipped in the other direction.

Don't forget, I may have spent 15 seconds on reading the most recent comic, but I CHERISH the gently caress out of my self-published books, and my GOF limited edition tome, and guess what? I've spent a lot more time reading and rereading those books, which have the EXACT same comics that I had spent only 15 seconds on before.

It is really a moot argument.

Telex posted:

This isn't really anything different than your standard burnout that was probably over a while ago but again, tough to let go, shut it down, move on.

And for what it's worth, Watterson acknowledged that he kept on with Calvin longer than he wanted to, but it's tough to walk away from a steady gig. Lots of artists do it, it's really, really, really common to keep at something long past the point where you really enjoy it, just because it keeps your standard of living where it's at.

This, however, isn't. Yeah, imagine having to let go of something you love to do, and which you thought you did it well. It's like unplugging someone's respirator, you don't want to give up until it's the only thing to do. I think that was the reason behind the long time without an explanation, too.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Van Dis posted:

What's it take to get an account approved on The Official Unofficial Achewood Message Board? I've been waiting for confirmation since Saturday.

Why bother? It's pointless as of Chris' announcement :v:

Seriouspost: goons always had the best Ache-discussion.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

That doesn't make it ok to inflict them on anyone. Any time spent on the phone with support is the worst kind of lost time.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

say no to bats posted:

I'm sure his "vanishing" from the public eye has more than a little to do with the fact that he stole a not-insignificant amount of money from a lot of people.

Hahaha It's not exactly the case, but it is pretty nifty to imagine Bill Watterson pulling a million gazillion preorders for the NEW NEXT Calvin and Hobbes book he's been 'secretly working on' only to vanish again into the woods a month later.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

withak posted:

You all have more faith in humanity than I do.

So... did you know Onstad would keep steal your money from the start?

Whatever expectations or artistic praise we owe Onstad, legal theft (of the "I take your money and you get nothing in return" variety) IS a serious concern, and he should get that straightened out ASAP, with refunds or whatever. The way he ended things caused nerds to go into a rage (with various degrees of reason as we've already been through) and hell hath no fury like nerd rage, adding fraud/theft issues to that is just asking for trouble.

This thread goes in some amazing loops of love and hate for the man, so, to add whatever to it, here's my one cent: I did order stuff off Achewood, back in.. hmm.. 2004? something like that. The shirt and books made it to me so late that I had forgotten about it, but I don't even remember ever paying for it, so there's that. V:shobon:V

EDIT: For clarification, 'cause I'm a dummy

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 11, 2011

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

I suppose in an ideal world, people would quietly email Onstad, or hit up his twitter, and then post here the replies (if any) they got, to update the other fans about the results, without name calling or animosity whatsoever.

I'd like to continue to know what happens with the unresolved orders (again, IF there's such a thing, and it seems there is) if only because the very same thing, with a bit of bad timing, could have happened to me. As cool as it is for Americans to be able to shrug off $14 for an unfulfilled order or whatever (and the time to deal with a refund and all that), for some of us the parity dollar-local money is killer. $14 is kind of serious business money for me, for example. Also I wonder if the creator of Achewood, the comic we discuss here, is just frankly very bad at PR/managing a business, or hates everyone, specially his fans. It's honest wondering!

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Achewood Thread 12: It's (NOT) time for the fan-fiction

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

A Tasty Burger posted:

I actually have a copy scanned up. I don't know what the legal situation on it is though. I mean you can't buy it anymore, so maybe it's okay? If it's all right with the mods I could toss it up on mediafire or something.

let's email Onstad about it, see if he'll reply to THAT. :v:

The cookbook was one of the self published things, so, I'm fairly sure no one would hit you with a cease and desist, but still, it's kind of wrong. It IS a great cookbook, though.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Jesus H. Christ posted:

Boy is it frustrating seeing all these recipes and knowing there's more and with Achewood style writing somewhere in the world, but not having ANYWHERE to buy it from, even used. I just want the book, name your price :negative:

also, please post Neapolitan Shooter :(

If only there had been 100,000 guys like you all ordering stuff from the store, maybe we'd still have Achewood. :argh:

Also wasn't the Neapolitan Shooter in some of the other services, like serializer? It's not in my cookbook.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

yeah, I was mostly jokin'. That said, I had the distinct idea that the Neapolitan recipe had been posted by Onstad himself, I don't know if in his voice or in something like Ray's Place. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Van Dis posted:

Today is four months to the day since Onstad voiced his disapproval of Comics Alliance's usage of "over" and "end" to describe Achewood.

So, four months, plus however time it took him to declare a hiatus... How long did it take him to 'miss it'?

Though I don't think any incoming Achewood content (if any) is nothing but something that Onstad did because he wanted to, not a push to keep Achewood or his finances aloft. I mean, dude can't be deluded enough to think that a) fans are going to trust him right away and moreover b) that money would flow back in as soon as he posted a new strip, like everyone is rightly saying, it would take MONTHS of new content to kind of restart Achewood as a cash machine.

I don't like what happened to Achewood as a whole, but I don't remember anyone giving a counter argument to what Onstad said about feeling formulaic and repetitive, and I think it's because it's true.

Someone mentioned it earlier, the cop out of the Williams-Sonoma arc with Cartilage Head, while interesting, was kind of the same thing all over again, down to the picture of 'I proved myself a coward' at the end. I think it does stand on its own, but maybe not against the astringent standards of originality Achewood set in the past (The Lonis Edison arc, for example, I mean, Ray walking back from Mexico)... wait, that arc abused the poo poo out of magical Mexican realism, which already had been abused. (Nephew in Wales). If anything what we had going on was the same key pieces and formulas, in different settings. This is just my opinion, and it's probably wrong because I'm looking back on Achewood on a wrong way or something.

TL:DR Was Achewood really becoming stale and repetitive towards the end? If so, will this hiatus ultimately benefit us all if it allowed Onstad to foodie it up enough to come up with new ideas?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Y'all are forgetting Steven, the waiter who was really strong but too nice to ever get ahead in life.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Cobweb Heart posted:

I'll promise a threefer, put up two, and vanish!

Makes sense, this feels like the webcomic version of that prank where you release in a college campus three pigs, each numbered 1,2,4.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

I was wondering why is he so drat scared of going back to regular, punchline driven one offs, and I think it's related to what he said about feeling in a rut, making a disposable product, and basically being burnt out, maybe more complex, 'deeper' comics are his solution to the problem, but dang, man, it's okay, you can be simple and funny sometimes too, you ain't gonna become Garfield all of a sudden.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Seldom Posts posted:

Seriously though, can anybody post a link to that comic where beef trades something to Showbiz for a computer when they're younger? I think it was a hat?

I know it existed, but I can't find it in the archives for the life of me.

Like Jerusalem said, it was in the old Serializer.net archive ( Maybe still is?) and thus it "shouldn't" be posted. (Jerusalem did you ever do a let's play for GTAIV)

I'd post it 'ironically' but I have all of the serializer stuff in an old IDE HDD I just don't want to buy an enclosure for. Maybe it is time, unless some other goon posts it.

EDIT: changed some punctuation to clarify

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 27, 2012

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

It seems to me that, more than anything, the man needs easy money.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

http://believermag.tumblr.com/post/18117161997/interview-with-chris-onstad-part-i-when-chris Part I

http://believermag.tumblr.com/post/18779782128/interview-with-chris-onstad-by-joseph-martin-part Part II Here he discusses the divorce briefly

http://believermag.tumblr.com/post/19736564596/interview-with-chris-onstad-cartoonist-by-joseph Part III Discusses the store in a question

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Dominion posted:

If he's the type who just doesn't want any merch out there for his stuff, which I think it's safe to say he isn't since he used to sell all that stuff, he should ask Bill Watterson how that worked out, and how much money Watterson got for all those stickers of Calvin peeing on things.

That's a real good plan except it's impossible to ask anything to mr. I-live-in-seclusion :smith:

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

One went up but it was completely fan-made and as a result the quality varied hugely. When the first Dark Horse book came out, Onstad included a lot of extra background GOF info that was very entertaining.

So the stuff in the Dark Horse book is 'canon'? I saw that he included a thanks to some website or something like that in that section of background info, and I didn't know if the dedication was to a real webmaster of that fan made site, or to someone fictional.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Goons got smash mouth to (kind of) eat the eggs, and now they have given Achewood an ending. Goons. They get things done.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Loving Life Partner posted:

I bricked an Achewood reference in real life so hard once. A friend was sharing some poem he wrote (yuck) and I read the last stanza out loud at the table and then grabbed my head and went "OHHHHHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!" pretty loudly and just got horrified stares.

The thing to do in this case would've been to share a poem of your own, in this case an emotional piece entitled "Anger's Pilgrim"

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

There's a complicated power dynamic in that house.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Go RV! posted:

I would pay a decent amount for an enlarged version of the "HUSH YE TO A MAN" and "A CHIP GOLD AND TRUE" panels.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05042009

Thanks for the idea!

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's still Mexican as a trope/device. Onstad is referencing Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

:engleft: Márquez was Colombian though.

For what it's worth I don't think all of it was bad, just horribly overused. It was perfect as a one-time thing, but then it became his go-to explanation for all the whimsy he wanted to add and that made it lose a lot of meaning.

"Whenever you see something like that, Mexican magical realism did it!"

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

I love me some space moose "I wish I was pure rubidium!" But I wouldn't call it a proto Achewood unless Achewood was starred by three Lyles and Teodor.

When the cookbook controversy first sprung around I also frustrated another goon into offering me $15 to shut up, I had to email him saying I hadn't actually bought the thing, and he thanked me for being so decent. :kiddo: That is my story thank you for reading it.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Toebone posted:

I don't want to get too into theorizing on the dudes personal life, but the alt-text on this strip makes me feel Rays rehab arc is at least partially autobiographical.

Woah, didn't that strip use to have a different Alt text? something about how the a trucker hat can hold the average barf? or was that from other strip/blog entry?

EDIT: VVVVVV yep, Thanxx

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 4, 2016

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

I'm the note that implies Pat would follow a soccer mom so he could slip a spiteful note under the wiper of her minivan

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

I am interrupting my bedside guitar, humming "love will tear us apart" just to set y'all straight.

Ray just wanted to meet Polly and hang with her and Connie in a dinner, but seeing Polly made things happen to himself, and in trying to control himself he squeezed his wrist which triggered a dormant hypnosis pick-up method Ray had learned in the... 80s, I think?

After that happened ( "ju want some mocha, chica? " ) Ray thought it was quick-Onset diabetes but Vlad "read" Ray as wanting to re-balance the universe by making Polly be with him instead of Connie, etc etc.

Achewood was amazing.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

what would YOU scream to kill a chicken

YOU SEMINAL TURD! YOU PISS FOUNTAIN! YOU'RE TEACHING THE FUTURE TO SUCK AND THE CHILDREN TO SWALLOW!

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I'm gonna click this link! I'll hit you with a rock, I'll do what I have to!

Oh yeah like you gonna probate him off Jerusalem

Like you really gonna go all pro ice all of a sudden

EDIT: Missed the obviousjoke the first time around

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 31, 2017

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007