Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentF
May 11, 2009

Repost from the warhammer thread posted:

Hey fellas, what do you think of this kind of thing?

This is a heavy weapons team that I completed recently. What do you think of the painting and colour scheme? All criticisms are welcome, especially if you have something to say about the basing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
CROSSPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Another crosspost from the 40k thread. This guy also seems to be covered in dust. I guess my painting area is dusty. These photos (and those I took of other models) don't seem to do the models justice. They look much better in real life, so perhaps I need a lightbox or something. I am aware that he is yet to be properly based.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

!amicable posted:

Everything looks flat. Did you do any highlighting?

Nope. I've previously used this colour scheme to paint a crapload of guardsmen and didn't bother with highlighting, so it didn't even cross my mind for this guy. What would you suggest?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I love how they suggest getting your gaming group to pool your resources when in actuality you'd want to be splitting this between 20 gaming groups.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Crosspostin' from the 40k thread:

So, I've taken the first step on my Daemon army. I'm pretty sure I'm happy with these guys as they are, though I'll probably do some improvements in the future. I wanted my Flamers to have a chromatic, irredescent look, so these have been "painted" by blending washes over white. I intend to do a similar scheme with my Horrors, although favouring blue to make them slightly more unified. Only the Tzeentch elements will be this colourful; I think it would be cool to have some black Bloodletters, or maybe with dark ashen scales over a smouldering red/yellow skin.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Painting genius thread, I would appreciate it if anyone could take a guess at how the red/black marbling effect was achieved on the armour plates of this model:

It looks awesome and I would like to replicate it, but I don't know how. I figure it might have something to do with washes, but even then I'm not sure exactly how.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
RAWR!

It's more orangey in real life. I need to figure out how to take good photos.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
The black bits look too flat and angular to be flesh, so I take them to be pieces of construct embedded in him. I could paint them metal to match the other mechanical parts, but I figure they might look good as chunks of obsidian or something.

The way I did this was a simple drybrushing approach. Undercoated with Sunburst Yellow, then heavy drybrush with half yellow-half Macharius Solar Orange. Then medium drybrush with orange. Then lighter drybrush with half orange-half Blood Red. Then selected areas are drybrushed with with red, then with Codex Grey, then with half grey-half black. There are probably more complex ways to get better looking fire/lava effects, but this is how I got the above effect.

AgentF fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 7, 2011

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Quick question looking for quick answer:

What's the best way to weight down the base of an unbalanced miniature on a 25mm round base?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Fearless posted:

Nickles work extremely well, they carry a little more weight than a penny.

Flipswitch posted:

Glue a penny under it?

I gotta find the equivalent in AUD. Is the exchange rate for value the same as the exchange rate in base-balancing?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Started working on this little guy:

I need to find a way to make his mouth more defined. Maybe line it with a fleshy colour instead of trying to darken it with wash.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

^^ What on earth is that? It looks pretty funky.

Bushwooly. Got it thrown in for free with some other miniatures that I ordered.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Looks like an excellent concept of a Slaanesh Daemon Prince.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
If that's what bad finecast looks like, then they should intentionally lower the QA for Nurgle models.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I built a disc myself by gluing two small flying bases back-to-back and surrounding it from spikes taken from various sources. I put a Chaos icon in the centre from the Chaos vehicle sprue and etched designs into the disc that I blended washes over to make it look irridescent.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
drat I've been thinking about getting a Nurgle Daemon Prince Gentleman.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I want to run a Nurgle Daemon Prince but I only have one of these Khornesque metal ones. What reasonable conversion work might I do to make it appear Nurglier?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Tadhg posted:

Where did the seat of her dress go? :ohdear:

Consider how tight this dress must have been. It's clear the seat exploded off her.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

L0VE posted:

e: Actually forgot about the best Spartan figure

Ain't no Spartan. That's a Roman.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I can't make out the little squares on that pitch. Isn't the game played on a grid?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Cross-posting from the 40k thread. I hope you guys like the way I painted my gribblies-riding-gribblies!

Musician

Icon Bearer

Herald of Khorne

Group shot

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

I am no doubt late to complain about this but i cant believe (actually i can believe) GW have put the DV painting guide only on the ipad. I have bought i lot of your crud over the years GW but i am going to have to filez this one.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Warseer

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Painting on the sprue. :getin:

They're looking good, but... why?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Oh mighty Painting and Modeling thread, what do you think of my Word Bearers Chaos Lord? Do you have any suggestions on where I should take it next? Is there anything here that doesn't work or could be improved? Do you have any suggestions about my technique?

Also the book sigil is a work in progress so it looks a bit naff until I redo it. Any suggestions about that would also be appreciated.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

Alright goons, I'm looking at this:

it is kinda terrifying me, how the hell do I tackle this backlog? Miniature at a time? squad at a time? I'm struggling to motivate myself to paint these guys.

This is why I've kept a (semi-)strict regimen of not buying any new toys if I have too much grey already. I wouldn't mind some DV cultists but they'll have to wait until I finish my Plaguebearers. A few grey squads is a backlog, but an entire army that needs painting is counterproductively daunting.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Working on a custom objective for my Nurgle Daemons. What do y'all think?

• Locked thread