Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I thought recent GTI reliability was supposed to be pretty decent (post 2010 or 15?) and certainly nowhere near being lumped together with the dumpster fire FCA products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Thoughts on something like this?...

You could also cross shop the Saabaru if you're going down that road.

https://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/d/bethlehem-2005-saab-9-2x-aero-wrxpriced/6809586134.html

Sans turbo
https://poconos.craigslist.org/cto/d/kresgeville-2005-saabaru-9-2x-impreza/6825889577.html

https://potsdam.craigslist.org/cto/d/potsdam-2006-saab-9-2x-i25/6803712723.html

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Drive one. I list the 2.5 Subaru one step above the 2.0 n/a VW on my scale of uninspiring motors.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Looking for a recommendation for my father in law. He is currently considering a 2014 Toyota Highlander. I haven’t been looking in this segment so I’d like to hear the hive mind opinion.

New or Used: either, preference for used.

Body Style: enough seating for 6+ people. So something with a comfortable 3rd row. SUV or mini van.

How will you be using the car?: this will be a third vehicle that will be used for going out when our family gets together, longer trips, 4/5/6 people and at least one car seat, will also serve as a cargo vehicle for trips to Home Depot and the dump. Will also tow infrequently a very small boat.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) Not sure what his preference would be. It seems like the new safety convenience and tech features would be nice for them to have. No Chryslers or Fiats. Or GM. They don’t really do”luxury” item on principle so I think an MB or BMW would be a hard sell. Also, reliability.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, not terrible mpg, comfort, ability to have everyone in one vehicle, AWD (the other vehicles are fwd).

They had a Honda Odyssey that they gave to my sister in law so I feel like they are looking at suvs.

$$ Somewhere from $15-40k?

Phone posting. I’ll touch this up when I get home later.

I’m in the US.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I also mentioned the new as of two days ago highlander to him. Not sure if he cares enough about the new tech to offset the new price.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

Looking for a recommendation for my father in law.

Follow up. FIL bought the 2014 Highlander. Will edit again once I see it.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Okay saw the vehicle in person today. It's a black 2013 Highlander Limited with 40,000 miles; He got it for $21,500. It's super clean, he loves it, and it will be their do everything vehicle.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

How’s the third row? Legitimately curious.

I'm 6'3" and my wife is 6'. We could do it for a short trips < 15min but otherwise it would be okay for people < 5'10' or 5'8". Not a minivan for sure. On the other hand, we had test driven an E-class wagon and the reverse 3rd seat in that was a totally laughable kids only seat; it was much better than that.

E: New page, here have a stock image 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 27, 2019

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Everyone I see in AI that has a GTI or a Golf R bitches about how boring they are to own or lease and seem to spend their entire ownership looking for cars that would be “more car/interesting” and completely worse to own.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’ve had a mk7 GTI for about 2.5 years now....

I drive a 20+ year old M3 and a similar vintage Tacoma. My commute is 3 miles. I had a MKIV Golf for years and was unceasingly amazed by the quantity of stuff you can pack in a small hatch.

When the time comes I will happily dump both of my rides and replace them with a newish GTI/R/Alltrack + an APR tune (or better an E63).

I think they’re great cars; my comment was more for those that don’t like them to offer why beyond a vague “it’s boring.”

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

nm posted:

Subarus are fairly reliable on a day to day basis....

Throatwarbler posted:

...I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe them as unreliable in the way FIAT is but you can't really expect Toyota reliability especially not the turbos.

Can confirm. My wife has been driving a some 2.5 EJ variant for 10+ years, Outback and then Forester. Underpowered, noisy, and unrefined. Her 2010 Forester has head gaskets that are currently leaking and we're looking to replace it with a non-Subaru. We had a new outback loaner to drive for a couple days while the Forester was in the shop. It felt very unspecial and again anemic. I did not like the CVT.

On the other hand, I'd be much more forgiving if it were a turbo as it would have some pep, but as it is it both a dog to drive (with a 4AT in TYOOL 2010) and gets rubbish mileage. Will sever as soon as we find a good replacement. Looking at 2014+ Highlander platinums or E350 wagons.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

My wife and I are in a situation where we need a bigger car. We have a 2010 Forester.

The issue is that we are 6'0" and 6'3" with a 20 month old and another baby on the way. With a rear facing car seat and soon to be seatS, the passenger and the driver will need to sit diagonally because the rear facing seats take up so much !@#($U*@)($*@ room. We have been able to get around this temporarily by putting her seat in the middle. However, she is now quite weighty so this is becoming increasingly frustrating to do.

Unsure of how long we will have this vehicle or if there will be more children in the future (ie we'll get a van if we have more), we've decided upon a 2014 Toyota Highlander Limited, which appears to be a jacked up Camry. My FIL just bought a used 2013 (previous design) so we know the size is a good fit. It will primarily be the vehicle my wife drives.

2014 Highlander Limited with 60k miles for $20,500 everything included is what I have proposed. They have it listed for $24,900.

I've also never bought a car from a dealer before - always previously from private parties. They did ask if I would be financing; it doesn't matter to us we can do cash or finance and then pay off immediately.

I found one that I'm interested in but it's 2-2.5 hours away so I wrote the dealer and I stated what I'm willing to spend and if they are willing to accept this offer. I've C/P the correspondence below.

Is this a common reply? Basically I don't want to waste 5 hours to hear that they won't budge from their price and just want to get me in the showroom.

"Hi XXXXX

All negotiated offers have to be discussed in the showroom. We are unable to negotiate for a vehicle you haven't seen nor test driven yet. I would like to make sure the 2014 Toyota Highlander is still available before your trip. Please let me know if you will be making it in today.

Thanks
Lucy

Previous Email(s)
Date: 9/2/2019 11:18:18 AM
Subject: Re: 2014 Toyota Highlander

Hi Lucy,
I spoke with my wife and it looks like we are ready to buy the Highlander. Contingent upon an independent inspection and if you are willing to accept $20,500 with all fees included/total price, I would like to schedule a time to come in.

I'm available today, Wednesday, and Thursday of this week.

Thanks,

XXXXXX

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah i've had an annoying number of dealers pull that poo poo. Or the "never lost a sale due to price" and then go "yeah that's the price no budge"

Save your time and find someone who will work with you.

Edit: considering you're 2 hours away and they know you won't be in for service or maintenance, yeah, no incentive to work towards your business.

ethanol posted:

Having just done the dealer routine they definitely like to negotiate in person. But you are asking .like 2 k below blue book so you should expect chances are you'll walk away. I wouldn't consider it a waste to lowball dealers and potentially get a deal but when i was dealer shopping there was enough inventory of hondas and toyotas to look within 50 miles so I didn't waste time.

Thanks for the feedback.

If I can't get something in writing, I'm not going to waste the time driving to that dealership. I know I'm lowballing them but I'm not in any real hurry, I'm willing to travel for a good deal, and there is a redesigned release coming out soon (I'm not sure that this would affect used prices beyond people turning in leases in December increasing inventory). There is lots of inventory around (c'mon is a f*ing highlander) but this was the year/trim/color/price package that was close to what we wanted.

Additional question - with a vehicle that is 5 year old Toyota with 50-60k miles how imperative is a PPI (when buying from a dealer)?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

plester1 posted:

Get the drat PPI...

Get the drat PPI.

Solid post avatar combo bro. No need to hulk out on me.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Redesigned gasket and motor in 2011 Foresters. 2010 non XT still had the poo poo gaskets with Satan’s own 4AT.

I have a 2010 Forester with leaking gaskets.

100% budget for replacement.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

^ My first thought was Miata, although I've never owned one. 1

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Purchase update

My wife and I have been looking at a replacement vehicle for her 2010 Subaru Forester X for a while. The biggest issue (beyond a gutless 2.5EJ+4EAT combo) is that we had was that we are both tallish (6'3/6'0 wife's inseam is 37/8 inches) and we are expecting to have at least one rear facing car seat for many years in the future. This combo of tallness and rear facing car seat was extremely frustrating while shopping/driving cars.

We bought a van.

I was able to locate a 2018 Honda Odyssey EXL w/NAV&RES for a good price. One owner, 54k miles.

With my brown vinyl house and silver van, I am accepting the transcendence of caring about cool. No regrets, it's fantastic for the job we bought it to do.

It also has the most HP of any horse in my stable and the 9 speed transmission in the van makes the six speed in the BMW feel like it came out of a steam engine.

Paging suburban dad - you have company.

Shares garage w/dad wagon.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

A fully grown adult could fit in that thing.

You jest but wait until I take a pic of the booster seat I have in the basement. It looks like a tiny person fully bolstered Recaro. That particular car seat pictured has the max safety rating for the US, Canada, and Europe. But I would like to )#@$(*@ strangle car seat engineers.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Orvin posted:

I am thinking we will most likely end up in a Honda Odyssey,

I just went through this for our family. We have a two year old and a soon to be newborn. We test drove almost every three row SUV available from cheap to eye watering and ended up with an Odyssey. It just beat all of the SUVs in functional terms for our use purpose, which is not that far from yours. We are happy with it and have embraced the van-ness of it all.

One person's anecdotal $0.02.

E: Just saw the above posts. About the seats, OP has two kids, he is not going to be putting away the 2nd row ever so the advantage of stow and go is lost. AFAIK all third row mini van seats fold flat now - I can only speak to the Honda version and it is dead easy to use. They also as of 2018 have "magic seats" for the second row in that they can slide left to right in addition to fore and aft. So far I've found it helpful when I have two car seats in and I want to have passengers in the back I can push one of the second row seats to the center to make getting into the back easier (for grandparents). I took out the middle seat in the 2nd row obviously.

Your wife is right about wrangling kids, sliding/power doors, and sloping roof lines. My daughter still covers her head when I put her into her seat in the van because it was almost impossible to get her into our old Forester w/o bumping her head somewhere.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 30, 2020

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Been dumping too much repair money into our 2006 Odyssey these past few years, so looking for recommendations.

Have you driven a new Odyssey?

We got a used 2018. If you have the two car seats in the middle and removed the middle bonus seat, the 2nd row can slide left to right to allow easier entry into the 3rd row. We went with a van after checking out all of the 3 row SUVs for 3rd row people comfort and quantity of storage.

2018 EXL w/nav and res come with carplay, bluetooth, and all of those driver assistance things you mentioned and can be had for around <$30k.
However in Honda land, for just a little more you can get a new one but it will be the base model that no one wants to drive.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

SourKraut posted:

I was going to PM you and saw you don't have it, so thought I could ask here: what's your opinion of the 9 speed transmission so far?

The first 1-2 shift in the morning is laughably snappy but otherwise I’m happy with it. I haven’t driven the 10 speed - but I also don’t feel any need to.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

As someone who just returned a loaner vehicle to a dealership - I would advise against it unless it has an amazing warranty. I drove it like a rental.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

How does the talk in the recent posts hold for used vehicles?

My mom is looking at a 2018 Odyssey Elite. She doesn't need to test drive it and she'll pay cash so I don't think she will even need to meet in person with anyone.

But anyway, edmunds says:

Assuming the dealer paid around the "trade-in" value there, I'm thinking she shouldn't be paying much more than that during The Plague.

Thoughts?

I can’t imagine a scenario right now where I buy a car that is anything other than a screaming deal be it a Honda or a Duesenberg.

We got a 2018 Odyssey EXL for trade in $ via private party but it had more miles than the one you posted and two trims lower. My sister got a CPO 2018 EXL and I think she paid around $30k which was p much straight blue book.

All this was pre-Rona tho.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

limp_cheese posted:

The mechanic at the dealership wanted to buy it off of me for 5k even with the leak and I'm thinking about taking him up on the offer.

JFC take your car to an independent mechanic. Your valve cover gasket is $700-900 and should last another 100k that the first one did.

Taking a 10 year old BMW/any brand to the dealership is you volunteering to empty your wallet every time you show up.

It’s not just because you drive a BMW. My FIL took his 2006 Honda Odyssey to the dealership to be inspected. Quote was $3600. It needed a new catalytic converter that was quoted at a local shop for $250.

You are rightly scared shitless of future bills if you’ve only ever seen quotes from the dealer for this car.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that cat price is too good to be true and i mean in the "your FIL has a stolen cat on his car now"

It was just some no name universal cat they threw on a 14 year old van.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

A quick look on car-part.com for New England shows element engines with under 100k for around $1k. What does your mechanic want to swap it out?

https://www.car-part.com

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Orvin posted:

Finally got around to buying the people mover I had asked about awhile ago. Ended up going with thread favorite Honda Odyssey. The Costco price on a new 2020 EX-L seemed to be really really good. MSRP was a touch over $39,000. And the price we got was $33,6xx.

Cross shopping the Traverse, Atlas, and Odyssey, it was really kind of amazing how much space the van really had in it. Especially with the rear seat up.

It got a facelift for 2021. It sounds like a pretty good deal. Enjoy! Our 2018 is a great people mover. I just installed a hitch on it last week so we can haul some more stuff with it.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Re carseat chat: show me two 6’0+ human beings with two rear facing car seats with two two year olds in the back of a hatchback.

If you’re short you can drive whatever you want.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

Hi carthread- on our car seat journey, we checked out a few different models and decided on the VW SportWagen. The Crosstrek was a good option but it mostly came down to the (more fun) ride and finishes. The VW had a crazy amount of cargo space while fitting car seats, although the cabin was a little smaller.

Plus, we got a great deal on the VW so we’re ending up out the door on the top trim for under the car-only budget. Guess that’s the plus of a weirdo discontinued station wagon model.

Congrats! Post some pics. I thought the SEL interior/seats felt a lot better the the other trims when I was looking at them.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Pontius Pilate posted:

less ostentatious and, well, more practical, but I still want something fun to drive with a stick,

GTI or Golf R

Or as Koon mentioned a Sportwagon with, at a minimum, a $500 tune on it.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Steely Dad posted:

so I'm wondering if I could do better elsewhere.

30k gets you a used 5th gen odyssey (2018+) not a 4th gen.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Steely Dad posted:

True, but $30k is the top end of my budget, and I’d happily pocket the $7k-ish a 4th gen would save me.

Fair enough, I was just going off of the numbers you had posted. Make sure you drive both to see if it is worth saving the cash, there were a lot of safety, transmission, and infotainment changes that were made from one to the other.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I'm posting for my brother-in-law. He hit some black ice and crashed in his 2015 Acura RDX and it was totaled by the insurance company so he needs to replace it.

Proposed Budget: $16,000 ish

New or Used: Used

Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) SUV or wagon.

How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle? Live around Denver, CO. Daily driver. Driving into the mountains to ski and hike. They have a dog. They take some longer trips a couple times a year.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) He liked the RDX - but is contemplating something, in his words, "less expensive and more capable."
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)

If I had to guess I'd say reliability, cost, style. He looked at a X5 with the N63 V8 before the RDX and got (understandably) scared away from zee Germans.

3. If you do not live in the U.S. you should probably say so because what's available can vary a lot. Colorado, USA.

My first thoughts were towards another RDX. Then followed by an 4Runner or a GX series Lexus but his price point seems too low to get something that isn't 15 years old or have 150k+ miles on it. The premium on those in Mile High territory may be pretty steep as well.

A CRV would be cheaper but doesn't fulfill the "capable" aspect. I'm not sure what wasn't capable about the RDX, maybe he is thinking of getting off road some more.

Volvo seems like a possibility but I'm not familiar with which ones are good and bad after the red and white blocks came to pass. The Greely Era seems to be synonymous with poor reliability and durability.

Their other car is a Prius.

What else should I tell him to consider?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I agree. I'll ask him. Actually looking now he said "rugged" so I misspoke when I typed "capable." Either way that doesn't actually mean anything without some more explanation.

E: Okay, rugged in this case means something that the dog can jump all over and he won't care ffs.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 16, 2020

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

I'm posting for my brother-in-law. He hit some black ice and crashed in his 2015 Acura RDX and it was totaled by the insurance company so he needs to replace it.

So far he has driven a 2011 Outback 3.6R, 2011 WRX hatch, LX470, and a 2007 FJ Cruiser. He seems pretty enamored with the FJ. Any gotchas to look out for with that one?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

Proposed Budget: $16,000 ish

Just following up to say the my brother in law ended up getting a 2015 4Runner SR5.

E: I forgot the price. He paid $19k via private party which seemed on the nose blue book but he said it was a steal in the CO market.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 9, 2020

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

carcinofuck posted:

EDIT the second: TSX Sport Wagon? Looks pretty dang good in a 'not the crosstour' kind of way. Again, no touchscreen. Sedan handling, decent cargo, good mpg, visibility looks a lot better than the crosstour.

If you're going down that road you could check out the:

VW All-track
E91/F31 BMW 3 Series

These will handle better, get better mileage, and they both can come with panoramic sunroofs (many will tell you to avoid but I love mine). These are much smaller vehicles than your current beast so cargo will be up from a sedan version but down from what you have currently. They are also both obviously German so you will have increased maintenance compared to your Lexus or a TSX Wagon. The All-track is lifted a whiff so you might be able to do something softroad with it, similar to an Outback, whereas the BMWs are pretty low and handle better.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 21, 2021

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

M. Night Skymall posted:

Having just spent forever shopping 3-row SUVs, just get a minivan or give up on it. Or like maybe a suburban or something, but just highlanders/pilots/etc. the 3rd row is at least as uncomfortable as whatever your wife had going on. I ended up solving my "problem" (similar to yours, but 4 adults + 1 kid) by getting a Clek Foonf, which is 5 inches narrower than most baby thrones.

I have a Foonf and that fucker is GIGANTIC. Yes it's SKINNY but front to back with the rear facing wedge under it and the rebound bar it takes up ALL the space in my wife's Odyssey. I have some sort of Graco in my 3er and it is a much better fit. Unless you're attempting 3 car seats across, look elsewhere for something "compact."

(Caveat my wife tells me it is the safest car seat in all the land).

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

JnnyThndrs posted:

The Prius AWD barely an AWD system at all - they add a 7hp motor to the rear hubs that kick on when the fronts are losing traction, like when your front tires are on ice. It kicks off once you get over 6mph, and makes the car a touch slower than it’s already pokey acceleration.

This sounds like the precise use case for most people that think they need AWD.

“I spun a wheel getting out of that parking spot Margaret, this car is terrible; we need AWD.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

ethanol posted:

My rental car is a 2021 Ram 2500 and it's a beast. Kind of makes me want to consider a domestic full size over a tacoma. But they're all about 51 k with the options I want. Disgusting.

One thing that keeps bothering me is how LED headlights are basically standard on lower priced cars but on pickups they're only in the top trims.

I've called every dealer in 250 miles looking for a tacoma (edit: explicitly the TRD Offroad) and they're virtually unobtainable with no end in sight. As somebody who already bought a tacoma during the chip shortage this is several times worse than 3 months ago.

Anyways, just ranting.

Not sure if you need new but my brother in law has a 2018 TRD Off road taco w/45k miles on it coming off lease. I’m surprised that carvana/carmax weren’t able to beat his buyback price. He lives in Pittsburgh and I think you’re in CA?